Scoop: How I Met Your Mother Bosses Open to Extending & Renaming Series After Mother Reveal

Get More: News

Could How I Met Your Mother live on in some form after viewers finally meet the Mother?

TVLine tossed that provocative question out to executive producers Carter Bays and Craig Thomas at an intimate lunch the pair hosted for a handful of news outlets on Wednesday. Their response? It’s not out of the realm of possibility.

“That’s come up,” Bays said of a spinoff that would allow them to bring current Mother mystery arc to a satisfying conclusion  — perhaps at the end of Season 8 — and then possibly relaunch the show with a slightly tweaked premise and title (i.e. What Happened After I Met Your Mother).

“We’ve had conversations about rewinding back to 2005 and doing a series called How I Met Your Father,” Thomas revealed with a laugh. “From the perspective of what was happening with the Mother all those years. Occasionally, she’ll stumble through McLaren’s and no one will see her.”

Bays floated another idea that similarly involved turning back the clock. “One way to go is to finish the [mother] story at the end of Season 8, and then Season 9 is, ‘Oh, by the way kids, I left some stuff out…,’” he explained. “And then it’s just 24 little stories that took place over the course of the series here and there. Like, ‘Here’s something funny that happened in 2006.’”

Given the ratings growth Mother has enjoyed in its current seventh season, it’s not difficult to understand why CBS and producer 20th Century Fox TV would want to keep the franchise going — either in its current form or an altered one. Either way, Bays hopes to have some resolution on the matter soon (the series has already been renewed through Season 8.)

“We’ve already started discussions with [20th] about letting them know we need some lead time because we do have a story we want to tell and we see how quickly or slowly we should be telling this story,” he said. “Hopefully we’ll get an answer to that in time.

“It’s a hard thing,” Bays continued. “Obviously, we don’t ever want to keep the show on longer than it needs to, just like we don’t want to end it before it should end. But it’s the best job any of us have ever had.”

Comments (94)

• What Happened After I Met Your Mother is quite the mouthful.

Comment by Devo – January 11, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “how i married your mother”

Comment by SonR – January 11, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How about “After I Met Your Mother”? Short and punchy, nearly the same rhythm as the original title.

Comment by Heather – January 11, 2012 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “After I Met Your Mother” definitely has my vote.

Comment by DL – January 11, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree!

Comment by Lola – January 12, 2012 10:19 AM PDT
          • AfterM*O*T*H*E*R? It would be a train wreck on par with AfterM*A*S*H. The show has become so absurd over the past couple of seasons, I can’t believe it continues to grow in popularity. They seem to be straining for plausible ideas now, as it is.

Comment by TV Gord – January 13, 2012 11:22 AM PDT
      • thats my favorite. I want it to be when they were dating and then every once and a while flash back before they met with the mothers perspective (the umbrella, that party they were with, rachel bilson etc etc)…

Comment by Emma – January 11, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Once I Met Your Mother? Or is that too close to Once Upon a Time?

Comment by ALevy – January 11, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ted hates Once Upon a Time. Something about that main character just reminds him of his ex.

Comment by Brooke – January 11, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Of the three options – a follow up focused on their dating and marriage, a version told from her pov, and a sort of anthology – I think that the “anthology” has the best chance.

The follow up would probably make it for a year before people got tired of the plot (too much like Worst Week, but probably not as bad).

The one that is focused on her would introduce a whole bunch of new characters and in essense be a different show about pretty much the same thing, but unlike this one we would already know the ending.

The anthology focused on events we didn’t know about the first time would allow the show to continue for two years without repeating itself and without boring the audience. And the format would allow them to tell short stories that use the premise from the other two ideas, ending with the wedding.

Comment by Michael Sacal – January 11, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wait a cotton-pickin’ minute! I thought Ted was “the father”! How can we have a “How I Met Your FATHER” spin-off, when we already know who HE is? To try and tell the story from “her” p.o.v. seems redundant and doomed to fail as a series. Now, if we were to have several eps. in the final season of HIMYM that showed the two in the same scene (but not together yet) , leading up to their meeting and eventual relationship, that might tie things together.

But to start over again, with a whole new cast? I just don’t see it!

Comment by Bob L. – January 13, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think thats not a bad idea..maybe they should change the name.. i mean some people are whining, saying just show the mother already!.. and i always think if u show the mother, then the show would have to end..n i dont want it to end .so i think they should change the name, once ted meets the mother..maybe they can tell stories ted went through with the mother..

