UPDATED: NBC Picks Up 10 Pilots, Including Jason Ritter Drama and Roseanne Barr Sitcom

Get More: News, Pilots

That NBC drama being developed by Parenthood boss Jason Katims for Jason Ritter finally has a title and a premise — and a green light!

The Peacock network has ordered a pilot for County, an hour-long drama starring former Event leading man (and current Parenthood guest star) Ritter about a group of doctors, nurses and administrators who work in a struggling hospital in Los Angeles.

NBC has also given the go-ahead for Chicago Fire, a firefighter drama from Law & Order boss Dick Wolf, and Downwardly Mobile, a sitcom starring Roseanne Barr as the proprietor of a mobile home park and surrogate mother to all of the unique people who live there in a challenging economy.

Other NBC pilots receiving orders Monday:

* Go On, a single-camera comedy from former Friends writer Scott Silveri about an irreverent yet charming sportscaster trying to move on from loss.

* Animal Kingdom, a single-camera office comedy centered on a House-like veterinarian, who loves animals but usually hates their owners.

* Friday Night Dinner, a single-camera comedy (based on UK series) about a quirky family that has dinner together every Friday night from Office EP Greg Daniels .

* Untitled Jimmy Fallon, a multi-cam comedy produced by Fallon that centers on three thirtysomething guys who enjoy the adventures of parenting despite the fact they haven’t grown up themselves.

* Next Caller Please, a single-camera gender comedy focusing on a brash alpha male DJ and his new, plucky, feminist co-host set in the offices of a satellite radio station.

* Untitled Hilary Winston, from Community scribe Winston comes a comedy about a a shy, focused woman who leans on her co-workers to help her come out of her shell and plot her revenge on the fiance who dumped her.

* Daddy’s Girls, a comedy about a young woman who returns home from overseas to find her father is seriously dating the “mean girl” from her high school.

Comments (94)

• Good for him, really enjoy him in parenthood. What does that mean for him, and Sarah?

Comment by jacob – January 23, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my thoughts exactly.
      I was actually hoping for them to get together for good, have their own family and so on..

Comment by a. – January 24, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooooooo!!! Does this mean Sarah and mark don’t have a future on ‘parenthood’?!!

Comment by jen – January 23, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously. I was hoping that he was working towards Regular status for next season.

Comment by Emily – January 23, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too. I am really kind of upset about this! So does picked up mean that it is for sure going to be on next fall or does picked up means it gets a pilot and the pilot could suck and he could stay on Parenthood. I have to say Sarah’s is my favorite branch of the family on Parenthood and Jason Ritter is a part of that. I wish they had locked him in to a contract for at least part of the season. I hate hoping for his shows to fail but I think he and Lauren Graham play really great together.

Comment by Ari – January 23, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “The Peacock network has ordered a pilot” = it still has to jump thru all the hoops as any other pilot before NBC decides what will be on in the fall.

Comment by lauren – January 23, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thought exactly!

Comment by LC – January 23, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really like Jason Ritter and like his character on Parenthood. Just hated the fact they teamed him with flakey nut-job Sarah. Hopefully the writers will turn her into a better parent, instead of keeping her a man-chaser.

I just hope “County” won’t be “ER West Coast.”

Comment by gcem – January 24, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s the 1st thing I thought of. I love Sarah/Mark. Now I’m all sad.

Comment by Jason Rey – January 24, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this doesn’t turn out to be a pattern. They’ve already broken up Sarah and Mr. Cyr once for a Jason Ritter led show.

Comment by bamalam – January 23, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • does this mean the event isnt coming back??? nooo!

Comment by jay – January 23, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope this is a joke…

Comment by Matt – January 23, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i hope county is a joke to. bring back the event!!

Comment by jay – January 23, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another medical drama…?! Don’t they think we’ve had enough of them, try to be original. Try doing something new!

