Fringe Bosses Say this Season's Finale Can Work As Series Finale, But Hint at New Home for Saga

Get More: Exclusive, Finales, News

Fringe‘s uncertain future was a hot topic Sunday at the Television Critics Association press tour, with both the president of Fox and executive producer J.J. Abrams weighing in on what is and what might need to be.

But when TVLine spoke with EPs Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman earlier this week — after screening the show’s winter premiere (airing Friday, Jan. 13) — they shared their exit plan (or absence of one) should this turn out to be the final season.

Fringe Winter Premiere Video: ‘Not Everything Is As It Seems’

“The answer to that question is the same every year,” Pinkner started when asked if and when they’d need a heads up to wrap things up. “Worst case scenario, if this were the last aired season of Fringe — and as we’ve said before, there are other outlets where we could continue our stories, be they graphic novels or webisodes — we know what the end of this season is going to be, and it can function as a series finale.”

Pinkner said that last season’s capper likewise could have served as an apropos out for the sci-fi saga. “Had Peter, the lynchpin for the reason the show existed, been the one to sacrifice himself heroically to save the two universes and the woman he loved, it would have been a very authentic end.”

Fringe Winter Premiere Sneak Peek: He’s Baaack!

Fox president Kevin Reilly, when fielding questions about Fringe‘s fate, said the show has been a “point of pride” for him, as boss of a network that famously has let down genre-TV fans. Alas, Fringe is “an expensive show” that is not yielding a profit, he noted, “and we’re not in the business of losing money.”

Reilly said that conversations with Fringe‘s creative team and production studios have yet to take place. But Abrams, for one, says he’s “crossing [his] fingers” that the story of Peter, Olivia, Walter et al “gets to continue — and if not on Fox, maybe somewhere else.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (130)

• Looking for budget cuts to maybe work on FX?

Comment by ck – January 8, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if only FX is a dumping ground for rejected Fox shows, but it is a completely different brand. FX is dark and edgy, and doesn’t do hardcore sci-fi. plus, the show is produced by Warner Bros., Fox has less incentive in its survival. in fact, this season was already brought about on a reduced budget than past seasons.

Comment by Ed – January 8, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’d rather have it bow out gracefully now. Slashing the budget at this stage likely means cutting cast members, and I don’t want to see the story limp along without Broyles or Astrid.

Comment by MockingbirdGirl – January 9, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Of all the stupid show’s Fox has, I can’t believe they’re cancelling Fringe after this season. I have been watching since the beginning, and look forward to each episode. I hope another station will pick it up and I am more apt to buy from their sponsers than from Fox. Maybe the SciFi channel will do it.

Comment by Sandy – August 24, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FRINGE is quality tv; however FOX dropped the ball when the show was moved to Friday night. I was a big fan of THE X-FILES; when it was going good, it was moved around also.
      As much as I liked THE X-FILES, FRINGE is far superior; if it gets dumped by FOX, I’d love to see it on FX with JUSTIFIED or TNT with SOUTHLAND.
      Let’s face it, it’s more and more difficult for a quality show to make it on network tv. Driven by the profit motive and greed, the networks seem content on running intelligence insulting reality type shows.
      Can you imagine MASH or ALL IN THE FAMILY making these days??
      Oh well!!

Comment by Bob – January 9, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Being on friday is the only thing keeping this show going. Nothing gets ratings on friday so very little is expected of it. The problem is most people are too stupid to understand Fringe so nothing will save it.

Comment by Joe – January 9, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually, it was the move to Thursdays opposite GREY’S ANATOMY, CSI, and THE OFFICE that hurt it. The show was doing just fine on Tuesday nights averaging around 10 million viewers a week in season one.

Comment by emteem – January 9, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree about Tues night.. I am 63 and I had family and friends of all ages starting to watch. Then it finally got moved to Friday and a couple of episodes then stop . Every since it first started it keeps getting moved around or there is a wait.Best show on TV truly show on TV in a long time. The cast is Excellent.