Comment by rae – January 11, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since the majority of stories Ted is telling his children have nothing to do with the mother and is just about his life I don’t see why the series has to end once the mother is revealed. There’s still the story of how they got to the altar and how the kids came to be.

Comment by lacey – January 12, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE HIMYM (used to be my #1 favorite show), but I honestly think that it should wrap up after it’s 8th season with the conclusion of who the mother is, what happens to Barney/Robin, etc.

I actually am really intrigued by “What happened after I met your mother”, but I just worry how it would work, because that means that a lot of story lines would have to be kept unresolved until then (except the mother) and it would change the dynamic of the group with the mother added.

Comment by lara – January 11, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly I’ve been wondering this for years now! Sure, the premise of the show is meeting the Mother, but I love the cast and characters and would still watch after Ted meets his future wife. They don’t need to keep stretching that out. Let’s have Ted meet her and then we can spend a few seasons of their life together, maybe up until they have their first kid. Works for me!

Comment by Jerry – January 11, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think they would need to change the name to continue after introducing the mother. I think that they should worry less about what to do after meeting the mother and more about the fact that their fanbase is deeply divided. One half of the fans don’t really care who the mother is and are watching because they love the show and the characters. The other half is utterly outraged that the mother hasn’t been introduced yet and don’t really care about the characters only about the mother mystery.

Comment by Ari – January 11, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The “HIMYF” and the six years back spin-offs are sooo awful, and would turn off some viewers. They should go on with the series, with the same exacy title, because after all, the story is about the mother. They could go on with the five leads + the mama!

Comment by Donovan – January 11, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, it would be nice if the series continued after Ted finally meets the mother. Of course that was the idea we begun with, but honestly, how many people are there that still are interested in the destination? For all these years, the journey with the gang has been amazing, so personally, i don’t care that much about who the mother is! I’m most interested to find out who Barney is going to marry with!

As for the “how i met your father” thing, that wouldn’t work! I doubt that the mother’s friends have half the awesomeness Ted’s friends have!

Comment by Demi – January 11, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know how you met our mother last summer.

Comment by Jay – January 11, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Barney and Robin to get married and her to be able to have a baby :( Twins too lolz!

Comment by Anna – January 11, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t care about the baby but Barney and Robin better get married! They are the real love story I care about on HIMYM!

Comment by Pan – January 11, 2012 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see Ted in a relationship with YM for a while but they don’t have to rename the series for that. How I met your father is an interesting idea, I’d really like to see that come to think of it. Obviously Rachel Bilson would have to guest star.

Comment by Jones19 – January 11, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that “After I Met Your Mother” would be a simpler title than the proposed one, honestly.

Comment by Summer – January 11, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about this for a title;
    How I Married Your Mother…..
    Can still keep HIMYM

Comment by Bobby – January 11, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One thing… I can see it now.
      SO kids that is how I met your mother. Now I how married your mother, that’s a great story too. Here’s how it happened….

Comment by Bobby – January 11, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Genius

Comment by Q – January 11, 2012 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • more like: How I Murdered Your Mother

Comment by deffya – January 11, 2012 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sounds like a good idea.

Comment by Nadine – January 11, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Been a fan of this show since ep 1. But it has run its course. Put a fork into it and wrap it up already.

Comment by PutAforkINit – January 11, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh c’mon, plenty of people enjoy it still, and most episodes are stellar.

Comment by Nadine – January 11, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Except for the Stella episodes…

Comment by Joel – January 11, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been saying for years they should rename it to “How I Married Your Mother” and be about their courting process.

Comment by carmen – January 11, 2012 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about “Once I Met Your Mother”

Comment by Diane – January 11, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this is a great idea. I’d hate for the idea to have Ted meet the mother. “Hi” and then that be it. I’d want to see the courting, the dating, how she’s integrated into the group. “How I Married Your Mother” would be perfect. It doesn’t have to go on FOREVER. Just maybe another season. Or even the back half of Season 8. I’d hate for it to end with Ted meeting “Mother” and then that’s it.

Comment by Teresa – January 11, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly Teresa. I’ve been having this convo for years. If we don’t see how they end up together it’s going to be a huge missing piece of the puzzle. I always thought it would end up Ted and the Mother’s engagement/wedding.

Comment by Elena – January 12, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, how about ‘Now That I’ve Met Your Mother’?

