Jessica Lange Is 'Considering' American Horror Story Encore

Get More: Casting News, News

Fresh off her Golden Globe win on Sunday night, Jessica Lange allowed for the possibility that she will be among the “two or three” cast members returning for Season 2 next fall.

“Yes, we are considering a second season,” the actress shared backstage at the Globes. “Nothing is definite yet.”

As for who else might return for an encore, Lange said, “That’s going to be entirely up to [the producers]. I know that everybody that is returning will be playing a different character.”

AHS cocreator Ryan Murphy has previously stated that Season 2 will be “radically different” from Season 1, serving up a new setting/locale and a (mostly) new cast. As for who won’t be back, he only ruled out returns by Dylan McDermott and Connie Britton.

Golden Globes 2012: Check Out the Complete Winners List

Grasping her brand-new statuette, the Oscar-winning Lange said that Horror Story and the role of Constance came along at a time when the writing in Hollywood at large has “suffered.”

“I rarely see a script that excites me,” she said. “But with American Horror Story, every time we would get a new [script], they would have written something for me that was really exciting and challenging.”

Lange directed props at Murphy, whom she deemed “brilliant” and “one of the most imaginative people working in film or television today. I was grateful to have the writing given to me every two weeks.”

That is, when the scripts showed up in a timely manner. Lange said that more than the ghoulish horror scenes or a hairdo that “tested my patience,” memorizing Constance’s grandiose speeched at times on short notice proved the greatest challenge. “The final monologue that I have in the last episode was something I had to try to nail down in an incredibly short period of time,” she shared. “To me, that’s more difficult than any of the physical things.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (17)

• I see the senility has set in. A little worm like Murphy is not worthy of standing in her presence, much less giving her lines.

Comment by Sam – January 15, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s obviously very grateful to the person who created this character for her. It’s what you do when you win an award, moron.

Comment by dee123 – January 15, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s obnoxious that people choose to be so ugly behind the relative anonymity of the internet. I wish these response areas were more moderated, or people were forced to use their full, real name (as I do) so they have to be more responsible for what they say.

Comment by John Berggren – January 16, 2012 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My name is Sam Shaw, I live in Ohio, and I think Ryan Murphy is the most overrated writer on the planet.

Comment by Sam Shaw – January 16, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “Overrated writer” is hugely different than “little worm”.

That said, I find it bizarre how people love to read/post about everything they aren’t a fan of. I don’t have that much time in my day.

Comment by John Berggren – January 16, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Clearly you do, since you obviously weren’t a fan of my post.

Comment by Sam – January 16, 2012 04:13 PM PDT
  • And who the heck are you? “little worm”…lol do you know him or just not into quality television?

Comment by Adam – January 15, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was awesome in the first. I’d love to see her as a new character, or as Constance again.

Comment by John Berggren – January 15, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as the daughter isn’t one of the ones returning. She was truly awful in all the episodes I saw. Her delivery of lines was absolutely wretched. Jessica Lange though was great. I’m also happy Connie won’t be returning since it frees her up to do something else.

Comment by Mark – January 15, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark, you weren’t watching the same show I was. Best performances in show – Taissa and Evan.

Comment by Splum – January 15, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that both Taissa and Evan were great actors! While obviously they don’t have the experience as veteran actress Jessica Lange, they both performed terrifically!

Comment by R – January 15, 2012 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope she returns. she is the best thing about the show.

Comment by lepiki – January 16, 2012 01:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe what I saw yesterday. Please, Jessica Lange is very good actress, but this award MUST be for Maggie Smith (who, besides being a God in this world, she is an actress that would deserved a prize).
    I don’t undestand that.

Comment by eward – January 16, 2012 01:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Love Jessica Lange. I’ve been hoping she would consider coming back for season 2. Her Constance was a tour de force in season 1.

Comment by Tikkanen – January 16, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t be more thrilled that Jessica Lange won last night. She brought Constance to life, and I would love to see her next season, even if she is another character.

Comment by Diana – January 16, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica Lange was brilliant on this show! I was thrilled to see her recognized! I hope she nabs a SAG and EMMY as well!!

Comment by matt – January 16, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could never seem to warm up to AHS but thought Jessica Lange did a brilliant job as Constance.

Comment by Tee – January 16, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post