Comment by t.cooper – January 13, 2012 10:54 PM PDT
      • I don’t think moving it off Fridays will save it. I love it to pieces and would follow it anywhere, but it was doomed as soon as it moved from Tuesday to 9pm on Thursdays. Fringe ratings were rock solid Season 1, which makes sense why Fox tried to move a solid performer against CSI and Grey’s Anatomy to make room for a Glee/comedy night. But it wasn’t established enough to hold on in that timeslot, and it’s just one of those shows that’s impossible to build significant viewership for after you’ve lost it. Too bad they couldn’t just swap Fringe and Bones on Thursday, I’m assuming the content of Fringe prevents scheduling it before 9pm.

Comment by Emily – January 9, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. You can’t move a show to the Friday Night Death Slot and then say “we’re not in the business of losing money.” Can’t believe Fox didn’t learn their lesson after Firefly.

Comment by Chelsea – January 13, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bob, I completely agree with your remark here. It’s truly sad to see a show that is absolutely wonderful be taken down by yet another greedy business. However, it must be kept in perspective, that in order to run these shows, they must appeal to a certain demographic and that demographic must be enough to support the running costs of the show itself. It’s sad to see something like Fringe go, but everything in time will run its course.

Comment by Joshua – April 28, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ya know, it would instantly do better at FX.. because FX wouldn’t put it on the graveyard of Friday nights.. up against several other genre shows… Just crazy scheduling. The show did pretty well on Tuesdays and Thursdays… And was a nice alternative to the all the formulaic procedurals and kitschy comedies on the other networks.
      Still my favorite show.. when its on. It ran maybe 7-8 episodes last Fall?

Comment by Jack R – January 9, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope they give the series a decent final.

Comment by anto33 – January 9, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I absolutely love Fringe! and have followed it from Tues. to Fri. night but let’ face it Tues. was a much better night than Fridays ever could be! Move it back! Then the ratings and profits will go up! Very simple.

Comment by 4thjet – January 10, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very glad to hear the producers wish the story to go on in some other format, if need be.

I wish Fringe didn’t ever have to end, though not even wildly mainstream TV shows last forever…

Comment by Donna – January 8, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My husband & I have watched Fringe every Friday night without ever missing an episode. Why is it that the shows that are so interesting are always the ones to be taken off the air. Do we need to buy more of the advertisers’ products in order to keep it going? How do we keep this series going on at least for another season so we can see what happens to everyone? Where do we send letters to keep it on?? Why..where…how… this seems like the beginning of another great sci-fi show

Comment by lorry – January 8, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It is impossible to fall out of love. Love is such a powerful emotion, that once it envelops you it does not depart. True love is eternal. If you think that you were once in love, but fell out of it, then it wasn’t love you were in. There are no ‘exit’ signs in love, there is only an ‘on’ ramp. (( b_l_a_c_k_w_h_i_t_e_p_l_a_n_e_t. c_0_m )) Lots of my friends found their lovers through the se’rvice. You may have a try… ;)I absolutely love Fringe (although I’m one of those that feels kind of put off by the way the characters are being portrayed this season), and would definitely be sad if it ends.

Comment by rita – January 9, 2012 02:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It worries me that he thinks last season would have worked as a series finale….It would not have. THere were sooo many things left in the air.

Comment by Josh – January 8, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • An alternate ending to the season finale WAS written and I believe it was also filmed.

Comment by Donna – January 8, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would you prefer that a final episode ties everything up with a neat little bow? I sure wouldn’t!

Comment by TV Gord – January 8, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I much prefer frustrating, open-ended cliffhangers to thematic closure.

Give me a break.

Comment by J – January 8, 2012 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think when viewers spend 3 years of their lives following major plotlines, those should be resolved. The minor stuff can be left hanging – and it’s good to to end the story with hints of some new plots.

Comment by Eurydice – January 9, 2012 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that more successful endings to any story, whatever the medium is, are ones that leave some things for the viewer/reader to imagine. There’s certainly a difference between a cliffhanger and an ending that doesn’t answer everything, but I do think that season 3′s end could have been a satisfactory ending (although I will not be satisfied with losing Fringe, whenever it happens).

Comment by Brooke – January 8, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *Cough* Las Vegas? *Cough*

Comment by Anna – January 9, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love Fringe (although I’m one of those that feels kind of put off by the way the characters are being portrayed this season), and would definitely be sad if it ends.

