Fringe: Scoop on Olivia's Doomed Fate, Peter's Exit Plan, David Robert Jones' Endgame and More

Last week’s episode of Fox’s Fringe — as an ersatz fall finale is wont to do — left viewers with many questions. For one, what’s up with the Observer’s very dire premonition about Olivia? What is big bad David Robert Jones’ endgame? And is Peter’s plan still to get out of Dodge? Though everyone was traditionally cryptic, here is what TVLine was able to glean from series bosses J.H. Wyman and Jeff Pinkner and star lead Joshua Jackson.

J.H. WYMAN | Not to use the word “recontextualize” as we often do [Laughs], but it will make you look at things that you’ve seen in a little bit of a different way.
JEFF PINKNER | We have been already laying tracks this season for stuff that will become more and more clear as the season goes on.

TVLINE Does Olivia’s doomed fate have to do with her recent migraines?
PINKNER | It may… perhaps. You knew we were go to say perhaps.

Fringe Bosses Preview This Season’s Huge Finale

TVLINE Will Olivia share this grim forecast with her team?
JOSHUA JACKSON | It… becomes evident. It comes up.

TVLINE Is this, like, just a way to balance things out and give Anna Torv her own job security “scare,” after telling Joshua Jackson last spring that Peter was going to cease to exist?
PINKNER | Oh, all of our actors are pretty comfortable with their job security. We love all of our children equally.

TVLINE Speaking of Olivia: When will we pick up the Nina Sharpe thread? When last seen, she had some goons inject her “daughter figure” with a drug….
PINKNER | Very soon. We try very hard to plan things and then attend to them, and not just ignore them for weeks and weeks and weeks.

Fringe Bosses Say this Season’s Finale Can Work As Series Finale, But Hint at New Home for Saga

TVLINE What is David Robert Jones’ “uberplan”? When will it become evident?
WYMAN | Soon enough. We’re well into it now.
PINKNER | For the people who have been watching closely, there are already some hints as to what his plans are.

TVLINE As the David Robert Jones threat becomes evident, will Peter put a pin in his endeavor to get “home”?
JACKSON | Not as such. He definitely is involved in helping to fight the good fight, but one is really not on hold in service of the other. They’re sort of happening on parallel tracks. And I think that Peter is of the opinion that if he could remove himself from this timeline, all of these things that have been unleashed by his being here would be undone. Yeah, he’s got a bit of a martyr complex this year. [Laughs]

What are your current theories, Fringe fans? Why “must” Olivia die? Is Nina perhaps a shifty shapeshifter, or could she actually be trying to help Olivia? Pontificate in comments!

1. Joel says:

Why do they even bother doing interviews? Pointless waste of time when they don’t actually answer anything put to them.

• Sarah says:

Do you really want the answer to everything before you’ve seen it? A tease that the answer will come is good enough for me. Then I can be more shocked when I had no idea about something when I DO see it. I love spoilers but there’s a lot of times I’m grateful that some very big cards are left up the sleeve until the episode actually airs.

• Actually, I got quite a bit out of that interview. Shame you didn’t. And, like Sarah and Alex, I’d rather have half-truths than whole spoilers.

It’s the nature of Fringe. In this way, we are like Peter. We know a little more than we should but not as much as we want to and must be content with letting things unfold as they will. Although, unlike us, Peter has the ability to affect the outcome of his fate.

Well, perhaps. :)

• Clara Melville says:

I agree with you brother!

2. Sarah says:

Maybe Nina thinks she’s helping Olivia in some twisted way. But forcibly injecting your surrogate daughter with drugs that seems to only be giving her incredibly painful migraines and no abilities in sight doesn’t seem to be the way to go. Especially considering in this timeline, Olivia already had lower doses of Cortexiphan as a child (stated in Subject 9) and has no idea she can cross over at will (Back to Where You’ve Never been “When I can what?” she replies to Peter saying that). But the fact September told her she had to die…on top of dying fro ma gunshot himself. How does someone who can see all possible futures get a bullet to the heart? I always thought Peter was a variable in the universe but maybe he’s a constant. And Olivia is more of a variable. I don’t want her to die, though, because she’s my favorite and deserves to be live a life and be happy for once!

• Meg says:

But did September really die? We don’t know much about the observers, so maybe it is possible that their ability to be everywhere can somehow be connected to mortality. Either way, I need a weekly Michael Cerveris fix and killing September is not the way to do it.

• lizosarus says:

I never considered that maybe Nina was inhibiting Olivia’s abilities with the injections… I don’t know why she would be unless it has something to do directly with DRJ’s obsession with her… It does make more sense that because Olivia didn’t finish her Cotrexiphan trial Nina’s been administering cortexiphan in the hopes that it would illicit a response even years later. I really don’t know what’s happening yet. But I’m glad they aren’t going to forget the Nina plot for some much later date!

• Lisa says:

Where did you get the idea that Olivia is Nina’s surrogate?? I can’t say that’s ever been said or hinted at. What I have seen is that in this timeline, she took her in at some point and helped in her raising. I’m of the opinion that Nina knows a lot and is probably trying to block Olivia’s ability to flip between worlds with those shots.

3. D. says:

What about the ending of Season 3, Episode 19 (“Lysergic Acid Diethylamide”), where Olivia talked about the man from the picture, who’s going to kill her?

Is that man related to the Observer’s warning? that’s the first thing that came up in my mind when I saw that scene.

4. Cortexifan says:

Agree with you Sarah.
    This is Fringe: not everything is as it seems.
    I like their vague answers, keeps me guessing only to find out I was totally wrong.
    Watch tonight, live if you can!
    Fringe Rocks!

