Good Wife Recap: One Tasty Ham Sandwich

The following recap, by the very definition of “recap,” contains spoilers from this week’s episode of The Good Wife.

“You’re excused.”

“We’re done.”

“Thank you for your service; my assistant will validate your parking.”

“Get out of my office.”

No matter how you put it — and Peter found four rather clear reiterations — Wendy Scott-Carr’s job here is over. On Sunday’s episode of CBS’ The Good Wife, titled “Another Ham Sandwich,” the special prosecutor went in for the kill as Will faced the grand jury. And despite a seemingly strong start, she ultimately was outmatched (or, perhaps, outgunned, seeing as her armament was full of blanks).

Wendy at first had Elsbeth Tascioni a bit unsettled, as she led Diane to confirm that, yes, she doesn’t play basketball, but also that in the McDermott case, she allowed Will to take over due to his “better relationship” with Judge Parks. David Lee evened the score a bit, though, when he testified — in keeping with the team’s “tie it to Peter” mantra — that he has done just as affordable contract work for the State’s Attorney as he did for Judge Parks.

Nonetheless, that exchange prompted Will to go see Parks in chambers, where Cary’s snoop snapped Gardner handing the judge an envelope. It all seemed to easy a photo op for Andrew, and we would later learn it was.

After Parks pleaded the Fifth throughout his own testimony, Will (fittingly) got to go in for the slam dunk. Electing not to plead the Fifth himself, he answered Wendy’s questions — to her case’s detriment. The envelope he handed off to Parks? A UNICEF donation, proving as suspected that the moment was staged. And the incriminating email that Wendy’s team had “procured,” between Will and Judge Parks? It had been tampered with and in fact was from Will to Diane — and Will very conveniently had the original on hand. (That unveiled bit of planted chicanery opened Kalinda up for a smack from gal pal Dana!) Wendy was left quite flustered.

In the end, Alicia was called in, and a desperate Wendy’s line of questioning was every bit as intrusive as feared. Wendy compelled Alicia to cop to a sexual relationship with Will, though she did say that it was over. But when Wendy went too far — and further against Cary’s wishes — by intimating that Alicia’s career trajectory was a result of her bedding her boss, Mrs. Florrick was having none of it. “You are out of control,” she hissed at the prosecutor as she ended the Q&A on her own terms.

And Alicia wasn’t the only one whose feathers were ruffled. Upon being given their marching orders by Wendy, the grand jury demonstrated clearly that they agreed she was out of control with the State’s Attorney’s wife. Cue: Party time at Lockhart Gardner!

Elsewhere in the episode, Eli traded barbs, come-ons and (ahem) more with rival spinmeister Stacie Hall. Eli scoffed at first at being handed David Lee’s niece (versus Alicia) as his No. 2, until that is she made him realize the far weightier/juicier stakes at hand with the gay advocacy group he was fighting Stacie to represent. Alas, one tryst later, Stacie had the last laugh, when Eli discovered that she was handling campaign work for his ex-wife.

Not to be overlooked amidst Will’s grand jury ordeal, Alicia — with a bit of slightly veiled prompting by Diane — met up with Peter to ask his office to back off.

“Of course that’s the issue!” Peter barked when Alicia suggested that the inquisition was partly vendetta-based.

“There’s nothing between us,” she countered.

“My god, you have changed — I used to be able to tell when you lied…. You’re manipulating the truth like an old pro.”

“Well, you would know about pros.”

Peter declined to stop the grand jury, saying that he’s done with doing things that “worked but were wrong.” Alicia countered by clarifying that the things he used to do were “wrong against your family.” On both sides, a really nice piece of acting by Julianna Margulies and Chris Noth — and territory that begged to be covered at last.

What did you think about this week’s great Good Wife? What were your favorite moments and quotes?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Daniella says:

I think this was one of the best episodes this season. I loved it and was very surprised at the direction it took after Felicia took the stand. Peter’s ending response was awesome! I love this show but this episode was exceptionally brilliant.

