Ratings: The Voice Is Very, Very Strong, Smash Opens Solidly, CBS' Girls Tops Its Men

Coming off of its Super Sunday opener, The Voice‘s regular time slot premiere this Monday averaged 17.7 million total viewers and a 6.6 rating, and more notably swelled in the demo with every half hour (starting at a 5.3 and ending at a robust 7.7). That’s markedly higher than last April’s well-received series debut, which aired on a Tuesday and did 11.8 mil/5.1.

Leading out of The Voice, Smash started off with a 4.2 demo rating, then slipped to a 3.4 come its second half-hour, averaging out to a 3.8. Relative to NBC’s most recent drama premieres — Playboy Club (1.6), Prime Suspect (1.4), Grimm (2.1) and The Firm (1.8) — the musical newbie more than doubled all but one of ’em. Smash‘s total audience of 11.5 million viewers also trounced those four, with Grimm (6.6 mil) coming the closest.

NBC also notes that Smash‘s 3.8 is the best demo rating this season for a 10 pm drama on any network.

Michael Slezak’s Smash Premiere Recap: A Tale of Two Marilyns

Among The Voice‘s casualties:

* Fox’s House (with 7.2 million viewers and a 2.4) dropped 17 percent, while Alcatraz (6.8 mil/2.2) was down 19 and 21 percent.

* CBS’ sitcoms held steady in total audience but saw declines in the demo: How I Met Your Mother (10 mil/4.0) dipped a tenth, 2 Broke Girls (11.4 mil/4.3) slipped 6 percent, Two and a Half Men (13 mil/4.2) was down 9 percent and Mike & Molly (11 mil/3.4) dropped 11 percent. (Did you see what happened there? Broke Girls topped the mighty Men in the demo!)

* Gossip Girl (1.3 mil/0.6) dropped 7 and 14 percemt, while Hart of Dixie (1.5 mil/0.6) was flat.

* The Bachelor held rock-steady at 8.2 mil/2.6.

And in the 10 o’clock hour:

* Trailing Smash (11.5 mil/3.8), Hawaii Five-0 (9.8 mil/2.7) dropped 9 percent in audience and a tenth in the demo, while Castle‘s noir episode drew 8.7 mil (down 13 percent) and a 2.0 (dipping a tenth).

What were you watching this Monday night?

1. Tara says:

How did it do compared to Grimm’s opening?

2. DOT says:

I usually don’t watch TV on Mondays because nothing calls my attention bt I really loved smash and the voice it so much fun to watch I wish parks and recreation got these rateings that show is so funny! Its on Thursdays night on NBC WATCH! It comes back on feb 16 with guest star louie c.k

3. kirasd09 says:

I hope this doesn’t hurt Alcatraz. Excellent series so far.

• KS says:

What has happened to the CW ratings, I guess they would hit new lows amid the competition. Alcatraz :( Awesome episode :(

4. Guy says:

Loved Smash but scared for Castle that is for sure. As for Alcatraz its no good. I have tried it and i am giving it the flick.

• Steph says:

I agree Smash was really good. I’m going to be watching Smash instead of Castle now. Castle has been boring me the past couple episodes.

• DL says:

I’ll be watching both, myself, though I’m not sure which I’ll watch in its timeslot and which I’ll watch right after on the DVR. And last night’s Castle was tons of fun.

• Saint Alicia says:

Curious you should say that; I just stopped watching Castle 3 weeks ago (no regrets), and in general it seems to be shedding viewers like crazy. Hmmm…

• Allyson says:

I agree with DL – Last night’s Castle was really brillant. I was really captivated by the story, which is something TV shows haven’t done for me in awhile. And the two-parter for the next two weeks looks really fantastic. I’m excited to catch up on Smash on my DVR since it looks really great, but for me, Castle will always be my live viewing.

• sam says:

Castle’s got one of those 2 parters starting next week with jennifer beals — and those NEVER disappoint. I watch both smash and castle, but i watch castle first.
      I hate NBC — they should move these shows to tuesdays because i got my dvr on overdrive on mondays and nothing to watch on tuesdays and they insist on putting these shows on the most competitive night when it could be even bigger on another night — 17.7 million is certainly high for nbc but nowhere near the monster it could be on tuesday with zero reality competition.

5. Peter says:

Well if it comes down to Fringe & Alcatraz for the final renewal spot, I hope Fringe survives. Can’t see FOX killing 2 JJ shows in 1 year and it makes sense to keep the one closer to 100 eps.

6. GK says:

Alcatraz was really good and came into its groove last night. I hope it performs well next week.

7. Emily says:

This means that OUAT is still the highest demo premiere this year, right?

8. Mike says:

Yay for NBC. I hope this gives them a foothold to start building up a decent audience base again.

