Idology: The Redemption of J.Lo? The Return of Baylie Brown! The Death of Alicia Keys' 'Fallin'?

Week 2 of American Idol‘s 11th season might be best remembered for a montage that ended with Jennifer Lopez looking like she was ready to reenact the climactic scene from Enough if Steven Tyler and Randy Jackson kept vetoing talented singers and giving Golden Tickets to hot chicks with questionable talent. But is J.Lo suddenly the show’s voice of reason, or just the recipient of some really favorable editing?

On this week’s installment of Idology, Season 6 standout Melinda Doolittle and I discuss whether or not it’s a wise idea to put our trust in Jenny from the Block, why we’re excited Baylie Brown took a five-year break before returning to the Idol audition room, and which Golden Ticket recipients we loved and loathed from the San Diego, Aspen, and Houston audition telecasts. Along the way, you’ll get a brief discussion of bull testicles, a little Downton Abbey reverie, and a flashback to the former Idol semifinalist who comes up as the No. 2 result in a Google search for “Jersey girl on a toilet.”

So press play below, then hit the comments to share your thoughts on this week’s discussion topics. And for all my Idol news, recaps, and interviews, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Q says:

SEASON 11 I will not be watching. No BLACK Female singers made the Top 24. WTF is Nigel doing. I supported this show for 8 years and I’m very dissapointed.

• Bullissa says:

I’m sure you will still watch if you find somebody you like.

• Tim says:

I’m glad you won’t be watching, because that means you won’t be giving out any more spoilers in the comment area. Buh-Bye.

• jake says:

yeah no kidding, you deserve the WTF for putting out a spoiler without warning us first. you are, as Michael by way of Hugo called Randy last week, a dolt.

• Jason says:

Simon was the one who loved african-american singers. So he claimed them all for X Factor. Besides only Jennifer Hudson has had any kind of career. And that’s because of Dreamgirls not Idol. All the successful Idols have been white. I for one would not have cared if Syesha, Lil Rounds, and Paige(while Kaitlin and Lily were cut)whomever had not made the top 12. I applaud them for finally choosing talent over diversity for diversity’s sake.

• Bea says:

Melinda Doolittle should have won Season 6 and how is her career going? What a voice!

• HB says:

I get SO tired of people saying the JHud is the ONLY successful black idol! People…you need to understand that JUST because YOU aren’t listening/following R&B, DOESN’T mean it doesn’t exist!!!! Fantasia was the FOURTH highest earning Idol in 2011 ($4million) according to Forbes. She is extremely popular with Urban adult audiences and radio, concerts, etc. She also WON a Grammy as best R&B female last year. So open your minds!! I don’t like country, or rock but at least I know that there are idols who do well in that genre (I can’t name a song Carrie Underwood sings, but I know she does well). Conversely, just because Fantasia is not played on your local CHR station or you don’t see her on weight watchers commercials does NOT mean she (or others) aren’t doing their thing… POP culture is not the ONLY culture!

2. Q says:

lol @ Jacob Lusk and Danny Gokey.

3. Yep, it’s all about the Live Rounds. These edits made Ellen look good in Season 9, Steven look good last year, but then it becomes a muddled mess. Randy is pretty consistently meh during the audition rounds and live rounds so he’s not a good example of editing. And thank you for mentioning the fact Randy did NOT remember Baylie. Dude got the sheet of paper handed to him from the producers, and then goes and says “She sounded better than before”. He doesn’t remember what he ate last night for dinner, let alone a girl from 5 years ago. But you guys are right about J.Lo, she has good weeks, she has bad ones, she’s definitely a mixed bag.

Love that Melinda is the co-host, she adds a great voice to this show, and great thoughts. Love the throw back to “nuts of wonder”. Awesome drop in :)

4. Crista says:

Baylie is awesome and has a great personality, she could be a threat. The potential of this season is great so far.

• RTW says:

I agree. We’ve been saying a lot how we wish certain contestants could have waited a few years, matured a bit, have their heart broken and get some real life experience. Baylie I believe has gone through all of that so she’s the one I’m most interested in watching this season.

5. RLN says:

I don’t even watch Idol anymore but I still watch you, Slezak! Keep up the good work!

