Pilot Scoop: NBC Orders J.J. Abrams/Eric Kripke Thriller Revolution

The Revolution is getting closer to being televised.
NBC has given the green light to the hour-long thriller penned by Supernatural creator Eric Kripke and exec produced by J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk.

Check Out TVLine’s Pilot Season Lingo Guide and Our Always-Updated List of Pilots

The project is described as a high-octane action drama that follows a group of characters struggling to survive and reunite with loved ones in a world where all forms of energy have mysteriously ceased to exist.
Prediction: I’m going to love it.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: News, Pilots

1. John says:

Any idea who they’re casting for this show??

• ChelseaOnNBCRocks says:

Whitney Cummings is female lead, doing double duty on both Whitney and this show if it gets picked up and Whitney still is on (witch it its, because it rocks Parks & Recreation and Community).
      Look for Josh Lucas in the male lead.

2. B says:

So does this mean Kripke is done with SPN?

• Kelley says:

No, I doubt Kripke will ever be done with SPN, but this is why he handed off the reins to Sera. He’s still involved with SPN, but in more of a background way.

3. me says:

Sounds interesting. Look forward to casting news.

4. Linda says:

Damn, too bad Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles are busy. ;)

5. Marc says:

Kripke’s been pulling away from Supernatural since the end of season five. He gave up show runner duties in season six and was only a consultant this season so he’s pretty much been done with it since the end of last season at least. This is definitely a sci-fi dream team, imo. Hopefully it gets a good cast, produces an entertaining pilot and goes to series.

6. Thomas says:

Hoping like crazy they cast Misha Collins.

• Asasa says:

I hope not. He is a crappy actor.

• Michelle says:

In your opinion. I personally thought he gave an amazing and very nuanced performance on Supernatural and not just as Castiel. On an episode like “The Rapture” the way he goes from playing Jimmy and then to Castiel was very impressive to me. You can see the transformation on the screen, and they truly feel like two very different characters—from the way they speak, the facial expressions, and the way they carry themselves. There are so many subtle changes that Misha made in his performance to easily help us distinguish the two characters he was playing. Also if you listened to the DVD audio commentaries of Supernatural, it’s clear Kripke doesn’t share your opinion that Misha Collins is a crappy actor, and so I have some hope that Kripke will keep him in mind when trying to fill the other roles in this series.

• Clare says:

Oh my God, it doesn’t take you very long to turn up does it? People like you are a disgrace to SPN fandom.

• alyssa897 says:

Clare, is your comment to Asasa or Michelle?
          Anyway, Asasa, you must be delusional. Misha Collins is an incredible actor and I hope Eric Kripke thinks of him for something.

7. Eliz says:

It sounds great, but it’s one NBC. They will inevitably destroy it. I hate NBC.

8. Laurel says:

All forms of energy non-existent? I’m just going to assume that this is imprecise wording and not a sign that the universe as we know it will be collapsing in on itself. Impossible physics aside, it sounds intriguing.

• Lee says:

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. I am sure they just mean electricity.

• Megan says:

Yeah, I also did a double-take at that wording. I get being vague to preserve the surprise twists, but there’s vague and there’s completely useless non-information.

9. Alyssa says:

Is this a dream? Because it seems way too good to be true! JJ Abrams Nerd Extraordinaire and The Almighty Kripke together?!
    I think I’m in heaven.

10. Luis says:

J.J. Abrams/Eric Kripke already come with a Scfi fanbase, but I dought it will last to long.
    NBC has it’s problems thats for sure, the show probly burn out like Heroes did with less the hype.

11. Clare says:

NOW PLEASE CAST MISHA COLLINS!

12. Harley says:

Does this mean that JJ is pulling away from Alcatraz DDDD:

13. Michele says:

I’ll just be over here, hoping like mad that they cast Misha Collins with a lead role in this.

14. kraftypixie says:

JJ has been ‘away from’ Alcatraz from day one. He did not think
    it up, he just got the rights to the story. He even says that in interviews about the show. I love Alcatraz regardless. I would like to see more of the LOST cast members on this next show.

• alexjones says:

JJ abrams is hardly involved in most of the shows that have his name on it, he didn’t have much involvement in lost, I think the last show he was closly invovled in as alias and that was years ago.

