Boardwalk Empire Exclusive: Paz de la Huerta Not Returning For Season 3

Get More: Exclusive, News

Boardwalk Empire has whacked Paz de la Huerta.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the HBO mob hit has opted not to pick up the actress’ Season 3 contract option, which means viewers have likely seen the last of her character, Lucy Danziger.

Introduced in Season 1 as Nucky’s (Steve Buscemi) unhinged mistress, Lucy spent much of Season 2 pregnant and shacked up with Michael Shannon’s Van Alden (the baby daddy). Shortly after giving birth, she went on a formula run and never returned, leaving the baby in Van Alden’s care.

An HBO rep declined to comment for this story.

De la Huerta’s exit brings to four the number of original Empire cast members not returning for Season 3; she joins Michael Pitt, Dabney Coleman and Aleksa Palladino (all of whom were killed off in Season 2′s final hours).

To fill the void, producers are introducing several new characters, including a rival to Nucky played by Bobby Cannavale.

Comments (37)

• I’m sure she didn’t get picked up bc of how gross she was. There are several blind vices out there that talk about an actress doing some disgusting things on set that strongly imply her. Plus she’s just a hot mess.

Comment by Jenn – February 6, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Being weird, looking like a forever lush looking for her next fix was part of her character. Now she did a good job depicting that character. Was it too close to her own life? I don’t know and I don’t care. Her character was not made to be liked. Who would really love, even like such a woman?

Comment by Cécile – April 14, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So long “tiger cub”!
    Bobby Cannavale + Boardwalk Empire = Cancellation

Comment by J Jackson – February 6, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!

Comment by ABC123 – February 6, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good riddance. Did not like her at all.

Comment by Erin – February 6, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That makes two of us.

Comment by godzilla's_foil – February 6, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. That woman could not act and her voice just made me feel as if nails were being drawn across a chalk board. Glad that she won’t be back.

Comment by SAM – February 6, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes. I have not liked her since the first scene she ever did. Worst character on the show. She doens’t seem to be all there anyway. She will probably show up to set anyway.

Comment by Tori – February 6, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She needs rehab she’s a falling down embarassing drunk

Comment by Sami – February 6, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ALEKSA! i loved angela. you will be missed! and jimmy too.

Comment by s – February 6, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news. I had resorted to fast forwarding whenever she was on the screen.

Comment by Casto – February 6, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks like she stanks.

Comment by Aqsa – February 6, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was good so its dissapointing she has left but I thought her exit was the right one for her so if they did bring her back it would feel really forced. One things for sure, its going to be a very different show moving forward.

Comment by George – February 6, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Somewhere, near a box of tissues, a 15-year-old boy is now crying.

Comment by Dwigt – February 6, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hahahaha hasta luego loca!

Comment by CJ – February 6, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Made my day!

Comment by damian – February 6, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess this is no real shock to me as it looked like they had no plans to bring her back when the character hightailed it away from the responsibilities of motherhood. I wasn’t expecting to see her again on the show. However, I think some of the people commenting are mixing up the actress with the character? The character was one hot gross mess, yes. The actress…well, I guess I don’t know anything about her, but I think she was pretty effective in that role. I don’t think the character was really meant to be loved by the audience or by other characters on the show. I also didn’t really expect to see Van Alden again, I’m surprised there is an implication here we could be seeing him again. I’m fine with the character of Lucy being gone, but I’m still reeling over the loss of Michael and Aleksa. That, I didn’t like.

Comment by Amber – February 6, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that she was good in the role; however, all indications are that this was the role she was born to play. ;)

Comment by MichelleR – February 6, 2012 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At the end of season 2, Van Alden was shown to be moving to Cicero with his new woman and baby- the town that Al Capone rose to power in rigging the local elections. I expect to see a lot of Van Alden and Capone next season, and I have no problem with that. As for Lucy, she definitely nailed the role she was given, though she’s not necessary going forward. And as for Jimmy and Angela, it’s sad, but there are plenty of other roles waiting to shine.

Comment by madscience – February 14, 2012 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t even watch this show and *I* know about her insane behavior so this does not come as a surprise. The real question is whether or not she again gets work.

Comment by Tracy – February 6, 2012 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s probably an alcoholic but i think she’s also a fine actress and did the best she could with what the writer’s gave her.

Comment by tim – February 6, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know nothing about the actress, didn’t even know her name until this article, but I think she did a good job portraying Lucy. The way she talked was somewhat unique. I didn’t expect the character to return anyway.

Comment by Danielle – February 6, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was one of the few interesting things about that show.

Comment by damn – February 6, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Singing with the choir here. Didn’t like her, never liked her, will be surprised if she shows up anywhere again.

Comment by Mikey72 – February 6, 2012 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A horrible character. Like her character the actress only acts because she is willing to take her clothes off. Good riddance.

Comment by steve – February 7, 2012 04:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To be honest, I thought she had been fired when her character left in the middle of Season 2.
    Too bad. Despite her problems, I hope that Paz de la Huerta find some kind of peace in life. I think she needs it.
    de la Huerta’s obvious alcoholism is something to be pity, not derided as criminal or semi-criminal behavior. Apparently, many are incapable of making the difference. Instead, fans condemn her because she doesn’t “behave” the way they want her to.

Comment by Rosie – February 7, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not surprised to see Paz go. Where could they go with her charachter? And…she’s no Meryl Streep although she was perfect for the role of Lucy. Her Lucyspeek was her actual speaking voice. A real Noo Yawk girl. Oh well, Lucy cought a train back to NYC where she hung around 42nd street getting occasional chorus girl gigs connecting with a series of sugar daddies until 1928 when she became goomod to a gangster who kept her in a 4th floor walkup on 32nd street until 1934 when she was found draped across her bed, dead of a gunshot 1 inch under her right eye. What did Lucy know?

Comment by Rese – February 7, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a man baby!

Comment by dave – February 9, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could have cared less about when they offed Jimmy, he was a dullard anyway, but I was sad when they killed off his bohemian wife! If they now write Lucy out of the show, they will be writing out most of the fun!

Comment by Koko – February 20, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hola Paz, soy Jesus Mª de Madariaga compañero del Colegio de tu padre para celebrar bodas de oro próximos 20 y21/4/12. mi tf. contacto 607382829

Comment by jesus – April 14, 2012 03:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I can see is thank GOD!!!!! She was awful….her real personality i guess oouzed out of the. Character…..so happy not to listen to her selfish whinny self serving entitled ass again….GREAT MOVE HBO!!! Way to go!!!! On. A side note,can’t say the same about you canceling LUCK.

Comment by Ted – July 4, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her voice was an affect to sound of the times. Really, do people not know this? She’s been in other films I’ve seen and done just fine. I even spotted her recently on a re-reun of Law and Order SVU when she was a kid. You people are too harsh. Her personal life is her own business, alcoholism is a disease, not a character defect. I’m sure every one of you complaining are much better actors, right? That’s why your casted for Boardwalk. Oh, that’s right, your not.

Comment by Tom – August 10, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You’re casted, rather than your. Before the grammar nazi’s start.

Comment by Tom – August 10, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *That’s why you were cast*

Grammar Nazi, reporting for duty.

Comment by ImSmarterThanYou – November 9, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, I thought she was a unique actress that really made the pathetic, conniving character of Lucy believable. I have not see her in anything else, but loved her method acting approach. Her character was annoying but she was a great actress to get so many people to hate her !

Comment by Leslie – August 10, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too thought she was a good actress and very believable as Lucy. Sad if she is an alcoholic and right on about it being a disease and not a character defect!
    There but for the grace of God go I! ~ Margaret