5. Michael Sacal says:

“TVLINE | The Observer warning Olivia that she must die — is that tied to an existing plot point, or is it kicking off a new storyline?”

It’s an existing plot point. Remember, in the animated episode that took place inside her head we saw a man that she later told Peter would kill her.

That still hasn’t been resolved, has it?

6. Jon says:

Your smart. But if I remember correctly, that was the episode where they go into Olivia’s mind to get Bell out? If that’s the episode, then the “guy whose going to kill me” would be in her mind, and not real.

Also, that was OUR timeline Olivia. There’s no way to know how the whole William Bell possession thing went down without Peter, or if it even ever happened at all.

7. Cooper says:

All I want this season after Peter and Olivia get back together, is for there to be no more OBSTACLES between Peter and Olivia. If I see another ‘convenient’ obstacle dropped into the story I’m gona roll my eyes to high heaven. We’ve had enough obstacles to last a lifetime, let them get on with their relationship and don’t worry about boring the audience; if anyone can make a couple interesting on television, it’s Fringe. Yes, the separation has made it epic, if not dilluted by the dream sequences but ANOTHER separation near the end of the season like ‘Bellivia’ is just too much.

8. susela says:

In your first para, it should be “…as an ersatz fall finale is *wont* to do…” The word is from Middle English, meaning “customary practice.” (Do you guys need a good proofreader? I’m available!)

9. Liz says:

Here’s my theory: Olivia has to die to have a near-death experience to remember Peter.

10. Louise says:

I think the very fact that she was shot in the head in the nearish future when peter used the machine has something to do with the fact shes having migraines, it cant be just a coincidence. I really hope they don’t have to rush everything so that it finishes it all off. I’m hoping that fox gives it one more season but they have been very patient as it is.

11. Jockette1983 says:

I love this show do much I really do hope they don’t cancel it! In UK we have to wait until Feb till Fringe returns to Sky! I like that they keep things vague when talking about Fringe it gives us all more to talk about!!

12. qq says:

An exec at Fox already implied that Fringe will be cancelled after this year, so the writers have to wrap things up.

13. Rollasoc says:

That isn’t the real Oliva. That is a shapeshifter one of Nina’s making. She just doesn’t know it. She will have to die. Yep!

• Briar says:

If she’s a shapeshifter, Olivia is already dead. That’s what makes these shapeshifters so horrific. They pretend to be a loved one they have killed.

14. Scott Slifer says:

I really hope this is tied in to last season’s animated episode where Olivia drew the man in the blimp with the Celtic cross on his shirt and she said, “That’s the man who’s going to kill me.” I have been DYING for some resolution to that!!

15. AngelMoonGirl says:

I can’t even pretend to know what the heck will happen or why XD Fringe is just like that!
    I cannot WAIT for tonight’s new episode, ah!

16. Elliot says:

If killing this Olivia gets Peter home to the real Olivia, let’s get on with it. And I agree on the needless multiplication of obstacles. Life with the person you love can actually be exciting and interesting… with or without a baby (you guys liked Fakey having a baby; you wouldn’t if Olivia and Peter had one?).

I believe the Fringe writers would be able to write astounding, exciting episodes with Peter and the real Olivia together, and would love to have that happen. I miss P/O, I miss the Bishop Boys.

And yes, Pinkman have a way of being so coy as to be fact-free. It’s the style.

17. Todd says:

My guess as to why Olivia has to die is that she is the main reason for the universes doomed fate. She was the only child who responded to the cortexiphan trials positively. As we found out in the original timeline, Walternate discovered where Peter had been taken because Olivia crossed over in a moment of panic and unknowingly had a conversation with him. We have seen her do this many times since season 1 (cross over without knowing it). So, because she is so strong – no matter what probability occurs, she always ends up causing a rift between universes. She is most likely the reason why Peter was pulled back into existence.

18. Todd says:

Additionally, even though Peter feels as though his timeline still exists, I feel as though these are the people he knows and loves and that his timeline cannot exist anymore. In regards to September, I think it was another example of Olivia being able to witness future events. September wasn’t really there, not at that moment in time. She was projecting to a future event.

19. sharn says:

Well the shot in the head, migranes blah blah makes sense but again this is fringe there is heart ache waiting for olivia the other one stole her man and had his baby and. She lived during the child birth I figured one of the olivias have to die but I’m hoping it will be a twist and the man stealer bites the bullet then my olivia can live or peter dies and man stealer and livy gets to raise the baby any way works for me. I love peter but he should have known that wasn’t the real deal!

20. Sharon says:

So forgive me if I’m a little obtuse – but is Peter the blind-item character that Michael has been teasing us with over the last couple of weeks???

21. Cass says:

I love all the versions of all the characters in a unique way. But I’m okay if “our” Olivia in the alternate timeline must perish, because she isn’t actually OUR Olivia–the one we know and love most. She’s not Peter’s Olivia, either. That said, I’d prefer she lived, and got together with “our” Lincoln Lee from the alternate timeline, and lived a happy, kick-butt life and profession. I am loving Joshua Jackson’s work this season. And while I can’t thank FRINGE enough for bringing Seth Gabel into the series-regular fold, I still want Kirk Acevedo back full-time! One can’t have enough Charlie Francis. And with PRIME SUSPECT canceled, he might have the time…

22. Jeanster says:

I’m still waiting for the Mark Valley character who “died” in the very first episode to show up in a different universe. You may recall his “corpse” being on a table in the Massive Dynamics lab with Nina trying to “download” some information from it.

23. Bill says:

Bring Charlie back!!!!!! We all enjoyed his role with the worms!!

24. Fringe Sucks says: