American Idol: Day 1 of Season 11 Hollywood Week Ends With a...

With all due sympathy (and concern) for The Girl Who Fell Off the Stage, Day 1 of American Idol‘s Season 11 Hollywood Week will go down in the history books for starting with a whimper, and ending with a bang.

UPDATE: American Idol Full Episode Recap: Legend of the Fall

Indeed, over the course of the one-hour telecast, we saw the downfall of several high-profile auditioners — Jim Carrey’s daughter, the kid who dropped out of high school, and the bearded dude who kissed Ryan Seacrest on the cheek, to name a few. But “downfall” took on a whole new meaning with the final a capella auditioner, 16-year-old Symone Black, who delivered a sparkling, soulful rendition of “(Sittin’ on) The Dock of the Bay,” then attempted to field a question from Randy Jackson before collapsing with the speed and mysteriousness of Madonna being swallowed by the Smoke Monster at the end of the 2012 Super Bowl Halftime Show.

American Idol: Top 10 Auditions of Season 11

Sorry, that was a whole lot of sentence. But it was also a whole lot of cliffhanger, seeing how Uncle Nigel let us see footage of a crumpled Symone being tended to by Idol staffers, before foisting a dreaded “to be continued” upon the Idoloonie nation. Obviously, girlfriend is going to survive, although the show’s decision to not play Carrie Underwood’s “Flat on the Floor” over the closing credits signals the fact that Symone might’ve possibly been injured. One thing is certain: We’ll be tuning in tomorrow to see how it all plays out.

Also certain: I’m headed off to work on a full episode recap — UPDATE: It’s live, so read it here! — that will post Thursday morning here at TVLine. Until then, I’ll turn things over to you: Who was your favorite from Day 1 of Hollywood Week? Who was your biggest disappointment? Sound off in the comments section, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Irishize says:

Holy schizz, that was a bad fall! Steven musta been having some serious flashbacks ;) not to make light of it, that looked nasty. Boos to the show for leaving it like that, though, that was self serving crap. But of course we’ll have to tune in now, so that was the point.

• zingaro says:

TONIGHT’S IDOL SHOW-in bad taste.
      very bad taste. I am thinking that I will not watch the show tommorrow-in protest.
      Of course the girl is OK but should IDOL cash in? I am shure they have compensated her for here ordeal-but to lead us on-as I said-in poor taste.

• kyle92 says:

completely tasteless. that’s trash i’d expect from real world or hell’s kitchen, not idol. i’m done with this show.

• Karen says:

I have been an avid fan of AI for several years. After tonight’s disgusting antics, I am SO done with this show! Michael Slezak’s review is equally tasteless.

• SallyinChicago says:

You must be new to Idol. This type of stuff happens every Hollywood frigging show….!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Maybe he’s like Keith Richards – he’s been dead for ten years but no one’s had the heart to tell him. ;-)

• MaryK says:

Not the truth. I watch Idol every year, and nothing like this has ever happened.

• cathy says:

Remember Season 8 with Tatiana. They way they paraded her out in front of the viewers. The women was obviously mentally ill but AI producers played her for the ratings

• SallyinChicago says:

Does Steven have a heartbeat? I swear it seemed only Randy and JLO were animated. Steven didn’t say anything while the kids were auditioning. JLO and Randy were the most vocal.

2. What a crazy show. A lot of decent performers. I personally wasn’t shocked with any of the eliminations. I thought all those that got cut made it to this point with very small “Yes’s”. I thought Travis was good, but I agree that he doesn’t have enough to make it past this round. Jane was alright but I didn’t think her audition round was that strong, her going home isn’t a surprise. Same with Wolf and Romero.

Symone falling was crazy crazy. That’s really all I can say on that.

3. Andrea says:

I do believe that some people made it through the first Hollywood round on the strength of their original audition impression, because some of them, when you close your eyes and listen, just didn’t sing that great.
    Also, I think many singers are affecting their voice too much to make themselves stand out, singing with too many runs, vocal gymnastics, etc. Many of them may have done the job in this round because of the format of it, but it’s much harder to imagine how their records will sound because many of them lacked soul and relied instead more on vocal gimmicks…

• Ken says:

I agree with you, but this is the nature of Hollywood week. I think that the contestants feel that they need to show everything they can do but it always just ends up with some over the top performances that are just a little bit too much. I think the best hollywood performances are when they scale themselves back a little bit and give a genuine performance.

