Vampire Diaries' Joseph Morgan on Klaus Wooing a New Lady and Winning the War With Stefan

Get More: Interviews, Previews, Scoop

Joseph Morgan of The Vampire Diaries (Thursdays, 8/7c) is  very “excited” about Klaus’ new romantic storyline on the CW drama. And after watching last week’s episode, we can see why. Sharing a single, but powerful scene with Caroline, Klaus pretty much sealed our suspicions that the blonde vamp is the object of his desire.

Below, Morgan talks about the difficulties of wooing his new love interest, Klaus and Stefan’s game of one-upmanship, his character’s family troubles, breaking sire bonds and more!

Exclusive: The Vampire Diaries Casts Smallville Alum Cassidy Freeman In ‘Devilish’ Role

TVLINE | We have to talk about this love interest that Klaus is getting. What can you hint about the storyline?
He has his eye on somebody. It’s not going to be an easy process for him. He’s used to getting his way, and he’s not going to get his way straight away here. This girl is going to play hard to get and is going to be difficult for him to woo. And after a 1,000 years of the same old, same old, to have someone new and interesting and intriguing is a novel concept for him. So a part of it is the excitement of having this new challenge and part of it is just I feel like he’s picky. You roam for a 1,000 years, you’ve been there and done that, so he really is looking for someone who is going to challenge and stimulate him, and I think he really does find that. So I’ve enjoyed tremendously the last couple of episodes, playing a different side to him, and it’s different to how he is with his family. … It’s a different kind of humanity, a different kind of emotion, with somebody who you’re trying to woo, who you are trying to invest in, and you desperately want to invest in you.

TVLINE | Were you surprised by who the person is?
Yes. It’s not what I saw coming. … It’s incredibly exciting. That could be said for all off the twists and turns. Every time I get script I’m like, “Really?! Oh my goodness, I didn’t see that coming.” Even to the point when I got my first script — “This guy’s a hybrid?! What?” It’s all so exciting.

TVLINE | They’re introducing your brothers, Kol and Finn. What’s Klaus’ dynamic with them like?
What’s wonderful about that is that the writers have really worked to make these two guys individual. It’s not just like there are these two badasses, and they’re both the same and you can’t tell them apart. They really have distinct personalities ,just like Elijah and Klaus are very different. … You can’t say Kol is “kind of like Damon” or Kol is “kind of like” that. They’re really not. They’re on their own, and they have distinct motives and relationships. It’s just been really interesting bringing in, again, a new dynamic. I feel like we’re getting closer and closer to a spin-off.

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Vampire Diaries and More!

TVLINE | Is their introduction a good thing or a bad thing for Klaus?
Well, let’s put it this way: He’s been carrying family around within coffins. He daggered them all. They’ve all been under the assumption for however many years that their father killed their mother when really we found out it was him. So it’s going to be bad news when they get out of the coffins. It’s not going to be a good thing for him. He’s going to have some serious explaining to do.

TVLINE | Stefan’s playing pretty hardcore with the coffin business, and Klaus hasn’t had a lot of luck with him and the standoff.  What is he going to do next?
Klaus is really all about the war, not the battle, and he’s a strategist. If there’s one thing you learn after being around for a 1,000 years, it’s patience, and he certainly has reams of that. So I feel like, yeah, there’s going be steps taken, which he didn’t expect, but he’s going to regroup and he’s going to strategize and he’s going to figure out how to get the better of them. But it’s going to be ongoing for a little while. What’s in the fourth coffin is going to be something pretty exciting, and they’re going to milk that for a little while, I think.

TVLINE | Bonnie’s kind of teamed up with Stefan in this whole ordeal. Does that bring her into conflict with Klaus?
Oh, absolutely. If you’re not with him, you’re against him, right? She’s putting herself in the firing line there — and her mother as well — so it’s a huge deal.

Vampire Diaries Joins PaleyFest 2012 Lineup

TVLINE | Their last confrontation was in the high school was pretty nasty. Is there another big face-off coming?
There’s little snippets, yeah. It’s funny because I really love Kat Graham. We get along really well, and we have hardly anything to do with each other in the show. So we’re always pushing a little bit for more. But yeah, we’re going to see those characters on the screen together again, let’s say that.

TVLINE | Let’s talk about the relationship with Tyler and that weird little dynamic. Is there any way that a sire bond can be broken?
That’s something that he wants because, more and more, Klaus is pushing him to an uncomfortable place. And one of the things I thought about Klaus from the beginning is he is a button pusher. So if he makes Tyler do something uncomfortable, and Tyler is visibly uncomfortable with it, next week he’ll try something even worse. There’s not a way that we know of as yet that a sire bond can be broken. It’s an incredibly strong bond, but I know that that’s something that Tyler’s working towards, that he wants. But I just don’t know whether it will be possible or I don’t know the answer to that. If it is, it’s going to be pretty difficult, I would imagine. It’ll involve magic of some sort.