15. Tim says:

I’d have more faith in this it was on anything other than NBC (that includes Disney Channel)

16. Esther K says:

So the “high-octane” descriptor is merely clever and ironic? :P

17. Esther K says:

Also, I wonder what “forms of energy” specifically refers to. Adrenaline is energy… Green Lantern’s light is energy… So, is this a world with a bunch of floppy, tired people, or merely a world with no fossil fuels? (I predict a lot of walking.)

18. Ella says:

Good to see Kripke doing a new project, he has a brilliant mind. Doubt it’ll beat the awesomeness that is Supernatural though… ;)

19. Gwen says:

“An electrical storm over Nantucket causes all electronic devices to cease to function-computers, radio, even firearms-and plunges the world into a darkness humanity is unprepared to face. But as some people band together to help, others are building armies for conquest…”
    Oh wait, that’s a book called Dies the Fire. Got confused for a moment.

• Marino says:

There are many sci-fictional plots revolving about electricity disappearing.
      Christopher Anvil did it in The Machines Stop (iirc the change happened after a Soviet experiment in high energy particle physics gone wrong, but in his novel steam engines, diesel and firearms still worked);
      in Dies the Fire cycle (what the fanbase named “Emberverse”, as embers is what you get when the fire dies)a subtle change in gas behavior has made also diesels, steam (except very inefficent low pressure ones) and firearms useless, so society devolves to feudalism, muscle power and sword and bow.
      So, I wonder how Kripke will explain the phenomenon without risking copyright infringement issues (Stirling is a former lawyer, beware…). I’d go for something like EMP from a massive coronal ejection ( a kind of solar flare), with firearms and some old handcrank-started diesel truck still working, keep it simple.

20. GK says:

Dream team!!! JJ & Kripke!! A dream come true for fanboys everywhere!! This sounds exciting and its one of my most anticipated shows! Lets face it, Abrams or Kripke rarely mess up and this will be awesome! I hope it gets full season order at the upfronts!

21. Charissa says:

With JJ Abrams attached, it’s almost guaranteed a pickup. The pilot would have to be pretty awful to pass on it, given Abrams’ success rate of late. And with Eric Kripke writing, I highly doubt it’s going to be anything less than incredible. I am so excited to see what this show is like!

22. Stephen says:

You’ve got to love all of the Survival Shows…
    First it was Jericho a few years back, then it was The Walking Dead and Falling Skies last year… Now this? I probably will watch it…

23. damian says:

All forms of energy?!
    So there’s no wind, no sun, no steam, no fire, etc…
    I guess they just mean electricity can’t be produce anymore otherwise there wouldn’t be any life and certainly no humans.

24. Mickey says:

I’m really looking forward to seeing what Kripke and Abrams come up with when they put their crazy/clever heads together.

25. ginger says:

Too bad he didn’t get a major network with Supernatural. Maybe if this show works and he does well, he can do a Supernatural Movie. You know, take the essence of Supernatural and do an awesome Movie that represents the core of the show. It would be great for Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki. Maybe Jeffery Dean Morgan would be on board. It would have to be great though.

26. Elijah says:

Am just praying that NBC shouldn’t destroy this like heroes looking forward to the series and i think it will definitely be a hit banger

27. Carla says:

Okay, this is confusing. So ABC has some weight loss show called The Revolution, and now NBC might have a thriller show of the same name? I love Eric Kripke, but I think they should change the name of their show so others don’t get confused. I was wondering why Kripke would be involved in a weight loss show, lol.

28. Frank says:

I saw something at last years NY television festival called powerless .. Was actually really good , and EXACTLY this. Is it related?

29. Michelle says:

I’ve actually seen the pilot episode of Revolution. I was in Florida recently, and at Universal Studios the one day I was there they were paying people between the ages of 18 and 34 $20 to stop in a watch the pilot, then answer a series of survey questions about the show and whether or not they liked it and though it should air. It was good. I love the concept and thought it was well presented. Seeing Giancarlo Esposito as the “bad guy” was a bit strange, and there were a few kinks, but overall, I’d say I would follow the series. I didn’t recognize much of the cast (no, Whitney Cummings and Josh Lucas are not among them “ChelseaOnNBCRocks”), but I felt they cast wisely. I’m looking forward to seeing the show on the air. :)

30. Hi there! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

31. I really like what you guys are up too. This type
    of clever work and exposure! Keep up the very good works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to blogroll.

32. I signed to your rss; I am looking ahead to read more information like this.