9. kevin says:

Hope Alcatraz and Smash survives if both rookie shows gets renewed for a second season.

• Sg.Grant says:

If they both get renewed for a second season, that would mean both survive. Poor wording from a kevin post, as usual. At least your caps lock key didn’t get stuck.

10. JMoFan says:

How come with all the commercials and pimping I saw for last night’s huge sweeps House episode it only got 7.16 viewers and a 10th place overall finish for the night and 9th place finish in key demo? That’s pretty much pathetic, it’s sad how far the show has fallen over the years. Why renew it at this point when it’s already long past it’s expiration date and looks pitiful. Any DVR additions in the future mean nothing, advertisers don’t care about who is watching the show and forwarding through the commercials they pay for. I hope this seals the deal, put a fork in it. Show is done.

11. Justin says:

Very nice to see Smash do well. I was hoping for a little more, but for NBC this is pretty fantastic. Hopefully they’ll continue with the same number of viewers.

• shaun says:

Considering the episode was out for viewing like weeks ago it’s amazing it has the numbers it does.May be higher next week.

12. :Lauren says:

I really hope that Alcatraz does not suffer because of this. I really enjoyed the episode last night. Why oh why do the networks always put the competition and reality shows as two hours long -they have killed so many good shows.

13. julie says:

Why don’t you add ratings from shows on basic cable? I would love to know how Being Human and Lost Girl did in the ratings

14. Jules says:

C’mon [H]ouse episode last night was one of the best of the season..and among the greatest of the series..I love it…
    Great/amazing face/off between hLaurie&jWright-intense chemistry….
    A bit dissapoint about the ratings…but seriously think/believe that my favorite addiction on Monday night is back on track
    2half of the season will be the best…
    Cannot wait any longer(another 7 days) to see Chase’s faith and if he’s gonna quit House’s world or simply claim the old “Cameron’s song routine(foreman too in ssn3,then came bck)”Need to get away from House&everthing around Him…..”
    As for Smash…I watch and had enough after 20minutes….BORING!!! Sorry NBC yr going straight to hell…

15. Dot says:

Next week smash is ganna even get more rateings because a lot of people saw it on on demand and hulu and didn’t watch it yesturday bt yeay go NBC!

16. Brendan says:

House and Castle both scored an ‘instant classic’ rating from me last night, too bad the ratings don’t reflect how amazing both episodes were.

17. Alex says:

I’m glad to see The Voice did so well! Those ratings are pretty comparable to what Idol’s been this season, yes?

18. Linda says:

Damn it! I was hoping Smash would hit Hawaii Five O’s ratings and not Castle’s. The good news is that quite a number of people tuned out the second half of Smash, so maybe it won’t maintain its initial lead. A lot of people check out a new series and then abadon it for a proven favorite.

• Amanda says:

The problem is, a large chunk of Castle’s viewers are the ones that would be watching Smash. I know a large portion of Castle’s major fanbase are musicians, artists, theatre kids (like myself), so some people are torn. I know a lot of people, including myself, are going to continue to watch Castle as it airs, and catch Smash the next day.

• Allyson says:

That’s my plan. My sister is 14 and doesn’t stay up late like me, and she wants to watch it too. So I DVR Smash to catch up on with her another day,and watch Castle live. And for those saying Castle has gotten boring, last night’s episode was brillant. and the two-parter the next two weeks looks realy intense. I’m excited.

19. Marie says:

I’m loving The Voice so far. The bantering among the judges is funny and the quality of the contestants is very good. Carson Daly seems so much better at what he’s doing, too, compared to last season.

• Bad Breaker says:

Let’s hope so but so far all he’s been doing is comforting family members. Steve Jones looked pretty good doing that too. It will be interesting to see if he improves from last year when he really starts to emcee…fingers crossed.

20. fernando says:

I enjoy Smash, I am hoping they stay in high ratings, i mean come on NBC needs a break. My fav. person so far is Ivy.

21. Allie F. says:

Smash will go to crash in three weeks. NBC has spent more money on ads promoting the show than on the actual production…..what does that tell you?
    As for House….plots getting dumber and more irritating on an episode basis. Enough. Perhaps it is time to retire!

22. Che says:

I think the fact that NBC offered the pilot episode everywhere and free to download from itunes could have affected the viewers.
    It would be awesome that ratings go up next week.
    I, myself didnt watch it yesterday because I have it in my computer already, but I´ll definetly tune in next monday.

23. Titina says:

I LOVED SMASH. Great show. Finally something fresh on TV and way different than Glee.
    Really hope the ratings hold steady or even increase! A lot of people already saw the pilot online so I have a feeling the show will continue to draw in viewers!
    I am already hooked!

24. Amber says:

What is this Smash you speak of? A tv show? I can’t recall seeing a single commercial for it.