Comments (66)

• I was a little wary of a Caroline/Klaus romance at first, but they had so much chemistry in last weeks episode!

Comment by alyssa897 – January 19, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Klaus is AMAZING, the best character! But I do not trust him, lol. Caroline must be careful.

Comment by Anna – January 19, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually really like the idea of Klaus & Caroline. I also love Tyler though so I guess its win/win. Maybe I’m just a sucker for a evil character that has a bit of a soft side.

Comment by Katie – January 19, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Klaroline! <3

Comment by Amy – January 19, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is Caroline not the love interest? Or was this interview done before last week’s episode aired? Klaroline needs to happen.

Comment by So wait! – January 19, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • they’ve neither confirmed nor denied. its just assumption that she is. the word most articles like to use is “coy”.

Comment by tigersmurfette – January 19, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t been this excited for a ship since the early Delena days! While they will always be #1, I adore the idea of Klaus and Caroline! Bring it!

Comment by Michelle – January 19, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like that he seems to be genuinely excited to be a part of this show and enjoying his storylines.

Comment by Ari – January 19, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a little wary myself, though I wonder if this is a way for Tyler to finally break his sire bond with Klaus. Love seems to be a driving force to everything on this show…

Comment by Anne – January 19, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the thought of a spin off show on the original family. I love Vampire Diaries but am really fascinated with the thought of a show just about the originals and all their adventures through the centuries.

Am liking the Klaus and Caroline romance idea. They might be very good for each other.

Am glad they are giving Bonnie more air time.

Comment by Johnnie – January 19, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited for more Klaroline =D

Comment by Sarah – January 19, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the idea of Klaus and Caroline. :) Im just glad it’s not Elena he likes.

Comment by Christina – January 19, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure if I like a spin off show, just adds another to the list that I have to watch

Still not loving Klaus and Caroline…

Comment by sarah – January 19, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Caroline is the love interest for Klaus.

Comment by Marie – January 19, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE KLAROLINE!!!!!!

Comment by Katie – January 19, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please stop saying Klaroline : / Why must we merge names constantly? That being said I love both Klaus and Caroline but not together. Even if they did have their touching moment last week, not sure it was all genuine. Klaus MADE Tyler bite bite her but Tyler is the bad guy? Hu uh…don’t like it. Especially when Tyler just declared his love for her!!

Comment by Chelle – January 19, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If she gets with Klaus she will loose all her friends. I mean how could Elena and Bonnie be “cool” with caroline dating Klaus after he Killed jenna, tried to kill Jeremy, Elena and bonnie. all more than once. It’s just STUPID. Besides that would be wrong since klaus is the one that Made tyler bite her in the first place.

Comment by Aries – January 19, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And he did tried to kill Caroline too in the Sacrifice episode (but Jenna ended up the one dying) LOL

And as Chelle said I also love Caroline and Klaus but not together. Of all the character they could have chosen, Caroline seems the oddest one. As I read somewhere else “Where did this interest came out from?! Klaus barely had scenes with Caroline since his arrival and now she’s a love interest?!”

Comment by Manie – January 19, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • As I read somewhere else “Where did this interest came out from?! Klaus barely had scenes with Caroline since his arrival and now she’s a love interest?!” <– I agree with your sentiment. As I said above, my only thought would be that this would surely push Tyler to break his sire bond with Klaus.

Comment by Anne – January 19, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree. Klaus is evil and Caroline should know better. Also, villains should stay villains and not turn into sappy romantic fools. I love Delena but I do miss bad Damon! If Klaus goes after Caroline, he’ll lose all his bad@ssness. Also, does Caroline have to sleep with all the main male characters? Damon, Matt, Tyler, now possibly Klaus? This is getting worse than 90210!

Comment by Lisa London – January 19, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for the klaroline dance in 3X14.

Comment by Klaroline – January 19, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree :)

Comment by Ashley H. – January 19, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stefen should be careful with klaus,he might end up wining them all. Tyler is on who’s side????

Comment by raiyan abdulnas – January 19, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the idea of Klaroline. It just so strange and perfect at the same time. It fasinating. And waaaaay more interesting then Forwood ever was (I’m sorry forwood shippers but it’s true). Klaus is magnetic and captivating and interesting. There is so much story there. And adding Caroline into that would give her so much screen time. And I think it will add more depth to her character. Loving a man like Klaus must not be easy and it says a lot about a persons will power and over all strength. It takes a strong woman to capture the eye of a man like Klaus. And I think that that is what the writers want to turn Caroline into. She is going to grow and evolve into a strong woman. I feel like after this she would have out grown Tyler. It’s sad, yes, but this kind of stuff happens all the time.