2. Lori says:

No question, one of the best episodes of the series, proving yet again that this is an intelligent, suspenseful drama combining creative storytelling with an amazing cast.

3. Moira says:

I don’t think especially great covers it. It was masterful.

4. Gaby says:

The episode was fantatsic but I wished that this been the end to the ”bring Will down” arc… It’s getting a bit old but I’m hopeful that the writers have something great planned.

5. Mick says:

I think you got the order wrong Matt. Judge Parks went in for questioning then Will. And because Will outfoxed her Wendy called in Alicia as the last witness.

6. Fran says:

The cover of “Here I Go Again” while Will danced with Elsbeth was really wonderful !

7. wombat says:

i really enjoyed the episode too, but i have to say, despite the fact that i completely adore the cast and guest stars? amy sedaris just doesn’t work for me. i know everyone thinks she’s the cat’s meow but i think she’s the only weak link on the show. ever! there i said it.

• Eurydice says:

I agree about Amy Sedaris. She’s OK in small doses, but her character is so one-note that it’s hard to imagine her as anything more than Eli’s cartoonish nemesis.

• Trenton says:

I disagree a bit…first off, yes she is one note…but sometimes you have to play the first note to get to the second ;p Having her sleep w/ him and having her work on his wife’s campaign is a great move. Plus, Eli is such a master at his job…and in terms of going up w/ him…I think they have her play herself a certain way. Its like a walking breathing poker face…she stays perky and what evs so as not to give anything away…. my guess is ex wife is gonna fire her at some point for sleeping w/ him.

• Christy says:

She is a good actress, but no sexual chemistry with Eli. “I desire you” Oh Please. I know its not Eli because he has had great sexual chemistry with his previous love interests on the show (his ex-wife and the student getting deported).

8. Eurydice says:

Thank you for posting this recap so quickly. Everybody was awesome. I love how Alicia gets a bit flustered, regroups, and then forges ahead with utter determination and conviction – take that, Wendy. Diane was super, as always. Will and Kalinda – you don’t want to mess with them. Poor Cary, every time somebody said “Peter Florrick” he kind of twitched – it’ll be interesting to see what happens next with him. And how awesome was that juror – “Who’s this Peter guy everybody’s talking about?”

If I had to nitpick, I’d say that, even though Eli is hugely entertaining, I still don’t get how he fits into the story. And also, like Gaby, I’m tired of the “get Will” scenario – although I wouldn’t mind seeing Wendy get squashed like a bug one more time.

9. Kikay says:

Great recap Matt! The episode was utterly fantastic….the confrontation between Peter and Alicia – such a powerful scene!!!! Can’t believe we have to wait three weeks for a new episode.

10. Amy says:

So good! Best episode of the season. So many great moments. Peter and Alicia. The slap. Any scene Elsbeth is in. Wendy questioning Alicia.

11. Saint Alicia says:

Overall a great ep, though the grand jury conclusion was a bit contrived; everyone is so distracted/confused that they just overlooked the fact that the was NO SOLID EVIDENCE against Will anyway? Wish the writers hadn’t taken the “simple-minded jurors” route to resolve the indictment.
    Oddly enough, my favorite part was when Dana slapped Kalinda–and I can’t stand Dana… What does it mean?? ;)
    Also, Will and Diane dancing at the end was so sweet (that makes twice!); it’d be a shame if they ever have a falling out/become enemies.
    But enough with Eli already, the d*ck-swinging contest with David Lee was funny, but all his extra curricular activities with Stacie seemed pointless. Wish the writers wouldn’t draw from the Eli well as much. Nonetheless, amazing show.

• Sally says:

I also felt that the grand jury questioning Wendy at the end like that was contrived. It’s like they dumbed down the jury on purpose through writing to have the verdict go Will’s way. Oh well, it was still a good episode.