How many seasons did the producers originally have in mind? 5? I would hope we can get one more season to end things the way they wanted. I don’t want it to over-extend its welcome like some other shows (even X-Files).

That being said, can we bring it down to maybe 13 episodes per season to save some money? I’m sure the same story can (mostly) be told in that amount of time. And more than likely it could be shown back to back instead of these big gaps in-between episodes.

Maybe put it on during the summer on Fox, on a non-Friday night? Lord knows the only other reason Fox gets turned on from May-September is for So You Think You Can Dance for the wife.

13 episodes are working for a lot of other shows, I think it could work with Fringe and help save it.

Comment by Jerry – January 8, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “continue somewhere else”
    that never works out, does it?
    Sigh.

Comment by dessy – January 8, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sadly, no. You’re right. Only the diehards would follow any TV show to other media, history has shown. I wish it weren’t true, but that’s life.

Comment by TV Gord – January 8, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Buffy made it 2 years & i think that’s about as bright as it gets.

Comment by dee123 – January 8, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It depends on if fans are willing to adapt to new formats. Buffy is still running, in continuity, as is Angel, in comic form, with Joss Whedon and many of the show’s writers running the “show.” Buffy just began “Season 9″ and while “Season 8″ was flawed, particularly at the end, Whedon seems to be course-correcting successfully in the new “season,” just as he’d do on the t.v. show. Farscape had a decent run in comic form, with quite a few mini-series continuing the show and then a two year story that had major ramifications for the show’s universe, overseen by the show’s creator. Fringe already has a comic history to build on– D.C. comics ran a mini-series last year and even Joshua Jackson has contributed to web comics in supposed continuity with the show. Unlike some projects that never got off the ground in comic form (“Pushing Daisies”) or that ran into financial trouble (“Jericho,” which still managed to allow that shows writers to answer some major questions the show had left un-answered), Fringe already has a platform to a successful comics launch, should the need arise to continue the story in that form. I’d have no problem following the show into that form, if that’s where they have to continue it.

Comment by Geo – January 8, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • specially after they did that sort anime/comics episode, i think it would, could and should work in that formart after this year’s season finale, which will be the serie’s!

Comment by kaydeesmart – January 8, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Sorry- but the anime/comics ep was the worst they have ever aired, in my opinion. I gave up on comic books when I reached age 8.

Comment by Wyngate3 – January 9, 2012 06:41 PM PDT
        • As a serious comic buff, I agree that seasons can continue in alternate forms but let’s be honest: only the most hardcore fans end up following that and even then, it’s an iffy situation. While the Buffy and Angel seasons have continued in comic form, the majority of Buffy/Angel fans will tell you for them it ended when the TV series ended. The Buffy ending was okay. The Angel ending was probably the only “open-ended” series finale I ever saw that was totally and completely perfect. One of the best endings ever. But for the most part, most open-ended/cliffhanger series finales suck. Give Fringe a decent and if not complete series finale then a complete sense of closure as Angel did….

Comment by sladewilson – January 9, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • whether or not the majority of buffy/angel fans read the comic is debatable. fact is the buffy franchise is the most successful line for dark horse comics and is a true canonical continuation of the story. the pushing daisies comic has run into problems with the closure of wildstorm, the branch of dc originally intended to publish it, but technically it isn’t dead yet. the fringe comics series was great and i would gladly follow the story in that form. and look at arrested development. year later and we are getting it back, as a mini series and a movie. as long as the fans prove there is an audience i don’t think hope is lost.

Comment by murley – January 9, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It did for Southland, the best cop show on TV. Why not the best sci-fi show on TV? :)

Comment by DL – January 8, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My husband and I LOVED Southland. They ALWAYS cancel the good shows. Right now Fringe is the ONLY show I watch on Fox. I’ve NEVER missed an episode and if they cancel it now, I will not be happy.

Comment by Sharon – February 9, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been saying since last year that Fringe would help The CW change its image. It is also a WB production, so it would behoove WB to produce a couple more seasons for international and syndication sales, and with WB’s owning half of The CW, they may be able to cut a deal with CBS to move it there. I thought WB and The CW should have done the same thing with Human Target.