Comment by Nick – January 19, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Klaus and Caroline? I like it! =D

Comment by Christine – January 19, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Caroline and Klaus had a “connection” in last week’s episode. That being said if she falls for Klaus she’s an IDOIT. I mean Klaus killed Jenna, Has tried to kill Elena and Bonnie more than once, Made stephen do horrific things, and the list just keeps going and let’s not forget how he turend tyler into a hybrid. I mean it’s klaus fault that Caroline can’t be with Tyler. so for her to be with a monster like Klaus would just ruin her realationships with everyone she cares for. I mean i know Damon has done soem terrible things too but no one has hurt any of the characters on the show more than klaus. So as much as i enjoyed their “Chemistry” I really hope they don’t become a couple.

Comment by Aries – January 19, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay, klaus and caroline would be epic together.

Comment by Hannah – January 19, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys are High! Klaus is the reason Caroline broke up with Tyler because of the sire bond and he Killed Aunt Jenna hooking up with Klaus would make her the biggest backstabber and biggest Hypocrite Im done with Caroline if it happens cause it destroys her characttoo Delena makes me Barf too!

Comment by josh – January 19, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The reason they are bringing in a love interest for Klaus in the form of CAroline is because the writers want to show that while, yes he is a murderous a-hole, he, like every other vampire, has human emotions. Caroline would be showing us another dimension to Klaus. It’s not like it will last forever. But they will have an epic romance that will not work out because she can’t change who he is. I don’t know what everybody is getting so up in arms about. It’s a TV SHOW, for the love of God! Fictional characters doing fictional things. It’s just for entertainment….stop acting like it’s your whole life. GAH!

Comment by Emily – January 20, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the writers are doing this becasue the character of klaus has become extremely popular but the stephen vs klaus and his killing spill can only go on so long before they need to find a way to end it which would send him off the show. The only way they can do this is to find a way to humanise him and tie him to the rest of the canvas giving him a love interest will give him a human aspect and give him more dementions. As for klaus/caroline how long they last will depend on the story the writers want to tell and how the fans react to it. If they end up being a favorite they will keep them if not they will break them up. I just think they haven’t gotten the reaction they want for caroline’s other pairing so they needed a change only time will tell. What we do know that is kluas will never be good but i think if he finds love he maybe more like damon’s character. As for her friends they are her friends and will get over it. Look at elaina damon has done some horrible things especially to caroline but all seems forgiven

Comment by hallie – January 20, 2012 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Caroline and Klaus needs to happen! =)

Comment by Melissa – January 19, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m obviously in the minority here but I’m so far not a fan of the Caroline/Klaus romance idea. She just doesn’t fit what I think would be a girl to take his breath away and bring him to his knees. She’s a lovely character and a great friend within the group but I just don’t feel it with Klaus and her.

Comment by Alex – January 19, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am a fan of caroline/klaus but i get what you are saying at this point it is more of i don’t see it but i think we will see more story on emotional level. I think what we will see is that caroline will bring out his human side i think even though klaus is bad what he really wants is to connect with someone to have what elaina/stephen had that never ending love someone that he can trust and depend on and someone who can depend on him. I think he has never had that or was extremely burned by it and caroline represents that for him his chance for that and he is going to want to hold on to that and i think we will more genuine moments with them

Comment by hallie – January 20, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pissed that they shipped Jeremy off.

Comment by mike – January 19, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As soon as Klaus came to visit Caroline at her home I was thinking, “It’d be pretty cool to have Klaus and Caroline become an item.” Caroline’s been through the ringer so much, with Tyler and with her father, maybe she wants to let loose and be evil with Klaus. Just think of the mayhem they can cause! I love it!

Comment by Beth Ann – January 19, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did. He. Say. Spin. OFF?
    God, that would be epic. Anything else from this universe with the same writers would tickle my fancy.
    Does anyone else feel we are actually going to move away from Klaus being a bad guy to him becoming good? I don’t think he’s dying any time soon..

Comment by Danielle H – January 19, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Love interest is not going to be Caroline…..hopefully. What if it turns out to be Cassidy Freeman’s character?

Comment by TheDude – January 19, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It can’t be cassidy freemans character is in flash backs to the 1920′s and is connected to the salvetor brothers. Sorry it does look like it will be. It usually is a sign when two characters who have no scene together suddenly have scene’s together can you say foreshowdering

Comment by hallie – January 20, 2012 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally dont care what bad stuff Klaus has done I am 100% on team Klaroline. Hope it happens they are so fabulous together.

Comment by Kristy – January 19, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • anyone else think that the 4th coffin has the mother?