Comment by gerald – January 23, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea cause the 8 out of 10 pilots are comedies is soooo much better…

Comment by Joe – January 23, 2012 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe it’s a good medical drama that lasts for more than one season. That would be original.

Comment by Norma – January 23, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, House all say “hello”.

Comment by Abe Froman – January 24, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Those have all been around for years. In the last few years the networks have tried medical dramas and they get cancelled quickly.

Comment by Norma – January 24, 2012 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such sad news. :( Sarah and Mark are done. I don’t know, from a plot-standpoint how they’re going to end, because they’re doing so well…

Comment by Alex – January 23, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHYYYY do they keep doing this to the Parenthood fans!!!!

Comment by KELLY – January 23, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally agree – love Jason Ritter and love the story line of him and Sarah. Since it’s also a Jason Katims show, hoping that they can keep the story line going…..one of the nice things about multiple storylines and assemble casts….they aren’t carrying the show and it Would be tooooo heartbreaking to see them break up again.

Comment by Kristina – January 23, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Sarah and Mark, but my love for Jason Ritter is even stronger! Sooo in the end I am all for him getting his own show, I gotta say. Especially one written by Jason Katims!

Comment by Katie – January 23, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Ritter does a better job of acting in this than he did in The Event. He sucked in that far worse than the show did as a whole.

Comment by Larc – January 23, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s pretty hard to act convincingly with such bad writing, ridiculous situations, and wooden dialog. ritter’s been great in other roles with far superior writing and direction.

Comment by tarc – January 23, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He was also fantastic in Joan of Arcadia.

Comment by Allison – January 23, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your kidding, right? He was the only bright spot in The Event. Jason was the only actor who wasn’t either stiff as a board or way over the top. Talented even in a POS like that.

Comment by Lexi – January 23, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I liked everything about the event, except that guy. He is a terrible actor. Definately didn’t learn much from his dad.

Comment by Nick – January 24, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But what about Saving Hope. Any updates yet on whether or not NBC is still picking that up?

Comment by Dominique – January 23, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope so, Raising Hope is a great show.

Comment by Nadine – January 23, 2012 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Raising Hope is not on NBC. It’s on Fox.

Comment by Katie – January 26, 2012 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it makes it on air. I love everything Katims produces and Jason Ritter is so good.

Comment by Maria – January 23, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Can’t wait for him to get his own show again, still miss the event :(
    As for parenthood, i’ll miss him on that two

Comment by Ken – January 23, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC seems to reallllllly love this guy. But that’s ok, because I love him too. Hopefully he’ll still be able to guest star on Parenthood now and then if this show gets picked up to series.

Comment by Alex – January 23, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like an LA version of early ER and a Chicago-based Third Watch. New slogan for NBC – We’re Still Living in 2000.

Comment by Tim – January 23, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this means he’ll still be on Parenthood! Same network and same head-dude, they must be able to work something out right?!?!

Comment by pv – January 23, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House and Grey’s are pretty much done and there’s no other medical shows on television is there? I’m ready for a new one but I want a good one and not another whiny Meredith Grey or very angry Dr. House. I enjoyed Friday Night Lights and am enjoying Parenthood so I am hopeful Mr. Katims can produce a decent medical drama.

Comment by Denise – January 23, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both on NBC people and both Katims shows and so at least they can keep it going for a while.

Comment by DannyboyH – January 23, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully this means he’ll be leaving Parenthood soon. I am probably the only one who doesn’t like him with Sarah. She needs to be with someone her own age, someone who challenges her, someome just a strong as her, and not thinking of having a baby after 40 with some 20-something. I do like Jason, so this is more a storyline issue than an actor issue.

Comment by GeoDiva – January 23, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREED! Thank god someone!! They don’t have chemistry at all, please. bring back seth.

Comment by Amadeu – January 24, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll check it out because I like Jason Ritter and Jason Katims.

I did enjoy the medical drama NBC canceled two years ago…Mercy.

Comment by Eliza – January 23, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I forgot about Mercy! I liked Mercy too! they ended that show on a cliffhanger too! I hate that!