Comment by ragincajun – January 8, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem with the CW is going to be budget. If this thing is a big burden to Fox, how is the CW going to afford the special effects, the actors, guest stars, location shots, etc?

It’s not like you can shoot the whole show in Smallville.

Comment by Huntyr – January 9, 2012 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think they did move the show to Vancover this season to save money. So they are filming in Smallvile.

Comment by Kal-El – January 9, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Since Time Warner owns CW; they wouldn’t charge the same licensing that they do Fox.

Comment by Anna – January 9, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One reason CW didn’t save Human Target could be that HT’s Key audience was older than the under 30 demo that CW caters to. (Which is why that Smallville, Nikita and Top Model were pretty much the only CW shows I really watch.)

Comment by Anna – January 9, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember someone saying they had a five-season plan for the show and could extend it beyond that. Ending it on season 4 would be a shame. Especially seeing as it would (or, could, depending on season length) enter syndication next season. That said, I feel like season 4 has been a step down from a fantastic third season, and there is no doubt in my mind that Fringe will end on a high note, no matter if its this season, or the tenth season.

Comment by John – January 8, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have a feeling the producers have a great plan in mind for this year, and it will all make sense and we will love it. But the 7 episodes over 3 months, 4 months total since the first episode aired and we’re just getting episode 8? I think this time delay is causing the season to feel, well, not so great.

Comment by Jerry – January 8, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. I’ll bet when I watch it again on DVD in the future, it will feel much different.

Comment by Brooke – January 8, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ideally, I’d love a fifth season to wrap up the series. I’ve heard talk of other genre shows that I love being continued via comics. Other than the Whedonverse, I’ve never seen those plans come to fruition. But if the season 4 finale can also function as a series finale, I’ll just have to accept that. Maybe FOX can give is a 13 ep season 5, like NBC did for Chuck?

Comment by Michelle – January 8, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fringe already has done comics that are “canon” – the Joshua Jackson penned comics over the summer. They are officially, showrunner-sanctioned comics about what happened between Season 3 and Season 4.

Comment by Donna – January 8, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know that (I’ve read them), but these would be post-series comics. It’s one thing to publish comics during the during the show’s run and another to publish them after the series is over. I’m STILL waiting for the post-series Pushing Daisies comics, for example. Experience has taught me not to hope that those type of things work out.

Comment by Michelle – January 8, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Syfy buy it, please!!!

Comment by nat – January 8, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They can’t afford it according to everything @Syfy has ever said on twitter.

Comment by xforce11 – January 8, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If it’s too expensive for Fox it’s definitely too expensive for Syfy where cheap is the mantra. It would be better they go out well than come back as a shell of it’s former greatness.

Comment by Jimmy – January 8, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s too expensive for *any* cable network. Even if you slashed the per-episode budget, the principles’ salaries would sink it.

We’ve always known that FRINGE was unlikely to see another season; hell, it barely got renewed *last* season. I love the show, but it’s time for the writers to step up and write a series finale.

Comment by Simon Jester – January 8, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This show got almost cancelled last season, it got renewed not just for 13 episodes and then bavk 9, but for 22 right away for me it was a sign that the exec at fox were giving the writters an entire things to man up and wrap up the whole thing… i hope they went into this season thinking that it was the last one!

Comment by kaydeesmart – January 8, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my thought as well.

Comment by kirads09 – January 9, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What worries me most is the ‘we can continue this in other ways’ thing. No. I wish they were entirely focussed on wrapping the story up – and pleading for a 5th season in which to do it. All good things come to an end.

Comment by Ben – January 8, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. It’s time to accept the way things are and write a proper finale for the series.

Comment by MockingbirdGirl – January 8, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate when exes say that tired line of “We’re not in the business of losing money” when they have rigged the system to fail in the first place. They have let advertising be the only source of income for these on the bubble shows, yet they also are bleeding out million and millions of dollars promoting the show to advertisers! Not the fans! They’ve also have allowed production costs to become astronomically high. Why in this day and age are they still shooting Fringe (or any television show) on Film and then converting them to HD telecine? Sacrifice the stupid inconsequential grain and switch to HD video. (Which the geniuses just did for Season 4, but wasted millions of dollars doing it the old way from S1-3). It shouldn’t cost 4 million per episode. I would really love to get a hold of the line by line breakdown of budgetary costs of an episode of Fringe. I’m pretty sure it can be done cheaper.