Comment by -m. – January 11, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always thought that they should end one season with the reveal of who the mother is but there is a twist. End it with Bob Saget saying “That’s how I met your mother…and her fiance” And then the final season would be about how they finally got together, so the premise is still essentially the same, the steps taken to how he finally got to be with the woman he loves.

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – January 11, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they continue telling good stories, I’d definitely like to see the show continue. Not to mention, it would be rewarding to see past just Ted’s initial meeting with the mother, as well as the further stories for Marshall and Lily, and (hopefully!) Barney and Robin.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – January 11, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always hoped it would end one season with Future Ted trying to wrap it up with “And that’s how I met your mother.” Then enter the Mother forcing him to continue the story. Plus, the romantic that Ted is, you’d think he’d be dying to get into the rest.

Comment by TM – January 11, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be awsome!! I never imagined after meeting the mother she could be narrating with Ted too..! Great idea!

Comment by sophia – January 24, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The How I Met Your Mother Variety Hour is the logical next step.

Comment by Joe – January 11, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “How We Had You” or “How Your Mother and I Had You”

Ted: “So kids thats how I met your mother”
    Kids: “Finally! We can go now!”
    Ted: “And now I’m going to tell you how we had you.”

Comment by Jenn – January 11, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Barney: “Let me summarize: Er-ee Er-ee Er-ee Er-ee Er-ee Er-ee Ahhhh!”
      Marshall: “Legally they have to consent to listening to this, Ted.”
      Lily: “Lawyered!”
      Robin: “This went a lot better than the time when my dad told me how he met my mother at Mount Riplehh.”

Cue End Credits screen and show wrap-up. They have to go out with a bang. None of this kids on a couch stuff.

Comment by John – January 11, 2012 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If they did that in a zooms out and it turns out that in the course of telling the story all the whole gang had shown up sort of way that would be pretty awesome.

I’ve always felt like they should do an episode where half way through telling it ‘Uncle Marshall’ comes into the living room. “What? Thats not what happened at all? What are you lying to your kids? This is *really* what happened” cut to a scene how Marshall remembered it. Similar to the episode where Ted remembered parts of the story wrong and it actually came later in the story because Lily was pregnant.

Comment by Jenn – January 11, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Genius!!

Comment by Carol – January 23, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But it could be awesome. I mean the Mother must be good friends with Barney, Robin, Marshall and Lily, right? It’s there some story there? And what about how he wooed the mother and who is the mother and how did she become the women that’s right for Ted. I think there is tons left to tell, but let’s meet the mother and get one with it. We could even add or take away characters. Doesn’t Robin go abroad for a while?

Comment by Booth_Girl – January 11, 2012 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would be awesome, I think the show can go on and renaming it for season 9 would be a good idea. They can add some new cast members and hopefully keep the current cast for the ninth season.

Comment by Shar – January 11, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the idea of How I Met Your Father. That would be cute…since we all know that it’s got to be Barney’s half sister, it would be cool to have a comedy series starring John Lithgow.

Comment by Ann – January 11, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a terrible idea. Personally, I feel that season 7 is doing better creatively than seasons 5 and 6. I think they should just keep up the momentum they have now and go out with a bang next season. I remember reading that Jason Segel was only going to do 8 seasons. He might be the main lead but I can’t imagine continuing the show without him.

Comment by Carter – January 11, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want the last episode to be the reveal of the mother, no title change necessary

Comment by Jake – January 11, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the show could keep going after we meet the mother, as Ted and the mother go through their relationship.
    The mother could be introduced as us not knowing it’s the mother, and the show can end when she gets pregnant and/or marries Ted.

Comment by Darcy – January 11, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t mind. I’m pleasantly surprised by how this show has worked so far. Despite the inconsistencies and the mind games (you know we’ll have our Mother checklists ready during the last season), it’s managed to become moving and funny after seasons 6 and 7 (so far). So I’m up for it! Or they can do the time jump they’re so good at. Anyway, it’s doable and I would continue to watch it.

Comment by eric – January 11, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is not necessary. The show stopped being “about” how Ted met his kids’ mother pretty early on as all the characters developed. It’s not about Ted or the mother, it’s about this group of people and their lives. It’s about Friends, but that show title was already taken.

Quite frankly, I’d be really disappointed if the show ended at Ted meeting the mom – we’ve come to know Ted so well over the years, and as a viewer invested in these characters, I want to know about the woman he marries and what their relationship is like!

