Ratings: Chuck Hits Season Highs, Grimm Surges, Fringe Stays Flat

Chuck is ramping up to go out with a (all things being relative!) bang, gaining 22 percent in its penultimate week to spy two season highs: 3.85 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating.

Lead-out Grimm, in turn, registered bumps of 28 percent, drawing 5.9 million viewers and a 1.8 — its best numbers since Nov. 4. and a tie (with 20/20) for Friday’s best demo rating.

Friday’s other piece of fresh genre-TV fare, Fringe, had to settle for holding steady with a 1.1 rating whole inching up 11 percent in total audience (to 3.2 million viewers).

Elsewhere on the night:

* CBS’ line-up of drama repeats won every hour in total viewers, while ABC came away with the overall demo win.

* ABC’s Shark Tank dove into its third season with a time slot-winning 1.7 rating and a second place-worthy 6.2 million viewers, which is a series high.

* At 9 ‘clock, the season premiere of ABC’s What Would You Do? trailed only Grimm in the demo (with a 1.6) while placing third in total viewers (5.8 mil).

1. Jessica says:

While I’m relieved Fringe isn’t dropping sub 1.0 in the demo, I’m still so saddened every Saturday morning when the ratings come in.
    So many people are missing out on the best storytelling on television, mostly due to a poor timeslot. Last night’s episode, Enemy of My Evemy, was a masterpiece. Orla Brady and John Noble — that scene of Walter & Elizabeth in the lab — deserve every award in the industry for what they bring to the screen.

• Jessica says:

*Enemy of My Enemy — what I meant to type instead of Enemy of My Evemy

• Kristina says:

To be fair, Fringe’s ratings had fallen pretty low even before the move to Fridays. These types of shows typically don’t have massive #s of viewers…unfortunate, since they are often very good.

• Jessica says:

Yes, this is true — that’s why I said “mostly due to a poor timeslot”. It did fantastic on Tuesdays, due to its lead-in and storytelling method in season 1. Ratings started to sink in season 2 when moved to Thursdays, also probably due to it becoming more “mythology” based. Then Fridays were pretty much the death-blow when combined with the heavy mythology.
        Granted, I prefer mythology episodes — the more episodes based on that and the heavier the mythology, the better.

• Paul says:

I wish they’d move Fringe to another night, give it a chance to build it’s audience again.

Fox has just launched Alcatraz, why not team them up on the same night?

• AJ says:

Know that I’ve seen every episode of Fringe and do enjoy it, but they can move it anywhere in the schedule and it won’t get good ratings. Will it tick upwards if it were on a higher HUT night? Yes, but it would still be very low. This is a niche show that should’ve always been on cable.

• CJ says:

It isn’t just whether its “mythology based” or “mystery of the week,” paranoid, supernatural (or semi-supernatural) dark spooky dramas just don’t appeal in any way to about 3/4 of the viewing public, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Lots of people don’t like soap operas, animated shows, or cheesy comedies, either. This is life, not Art Appreciation Class. As for me, I don’t care how good it is; as I often tell people trying to get me to watch something because it’s “so good”: just because something’s considered good doesn’t me I want to watch it, and just because something’s considered bad doesn’t mean I DON’T want to watch it.

• dee123 says:

Exactly. The X Files was the exception to the rule.

• Eli says:

I wish that someone would call the producers and tell them to give us a decent series finale for this season (with no epic cliffhangers please!)

To think they’re coming back is borderline delusional. I’m a huge fan of the show but the writing is on the wall. They keep saying in interviews that they’ve planned this season out and should they go off the air the story may continue in some other form. Well don’t count on that! They shouldn’t be stubborn and should tie up whatever loose ends remain. Should the show be renewed or should it find life after this season’s finale they should be creative enough to continue the story after a VERY satisfying closure.

• Tarc says:

Fringe is excpetional television. It’s too bad that Americans are too stupid (yes, stupid is the right word) to follow along with something that straighforward.

• Alienate says:

Fringe WAS exceptional TV. After the last few confusing weeks, my wife and I both decided to remove Fringe from our viewing schedule.

I could care less how it ends.

Someone took a great show and “Lost” it this season.

• Matt says:

How was it confusing? My wife and I watch this show faithfully and it hasn’t been confusing at all. What were you fuzzy about?

