Fringe Bosses Preview Peter's Twisty Trip, an Observer's Bombshell and a Huge Season Finale

This Friday at 9/8c, Fox’s Fringe resumes its fourth season with our Peter Bishop more determined than ever to return “home” to his timeline, yet not able to avail himself of Walter’s genius-level problem-solving skills. Thus, he resorts to seeking counsel from “Walternate” – but to do so, Olivia and Lincoln will need to sneak our boy across to the other side, where more than a few surprises await. TVLine invited executive producers Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman to preview the thrilling winter premiere.

TVLINE | When “Back To Where You’ve Never Been” wound up not being the fall finale, due to the baseball playoffs, were you tempted to tinker with the edit on this episode or the previous one…?
JEFF PINKNER | Actually, no. We know that baseball is mutable – it either goes to six games or it doesn’t – and we’re mindful of that. Given that, we built Episode 7 to function with what we felt was its own pretty awesome cliffhanger, the reveal of Nina and what she’s doing to Olivia. And [Episodes] 8 and 9 were designed as a two-parter which we knew could either frustrate people but hold them over the break, or else play in back-to-back weeks.
J.H. WYMAN | Most of the episodes going forward now have a hooky pull at the end.

TVLINE | Set the stage for this episode. What is Peter’s plan and who all will get involved in it?
PINKNER | Peter has been frustrated. Walter has been refusing to help him get back to his home, his timeline, and he realizes that there’s another person in these universes who’s equally as brilliant — Walternate. Of course, Peter has his own personal attitudes about what a not-nice guy Walternate is, but despite that he’s going to put his own feelings aside to ask for help. He convinces Olivia and Lincoln to take him to the other universe, and upon arriving there he finds out that many of the things he is assuming about this timeline are not, in fact, true.

TVLINE | What is Walternate’s reaction to seeing his son?
WYMAN | It’s interesting, because it’s changed…. Walternate doesn’t have the same bitterness. He’s sort of allowed to feel a little more, so he’s a very different version of what we’ve seen.

TVLINE | One thing I really liked is that Peter gets an assist in this venture from his mother.
PINKNER | One of the things that we’ve always found so fascinating about the alt universe is the relationship that Walternate has with Peter’s mother, and not only is Orla [Brady] a spectacular actress, but we pride ourselves on the fact that our show is a series of strong woman — from Olivia to Astrid to Nina to Elizabeth. And clearly, in the alt universe, as Joel alluded, Elizabeth enabled Walternate to heal after the loss of their child. So yes, she unexpectedly provides Peter with the help that he had been looking for – and hopefully in a way that’s both emotionally satisfying and unexpected.
WYMAN | This ties into our [Season 4] theme just right, the theme of how we impact others. The fact that there was a better relationship between her and her husband impacted [Walternate].

Matt’s Inside Line: Fringe‘s Joshua Jackson Previews Peter’s Meeting With Walternate

TVLINE | Would you say that this episode is most active we’ve seen our Lincoln Lee?
WYMAN | [Chuckles] He is pretty active here, yeah. There are some entertaining things coming up.

TVLINE | Is this the first time we’ll get wind that someone else might be involved in this season’s big threat?
PINKNER | For sure. The episodes up until now have sort of laid the groundwork for the introduction of our big bad of the season, and we’re incredibly fortunate to work with one of our favorite actors again, someone who has had a presence on the show before. But as with many things this season, we’re presenting a fractal of the world we visited before, so our bad guy is someone we’ve met before but because Peter didn’t exist in this world, we meet him in a different context. He hasn’t gone through the same consequences as when we met him before.

TVLINE | Olivia has a meeting with an Observer in this episode. What do you want to say about the nature of that encounter?
WYMAN | [To Pinkner] Jeff, what can we say…? We don’t want to give anything away…. [Pauses to think] We can say that the meeting between Olivia and the Observer will definitely alter the course of what you’re going to see and what is to come.

