Supernatural Boss Talks Bobby's Death, Dean's 'Unhealthy' State, Two Big Returns and Lots More

Oh, those poor Supernatural boys.

This season, the Winchesters have lost their beloved Impala, their friend Castiel and now their only remaining “family” member (RIP Bobby). But where did Bobby go? How will Cas come back? And is Sam about to lose his last marble? TVLine went to executive producer Sera Gamble to get answers — and dish about this week’s time-travel adventure (airing Friday at 9/8c)!

Supernatural Hot Shots: Dean Teams Up – and Suits Up! – With Eliot Ness

TVLINE | You ended the fall finale with the Reaper posing a pretty big question to Bobby. But then with last week’s episode, you didn’t address that question. Why did you decide to go in that direction?
In Episode 11 and in episodes to come, we wove in oblique references to that. What we want to do is keep the audience in the same grief space as Sam and Dean, who miss Bobby and start to question whether what they’re seeing is evidence that he might be a spirit or whether they’re just going through that normal grieving process where you think you see your loved one everywhere. Anyone who has gone through that knows that happens sometimes. And even when you are the world’s foremost supernatural investigators, that could happen to you.

TVLINE | Was the empty beer bottle one reference to that? Like, maybe ghost Bobby drank it?
Yes, that was definitely meant to tingle everybody’s “spidey sense” and make you wonder, “Is this one of those just lapse moments for them or does it mean something more?” It’s definitely meant to be evocative.

TVLINE | Will we at some point get an answer as to what Bobby chose?
We’re not going to leave you totally dangling forever. We would never let an actor as good as Jim Beaver go forever and ever. We fully intend to see him again in some way. I can’t give away everything, but I can say at the very least, we could do something like flashbacks to earlier in their lives, or bring him in in some other way.

Supernatural‘s Jim Beaver Returns to Justified

TVLINE | What’s the next course of action for the boys in pursuit of the Leviathan?
Right now, the problem is they have so little information about how to make a direct assault of any kind. Dick Roman is a monster they don’t know how to kill. Also, he’s wearing the body of a very, very powerful human. In upcoming episodes, we’ll see Dean really obsessively checking in with Frank and working with Frank on this. Sam is every bit as interested in pursuing this, but also kind of worried about Dean’s psychological state because this has become such a personal, unhealthy revenge situation for him in the wake of Bobby’s death.

TVLINE | Is Mark Pellegrino coming back?
He is.

TVLINE | Does that mean the wall in Sam’s head is breaking down again and becoming an issue?
Basically, Sam’s hallucinations never went away. He has mechanisms in place to maintain throughout the day. We’ve laid in times, as recently as Episode 10, where you’ll see him press the scar on his hand. We made the choice to keep them subtle a lot. You don’t always hear the sound effects or anything from his point of view. It’s just how he gets through the day. He knows how to sort through what’s real and what isn’t. He’s achieved a very weird status quo, a status quo that only Sam Winchester has. [Laughs] In an upcoming episode, we start to see what that looks like from his point of view again, then we shake things up for him a little bit. [The status quo] wasn’t going to last forever.

TVLINE | This week’s episode is “Time After Time After Time.” What are some of your favorite moments from it?
One of my favorite moments is just the moment that Eliot Ness (played by Nicholas Lea) walks in the room. Philip Sgriccia, our executive producer, directed it, and he clearly watched a lot of movies from the time period. It just looks fantastic! It’s quite an entrance.

TVLINE | The episode description says Sam is “surprised by the reappearance of an old friend.” Is that ghost Bobby? Or someone else?
You’ll see on Friday. Sam’s problem is every bit as bad as Dean’s because Dean is stuck. So Sam is pretty frantic. Part of the fun of this episode is they’re often in the same place, just in different time periods.

TVLINE | What is this about Sam getting beaten up by clowns?
Yep, Sam gets beaten up by clowns in an upcoming episode. [Laughs] We’ve been looking forward to doing that to him for some time. Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin, two of our longtime writers and producers, wrote a really twisted episode in which Sam and Dean have to investigate a series of murders that bring them to a kids’ restaurant called Plucky Pennywhistle’s Magical Menagerie, and it has a clown theme.

TVLINE | That’s a mouthful.
Yeah. [Laughs] They came up with it. It’s just the worst place ever for Sam. It’s even worse than a carnival.

TVLINE | What can you say about Castiel’s return?
He’s coming back! [Laughs] Soon! I can say maybe not in exactly the form you’ve seen him [in] before.

1. alyssa897 says:

I am so excited for the new episode, but I’m disappointed that we won’t see Sam in the 1940s outfits. Jensen looks smoking hot.

2. Lisa says:

On last weeks epi I totally caught that rush of air noise just before Dean asked Sam if he drank his beer. That’s got to be Bobby ;)

3. Lydia says:

I want Castiel and Bobby BACK please

4. Dominique says:

Nothing this woman says or does means anything to me anymore. She killed Bobby, the only family the boys had left, the man who was like a father to them. And now suddenly, there’s Frank, like some sort of replacement? Whatever.
    Unless Bobby comes back full force, ALIVE, Sera should just stop talking and running this show altogether.

• Corinne says:

I’m in agreement 100%. I tried giving her time and seeing where she was going to go with everything, but killing Bobby was the final straw.

• JP says:

I think it was a big mistake to get rid of Cas and Bobby. It’s really changed the dynamics of the show and it’s lost a bit of it’s personality.

Does anyone know WHY she decided to kill to fan favorites off in one season. Heck, I even miss the Impala.

• Angie says:

Amen. So tired of being strung along by her.

• Amy says:

I would say she’s the devil, but really Mark is the devil and I still love him. She’s somehow worse.