2. Jessica says:

Supernatural ratings??

3. ggny says:

i see grimm getting another season on friday nights

• Alex says:

Considering that Grimm won the demo in its hour, and NBC’s rate of failure with new shows this season, I’d say that Grimm getting renewed is highly likely.

• Becky says:

How unfortunate. I’m hoping all of NBC’s new shows this season get the ax. As far as I’m concerned, NBC’s executives can take a flying leap off a tall bridge for canceling Chuck.

4. cinthy says:

Fringe’s episode was awesome, people should start watching the best show on tv

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Agreed – FRINGE was so very, very, very good last night. I didn’t ant the episode to end. (Haven’t gotten around to CHUCK yet, sons commandeered the TV this morning.)

5. kevin says:

Huge fan of CHUCK since the beginning. Can’t wait for next week’s two-hour series finale. “Chuck me”. :)

6. Sg.Grant says:

I know the Fox talking heads have said Fringe still isn’t making the network money, but I’m pretty sure a lot of the fans would be willing to fork over a couple bucks to keep one of the best shows on TV.

7. Eliza says:

Going to miss Chuck :(

And I’m enjoying Grimm. I wasn’t so sure about it when I first started watching… but now I like it.

8. Kay says:

The Fringe episode was one of the greats last night. I hope we soon see an increase in viewership as word gets around. Season 4 has started firing on all cylinders now. Just stunning episode!

I am really enjoying Grimm; what a quirky show. It shared the highest rated spot with aBC’s 20/20 last night. I hope it will get renewed and moved to another night next season.

9. Talia says:

I really want another season of Fringe but seeing these ratings every week make me think it wont happen… especially with FOX. It just sad to see a great show like Fringe with such low numbers and crap talent shows and reality series getting more viewers. Let’s face it Fringe is too smart of a show for the majority of Americans with short attention spans.

10. Suhara says:

Dear Everyone who isn’t watching Fringe,
    You are missing out on some of the best storytelling, brilliant acting and quality TV you’ve ever experienced. Please tune in on Fridays 9/8c on Fox and give this show a chance. You don’t have to be a massive sci/fi fan to watch it, I wasn’t at all when I started (my other fav. show is Bones) but Fringe sucks you in. Additionally the show isn’t only sci/fi, it revolves around a somewhat tragic love story between the two main characters and has more humor than many other shows right now! Plese, please give it a chance. I promise you will not regret it.
    – Suhara

11. champmav says:

Fringe is SO GOOD, like, Battlestar Gallactica good. Of course that means it will be cancelled. This is the network that cancelled Firefly after 1)not starting the series with the pilot; 2)not broadcasting it every week; 3)playing weird ‘scheduling roulette’ games (maybe even ending up on a Friday night, can’t recall). TV watching is a frustrating game, we should always expect the worst from an industry that only really values it’s audiences dollars; there is no ‘artistic sensibility’ running networks!

12. Dot says:

I love grim I really recommend people watch its addictive!

13. Lindsey says:

I’m still not ready for Chuck to end. I’m going to miss my favorite show!

14. s. says:

I really enjoyed Grimms episode last night! I think it’s the best so far, it’s getting interesting. I agree NBC will renew it! Especially with the numbers it’s receiving :)

15. Taj says:

I love Grimm, but the episode last night was subpar IMO. The B and C plots, with Juliet and Monroe, were good, but the case of the week was super boring. There was way too much time spent on that mouse dude and his girlfriend.

16. Nina says:

Grimm’s rating rise just further proves that having 3 genre shows at 9pm is hurting them all! It really spilts the audience viewership.
    I really wish NBC would try to cultivate Grimm at either 8pm or another night.

And of course, Grimm is a rerun next week so it will lose it’s sudden ratings momentum. Ugh! Every time I get my hopes up for a season 2 of Grimm, NBC manages to dash them.

17. Loni says:

Going to miss Chuck! Glad it’s going out a little better than it has been.

18. JHarnes says:

I love Chuck. It’s been great having Grim right behind Chuck. I hope Grim gets the 8 p.m. time slot with Chuck leaving. A stupid NBC failure moved in at 8 p.m. may kill Grim’s ratings.