• Eurydice says:

I don’t think the jury was simple-minded. They weren’t confused about the lack of evidence, it was clear from their comments that they thought Wendy’s case made no sense. What they were confused about was what Peter had to do with anything and why his wife was being grilled about her sex life – and those are perfectly logial questions. I’ve been on juries, including a grand jury, and the jurors are like that – not legal experts, but regular people who wonder about things like, “If you think the judge took bribes, why aren’t you going after him, too?”

What I do think was overly-contrived (because everything this show is contrived) is the general incompetence of the State’s Attorney’s office. They’re all so busy plotting revenge and/or lusting after Kalinda that they don’t have time to check out their evidence. There are lusts and plots at Lockhart Gardner, but at least they’re making some money at the same time.

12. Stepha says:

So many great characters played by masterful actors! This was one of the best episodes of a stellar series. Also, can we keep Elsbeth around forever?

• KimR says:

Totally agree. All the characters are so multi-level. Cary is a great example of that. I love the show. It has been excellent since the first 5 minutes of the first episode of the first season. :)

• Holly says:

For real. Amazing episode. I want to keep Elsbeth forever and ever and ever. She’s quickly becoming one of my favorite tertiary characters. Amy Sedaris can go though. She’s not really adding anything to the series. I love anything that gives Alan Cumming more airtime, but not this way, TGW, not this way!

• Rob says:

I want Elsbeth to join Lockheart Gardner!!! We need more of her!

• Eurydice says:

I think Alicia and Elsbeth should go into business together. They’d be an awesome duo – and then Alicia can sleep with Will all she wants. :-)

13. Michael says:

Great recap, was pleased to see an original episode when many others seem to showing reruns. (Or did ‘sweeps’ technically start tonight?)

Anyway, loved the jury having questions and the lawyer see her case going down the drain with each panelist inquiry.

14. Mark says:

I liked the episode a lot except I was confused about one thing: What is Wendy’s vendetta against Will? Why would she want to go to the bar to bring Will down? Why does she care that much?

• AT says:

I thought it was because she went to Will to have him help her bring down Peter, but he said no. So she decided to go after Will out of spite.

• Trenton says:

She does want Peter…and she needs will to get to him…but also, she hates to lose…as all lawyers do. Its like having a permanent L on your record.

• Hols says:

If you get Will indicted and he thinks he has a real possibility of going to jail, then he might change his mind and give Wendy the dirt on Peter.

• Anna says:

If Wendy can bring Will down she can then make a future run against Peter by claiming that she went the distance, while Peter backed off to save face.

15. WiWri says:

Kudos to Kalinda for being the one to make the first move… putting herself out there at the right time. Asking Alicia to come to the party made my desperate little heart skip with anticipation. These two besties are on the right track.

16. Trenton says:

Great show…epic ep. Looking forward I have some concerns at least on one front. Will and Alicia. He was in love w/ her and has been since he was in college. Either she doesn’t love him or does and won’t accept it or is afraid to. Alicia’s associate seems like where the show is going to head to find out just what Alicia thinks. I just think that wouldn’t work. Will needs a complex character to test Alicia’s mettle otherwise it would be just like last year w/ the Sports Reporter girl. Kalinda would be the obvious choice (they kinda have great chemistry) except Kalinda wouldn’t do that to Alicia.

I have no idea what is the deal between Kalinda and Dana…except Cary. But there was more to the betrayal. I also kept thinking that there was going to be something to the corruption stuff but it was Diane who did something wrong. And know I really want to know where it was that Will was vulnerable! B/c it seems like the 45k back in Baltimore isn’t really it, b/c they already asked Diane about it….

• Kelly says:

I assumed that Will’s vulnerability was Alicia.

• Lici says:

Yeah, Will’s real vulnerability is Alicia. I do believe there’s still a lot of love there- once again, it’s just “bad timing.” If you need proof, I look at the early scene in the courthouse where they awkwardly apologize to each other and, in a really nice callback to Season 1, tells him, “So use me.”