TVLINE | There is one recurring knock against this season…. What would you like to say to the fans who feel they have “lost time” with the characters they know and love? That outside of Peter, in this timeline we’re kind of watching a bunch of posers?
WYMAN | Jeff and I are huge fans of television, and the biggest thing that stuns us is that our fans are actually thinking that we would pull the old, “Nothing you knew is true!” We would never do that. There is a very specific reason why we’re doing this story right now, and why we took this turn that we did. Traditionally, what goes on with our show is that fans may have an opinion about something, like, “Oh, why did you do that?!” — but then they realize, “Oh yeah, OK, I get it.” Hopefully they’ll feel the same way now, now that things are starting to come to fruition and things are starting to happen a bit more.

TVLINE | But isn’t Peter the only character going through any development that will stick?
WYMAN | If way back when, you got some scoop that Peter was going to have an affair and be involved in a love triangle, and you didn’t know about Olivia and Fauxlivia, you would never have imagined that there’d be two versions of Olivia. That’s why Fringe is great, because you can take a very traditional thing and do something extraordinary with it. It’s the same with this. Peter’s journey and finding out how he feels, what he’s doing, is really important to us. When we first went over to the other side, don’t forget, a lot of people said, “Oh, I don’t want to know about those characters. They’re not our characters.” And fortunately, people came around to like them and actually feel invested and compelled by them.
PINKNER | And at the same time, I think that the [complaint's] premise is slightly faulty, the idea that our characters are not going to change. Peter has been in their lives now for three episodes that have aired, and he’s going to be in their life certainly for some amount of time longer, and one of the things that we’re most interested in is how he is affecting them, how he is changing them. Walter’s been refusing to acknowledge him, both out of emotional reasons and also because of Walter’s own mental instability, but that’s not to say that’s not going to change. And Olivia is also dealing with this person who in another timeline is love with her, while she’s somebody who has sort of empty heart when we met her this season.

TVLINE | I loved that early-season scene where she was like, “I meant something to you, didn’t I?”
PINKNER | Exactly. Exactly. So I think that viewers who were concerned that Peter is the only one who will change need not be concerned.

Fox Boss Offers Renewal Updates on House, Fringe, Terra Nova and More!

TVLINE | Do you have your season finale in mind yet?
WYMAN | Yep, absolutely. We always start with a good idea of where we want to go, and we have something that we know we love, and we hope the fans will love it, too. It is one of the biggest season finales that we’ve attempted.

TVLINE | Josh Jackson and I recently had some fun with how you guys like to use the word “recontextualize” a lot. Josh did a whole riff on it.
PINKNER | We mainly just recontextualize Josh! We love people to kind of have to work at it – “Ah, now I understand things slightly differently.”

TVLINE | But do you have any ways left to recontextualize this narrative?
WYMAN | Oh yeah. We definitely have a big one coming up. This show has so many doors, an embarrassment of riches, really – “Which door is the most compelling to open?” is often a question Jeff and I ask. We look at each other and say, “Well, we could go left or we could go right….”

TVLINE | Of course, we’d love the ratings to be stronger. When do you need to know if this is in fact the last season? If this is it, do you have a special exit plan?
PINKNER |The answer to that question is the same every year. If, worst case scenario, this is the last aired season of Fringe – and as we’ve said before, there are other outlets where we can continue to tell our stories, be they graphic novels or webisodes, whatever it may be – we know what the end of the season is going to be and it can function as a series finale. As could have last season. Had Peter, who is sort of the lynchpin for the reason the show exists, been the one to sacrifice himself heroically and nobly to save the two universes and the woman he loved, it would have been a very authentic ending.

Comments (59)

• So, as I posted when I linked to this interview on Facebook: I think my three favorite quotes from this interview would have to be, “Most of the episodes going forward now have a hooky pull at the end”; “We can say that the meeting between Olivia and the Observer will definitely alter the course of what you’re going to see and what is to come”; and “Jeff and I are huge fans of television, and the biggest thing that stuns us is that our fans are actually thinking that we would pull the old, ‘Nothing you knew is true!’ We would never do that. There is a very specific reason why we’re doing this story right now, and why we took this turn that we did”.