19. David Holley says:

Well i have to say I don’t think I will never work out the viewing of the so called fans of Fringe
    I just can’t believe that Fringe has gathered just a 1.1 rating, especially in light of the episode that was on last night, and that was on top of a 1.1 rating for last weeks episode.
    Both in my view were BRILLIANT in not only storytelling and acting, but we also got a few reveals along the way.
    Also these two episodes alone showed where Fringe was heading for the rest of the season, and to my way of thinking why the previous 7 episodes had to play out like they did.
    To some, it may have been slow of pace, but if any one of those episodes were paced faster, then the timing of all the rest of the episodes would have been out of order.
    People just have no patience, The previous episodes were laying the groundwork for what was to come.
    Just like building a house really, you have to lay the foundations, before building the house then you move into the house.
    Just like that house Fringes episodes have been put together step by step to where we are now and will ultimately result in the most satisfying of conclusions for all of us.

20. David Holley says:

Just to leave on a positive note though, I did notice that while the ratings were steady at 1.1 the total number of people watching had risen from 2.9 million viewers for the previous episode to 3.2 million viewers for this week’s episode.
    Only a small rise, but least the viewership is heading in the right direction.
    Hopefully now the show runners of Fringe have shown their hand with this episode, following episodes will only improve on these figures, and hopefully convince Fox to give the show 1 more season to wrap up the story.
    Well here’s hoping

21. Bernadine says:

I love Fringe so much! yes we all know is isnt getting the best audince ever, but its life changing stuff! it might do better maybe on Syfy, anything to keep the show in the air!!!
    And the final of Chuck :( how i wish it wouldnt end. ive been a huge fan since the very start, and now its going out big. live long Chucksters.

22. Devin says:

Grimm isn’t a rerun next week, it’s not coming on at all because of Chuck’s 2-hour series finale.

23. Billie says:

Aw, Chuck. I can’t believe it will be over after next week. I am not ready for it to be off the air. It hurts my heart that I have to say goodbye. Chuck me.

24. elif ongan says:

i cannot think of any reasom why chuck’s ratings are so low! I mean i’m pretty sure that it’s one of the best shows ever! So sad that it’s about the end :( chuck deserved more tham 3 million viewers :( there should have been more seasons, 5 is not enough!

• Velvet says:

25. Chris11 says:

We know how the story goes on in these kind of tv shows. Very good ratings in seaosn 1 and then their ratings are being decreased. There are so many examples. At least we have to hope for a 13 episode deal for its final season.

26. Gabriel says:

The ratings aren’t necessarily true.

For example, I don’t know what a Nielsen box is, nor does anyone that I know. The more accurate “Nielsen box” is actually social media. FRINGE had twice as many people watching on the social media as the 2nd-place shows, two weeks in a row now. There’s a slowly but steadily growing interest in the show as the fans are starting to reach out to their friends and show them how diverse and enticing a show it is.

27. Velvet says:

I like Grimm but it only gained because Supernatural was a repeat. Note to Network: You can’t put Grimm up against Supernatural and Fringe and expect huge numbers. It needs to be moved to a different day or time slot, period.

28. Velvet says:

I like Chuck and I think this is the best season so far. However, you can blame the lame writers for killing Chuck. They made Chuck a bumbling idiot for far too long; to the point of just being stupid and annoying. There was so much potential there and the writers screwed the pooch..

29. NL says:

I am loving Grimm!!! So happy that this show is getting better every week. I was disappointed with NBC lately with the canceling of Prime Suspect for the uninteresting The Firm. Seriously? The Firm? based on a book that half of us hardly remember, Prime Suspect was really starting to get interesting and was a refreshing break from “old faithful” Law and Order SVU (yawn).

30. David Holley says:

Velvet, your absolutely 100% right about the Networks pitting one Sci- Fie show up against other, bit like to two people sharing a broadband internet connection, the signal will be divided between the two and as such will be slightly slower for both people.
    The same goes for TV Shows. The patronage will be divided between the 3 shows and so the audience will be split 3 ways, you will never get a true measure of a shows popularity.
    Nice to see Fringe rising in the ratings even if it only a slight rise. Better to rise than fall.
    and hopefully, if the last three episodes are anything to go by, Fringe continues to improve (even if Grimm and Supernatural come back from their Hiatuses) then we Fringe Fans just might see a Fifth and Final season
    Am I Dreaming, well probably I am but you know “Hope springs eternal”