Comment by Brooke – January 11, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just to clarify, when I say “This is not necessary,” I’m referring to all the worry about the title or having to fashion it into a spin-off. Just let the show keep rolling as it is.

Comment by Brooke – January 11, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the name changing idea to (1) keep the show going and (2) indicate they’re done with the finding mom storyline and are now moving on to something else. I just wish Burn Notice would something similar – love the characters but enough about his darn Burn Notice, just move on… please JUST MOVE ON.

Comment by Fido – January 11, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the mother has to be revealed at the end of this season. That way season 8 can tell the rest of the story from then until when the kids are born. And it can serve to wrap up the other characters’ storylines as well. I do think it shouldn’t drag on longer than it needs to.

Comment by Andy – January 11, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The quality has declined so much in the last few seasons. I think they need to end it with him meeting her in the season 8 finale and let that be it.

Comment by Lindsey – January 11, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d settle for them just revealing who the mother is right now.

Comment by Hojana – January 11, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know its really hard to do that not many show do well after a rename look at Scrubs and Power Rangers

Comment by Michael – January 11, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Three’s a Crowd and AfterM*A*S*H…nuff said.

Comment by eric – January 11, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about “Then I Met Your Mother”

Comment by becs – January 11, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about a drama about those poor kids’ therapy sessions after having to sit through all those stories about their dad and family friends’ sex lives?

Comment by Hanna – January 11, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would watch that :D

Comment by Charpa – January 12, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would explain why one thinks he’s a “wizard” and the other turned into a killer.

Such childhood trauma has to have consequences…

Comment by John – January 12, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It took me a moment to figure out why the boy thinks he’s a wizard. Lol, I was racking my brain trying to remember when future Ted mentioned this.

Comment by Lacey – January 12, 2012 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I lost interest in who finding out who the mother was like 4 seasons ago. Now I watch the show solely for the cast and because it’s a funny show.

Comment by Kayla – January 11, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the last episode SHOULD be revealing the mother. They could do a quick recap with cute short soundless clips of Ted and her going out, having fun, fighting, getting married, etc. with future Ted narrating.
    I think it’s the best way to end it, because if the show goes on after they meet, when does it end? When they get married, when he proposes? Plus, the show wouldn’t be that interesting considering the original plot has been solved.

Comment by Anna – January 11, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would totally be on board with a how I married your mother! A cool thing was in next season they split the show into two, they introduce the mother in her own show for one season and keep himym too, at the end of the season they meet and merge into one show called how I married your mother, and it can be told by both Ted and the m

Comment by Superluli – January 12, 2012 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It doesn’t need a name change if there is more to tell post mother reveal.
    In my opinion I no longer watch the show wanting to know who the mother is I really just love the characters and their interactions!

Comment by Ryaneco – January 12, 2012 03:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Ted/Robin, I get a “cousins vibe” from BRo (Barney and Robin). I was so disappointed when that episode aired where Ted referred to Robin as Aunt Robin to his children :’(

Comment by Katy – January 12, 2012 03:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God, are they seriously thinking of extending the series? They already drag the series long enough.

Hopefully What Happened After I Met Your Mother……is the ratings go down and it gets cancelled

Comment by Ethan – January 12, 2012 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That would be wonderful!!! I just want to know who the mother is!!!!

Comment by Alberto – January 12, 2012 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • keep the title but now under other perspective… how about another illegitimal son of Ted who wants to know how did he meet his mother? or make Ted a widower or divorcee in the future and begin another relationship with other woman.

Comment by Fabricio – January 12, 2012 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No no no no no. Just let it end in it’s current form and be done with it. Sure it’s a good show and I assume all the cast have a good time doing it, but if you let it continue it’ll just turn into a soap type thing. Barney will get too old to pick up women (because we all know the marriage wont work out in the end) Lily and Marshall’s kid will grow up, Robin, well she’s just robin. And Ted and the Mother will date, fall in and out of love before they have two kids and he’s left telling the story to his kids (because the wife has clearly left him by the time the kids grow up)

Comment by James – January 12, 2012 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How I Wed Your Mother – I’m assuming they didn’t get hitched right away, so there is plenty of story there.

Comment by J – January 12, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about…
    NOW I met your mother?

Comment by conor O'Brien – January 12, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How I Divorced Your Mother

Comment by tzuik – January 12, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can see them doing the “after I met your mother” of the 24 stories of things that also happened. Then have some episodes thrown in where we see what the mother was up to all those years

Comment by sarah – January 12, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post