Fresh off her Golden Globe win on Sunday night, Jessica Lange allowed for the possibility that she will be among the “two or three” cast members returning for Season 2 next fall.
“Yes, we are considering a second season,” the actress shared backstage at the Globes. “Nothing is definite yet.”
As for who else might return for an encore, Lange said, “That’s going to be entirely up to [the producers]. I know that everybody that is returning will be playing a different character.”
AHS cocreator Ryan Murphy has previously stated that Season 2 will be “radically different” from Season 1, serving up a new setting/locale and a (mostly) new cast. As for who won’t be back, he only ruled out returns by Dylan McDermott and Connie Britton.
Grasping her brand-new statuette, the Oscar-winning Lange said that Horror Story and the role of Constance came along at a time when the writing in Hollywood at large has “suffered.”
“I rarely see a script that excites me,” she said. “But with American Horror Story, every time we would get a new [script], they would have written something for me that was really exciting and challenging.”
Lange directed props at Murphy, whom she deemed “brilliant” and “one of the most imaginative people working in film or television today. I was grateful to have the writing given to me every two weeks.”
That is, when the scripts showed up in a timely manner. Lange said that more than the ghoulish horror scenes or a hairdo that “tested my patience,” memorizing Constance’s grandiose speeched at times on short notice proved the greatest challenge. “The final monologue that I have in the last episode was something I had to try to nail down in an incredibly short period of time,” she shared. “To me, that’s more difficult than any of the physical things.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)