6. brandy says:

What’s with these episodes being so short?? WIl they get longer with the live shows or are you purposely leaving us wanting more? :)

7. baj24 says:

I’ve not even watched this season after the awful previous season, but Idology (and it’s predecessors Idoloonies and Idolatry from EW) are must watch for me. Slezak cracks me up and I <3 Melinda Dolittle. I'd forgotten about Jacob Lusk (I think I tried to block him out!). I may start watching during the live rounds. The audition rounds don't do much for me.

8. Hugh says:

Great show as usual. I’m finding the auditions particularly sluggish this year. There are a lot of marginal singers being put through and practically no stand outs or really remarkable auditions either. Even comparing this stage to last year we had already heard Haley, Stefano, Lauren, Scotty, Casey, Naima, Thia, Julie, Rachel Z etc.. who all gave really good to great auditions. Showing less “comedy” acts was a definite step in the right direction, so why are they holding back on the great singers?

And it’s not like so few auditioned. What about Deandre Brackensick/Hollie Cavanagh? Both great singers who narrowly missed the cut last year, reauditioned and have been successful. Why haven’t they been shown? The ratings for this audition season have taken a hit, no wonder because they’ve been some of the most uninspiring for years.

• Brigette says:

• Snsetblaze says:

This 2.

Also, I have to disagree with Melinda’s – what’s the big deal about forgetting the lyrics statement. I think it should be a big deal. It will push the contestants a little more. That said, Idol judges often warn the contestants about it – indicating that those that forget about the lyrics are out — and then entirely ignore the warning if it is someone they really like (Scotty McCreery is the #1 example of that.)

9. Sarah says:

When are we going to get some good artist? Season 11 looking like a fail…. Nuts of wonder..really really. HaHa. I love you guys.

10. megs says:

Interesting that there’s been no “chosen one” yet. No “we may have found the one” or “I can see this one taking it all” comments. Or maybe I’m just not paying close enough attention. I’m always curious to see what kind of storyline they go for from season to season. It’s almost sad how much of a scripted drama the show is as opposed to a reality competition show.

Whatever, as long as you keep showing clips of/mentioning Haley Reinhart, you will have my attention.

11. Ellen says:

I have never been a fan of these shows but they are part of the process so I watch…. love you with Melinda. Can’t wait to see what the season brings. Baylie did a great job. I’m glad they let them come back and audition again.

12. Ana says:

Whenever I watch Idology, I wish it was longer, I don’t wan’t it to end. I love it so much. It’s the best part of the show!

13. raftrap says:

You can edit all you want, but the disdain in Jennifer’s eyes with the Randy craziness would have probably required massive amounts of cutting edge CGI to be edited in, I choose optimism, I think it’s gonna be a good judging year for J.Lo, maybe an Out of Sight year judging-wise.

• Justin says:

I agree. Regardless of the editing, Jennifer’s reactions after the girl who sang “Fallen” were 100% authentic and very refreshing. At first, she held back by saying something like “There was something in your voice I couldn’t connect to.” But after the girl walked out of the room, Jennifer let us know how she really felt about the absurdity of the girl’s advancement: “That was awful. That was awful. I feel like I’m in the Twilight Zone. Did somebody slip me something?” I was thinking the same thing. Every aspect of that audition was terrible.

14. TrulyRoxie says:

I think that the judges are looking particularly odd this year, but I think that’s mostly editing. I also thing that the really good talent is being kept under wraps so that Hollywood week will seem more exciting. I personally wish Hollywood week was longer than 2 days and they’d shorten some of the audition time. It is always my favorite week.

15. cathy says:

Scotty might have forgot the words..but he sang “nuts of wonder” absolutely perfect!

16. Kiki says:

I love Idology. Michael, you are hilarious and usually right on target. Melinda, you are the best. Great team.

17. CAM says:

Love Idology with Melinda. The 2 of you are perfect together. Hope she’s on with you each week as her schedule allows…

18. Margie says:

Loved your use of the clip from The Guard! Your (not so random) clips are what make Idolatry Idology one of my favourite parts of my week!

19. misssandybee says:

That was an awesome episode of Idology. I have to give you points for the 702 reference.

20. Cassie says:

Do these kids EVER review old auditions. The judge team has gone over many many times the audition songs that make them gag on a regular basis.
    It blows me away that People continue to audition with these songs all the time. One would think that they would review tapes or if they are true idol fans remember which songs catch on the best and which are the ones to avoid at all cost.