Comment by Dash – January 24, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, so why did they cancel ER? Fail.

Comment by Weed – January 23, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another medical drama? Really? I like Jason Ritter a lot and I’d prefer it if they just made him a regular on “Parenthood”. I like his current storyline with Lauren Graham. I didn’t expect Sarah and Mark to last after her ex showed up and now they’re thinking of having a baby together. It’s pretty unusual for a guy that young to want to have a baby with his older girlfriend.

Comment by Carrie Ann – January 23, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So they are re-making ‘ER’ then?

Comment by Brittany – January 23, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Between FNL and Parenthood, Jason Katims can’t do any wrong in my eyes. I love Jason Ritter too. I hope it gets picked up even if it means Mr. Cyr and Sarah having to break up. There’s always a chance he could come back for some guest appearances down the line with the same network and same creator.

Comment by Lauren – January 23, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey NBC, there’s still time to scrap all these terrible ideas for pilots and start from scratch.

Comment by Alex – January 23, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Friday Night Dinner especially. I love BBC as much as the next person but we really shouldn’t be remaking bad BBC shows. The British Friday Night Dinner just makes me want to rewatch Green Wing instead.

Comment by Katie – January 26, 2012 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s with the unnecessary amount of comedy pick-ups for NBC? Where the heck are all the drama series orders or is the network just giving up on hour-longs entirely next season?

Comment by K – January 23, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man the premise for Daddy’s Girl sounds absolutely terrible.

Comment by Marc – January 23, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I normally wouldn’t watch a medical drama, but because of Jason Katims, I’m giving this one a chance! Love him.

Comment by Lauren – January 23, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason should be the lead on his own show. He will be missed on Parenthood but he’s like Matt Bomer was on Chuck. Too good for a bit part.

Comment by Larry – January 23, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jimmy fallon bt that show he’s trying to do seems to be done already and I really hope parks and recreation gets another season love that show!

Comment by DOT – January 23, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Next Caller Please screams 1990s (maybe even 80s?). Aren’t we done with the whole feminist/alpha male thing yet?

Comment by Mark – January 23, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Guessing not, since Katherine Heigl keeps doing crappy movies along those lines.

Comment by Tee – January 24, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is why cable is dominating the networks. Another medical drama?? Really? NBC in particular don’t have a clue what good show ideas look like.

Comment by Michael – January 23, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How long does NBC have the guts to get out of the “ratings’ basement” in order to pick up “stronger” pilots for its upcoming Fall and mid – season lineups come May? Bob Greenblatt better pray for his network.

Comment by kevin – January 23, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so torn!! I LOVE, let me repeat, LOVE Mark & Sarah together on Parenthood. But I’d love for Jason Ritter to lead in a show run by the amazing Jason Katims. I can’t imagine better hands for him to be in. Maybe he can do both since Mr. Katims runs both shows…

Comment by Saracen Riggins – January 23, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like NBC will be expanding there comedy offerings next season. Don’t blame them. There recent dramas have been Dead On Arrival.

Comment by John – January 23, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this bad news for Community? Seem if NBC is picking up so many pilots they aren’t not renewing many current shows.

Comment by ttownfeen – January 23, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly what i was thinking. They must really think the problem is the show and not the network.

Comment by Jay – January 23, 2012 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree with you more! I was like “So they’re picking up all these silly-sounding shows, but have yet to say anything about where or when Community will be on?” SO frustrating!

Comment by Merissa W. – January 23, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thats exactly what I thought! NBC is in trouble though. They had to cancel a lot of new shows this season due to terrible ratings. I just hope the bring Community back for at least their senior year.

Comment by Amy – January 23, 2012 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I’m worried about. I’m going to be really mad if these new shows mean “Community” gets shut out.

Comment by Angela – January 24, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ordering a pilot is not the same as picking up. So Community is not in danger just yet.