That being said, I *am* thankful that they continue to say they intend to continue the story via another medium if canceled; however, I would be sorely disappointed if continuation of the story is relegated only to graphic novels. I don’t know why I’ve always felt like this — I love, love books — but I have never really “enjoyed” comic books or graphic novels. In most circumstances, I feel books are miles above movies and television in regard to connecting with characters, immersion in the story, etc. I’ve never felt that when reading comic books or graphic novels.

Unfortunately, that same feeling extends even to the Fringe graphic novels. Yes, I’ve read them, but for me personally, it doesn’t even feel like the same characters.

So… please consider webisodes or anything else?

Comment by Jessica – January 13, 2012 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What the Observer says is gonna blow your mind…..

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 13, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matt, you must be *trying* to drive me crazy over the next nine hours! ;) I’ve been champing at the bit since it was first revealed that the Observer meets with Olivia. … And I thought I couldn’t possibly be more excited than I already have been. :)

Comment by Jessica – January 13, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The same here Jessica, i can hardly wait. :)

Comment by panda – January 13, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hopefully it’s not something about Olivia getting killed, right? The only way that could blow my mind would be by the size of the cliche.

Comment by Sam – January 13, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bring it on… I’m dying to know and fully comprehend what the next episode will bring with it!

Absolutely amazing stuff. And yes, webisodes would be a great alternative, although I admit, waiting for TV shows is much more compelling.

Comment by S Cutajar – January 13, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • MATT. WHY would you say that?! I already can’t concentrate on necessary tasks because I’m so excited for Fringe to return, and you just multiplied that by like, a hundred.

Comment by Emily – January 13, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is what I am most anxious to see. Also, high time we had the Observers come to the forefront, since they surely hold the keys to the overall mystery. They are also outside the Amberverse, and I am really eager to see non-Amberverse characters again. For now, Peter and the Observers will suffice.

Comment by kay – January 13, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Could any1 tell me the exact hour the episode starts..!!

Comment by Skitzo – January 13, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Fringe comics up to now (except for the Joshua Jackson ones) haven’t been particularly well done. Any graphic novels for Fringe going forward, if they are meant to wrap up any storylines, MUST be written by Pinkner and Wyman, or have their name on it, or something to assure fans that it is really “canon” and not some halfhearted effort farmed out to some anonymous author.

Comment by Donna – January 13, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The ‘B’ comics weren’t meant to be cannon. They were meant to be ‘alternate’ storylines. The ‘A’ ones that Jackson wrote were meant to go along with what we SEE on the show. They were done like that on purpose. They weren’t bad, they just weren’t canon.

Comment by Chris – January 13, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • However, it must be said that the artwork in SOME of these Fringe comics (not all, but some) has been extraordinarily bad. I expect graphic novels to have artwork that actually LOOKS like the actors.

Comment by Donna – January 13, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, I was glad when you asked; ”But isn’t Peter the only character going through any development that will stick?” and yet their answers continue to fuel the notion that we are stuck with the amber characters for some time. I don’t think they seem to appreciate that the general feeling is that no one is that interested in whether Peter changes the Amber characters personally. Characters that I have little or no interest in, even if they do look like the originals. For all intents and purposes (and um, some spoiler info) we will be stuck in this frustratingly dull timeline until at least episode 15.

Comment by michael – January 13, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I share your sentiments, michael. Remember that they said that, when they were about to film episode 15. That means we will be stuck way after episode 15, probably until the end of the season, but take heart! They say they are introducing some interesting villains. As dull as the Amber characters are, I have to believe I can invest in something, like fast paced action or shocking deaths. The relationships they built for 3 years are gone, they must do something to replace that. New relationships with Dullworld won’t cut it, so I hope the new episodes are more action driven.

Comment by Sam – January 13, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think the amber characters are dull. This Olivia shot her stepfather to death, for God’s sake. And this Walter tried to give himself an actual lobotomy!

Comment by Kelly – January 13, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “I have to believe I can invest in something, like fast paced action or shocking deaths”

I guess we really aren’t watching the same show. If that’s all you think Fringe has been about, no wonder you’re so disappointed.