I am so done with this idea of doing something awful and traumatic to the whole fandom and then saying “Oops, jk you guys! I’ll bring him back…sort of.” This is just mean and lazy story telling.

• Julie says:

I wish I could hug you all! I`m just happy that I’m not the one who has been feeling all weirded out by this season! I’ll be having a drink in your honor tonight! Cheers!

• Terry says:

Thank You Thank you Thank you……My daughter and I who are diehard fans are looking at each other this season saying…”WTF? OK…it’s going to get better. It’s going to get better…and now BOBBY?” PLEASE Sera make things right. Bring back Cas and Bobby…figure out something but stop this nonsense! Enough! We want our story lines back..the Boys the Impala…the music! Please!

• Ed says:

I agree with all of the negative comments. when did Sera Gamble take over the show? Was it just this year? I thought it was a year or two ago. Dumping all of these major characters at once (even the car!?) is a big mistake. I don’t like it. Enough complaining by viewers got A.J. Cook & Paget Brewster back on “Criminal Minds”….maybe the same can happen here? Provided the loss doesn’t KILL the show completely….. Not that I don’t think Jensen & Jared are doing a fine job but….too many changes too quickly is always a bad idea.

• Donna says:

I totally agree! All of the negative comments have pertinence to the season. I want things to go back the way it was. There has been too many changes and that can ruin a show. After everything that the characters, Sam and Dean, have been through… then two most important characters, Bobby and Cas, who are so much apart of Sam and Dean’s lives and Supernatural fan’s lives… With the characters being taken away, I feel it is hurting us as a fan group and hurting Supernatural in the long run. It’s almost like Supernatural is coming to an abrupt end before it should. A wonderful show to end before its time is sad.

• Derek Dobbie says:

I agree 100%. Get the stories back on track. The clown epi was a joke. And the impala…what happened to that….did I miss that epi….it’s not funny and it’s not cleaver….

• Lynn says:

So will I Bobby and Cas. Give me a break I love dean and Sam but if family is soo important this isn’t right at all!!! What are they thinking with this!! Maybe she should give the writing up or maybe they will lose a lot more watchers! Loyal ones hope they see our comments!,

5. Tonya says:

Yeah cause Kripke never killed off anyone of importance on this show!

• Dominique says:

To me, there’s a difference between killing off characters who’ve only appeared in a handful of episodes (no matter how much we loved them), and someone who’s been with the show since the very first season, and practically appearing in every episode since season 5.

• Nick says:

Maybe you all should get your own freaking show, then everyone can live happily ever after ALL THE TIME. Jesus, its a horror show, people may die.

• Coco says:

Did you forget Kripke has killed John Winchester( the boys dad), Ash, and Ellen and Jo? Those are all main characters… We have seen them all come back but not for good. they all just appear for one episode. I hope we don’t see Bobby come back. I love him and it was hard to watch him go, but it was time. They are HUNTERS!!! None of them die of natural causes. Even Sam and Dean will be killed eventually. They won’t always be magically risen form the dead.

6. Lisa says:

If they don’t bring Bobby back I will be severely pissed.

• Lisa says:

Yes, I want Cas back!

• Laura says:

I’m only half watching the show since Cas left. I think I’ll probably join all of the fans who stopped watching period if Cas doesn’t come back as Cas and as a part of TFW.

• Ella says:

Word. I am super, super excited about Misha returning but equally excited by the character of Castiel coming back. Any other way, shape or form just ain’t gonna cut it. Bring back the angel we know and love, not some weird, alternate version. I also really wish the show would have the guts to GO THERE with Dean and Cas the way so many shows (Skins, Torchwood, Six Feet Under, Brothers & Sisters) have successfully done so.

• Go where? Like… together? Dude. xD Dean would never in anyone\’s wildest dreams go THERE. And it\’s not even a matter of what the show wants or even what the writers say. He has 7 seasons of character development, and NONE of it points in that direction at all. Having that happen would be the biggest train-derailed sharp jump of all time. Plus I never considered their relationship to be that kind–like Dean said before, they\’re more like brothers. No brocest here!

7. Lydia Albright says:

I love all the episode of Supernatural but when death come WOW !!! Two Minutes to Midnight
    Love Death music and the guy who plays death hes so good O! Please bring back Castiel and Bobby stop messing up my show hahahahaha

• jEyEm says:

yeah i agree…. i hope bobby and cas come back……… and i hope they wont change misha as cas…. like what they did to raphael….

8. Elle says:

Sam gets beaten up by clowns? Sam’s *built like a car* and he gets taken down by clowns? They (all 20 or so of them) better be over 6’5″ and *built like a 747* clowns because last week when those *female* monsters took him down and tied him up, and he couldn’t get away…yeah, okay.

I hope Misha’s return is NOT Castiel. I was so glad to get rid of that good for nothing *angel*.

• Belinda says:

That angel is also the reason the Winchesters have been able to even survive the apocalypse, give some respect and credit where it counts. It’s not like the Winchesters are so perfect to never make any mistakes. I hope Misha does return as Castiel because it’s stupid to leave that storyline so open and lame the way they had done with no respect whatsoever to the character who has made more waves than any guest star on this show could ever imagine.

• Emma says:

If it wasn’t for Castiel, the apocalypse probably wouldn’t have happened since HE is the one who let Sam out of the panic room to go and kill Lilith.

• jane says:

Yes. I imagine the angels wouldn’t have a Plan B. Y’know, if Cas didn’t open the door or Sam hadn’t walked out.

• Jayne says:

That’s just silly. Michael and company were orchestrating the Apocalypse for centuries right down to matching John and Mary. If Cas hadn’t let Sam out, someone else would have been sent and Cas would have no doubt been killed or tortured. And would not have been there to let Dean out of the green room, save them from Zachariah and keep them safe until they all stopped the Apocalypse as a team.