• Christy says:

Really? Will knew that Wendy would go after Alicia, and yet he let it happen. That does not show “love” to me. Just because the Grand Jury transcript won’t be released publically doesn’t mean that the wrong people won’t find out about it. It is Chicago, after all.

17. lipsticksocialism says:

how fantastic was Alicia leaving the grand jury questioning?!!! Best moment ever! I loved how Cary showed her that he wasn’t okay with it. I didn’t care for Cary in the beginning, but I’m liking him more and more.

• Rock Golf says:

I agree. Cary is one of the most intriguing characters on TV. It would have been so easy to do the typical “I’ll screw the firm that fired me” trope, but this is way more interesting. And another reason I love The Good Wife.

18. Tee says:

Great episode! So many good moments.

I hope the end of the grand jury doesn’t mean the end of Elsbeth. Can’t Good Wife just keep her when the actress isn’t filming True Blood?

19. Nicole says:

My question is about the forged conflict of interest waiver – does Dana still have that? Did she destroy it in exchange for the McDermott file? I love that Kalinda effed her over with the evidence for the grand jury and all, but now is she super pissed AND holding a bomb that could take down Alicia?

20. Ella says:

GREAT episode. I absolutely loved that Peter/Alicia scene – so much emotion, so much chemistry. I know they have a lot to work through but it was the first time this season that I saw that perhaps there are still feelings there, on both ends. Alicia was angry but now so is her husband. I hope they work it through eventually because I feel like Will and Alicia have about as much chemistry as a rock. Also loved how Kalinda played Dana, who gets more and more on my nerves each week. Cary was lovely :)

• Ro says:

God how can you say you hope Peter and Alicia can work things out? He betrayed her in so many ways! he’s not worthy and she’s been through a lot with him already. He may be a good father and still a good person, but not a good husband for Alicia after all he did.
      And what he did, start this “witch hunt” just for jealousy was so sad and show how much he hasn’t changed. How can he look for revenge for that after all he did? he has no rights to do so.

Te episode was great, the best of this season i think. Kalinda was great, but i was so suprised (in a good way) by Cary! I love Matt Czuchry.

• cathiecat says:

Remember that Cary gave a sworn deposition that he had no reason to think the document was forged. That puts State’s Attorney in a difficult spot — and are they really going to go after Alicia after the grand jury fiasco? Don’t think so.

• Eurydice says:

I don’t know. If Peter had any chances he might have screwed them up with setting his pit bull Wendy against Alicia and having her accuse Alicia in courst of sleeping with Will in exchange for making partner track. Maybe Wendy went too far for Peter, but Alicia doesn’t know that. All she knows is that Peter’s representatives called her a prostitute in the middle of a grand jury.

21. LB says:

I love Eli on this show, but I can’t see him in bedroom scenes like last nights without picturing that creeper character he played in the movie Circle of Friends.

22. Karen says:

Some more Carrie Preston, please…. That girl is too awesome for words. Wouldn’t mind some more Matt Czuchry on my tv-screen either :)

23. eviltwit says:

Great recap. But, two things…

1. Alicia doesn’t hiss. She growls.
    2. Feathers ruffled? Alicia is no bird. She is a tigress.

Loved this episode:)

24. Anna says:

Wendy: Dis-Missed!

I’m waiting for Peter to find out that Wiley was the one who told Alicia about his relationship with Kalinda.

25. nikki says:

I dislike Will and I hope he loses his firm. Josh Charles is the weak link in the cast. He can’t hold a candle to the ladies of the show.

26. Emily says:

I’ve been searching for the same thing from the moment I heard it. LOVE that version!!

27. Gentile says:

Audra rea

28. Gentile says:

Audra Mae

29. Carol Williams says:

Nikki-your showing thatyou are a Peter lover. Whether you like him or not Will is so important to this show it would die without him. Really my dear-a weak link- are we watching the same show. Carol.