Comment by SonR – January 19, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m guessing.. his heart. My thinking: Somehow, a witch took vengence on him and took out his heart and placed it in a coffin that he can’t open but can take w/ him. You kill his heart, you kill him.
      This happens alot in vampire mythology, so perhaps it’s going to come to this show..

ANYWAY. SPOILER ALERT FROM TONITE: … dun dun dun ELIJAHHHHHH!!!!

Comment by Danielle H – January 19, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Interesting…….

Comment by kbooga – January 19, 2012 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hell yeah the shortest but awesomest scene in the entire episode “ssooooooo Niklaus, what’d I miss ?”

Comment by Max – January 20, 2012 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve become a huge fan of Klaus and Joseph Morgan. I hope they keep him around for a long time – and I can’t wait to see how Klaus tries to woo Caroline!

Comment by Miranda – January 20, 2012 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I have to say up to now i have not been a fan of caroline or her pairings i found tyler boring, I thought matt had potential they were cute but didn’t last very long. I have to say caroline/klaus i would love i think they could become the best couple. They are like the pairing that never occured to me but now it is like ok that is a possiablity but i agree with what joesph said, for that to happen they have a long road because on one hand klaus is so damaged and closed off and he has some serious trust issues. Can he really be able to trust anyone or not manipulate them, Can he actually be honest and genuine with someone it is hard to see him love anyone but power and killing everyone and as for caroline how does she get past and trust someone who has done so much damage and cause so much pain not only to herself but to the people she loves.

Comment by Hallie – January 20, 2012 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Klaus and I think he would be great for Caroline because they both need that “bond of love”. They are both smart and think for theirselves and would compliment each other. Klaus stands out and has sparked some sparks for this show….Good job Joseph, your eyes do all the work! and by the way to everyone, Klaus can change he just needs something else to live for, like Caroline.

Comment by Kelly – January 23, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No I don’t think the 4th coffin is the mother, she died. But I do think it is the witch that turned them all into vampires, that made them into the original family. She made them she can take them away!

Comment by Kelly – January 23, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always thought Klaus’ love interest would be Bonnie. Of course I got my hopes up for nothing. I’m indifferent over Klaroline. She doesn’t seem strong enough for him and I much prefer Forwood. Adore Caroline though…

And what the??? Joseph Morgan may get a spin off? I’m all over it!! I pretty much watch TVD for him anyways.

Comment by Stacy – January 23, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loool have you ever thought that this new love interest could be Bonnie?

The description of the interest sounded like Bonnie. Completely.
    I’m all for it!
    I love Caroline Nd Tyler together!:)

So Klonnie for the win!
    WOOOP WOOOP!

Comment by Lisa – February 5, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow everyone f you are funny but good statements I give you a high five for that.

Comment by heidi – October 18, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No matter if some one searches for his vital thing, so he/she wants to be
    available that in detail, therefore that thing is maintained over here.

Comment by buy green coffee – May 1, 2013 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the episode 4*23 was really intresting.love iit <3

Comment by analee – May 21, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hello! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my old room
    mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him.

Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

Comment by composite decks – June 22, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very quickly this web site will be famous among all blogging and site-building viewers,
    due to it’s pleasant articles

Comment by Santa Fe Italian Restaurant – June 26, 2013 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s up to every single one, it’s really a nice for me to visit this website, it consists of important Information.

Comment by 211northumberland.ca – August 3, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wonderful points altogether, you just received a new reader.
    What might you recommend about your post that you just made a
    few days in the past? Any positive?

Comment by replacement water filters – August 29, 2013 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you are going for best contents like myself, simply pay a
    visit this site all the time as it presents quality contents, thanks

Comment by eureka forbes water purifiers – September 15, 2013 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi there! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site
    with us so I came to give it a look. I’m definitely enjoying the information.
    I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
    Great blog and excellent design and style.

Comment by http://Handsomephysici86.wordpress.com – September 16, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi there great blog! Does running a blog similar to this require a large
    amount of work? I’ve virtually no knowledge of coding however
    I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyways, if you have any ideas or
    tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off topic nevertheless I just needed to ask.
    Appreciate it!

Comment by Young – September 25, 2013 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simply desire to say your article is as astounding. The clearness to your put up is
    just spectacular and that i could think you are knowledgeable
    in this subject. Fine along with your permission allow
    me to clutch your feed to keep updated with
    impending post. Thanks one million and please keep up the enjoyable work.

Comment by buy pinatas phoenix – November 21, 2013 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site, how
    can i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me a acceptable deal.

I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your
    broadcast offered bright clear idea

Comment by french country kitchen decorating ideas – December 8, 2013 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I pay a visit every day a few blogs and information sites to read
    content, however this weblog offers quality based
    posts.

Comment by kitchen appliances – January 5, 2014 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post