Comment by lacey – January 25, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Community is due back in Feb, I believe back on Thursdays. However with Chevy Chase quitting the show should be interesting how they play out his character.

Comment by sasseygirl – January 23, 2013 03:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking forward to Roseanne’s show. Should be hilarious.

Comment by lipsticksocialism – January 23, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The idiotic Roseanne sitcom will undoubtedly air after “The Office,” squandering that timeslot yet again. (“Up All Night” being the belated exception this year.)

Comment by J – January 23, 2012 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No wonder Network TV gets lousy ratings. With the exception of the Rosanne Trailer Park show these all sound like unoriginal retreads of TV Series that have failed consistently in the past. Thank God they are remaking the Munsters- kidding!

Comment by Phil – January 23, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only the doctor and firefighter show sound interesting to me

Comment by John – January 23, 2012 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I’m looking forward to the new show about firefighters from Wolf Films. I hope it does well.

Comment by Annie – January 24, 2012 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of these ideas seem original. Putting shows like Community on hiatus and airing shows like Are you there, Chelsea? No wonder its struggling

Comment by Maggie – January 23, 2012 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally am happy to see Animal Kingdom there. I don’t think there has ever been a vet or animal show ever. Finally something different then everything out there. That looks so true and pretty good. Id have to see that one. Maybe try county cause I like medical stuff.

Comment by l – January 23, 2012 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank god NBC learned their lesson and only ordered one multi-cam project. Actually, NBC looks like they’ve learned their lesson by ordering their best niche (single-cam comedies) and scaling back on their weaker scripted subjects (everything else). Hope for NBC in 2012-2013? Yay!?

Comment by Casey – January 23, 2012 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I understand that is their niche but I am sick of single-cam shows. I miss the multi-cam tv shows, good thing NBC’s sister station USA provides that for me.

Comment by Tia – January 24, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO NO NO, what about Parenthood…he has to stay there!!

Comment by g – January 23, 2012 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Geez. NBC doesn’t have a single show so far that even sounds interesting. The Roseanne sitcom, while original, doesn’t sound like it would be funny. I give it 10 points for at least being original. A medical drama about animals with a grumpy vet? Yeah.. okay.

Once again, it’s no mystery as to why NBC remains in last place in the ratings and in terms of quality shows that can grow and build an audience. Not when you order crap shows like these to pilot.

Comment by Hmm – January 24, 2012 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friday night dinners isnt very funny, or interesting, despite the wonderful Tamsin Greig and Simon Bird, seems like a total waste of time remaking it.

Comment by jay – January 24, 2012 01:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s soooooo British; is it really going to translate well? Or is this going to be another ‘Coupling’.

Comment by Sheila – January 24, 2012 01:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m annoyed at all the people going “another medical drama?”

Since when has a show’s premise ever been all it’s about? A drama shows depends solely on what the characters are like and what they go through. The setting matters very little. This will not be a procedural, so it won’t be comparable to House. As this is a Jason Katims show, I’m also confident it will be a great deal more down to earth and emotional than Grey’s Anatomy is. Grey’s tends to overdramatise things. A Jason Katims show tends to not do that… Similar setting, way different effect.

It’s also not medical shows that are out there in greater numbers than there is interest. If that’s what you think, you’re confusing it with cop shows, which have a higher tendency to be purely procedural.

Comment by Mitholas – January 24, 2012 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friday night dinner was what the Gilmore girls did every week at Lorelei’s parents’ house. Just sayin’….

Comment by Marie – January 24, 2012 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This “satellite radio sitcom” is obviously a takeoff on Howard Stern and Robin Quivers- why not simply hire the real persons? But then, NBC has him already for “America’s Got Talent”!

Comment by Charles – January 24, 2012 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jason Ritter and I would have thought he learned his lesson from the Event and should stay on Parenthood as Mark Cyr!!! He is at his best there and I will be super upset at him leaving again and then back in the spring once the new show is cancelled

Comment by sarah – January 24, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post