21. sofia says:

I have been feeling quite underwhelmed with the auditions this year. I don’t know if it is because of grandness of the X factor auditions, or the talent doesn’t seem to be quite there this year. While I like Idol as a show much better than the xfactor, I prefer X factors auditions, there are more standout remember me performances.
    I love your show michael! I wish it was longer.

22. Brigette says:

Slezak & Melinda, I really appreciated that you guys said you can’t listen to the Lady GaGa version of “You and I,” because I can’t either! Haley sang it so much better. ANYWAY. If we want to be JLo optimists, we could always hope that maybe her focus is a little more work-related this season, seeing as she may not be as distracted by marital woes? I feel like we’ve seen a few good voices so far, but not many that are unique or interesting, or unique and interesting PERSONALITIES. I’m just anxious for Hollywood week when we can focus on some of these contestants better.

• ejones says:

I was having breakfast in a hotel whilst on holiday in New Zealand when the GaGa version of ‘You and I’ came on the muzak system, so disappointing because it lacked that punch that Haley gave it, especially in the chorus

23. Swansteel says:

I do love me some Idology. I’m still on the fence about watching the entire season this year, but I know I will be keeping up with Slezak’s recaps and amazing videos. I always get a kick out of them, and I usually agree with the opinions in them. Also, any time a Haley Reinhart mention is made is a good thing.

24. Justin says:

The only reason I still watch Idol is so I can come here and watch this and know what’s going on. Said it.

25. Meghan says:

Loved it! Again, thanks for posting on YouTube this season! Makes it much easier for me to watch on my iPad.

26. Jess says:

i haven’t started watching idol this season yet, but I’m lovin’ this!!!!!!!!!!! Michael and Melinda are the bomb!!!!!!!!!

27. JT says:

Loving watching Michael and Melinda again. I’ve watched bits and pieces of the shows this season, but I’m not really getting into Season 11 until Haley Reinhart sings her new single on the show. It’s part protest, part catharsis.

28. Amy says:

Already reviving Nuts of Wonder? I agree that I can only listen to Haley’s version of You and I. I am afraid JLo once she doesn’t have the edit will become unsufferable once again. I have been encouraged mostly by the auditions so far.

29. Phill says:

i love this show!.

30. Bonnie A says:

Loved belly laughing through this episode, especially the part about Randy holding up his hand! I am really tired of him as a judge.

So waiting for Haley Reinhart’s album to be released!

Only about two or three of the contestants that were put through to Hollywood Week make me want to hear then again. Baylie is one. Hoping there are others that we haven’t even heard yet.

31. Yursare says:

I love Melinda, I do. She’s a smart and funny co-host and dfinitely adds a voice to the show, BUT…

I kind of miss you bringing back a lot of less-talked-about former idol faces. Sarah Sellers was cute and interesting on idoloonies, and so was Katlyn Epperly and tons of others.

Just saying.

32. trev says:

Why are these only 10 minutes?!?! Dam.n you!

33. Jess says:

They are saving the good ones this year. Most of the top 24 have not been shown. There is great talent. Nigel is not pimping the good singers early. Wait to Hollywood week and the big guns will come out.

34. dnaz says:

Love the Idology, formerly known as Idoloonies, videos! My only criticism is that they’re too short. Michael and Melinda, you guys are hilarious. Love you both!

35. Shannon says:

Melinda and Michael make such good foils for each other. Funny, smart and almost always right. Booyah!

36. MarkStudy says:

You can’t listen to Lady GaGa’s version of “You and I”? Yep…I’m right with you… Haley killed it! and I have the same problem when “Rolling in the Deep” comes on the radio. Makes me want to hear Haley instead of Adele.

Looking forward to your review during Hollywood week. I’m enjoying Idology more than American Idol this season.

Keep the Haley clips coming, J-Lo and Randy think they’ve got a clean slate from their cruddy judging last year. Your little Haley clips remind them (or who-ever was feeding them the script)… that we don’t want to see another rigged show this season.

37. darcy's evil twin says:

I have to give Mr. Slezak ‘two snaps with a twist’ for having Melinda Doolittle on “Idology”. Very entertaining!