• Effie says:

Just because he helped at the very last end shouldn’t get him off scot-free and it has. Sam got hell for it by Castiel, Dean and a whole buttload of others for ‘starting the Apocalypse’.

If Castiel told Dean and Sam what was going to happen if Sam killed Lilith the first chance he had and not had waited to the last second, none of that would have probably happened.

• Clare says:

And Sam is the one who chose to walk out.

• Kit says:

Well if we are going to throw canon you can blame the angles including Castiel for waiting until Dean broke on the rack thereby breaking the first seal and kicking off the apocalypse. Angel’s for the win.

• Me says:

He thought by killing Lilith it would stop the Apocalypse but Castiel knew that that wasn’t the case and idly sat by and did nothing, except of course unlock the panic room door to let it all happen.

• Maria says:

Oh go back to your Septic Tank, troll.

• Elle aka TROLL says:

I’m a troll just because I don’t like Castiel…fine then, I’m a troll and a D@MN PROUD one at that then.

• Blah says:

A troll because your reasoning is stupid. You want to put all the blame on a character you don’t like without considering that the Winchesters were at fault, too. And so were plenty others.

• Lynn says:

The show can’t go on forever but family was a major part so are dean and Sam next? Then show over!

• Cheryl says:

It would make this show a joke if they had Misha Collins back as present day Castiel. How exactly would that work with Sam Dean and castile in a room with Sam trying to keep his hallucinations of Lucifer at bay when its Castiel who took down Sams wall and is responsible for this. What Castiel did to Sam intentionally knowing it could have killed him is unforgivable in everything that makes up who Dean is and Sams condition is permanant and if Dean forgives him that would mean the Dean we know and love doesn’t exist anymore.
      Besides Dean being angry as Hell at Castiel for what he did to Sam, not to mention torturing Ellie to death, and the thousands of humans and Angels he killed,including Bathazar his best friend. Dean isn’t going to forget Castiel is responsible for releasing the leviathans out of Purgatory and their head huncho Dick Roman is responsible for Bobbys death, which makes Castile responsible.

• Jayne says:

• Mary says:

“Cas is family and Dean’s closest friend. If Dean doesn’t forgive him, the Dean we love isn’t there anymore.”
          Speak for yourself @Jayne, because as far as I’m concerned, the Dean I love should never forgive Cas for what he’s done to the person he cares the most in the world.

• Dana R. says:

I second this @Mary.
            You can do allmost everything to Dean and he might forgive you, but hurting Sam, that’s where Dean draws the line.

And nerd angel or so called “friend” being the big brother of Sam, that’s what Dean is all about, like it or not.
            So no forgivness for Castiel, or anybody else who intentionally hurts Deans brother.

• ingrid says:

What about all the crap Sam did to Dean and got forgiven for it? I’d say Cas did more for Dean and Sam than Sam, Bobby and anyone else, so I say Cas come back, Bobby can come back and then we can have Team Free Will with Dean and Cas and Bobby with his favorite Winchester Sam. It works for me.

Dean should forgive Cas, but Gamble hates both Dean and Cas and I’m sure she will take great pleasure in destroying their friendship so that poor woobie Sam, the great sufferer show is such a victim can be coddled like the infantile he is.

I don’t really have any faith in Gamble. She has proven to be biased and has treated Dean like crap, so I’m not really excited about anything she says, since it’s all about Sam, Sam and more Sam and Dean who?

• JA says:

What show have you been watching? Seriously? “Cas did more for Dean” – that is one of the funniest things I’ve read in awhile.

• Mary says:

Another delusional Destiel fan…

• smellynellie says:

If Cas put Dean in a coma, would you forgive him?

• Clara says:

If Cas pulled my brother out of a cage in hell he was sharing with 2 arch angels, I would be ok with him making my brother losing his mind. Its still a fixable.

• Angie says:

@Clara

Cas just brought Sam’s body back, he was all for leaving Sam’s soul as a stringtoy for Luci and Mike.
            And IMO the least Cas can do when he comes back is apologize to Sam, since they are also supposed to be some kind of friends, or I won’t consider Cas one of the good guys anymore.

• celk says:

What the hell series are some of you people watching?

Where does it say Castiel was aware of the fact Sam was without a soul when he brought him back? If anything, The Man Who Would be King points to the opposite!

Oh, that’s right: Cas-centric episode. Apparently, Cas-bashers fast forward through those…

• Angie says:

@celk
            I’m sorry but did you watch all episodes of season 6?
            Cas actually states that he fell something off about Sam when he brought his body back, but he choose to ignore it and all of Sam’s calls for a year. And even if we forget that, how about all those conversations between Cas and Dean, where Cas argued so vehemently that Sam’s soul should be left in the Pit.
            So it would be really kind if you didn’t accuse me of being a basher just for repeating what Cas said in more that one episode – which is that Sam’s soul should be left with Luci and Mike.

• celk says:

@Angie
            Feeling something is “off” is not quite the same as knowing Sam was going around souless. To actually know what was “off”, Cas had to stick his hand in to Sam’s chest: and only THEN did the conversations with Dean about leaving Sam’s soul in Hell started.

All the characters were at fault at some point. That’s what makes the story the least bit interesting, btw. But there seems to be a tendency to needlessly demonize (eh) the angel among some fans, for some reason.