• Angela says:

Yeah. I understand they’re trying to show themselves at their best and all, but the overdramatic stuff needs to be toned down and people need to just SING. Girls need to stop with the whole “trying to be Mariah/Christina/Whitney” style, and guys need to quit trying to impersonate either the “screaming rocker” style or the Luther/Stevie style. Like my mom says, “‘Loud’ doesn’t automatically mean ‘good’.”
      What got me about the girl falling is how so many people, judges included, just stood there staring. I know part of it’s shock and part of it probably because they don’t want to get in the way of the medics or would be shooed off if they tried, but still, it just struck me funny to see everyone simply standing there staring in horror. I would’ve expected SOMEONE to move maybe a little bit right away, at least.
      I feel so bad for that poor girl. And really, Idol, we got the hint the first time she’d fall, I’m sure she doesn’t really want America reliving that moment a zillion times during the broadcast breaks and such.
      As for other less dramatic moments, I can’t believe that kid who went through and got voted off at this point last year had it happen again. I mean, he wasn’t the greatest, I didn’t think, but still, I felt bad for him, twice in a row like that has to suck. I was also really disappointed that Ramiro (I forget the spelling right now), the one who was deaf and had the surgery on his ears and everything, left. I was hoping he’d stick around a bit longer.

• Kim R says:

One word…..”hollerating”. :)

• SallyinChicago says:

They tell the kids to bring their A game, their best, and most if not all, go through runs and screeches to show their “range”….plus it’s nerves. It’s like a beauty contest — your bring your best curves, your best smile and some probably “overdo” it.

4. ladyhelix says:

Oh my gosh – my DVR cut off while Symone was still singing – I had no idea that she fell (I studiously avoid commercials – so I hadn’t seen the teaser).
    When I was 15/16 I used to hyperventilate and pass out (crumple to the floor) after every competitive performance (Solo & Ensemble). Without fail. But I was never on a stage that high! Sure hope she’s OK!!

• stella says:

my dvr (time warner) cut out early too. very annoying.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Did Idol go a few minutes over time? I always program the DVR so it continues to record for about five minutes after the program is over. don’t worry – you’ll be watching clips of that poor girl fall forever. I feel badly for her.

5. Zach says:

Girlfriend is gonna be fine. Lol’d @ Flat on the Floor,
    and did anybody notice Haley Reinhart in the opening intro? That was flippin awesome! March 1st ladies and gentlemen, March 1st.

6. Titina says:

This show is so predictable already. Boring too.
    So over Idol. Ugh. Thank god I did not waste my time watching this garbage.

7. Kristin says:

Pretty sure I saw Scott Dangerfield (amazing audition from last season) and Alex Wong (SYTYCD) at Hollywood week…am I crazy?

• darcy's evil twin says:

Yes, you did see Scott Dangerfield. Was he the one that quit last year because he wanted to graduate from high school, or finish school, or something like that?

• darcy's evil twin says:

Now I think I remember – he was a teacher and had obligations to his job and students. I also think he was the one that came into the audtitions with lipstick on his face!

• cpod says:

Definitely saw Alex Wong.

• Kate says:

Yes I saw Alex “Freaking” Wong several times also. Which had me completely distracted…why was he there, was he auditioning, was he there for support, if so why the heck is he in the front row BEING so distracting lol.

8. TOM says:

I am one of those older folks Symone was trying to reach out to . I loved her performance. I pray she will be ok .

9. Shelly says:

I saw Alex Wong too, yep that was him.

10. zingaro says:

TONIGHT’S IDOL SHOW-in bad taste.
    very bad taste. I am thinking that I will not watch the show tomorrow-in protest.

11. Amber says:

I’m bored by the contestants so far. Maybe I’m just singing competitioned out, because they’re all starting to sound the same. Decent enough, but there’s nobody I’m excited about right now.

• SallyinChicago says:

The point of AI is to “make” a star. These newbies don’t come to American Idol already polished. We watch their transformation. Maybe that’s why you’re bored. The Voice is different. The singers are already pros and given chance after chance and now they’re on TV for another chance.
      I like that AI allows us to follow the contestants who look like Muppets and grow into talented people.

• Amber says:

I like to see a star being made, but usually by now there’s at least 1 person that I really think is great or that I really want to do well. It may not be the same person throughout the whole season,but at least there’s someone to root for. That’s always been my favorite part of American Idol; getting invested in the contestants and watching the one or two that I really like and cheering them on as they go through the rounds. Right now nobody stands out to me, so I’m lacking that part. And I couldn’t care less whether they look polished or not.