Comment by Kelly – January 13, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No, it was about the chore characters and their hard earned bond. The operative word here is “was”, past tense. That’s what I had invested in and that’s what they took away. This season is about dull strangers I know very little about and care even less. Therefore, I hope it starts getting interesting in some way.

Comment by Sam – January 13, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree with you. I’ve been very interested in what the different takes of our familiar characters have been. I think the Amber characters are a fascinating way of looking at the question of what you would look / sound / do if you had different things occur to you in your life.

Comment by Matt – January 13, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no doubt that the writers have a reason for what they are doing.
    I believe that the rest of the season is going to be fascinating.

Comment by panda – January 13, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, panda!
      And I have some sort of crazy notion/wish/hope that if this episode had aired as the fall finale as intended, we wouldn’t have such a splintered fan-base presently. Maybe my hopes are too high, but I’m really wishing for this episode to begin to shed some light on the reasons why we’re in Amberverse/Dullworld. Maybe we can then begin to reach some sort of understanding and investment in these “new” characters, like most were able to regarding the red-verse (although I know some fans still didn’t enjoy the focus on the other side). Because, really, if you play “Mad Libs” with fan comments (including my own I’ve made over recent weeks) regarding their displeasure with the timeline this season, it’s basically the same complaints made originally in season 2 and 3, but with “amber” instead of “red” and “ridiculous/cartoonish/pointless” instead of “dull/boring/pointless”. haha

Comment by Jessica – January 13, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Errr… my last sentence made no sense. It should have read: …they’re basically the same complaints made originally in seasons 2 and 3, but with “amber” instead of “red” and “dull/boring” instead of “ridiculous/cartoonish”.

Comment by Jessica – January 13, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I disagree, I think people were frustrated last season but admittedly they were still being entertained. There is a major difference. That frustration was borne from their favourite characters being separated but it wasn’t a frustration from a lack of good story telling. Those people (not you), unfortunately don’t seem to be able to tell the difference. This season it is frustrating because it is dull, difficult to emotionally invest in, managing to hit all the boring notes and erroneously patting itself on the back for it.

Comment by michael – January 13, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • “Dull” in YOUR opinion. Not everyone watching Fringe feels that way about this season. The storytelling has been just fine.

The second episode of this season was among the top 5 the show has ever had. Nothing in the last half of Season 3 compared to it, IMHO.

Comment by Donna – January 13, 2012 12:45 PM PDT
        • Personally, there were times when I was frustrated with the regular time zone and wanted to watch the red while they had our Olivia in season three.

Comment by T – January 13, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol yes i know what you mean.:D

Comment by panda – January 13, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great interview.
    However, that was the second time I’ve read the EPs say that last season’s finale could have served as a series finale… I know that I certainly would have been frustrated with that as a finale. Peter just disappears… Am I the only one who find a problem with that scenario? I realize that finale is in the past and this could be viewed as a moot point, but really… if an equally as… mysterious finale airs this season with it turning out to be the SERIES finale, that concerns me.

Comment by Saracen Riggins – January 13, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Saracen: It’s a little known fact that an alternate ending scene to Season 3 was written – Anna Torv mentioned it once. This was at the time they didn’t know if it had been picked up. I believe the pickup news came either during, or right before they shot the season finale.

Comment by Donna – January 13, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do. The fact that they think that last season’s finale would have served as a satisfying series finale is very worrying. Killing off Peter and make the remaining characters not remember him or the past 3 years would have been like flipping the bird to the fans. It still is annoying direction, but they have a season to fix it. I am concerned they could think something similarly off-putting for the series finale.

Comment by Sam – January 13, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was meant as reply to Saracen, sorry.

Comment by Sam – January 13, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, I think it would’ve been a great series finale. Obviously they’d have to edit the episode knowing that it was ending, and they’d have to alter the ending a little bit to get some more closure and stuff like that. He definitely didn’t mean that it would have been a great series finale exactly like that. I’m sure there would’ve been changes in that episode.