• wendy says:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say Sera has treated Dean like crap, but the interview is telling in another way. This week we have a story that should be major and gamechanging, yet, Sera said hardly anything about it. What does that tell all you folks that think Dean is favored? It tells me quite the opposite.
          I’m getting a little mad at myself now for getting into this fan war fray, honestly, it’s getting a little silly. Let’s just all enjoy the show and stop all this hate based on characters who are not real, and actors we will never meet. Why don’t we all agree to hate the writers instead! LOL Going back to reality now. Bye

• Clare says:

It never ceases to amaze me how appalling your spelling and grammar is every time you show up at these articles to troll Castiel.

• celk says:

It’s been what? 7 seasons already? It’s really about time some fans learned they are watching a show with soldiers (angels) and killers (hunters). Not some mushy soup opera where Meany has to say he’s sowy to poor Sweetypoo, or is a big, big meany and everybody will be rewy, rewy mad.

But gotta love these Castiel downers: if they were in show-verse, they would clearly take their chances with good ol’ Raphael. Good luck with that! (hehehe)

• ladydeath says:

Not a mushy soap opera, right. I certainly don’t care about Meany’s hurt feelings and how he needs to be reunited with his BFF because Dean misses his teddy bear Cassypoo, he’s keeping the dirty raincoat and writing ‘Mrs Castiel’ in his pink hunter’s journal. Poor Deano boy, nobody understands how low his self-esteem is. Deano needs a hug or he’ll make that emo woobie face again. Nobody appreciates him, sob sob.

• celk says:

Where did i say i cared about Meany’s hurt feelings? Bring on the morally dubious deeds, that’s what i say.

But resorting to kill off the morally dubious Meany simply because he started to step on the main character’s toes? That’s just… boring. And sort of infantile.

Sorry to break it to you, but not everything is about Destiel. Now have a nice time sucking up to Raphael! Hope the smiting doesn’t hurt!! :D

• Lain says:

Oh, Elle… still a virgin, ain’t you?

• Cathy says:

Agree. I was happy to see Castiel go and I’m not interested in seeing him again. No offense to Misha here. He’s a great actor. I just never dug the angel-angle.

My first response to the clown deal was … No way! They’re not going to do that to him! Poor Sam! He’s got enough on his plate right now without having to deal with frigging clowns too.

Then again, I’m kinda surprised he’s still afraid of clowns after having been stuck in Hell with Lucifer for 1½ years. Nothing can be scary after that, I’d say.

Apparently it is, though. Go figure. I’m looking forward to how they handle that.

And I have every faith in the writers. Sera is doing a great job.

9. Kay says:

Thanks for the interview. So Jim Beaver will be back in some form or the other. Misha back but not exactly in the form we’ve seen him before. Well, we’ve seen Misha in many different forms already. Does that mean he’ll be back as something different from human, angel, god, leviathan? Ok…ay.

I hope the writers write the new characters well. They need to expand the universe after killing almost everyone off.

Question: why doesn’t Bob Singer give interviews from time to time? I’d love to read his views as well, since he’s Co-Boss too.

10. Jess says:

First Castiel, now Bobby?? What on earth is going on? that woman is making absolutely no sense!

I am although looking forward to the next episode, so I will continue to watch!

11. Tonya says:

I’m going to miss Bobby as much as anyone, but I’m not going to blast Sera for killing off a character (that we can all sense isn’t really gone anyway, ditto with Cas). Bobby can only be fake killed so many times! Tv would be boring as hell if they didn’t anger or upset us by making big moves like this. If it upsets you that much, stop watching!

• Dominique says:

So what you’re saying is that it’s okay if tv shows do something like this from time to time, that tv would be boring if they didn’t do something to UPSET us, but now that we’re UPSET, you say we should stop watching? So it’s good to be upset because otherwise, it’d be boring, but we should also stop watching if we’re upset. Hmm.. No offends, but you’re really contradicting yourself here.

• Jodi says:

They tell stories to make you feel. They are doing a good job. You are upset because they have created characters you love. Again, good job.

If it is too upsetting, you have the choice to stop watching if you don’t like the direction they are going. I’ve made that choice with shows before. But to personally blast people for creating such compelling stories that evoke such emotional responses is a bit ridiculous.

• jane says:

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m upset because they created characters I love, killed them off and then use them to string me along for ratings. It’s not a good job. Kill them if you’re going to kill them but to keep dangling them in front of people isn’t entertaining. It’s annoying, frustrating and just a tad depressing.

• Maria says:

No they aren’t doing a good job. Look at the ratings and look at the fact that several critics have slammed all but one or two of this season’s episodes. I don’t see fans being *compelled* to stick around.

• Mary says:

Considering the show is on CW, this is its 7th season and it airs on Fridays, I’d say the ratings are pretty damn good!

• muse says:

If what you feel is bored and frustrated, then yes, I think it is time to stop watching. But somehow, I don’t think that is the reaction that most writers go for. Maybe Ms. Gamble is unique in that sense since she seems to revel in destroying great characters and alienating fans.

• Carm says:

No it is not good to be upset. At the end of the day Supernatural is a TV show, a fictional show. I love Supernatural. If I stop loving it, I will stop watching it. And life will go on.

12. TFD says:

I think they’re totally killing the show now.
    A large chunk of s6 was lame, and series 7 for me is just plain garbage.
    I don’t think there’s much mileage left before the boys decide they want to leave.

13. Nathy says:

Honestly, Sera’s reputation is close to none when it comes to bring back “great actors that we love!” (in her words). I think it was sad the way that Misha left at the beginning if the season and now, Jim. And the season isn’t cohesive; there’s nothing to do with “back to the roots” and it’s making me facepalm. However, I still have faith.

14. anne ryan says:

oh greta just when i thought we were finally rid of bobby she goes and says that jeez for once i would like to watch a show thats run by a showrunner who has some BALLS >(

15. Christina says:

I want Cas and Bobby back! I want Sera to stop messing around. Not everyone who helps the boys should be killed off! Come on: John, Ash, Pamela, Rufus, Ellen, Jo, loved them all, but Castiel and Bobby dying is too much!