12. Annie says:

Simone had one of the best voices of the night. We didn’t need to see the same mediocre singers that we saw during the auditions. I guess it’s a good thing that Simone fell, or else we would still think that no good singers made it through to Hollywood.

13. darcy's evil twin says:

I hearby crown Jane Carrey the winner of the “Could you have POSSIBLY picked a crappier song to sing?” award for choosing CCR’s ultra-silly “Lookin’ Out My Back Door”. Gee, what happened, Jane – were you unable to get clearance for freakin’ “MacArthur Park”? I’m not sure she would have made it much farther in the competition but a better song choice couldn’t have hurt her any.
    Someone else that needs to get the “gong” for their song choice is David Leathers for singing a Celine Dion song, “Because you Loved Me”.
    My favorites at the moment are Elise Testone, Jen Hirsch, and Lauren Gray.

14. Shejay says:

Stage Dad. Drama. Now everyone will remember Symone Black.

15. NJloonie says:

Did you notice how Nigel made sure he got a shot of himself calling for a medic? Duh, ya think?!

16. Jake says:

I thought it was incredibly tasteless to use real life tragedy a a cliffhanger to get you to tune in the following day– this is a new low

17. musiclady says:

People still watch this show? I stopped watching years ago and never looked back.

18. Lesleigh says:

That was a horrible way to end the show and hook viewers to tune in tomorrow night.

• SallyinChicago says:

That happens every year — where have you been? Have you seen the woman who walked out and they were trying to talk her into staying? There have been diabetics who couldn’t make it.

19. Ryan says:

I’m pretty sure that Symone will be the next American Idol.Her voice is really fulfilling my nerves. Fantastic indeed! Go Symone in every downfall u had there could be rising tomorrow that will be happened.Just keep it up!! :)

20. Eli says:

That girl fell off the stage about twenty times over the course of the show- twice before each commercial break, sporadically throughout previews- enough already!
    Also, as much as I liked his audition, Phillip Phillips wasn’t great. Reed Grimm was also pretty bad.
    Even though I liked her personality, the judges made the right call cutting Jane Carrey- she was very karaoke.

21. Jared says:

Dez Duron (The Voice) >>> Creighton Fraker (Idol)
    Same kind of voice, except Dez was about eighty times stronger. And Dez was cut, while Creighton was not.

22. TVAddict says:

Mobile DJ was so good, I hit rewind on the DVR cranked up the volume and watched it again.

23. Octodad says:

*Cue 15 YouTube mashups of Symone and “Flat on the Floor”*

24. Melinda Doobig says:

Phillip Phillips was awful but I would love to have massive sex with him. I wonder if Heejun flaps his arms during sex?

25. Jj says:

Is idol still on the air? How quaint.

26. Grace says:

I took one thing away from tonight, and it wasn’t concern over some trumped up fainting spell, it was JEN HIRSCH! Where the F did that chick come from?? She gave me chills, reminded me of Kat McPhee’s first audition back in season 5. Here’s hoping she sticks around, I want me some more of that!

27. Jill says:

Alex confirmed on his facebook page that he was on the show. No more than that.

28. hillchics says:

“Fulfilling your nerves” = does not compute. And of course she won’t win, she’s not a WGWG (white guy with guitar)!

29. Christina says:

What a tacky way to end the show. Sure the girl is probably fine but you don’t leave a cliffhanger of whether or not someone is seriously injured. And the sad thing about it is Nigel Lythgoe is gloating about on his twitter and sees nothing wrong with it.

30. darcy's evil twin says:

I am glad to read other opinions about Phillip Phillips – he wasn’t that great last night. In fact, he was pretty bad, IMO. I would have put Travis Orlando through rather than Phillips based on the two performances.
    The poor girl that fell off the stage, Symone Black, was quite good but I sure feel sorry for her. I don’t know that it was necessary to show the clip over… and over…and over. Idol doesn’t know the word “subtelty” exists, that’s for sure.

31. SallyinChicago says:

Don’t cry for Symone — that’s the best publicity anybody can get on the highest rated show! Everybody’s talking about HER today.

32. Saracen Riggins says:

My favorite part was hearing Nigel say “medic!” Felt like I was watching an episode of SYTYCD there for a minute ;)
    AND! Alex Freakin’ Wong was in the audience! Why??
    I absolutely LOVE Heejun. He gives me the warm fuzzies.