Comment by Juan – January 13, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Obviously, they would have used alternate footage that they’d shot to wrap up the series had it been cancelled between the end of shooting and the airdate. It was reported here (and in other places) that those scenes had been shot *in case*. That said, Fringe is easily one of the Top 3 shows out there right now, both in quality of acting and quality of writing. It’s really too bad that so many Americans are literally too stupid to follow along or ‘get it’.

Comment by tarc – January 14, 2012 03:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can’t tell, you how much i like your comment tarc.

Comment by colossus – January 14, 2012 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by michael – January 13, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *in reply to sam*

Comment by michael – January 13, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t understand their self-congratulatory stance. Either they are blind and deaf to the criticism they’ve been getting or they are confident that the following episodes will redeem this lackluster universe. I hope for the latter.

Comment by Sam – January 13, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry Sam, I totally meant *in reply to JESSICA* and not you. sorry about name checkin you there!

Comment by michael – January 13, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who knows, maybe this current world is actually a third one. Stranger things….

Comment by Bill H – January 13, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since in another interview yesterday, Pinkner and Wyman say that Amber Olivia is NOT Peter’s Olivia, but only RESEMBLES her, is she a shapeshifter? I think I’d be OK with the stupid Lincoln-Yellolivia thing if she’s a robot. Especially since all the Yellowverse people are boring and robotic anyway.

Comment by Elliot – January 13, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL TONIGHT’S EPISODE!!!!!!!

Comment by Knobly – January 13, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Hollywood Reporter’s Chief TV Critic Tim Goodman tweeted this the other day from the TCA event.

Fox executive session with Kevin Reilly: (excerpts)
    “We lose a lot of money on the show….We’re not in the business of losing money.” Reilly on Fringe. Translation: Dead.

“We’re going to put the Terra Nova, House and Fringe people in a room….” Reilly, laughing about delayed decisions. Well, he’s laughing.

Comment by Scoobs – January 13, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting that the color of this universe is amber. Brighter minds than mine have probably already thought of this and probably even posted this thought, but in previous seasons, amber was the substance people were trapped in. Some may venture that this amberverse is a metaphor for, oh, Peter being trapped in an alternate timeline, Walter’s trapping himself in the lab (meaning afraid to go out into the world), etc.

Comment by JY – January 13, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The showrunners, this interview with Matt, seem to show much calm, and even a certain feeling of certainty that the Fringe stories will be told to the end. They talk about a impactful end of this 4th season, demonstrating that everything will proceed. I think they (the showrunners) already has a “car-of-reserve” available if the car they are damaged or fails, the trips guided by them, the universe of Fringe. I think …

Comment by Zepp – January 13, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH! Awesome, I sure can’t wait…

Comment by Ghaniat – January 13, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There have been already so many Walter – Peter scenes, tired of that and also a lot Peter with Elisabeth and Walternate.
    Nothing for Olivia.
    They isolated Olivia completely, and all we have in more then 3 seasons are a few facts about her mother and stepfather and nothing about her father.
    When will we get some active backstory for Olivia?
    Wjen will Olivia get those big emotional scenes, about her life?
    They have great women, only they do not write for them, they only write for Walter and Peter.
    They should have given Olivia and Nina a bond, give them the same sort of scenes they always write for Peter and Walter, give Olivia a chance to talk about what she goes through.
    So it looked promissing in Season 4 even though it were just 2 scenes, and now Nina is evil.

Comment by Point – January 13, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To add:
      I like this timeline, and this version of Olivia, so please do not ruin her again like you did second half season 3 when she was reduced to a needy woman that had to drool after Peter, and hopefully not Fauxlivia as well. And certainly not just the girl between Peter and Lincoln
      Anna Torv is a fantatic actress, so underrated, give her real material.

Comment by Point – January 13, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wyman and pinkner…people are not invested as much as you think. Since season 3 began the ratings have tanked. Removing Peter seems like the final straw….the ratings are now 1.1 and under 3 million. It is getting embarrassing for them and the fact that they cannot even bother to rectify this situation by using Peter and the observers more show just how clueless they really are.