16. Kate says:

OH GOD
    SHE’S TRYING TO KILL THE ENTIRE FANDOM
    SERA GAMBLE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YOU TORTURED OUR BOYS ENOUGH
    HALF OF US WANT A SEASON 8
    YOU PROMISED US A SEASON 8 DAMN IT
    BRING BACK CASTIEL
    BOBBY
    THE IMPALA
    THE AMULET
    AND MAYBE SOME MORE OF “OLD DEAN”
    and PLEASE we’ve been THROUGH season 1-3 of a new monster every week.
    but the angels got brought in and that changed EVERYTHING
    WE CAN’T REALLY GO BACK TO THAT!
    YOU’RE BREAKING MY HEART WOMAN
    BREAKING
    MY
    HEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. JULY says:

I liked the news xD. Season 7 is much better than season 6 and Dean looks fantastic in episode 7.12. :*

18. joe says:

not that i still don’t love SPN, but seasons 1-5 were absolutely superb, 6 and 7 so far are somewhat mediocre, really wish kripke would have kept on going or ended it with 5… if they don’t come up big in the final episodes, it could really damage the shows reputation.

kripke resigning as head show runner = biggest mistake ever

• muse says:

The show’s reputation is already in the trash thanks to the rate with which they kept killing off fan favorites these past two years and for no compelling reason that I have seen so far other than so that the writers can point and laugh as the fandom melts down each time. Of course, each time more and more fans dump the show so I guess the last laugh is on them.

• joe says:

its not even just the characters, don’t get me wrong its a huge part, but its the mediocre plot and the creativeness off each episode, just isn’t as enjoyable as season 1-5, who knew 1 guy could make such a difference…

kripke always spoke of SPN as his baby and his dream come true…. how could he let sara ruin it!!!?!?

19. Laura Partin says:

We want bobby and cas fixed please

20. Nikki says:

I have to say, I had a lot of hope when Sera took over as showrunner even though many were against the idea. Unfortunately, that hope is waning. I think she’s a good writer, but as a showrunner…*sigh* At least when Kripke killed someone off there was generally a reason. It was going somewhere. I have a bad feeling (and I could be wrong) that this isn’t going anywhere other than being meant to tear at the heartstrings and be dramatic. If Bobby is dead, I want it to be for an earthshattering, mouth-dropping, blow my mind reason that we find out later that propels the show forward. I don’t want to see or know that Bobby is a “ghost”. If staying true to canon and the hunter’s way, Sam and Dean would have burned Bobby’s bones anyway. Hell, if they didn’t Bobby would have come back from the dead to kick their idgit asses anyway!

I don’t know. I still love my show. I even love Sera because I know SHE loves the show. But I’m just left all too often feeling unsatisfied anymore. There are too many holes, no cohesiveness to the storyline and it makes me sad. This was my greatest fear of the show being continued after Season 5 and without Kripke. I know that no one can be him but I’m afraid even as talented as she can be, Sea bit off more than she could chew picking this show up where she did. I continue to have faith that she’ll pull it out, but I get more concerned with every episode.

• Nikki says:

Oh – and I also find it ludicrous that the Impala sits and collects dust on set somewhere. There was no point to taking it off screen. Maybe Kripke could have sold it for a few episodes in order to help us feel Dean’s pain and loss, etc. but that’s not working here.

21. worrynet says:

You got the point. She destroied profound bond of Supernatural. She still doesn’t know what she did, and still thinks that she is faulsely accused. What the..

What is Supernatural world? Looking simply but truely minded world. Sam and Dean trust each other and they save people because they TRUST people’s virtue!!! But recently what they show? “I can’t trust blah blah because of Cas?” How dare? Is this jerk really Dean? Gamble’s worst mistake is destroying Sam and Dean’s personality!!! She made Winchesters to sociopath. Her french mistake is ‘removing’ Cas Bobby and Impala. I know she is a good writer, but I do say that she is a really bad showrunner. The showrunnerS are killing off good characters can’t run the show going on. The ‘series’ means living, not remove-undo thing. That’s terrible. I don’t know I call a person who not politician as unforgiven. :(

22. Theresa says:

I bet Cas comes back in Bobby’s body somehow?? That would be bringing back Cas but not in the way we’ve seen before. Or he comes back as his vessel(“God” decided to save him?) And I personally love the show exactly as is. There were eps that Kripke did that I actually thought were just so-so. And if some of you were to be VERY honest, I bet the biggest reason you/others “love” the show is solely due to Jensen & Jared. And this is coming from someone who thinks Jensen should have been nominated for an Emmy the last two seasons, so just sayin’.

23. Alisa wrate says:

Say more about castiel god dammit! I have looked and waited for ages to see any new news on castles reapearancr and there is nothing and sera clearly wants it to be a top secret cause they all say the same quote “he will come back differant” I really hope he doesn’t though, I just want the old cas! And for him to make amends with Dean cause they both clearly need a good hugging session:) but I do love the storyline of bobby being a ghost! Loving it! I just want his back also, SPN is just not the same without these wonderful characters!:o

• Jennifer says:

Don’t feel bad- Dean only got what? 2 sentences? And he’s a co- lead. Unless you’re Sam, Sera has no interest in talking about your character.

• Sally says:

Well, at least Dean doesn’t get to have just 2 sentences of dialogue in an actual episode, you know like Sam sometimes does.
        Sera talks a lot, but she rarely delivers what she promises, and as actions speak lauder than words, she most certintly is NOT a Sam girl. She’s a anti-everyone girl.

24. Zee says:

I want Castiel back permanently. And by Castiel I mean CASTIEL, not just Misha playing some other character for a few episodes before he gets killed again. Sigh. The life of a Castiel fan is a hard one.

25. Laura says:

I wish Sera would just shut up and go away. She has ruined a show I once loved.

26. Melanie says:

I was just telling my husband the other day that the show was going in a direction that did not make sense. At least when Kripke was behind the show, it made sense, but since Gamble has taken over you do not know where the show is going. It almost seems as if they are heading towards a final season. They have killed off everyone they considered family, so what is left???????????????

27. rz says:

Mega bummed about where this show is heading. Other than the brothers, Castiel was my favorite and Bobby played an amazing part of the crew. It sucks to see them go but I’d rather have them dead for good rather than coming back as something else. :/

28. Laurie says:

All I can think of is Dean’s nightmare must be the unicorns who turn on him for his infamous non-virginity. :) I’d kill to see Jensen pull that scene off. I can hope can’t I?

29. Barbara says:

I sure hope you will be bringing Misha Collins back because there is no other Castiel.

30. Kate says:

Thanks for this interview! It certainly all sounds intriguing and has got me jazzed for the back end of the season! Not that I wasn’t anyway, but now I really am. I always look forward to how they bring all the pieces together. Still the best show out. I’m on this ride until the end!

31. Connie says:

I am going to stick with Supernatural until the end. But i truly believe Sera is going to get this show cancelled soon. First she pisses away Castiel fans by getting rid of him. But the killer is killing Bobby off. I could see him appearing as dead. But not really killing him off. We dont want ghost Bobby. We want Bobby. Bobby has been there for Sam and Dean. This is doing too much. I dont want this show to go bye bye. I would rather get Sera to go bye bye and bring Bobby back from the dead.

• ingrid says:

Actually, first she pissed off all the Dean fans by giving Dean’s stories to Sam, then trying to change Sam into Dean, the sidelining Dean to the point of making Jensen a guest star in his own show.

Then she pissed off the Cas fans by kissing up to the Sam fans, again, and getting rid of Cas because Cas was a threat to the Dean is all about Sam bond that she and the Sam fans love so much.

Then she pissed off the Bobby fans because, well, she has nobody else to kill.

Then she pissed the Sam fans off with the Becky debacle, but she is still trying to make it up to them by giving them the Sam in hell forever and ever story.

But in the end, she just pissed off some great opportunities because she can’t seem to tell any story that doesn’t involve her favorite character Sam.

32. Kate says:

Each other.

33. cyn says:

It’s bad enough we lost Singer,but WHERE’S Misha???? Come on alredy!!oh &bring him back as CASS…Uhm NOW PLEASE!!!

34. mike says:

I have seen every episode and been a devoted fan but killing off Bobby is a deal breaker for me. If Bobby is not brought back alive soon, I’m done with the show.

35. Melanie says:

Thanks for the info! I’ve been loving S7 so far and this sounds good too. Really looking forward to more fallout from Sam’s cracked psyche.

36. Ashley says:

SPOILER ALERT MUCH?

37. Sarah says:

Dear Ms. Gamble,
    Give Dean his Best Hunter on the Planet badge back. Bring Cas back with his Profound Bond with Dean still intact; and then do whatever the hell you want with Sam-and the fandom will be happy and the ratings might increase. And if you really want to see them jump, bring back TFW(okay, including Bobby-in whatever form) with Dean, the ultimate hunter of all things evil and the best moral compass on the show, heading it up. No promises here, at this point-but the ratings might possibly increase-and let’s face it, if they get any worse, it’s going to be curtains for this show after S8…if they get a S8…

38. muse says:

You know a show is creatively bankrupt when every storyline is just a recycling of a previous storyline that was done better (Sam’s PTSD, Dean’s revenge, Sam’s revenge, Dean’s PTSD) and the only “shocking” twist they can come up with is to kill off yet more characters. Realizing they screwed up and bringing them back in some bastardized form, is not going make anything better. It’s just going to piss people off more because even a five year old could have figured out that when you kill off every single character, there is nothing exciting or shocking about it because it is so predictable and lazy. Add to that, the constant “role reversals” ie giving Sam all of Dean’s good qualities and giving Dean all of Sam’s bad ones and what you’re left with is a dog’s breakfast of plotholes, bad characterization and melodramatic emo that has no real resonance because it’s so overdone!

• smellynellie says:

Sam has plenty of good qualities of his own. Dean has his own flaws. Don’t blame his poor qualities on Sam.

• wendy says:

Oh Good Lord, Dean fans hate S

• wendy says:

Ok, let me try that again.
          What the heck is this, Dean fans hating Sam, Sam fans hating Dean. WTF? Is there a group of fans who actually love them both, as I do? And why the heck do you have to hate one character in order to favor the other? I guess it’s no secret that Dean’s my # 1,and I still think his storylines have, overall, paled in comparison to some of what I think has been better material given to the character of Sam, but that being said, I still Love Sam, and my favorite plotlines are the ones featuring both brothers. What affects one brother always affects the other.
          In my opinion you have two talented actors and two very, very goodlooking boys. And a show with alot of potential if the writing improves. I don’t understand the need to defend your favorite character by putting down the other.
          And ALL the characters, Sam, Dean, Cas etc, are very flawed humans with complex personalities. I.E. they’ve all f–cked up from time to time.F

39. lolz says:

No point thinking too hard about this show anymore or even watching it really because it is nonsensical shyte now. But I gotta say Dean in those ’40s threads is enough to bring me back for at least one episode.

40. Tariq Younis says:

Get this woman off Supernatural ASAP!! She’s talking rubbish and talking away everything that made Supernatural likeable only to replace them with things like Frank??
    Next thing you know she’ll probably kill Sam and Dean off too!!
    Stupid woman!!