Comment by John – January 13, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Had Peter, who is sort of the lynchpin for the reason the show exists, been the one to sacrifice himself heroically and nobly to save the two universes and the woman he loved, it would have been a very authentic ending.” Sorry but no. As an avid Fringe fan who has watched this show religiously since day 1, all I would have thought was “but she wouldn’t have remembered him” and that to me as a viewer would be heartbreaking b/c the core of this show is relationships between the 3 main actors showing the strength and power of family and love. And to have only Peter know what he did for them and them never have known him? Uh uh.

I know that Fringe is trying to be all anti-hollywood happy ending cliche, but I actually think it do some service to them if they injected a little bit of that back. I don’t care if it’s 50 years in the future in a flash forward sequence when it happens, but to me there is nothing good about Olivia and Walter never knowing that Peter existed ‘as he existed’ to them and for them.

Comment by Alex – January 13, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Obviously, the aired episode would have been edited to end somewhat more clearly and definitively if they had been cancelled, since such footage was shot. And to be honest, it would have been an excellent ending. Would it have been all hearts and flowers (ugh)? No. But it would have been fitting to the universe they created, it would have nearly wrapped up the whole premise of the show and why each of the people were involved needed to be there, and provide a heroic end for the leads.

Comment by tarc – January 14, 2012 03:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still want to know if that comment that Olivia made last season about seeing the man that was going to kill her is ever going to come to play. Is that an actual piece of the story, or some off topic comment that she made that we’ll never see again?

Comment by Monica – January 13, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • exactly what I was thinking

Comment by Paula – January 13, 2012 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope so.

Comment by panda – January 13, 2012 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to admit that I kind of lost my interest in the show because of the seasonal break, the wait and the confusion so far the season 4 made me feel.
    Dont correct me that just my personal feeling
    I just want to know if there are FRINGE fans who feel that way too…..

Comment by KC – January 13, 2012 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • offcourse this happens, but they got my attention back today :)

Comment by iera – January 13, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if they would have ended with peter heroically saving both universes i would have burned my TV. Its good to know this seasons finally will be as good as a series finale, but really hope they continue!

Comment by iera – January 13, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night’s episode rocked.

Comment by colossus – January 14, 2012 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KC–I really feel the same way. I wish I could go to an alternate universe where the writers did something different with this season. It has been really slow developing. Fringe fans are extremely loyal, but I can’t believe we are half way through this season and we really have only seen one of the characters we have grown to love over the past three seasons. Not only that, but the dynamics and chemistry between characters that drew us in is different. It is like store brand soda versus Coke. I feel like I am waiting and watching to get a glimpse of the old crew. It would not be so frustrating if we were not looking at probably the last 10 or so episodes of the series.

Comment by freedom101 – January 14, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like the show and the actors, and I am so tired of all the “LOST” type plot detouring. Some is good, too much is … Why save this big bad guy reveal for half way through the season? It would have injected so much needed energy and suspense into the first half we knew about him sooner.

And what about Oliva? Why in the middle of season 4 do we still know so little about Oliva? Who was her father? Can we have some more of her back story?

And really agree with folks above that the ‘end’ of season 3 would have sucked as the official ending is show was canceled. Yes it would have tied up that season’s story, but no it would not have satisfied the viewers or tied up the major themes suggested and hinted at since season 1. How would any viewer feel is the true nature & intentions of the Observers are never explained? Or Olivia’s back story? Post-modern story interruptious if taken to extremes frustrates and distances the reader/viewer from the story. Maybe that is why their viewer numbers are so low. It is especially frustrating when so many of the shows for season 3 were soo well written and worked so well with the story arc.

Me thinks the producers are a bit too clever for their own good, and too pleased with themselves. If they fumble this season and end up canceled it is their own fault.

Comment by Kevin – January 15, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the observer’s warning is related to the “Season 3 Episode 19″ where Olivia saw a man wearing the “X T-Shirt”.
    She mentioned him as the man who “will kill her”.

Comment by Constantine – January 19, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post