41. Carrie says:

I knew Bobby couldn’t be gone for good. I can’t imagine the show w/o Jim Beaver. I’m glad they’re bringing Misha Collins back, but I don’t think Cas is as important to the show as Bobby is. The brothers only knew Cas for a couple of years, while they grew up thinking of Bobby as an uncle. I’m also glad to hear Mark Pellegrino is returning. More Lucifer, Death and Crowley, please.

42. kayla says:

That’s part if the show people dying..the shows not about cas or bobby..its about the boys and that’s why I watch. Bobby and cas weren’t here when the show started and now its back to that..I think they need to find a way to kill the leviathons…can’t wait to see Sam getting best up by clowns. :)

43. Julia says:

Uch please no more of the Sam and Lucifer thing, we have had this played to death, and what’s with Cas coming back in some form, we want him back in his own form. Supernatural has gone truly down the pan for me with this season, Sorry Sara but your writing is atrocious, you are taking away everything that WAS Supernatural, you kill off Bobby for him to be a frikken ghost…..why? After I read your spoiers above I think I may just stop watching, you are ruining what was a brilliant show and with writing like yours I think you may just get the show cancelled.

44. Amy says:

We want Cass back as Misha collins only..!! And yup..plzz make Ben as Dean’s kid !!!

45. AshleyN. says:

We don’t always see things from Sam’s POV??? How about we NEVER see things from his POV. There’s subtle and then there’s nonexistent. I enjoy both of the brothers, which is why I want to see some of Sam’s POV as well as Dean’s.

Gamble’s writing and storytelling “talent” clearly lies in the realm of soap operas and Twilight knock-offs. She doesn’t belong anywhere near Supernatural. I know that all shows end at some point, but it’s a shame that a show with such great characters and such a supportive fanbase is going to meet its demise as the result of someone who simply can’t write for anyone other than teenage girls.

46. Laura says:

I’m sorry, Sera, but not giving us the point of view of Sam FOR NEARLY AN ENTIRE SEASON, is the worst Sam’s been treated the entire series. I thought season 4 was the most awful, racist anti-Sam crap I’d ever be forced to get through, but nope. This season is. We NEVER get Sam’s point of view or feelings on anything and it’s making me HATE Dean just for existing now. I don’t want to hate Dean, but it’s happening, baby, it’s really happening. I want to punch his face in every time he gets a massive emo close up while we get absolutely nothing for Sam. Give me Sam’s point of view or stop giving me Dean’s. I’d rather have no one’s point of view if that’s how your going to play it.

And only Dean and Frank will have a relationship, oh what a big surprise that is. Since Sam can’t talk to anyone else, can’t talk to Dean, and can’t talk to himself, it seems. Give Sam someone to talk to every episode, give him at least a hallucination who cares about him, because nobody else on SPN does.

• Clare says:

Hai thar, Sammycat…

• smellynellie says:

Go back to THAB where I’m sure everyone there just loves Sam and never bashes him. You should be at home there, Clare.

• Jacked says:

C’mon, Sammycat. You ESG’s got your cake, and now you want to eat it, too. Learn something from Whedon verse. Season six of Buffy sucked, because after Buffy died saving the world, we got a whole season of crap dealing with Buffy’s boo-hoo mental instability. They learned from that, and when Spike came back on Angel after saving the world on Buffy, he realized it would cheapen the sacrifice to go back and try to get back with Buffy after he went out with such a bang. You got your big Sam saves the world story. Now you all want him boo-hooing that OMG, saving the world hurt me, and Dean having no other priority except wiping away his tears sheltering him from the big bad world. You know what, Sam knew going in that hell would suck, and he decided saving the world was enough for him, so it should be enough for you. Unfortunately, Dean got no such bang. He suffered in Hell just to come back and be betrayed by the person he died for. There was no saving the world for him. There’s nothing to cheapen for him at this point that wasn’t already cheapened by most of Season 5. So, if you want to begrudge him even having feelings, more power to you, but we all know you will never be happy until Dean is following Sam around polishing his light saber and wiping his nose. How about if Sam kills Dean? Then he can feel as bad as he wants, and you can have that on your screen every week without any one else to block the view.

• smellynellie says:

Sam went to hell and came back betrayed by Castiel. We don’t begrudge Dean his feelings but Sam is entitled his feelings too.

• celk says:

“Sam went to hell and came back thanks to Castiel.”

There. Fixed that for you.

• Jess says:

Well, actually you’re both wrong.
            Sam went to hell, Cas brought his body back a.k.a. SoulessSam or RoboSam (and kinda didn’t own up to it), and Dean with the help of Death brought Sam back (put him back together) in 6×11.

• celk says:

Fair enough. Castiel did a crappy job at trying to bring Sam back. But he did try. How does that jump in to “betraying” him? Who knows.

• Jess says:

@celk
            I’m not an expert not am I smellynellie, but breaking the wall in Sam’s head just to distract Dean could be labeled as betrayal if Cas considers Sam a friend.
            I really hope when he returns he apologizes to Sam (like he did to Dean), and helps defeat the Levis so that they can move past all that and be TFW again.

• celk says:

War is war, but sure: i can see how that can be constructed as betrayal of trust between friends. But, yet again, what about what actually happens in the series? When SAM called out to Castiel at least twice, it seemed pretty obvious he forgave the angel. Even concerning Dean, which could have a beef about the all thing, i distinctly remember Castiel saying he was s-o-r-r-y, and promising to fix things up.

What’s the reason behind some fans getting over-invested in an aspect the Sam character seems to be over with? Seems like straw-grasping to me.

• OMG says:

Oh yeah, thanks to Castiel who did it for his OWN selfish reason. He didn’t do it out of the kindness of his own heart, he did it for himself! Did all of you Castiel fans forget this? Sure he brought Sam back, but not for Sam or Dean’s benefit. If he didn’t need all the souls, bodies, or even grandpa back playing nice with Crowley, Sam would still be down there.

• Jess says:

@celk
            Do you have reading comprehention problems or did you just skim my post? I know Cas apologized to Dean, which I also wrote, but I think Sam deserves an apology also (It’s actally the whole problem, if he hadn’t apologized to either it wouldn’t be so jarring). It doesn’t matter if Sam already forgave Cas, an apology is the decent thing and really the least Cas can do after betraying his friend (since he could just as easily teleported them to Alaska, an equal distraction without lasting mental consecuences).
            I really don’t understand what your problem is with a simple apology, it’s not like anyone is asking for Cas to jumb into Pulgatory to redeem himself?

• celk says:

@OMG
            The series gave me the distinct impression Castiel brought Sam back BEFORE ever talking to Crowley, but yeah… sure. As for siding with Crowley, what Castiel’s selfish reasons are those? Sparing Dean from the hunter’s life? Stopping the Apocalypse? again, ok… sure.

@Jess
            I have reading comprehention problems, that must be it: NOW we’re having a level-headed discussion. Next, the fan blaming Castiel for Sam not being in the room when he apologized must be coming in any second now… Right after the fan who claims Castiel won’t be able to redeem himself for stopping the Apocalypse, even if he sacrifices himself to replace Adam in Hell’s cage.

• smellynellie says:

Castiel broke Sam’s wall. Sam could have died but did Cas care? No!

• celk says:

The possibility of Sam going bananas versus the entire humanity going down the tubes via brand-new revamped Apocalypse? Hum… choices, choices.

• smellynellie says:

Next time, Castiel, sacrifice yourself.

• celk says:

@smellynellie
            Castiel already did that… At least twice.

This interview’s about the show “Supernatural”, right? Considering some retorts, I’m starting to question that.

• wendy says:

For real? Sam got a juicy story about banging a demon and infecting himself with demon bllod, betraying his brother, letting lucifer free, etc, and you begrudge D

• wendy says:

God I hate this website!
        Like I was trying to say, Sam got the better of last seasons stories, but you begrudge Dean having anything to the point of hating him?
        I think all you poeple who only want Dean onscreen or S

• wendy says:

This website does’nt work for crap!
          Third time, again, I think all you Dean fans and Sam fans who are only happy when your guy gets all the screentime should just stop watching the show, it’ll be over by next year, and wait to see the guys in their next projects where it’s only one of them. SN is an ENSEMBLE SHOW. Or at least, a two lead show. And if Jensen seems to be getting more screentime lately, which I don’t think he is, big freakin deal, they still only seem to write garbage for him, they give him nothing to show his acting chops, and yes, he and Jared or both talented actors who deserve better material. If you hate what a character is doing, then take issue with the writers, not the actors or characters.If you think Dean is all Emo, well what’s he supposed to do? He can only work with what the writers give him, which, again I

• WENDY says:

No Laura, Dean, who sold his soul, died, and went to hell for Sam in an effort to save, him, and who has pretty much sacrificed any chance of his own happiness to look after him, doesn’t care about him. Yeah, ok, if you say so.

47. Kate says:

I HATE Sera! She has no respect for the history and mythology of the show or for the actors who’ve made it so great unless they are named Jared. I realize she has her vision for SPN but I think she needs to realize that the fans do NOT share it or even like it! Bring back Misha and Jim!!!

48. Lea says:

Great…more storylines for Sam and nothing really for Dean, Cas and Bobby. So, what else is new? When is someone going to get smart and fire this woman?

• smellynellie says:

Nothing new for Cas and Bobby because they’re dead. Get it? And Dean gets to time travel and be all revengey and awesome. I bet he kills Dick while Sam presses his hand in the background.

• WENDY says:

No, I think when the time comes to finally defeat the Levis, it will be a Winchester united front, and I

• WE says:

And I wouldn’t have it any other way. Sorry people for all these chopped up posts, I must be hitting something on the keyboard without realizing it.

49. Carli McCormick says:

Sam inadvertently caused the apocalypse, but Dean forgave him. Honestly, Castirl has saved those boys SO many times at his own expense. He was trying to save the boys again… he was trying not to bring them back into another battle. Though it was not well executed, it was sincere and with best intentions.

50. Alex says:

In a show like supernatural death is a part of the show. It follows the boys around like the black plague. It is however getting a bit ridiculous. I mean how many of the boys friends and family do they have to kill off before their satisfied? I understand making the audience feel like no one’s safe. Bc it keeps up suspence. If u know everyones gunna live happily ever after, then whats the point of the show? But this is too much. There arent even any deaths left for us to fear. As hunters, dean and sam need sllies. Theres no way in hell they can fight the leviathon alone. So now their ally is some random conspiracy theorist? Wtf sera? How many more deaths can two people possibly witness before they give up? Before theyve had enough? This story line is utter rubbish. I know a lot of times shows end bc of stuff like this. Castiels fanbase is almost as big as the boys. Thats how shows get cancelled. I believe in taking risks, and many times the risks taken by the writers of supernatural have made it better. But this os just sad. I hate so many aspects of this season. And i hate sams hallucinations. I never liked mark as lucifer. I thinj sam was a far better lucifer. With that in mind, it would have been a lot more powerful for sam if he was seeing himself as lucifer. Kinda like dean as a demon in dream a little dream of me. That woulve been a lot harder for sam and make a lot more sense. Bc thats what he feared and lucifersam trying to convince sam that hes still wearing his meat would have been a much more interesting twist.