Comment by TL – January 8, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if you are this smart about the business of doing tv shows, help yourself and do it

Comment by kaydeesmart – January 8, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • About the shooting costs, Fringe is shooting HD this season, they seem to cut costs on locations and sets
        The leading lady must have the cheapest wardrobe and hair bill, always the suit and same shoes and either hair loose or ponytail, so not much to do there.
        And you have a cast that plays multiple characters, especially the awesome Anna Torv, who even replaced Nimoy without getting paid extra.
        Irony is that the most expensive actor on Fringe is Jackson, probably gets 4-5 times the amount of Anna Torv, but Anna Torv is playing all these characters and working and promoting constantly, even on her holidays.
        I do hope that Fringe ends with what was to be the premiss, more for later seasons, according to Abrams, namely the abuse and the effect of the abuse of Olivia, would make a great ending Olivia versus Nina and Walter, and you would have the science, cortexiphan, combined with the science fiction, over there and powers.

Comment by Point – January 8, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • where did you hear that joshua jackon is the most paid actor on fringe?

i always thought that anna torv was the most paid?

Comment by amina – January 9, 2012 03:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • i know that in hollywood, the men ALWAYS get paid more than the women.

even if they do the same job.

remember that time when gillian anderson (scully , x-files) was angry , because david dechovny got paid more than her, and they did the same work!!

unfair, but that’s just the way it is.

so i’m not suprised if josh was paid more than anna.

jeff pinkner, once said that they pay joshua jackson TOO much money to have him just sit around home.

Comment by layla – January 9, 2012 03:48 AM PDT
          • Yeah, I’m not surprised if Jackson do indeed gets more per episode than Torv either. That’s how Hollywood works. But in its defense, Jackson is more known when he was first cast than Torv, who was a relative newcomer to American viewers from Australia.

Comment by Audrey – January 9, 2012 12:17 PM PDT
          • This conversation you’re having with yourself is quite funny, Point/amina. You shouldn’t have posted exactly the same elsewhere under the nickname of amina. Next time, you should keep track of your own posts.

Comment by Sam – January 10, 2012 12:43 AM PDT
          • In all honesty, I would say they pay all their regulars too much money to not be used on a regular basis, not just Josh. They all contribute to the actor’s salary budget. I’ve never understood why Astrid, Broyles and Nina and Charlie when he was on the show, were not used more. Not to mention high profile guest actors on the show who would be paid very well, I would imagine.

Since payscales are normally not made public, I think it is pure speculation on a certain posters part. Blair Brown, Kirk Avecedo, Lance Reddick as well as Josh all have vast and successful experiences on television. So, I don’t know why Josh is being singled out.

Comment by Annon – January 10, 2012 08:46 PM PDT
        • Anna Torv promotes constantly? Where? You never see her do ANY promotion. Or at least, she doesn’t do any more than John Noble and Joshua Jackson do.

Of course Joshua Jackson gets paid more. Has nothing to do with his gender – has to do with the fact he’s actually a recognizable name with a track record of successful show (Dawson’s Creek). Which, I have to admit, makes it a little mystifying that he has been used on the show less than the other two actors. I’m not complaining because I love the plotlines, but just saying.

Anna Torv, before Fringe started, was a no-name actress from Australia, I don’t know why you think she’d get paid a ton.

And, to be honest, she’s been featured front and center on the show and in multiple roles and the ratings are still terrible. America has not exactly fallen in love with Anna Torv. While this show gains her great respect as an actress (and I love her), it isn’t exactly going to make her more bankable. Sorry, that’s just how Hollywood works.

The big winner in all this has been John Noble. And rightly so. Whenever Fringe is over, he will have his pick of good roles and projects, I’m sure.

Comment by Donna – January 9, 2012 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Patty go away,you and your multiple usernames.

Comment by 8ball – January 9, 2012 06:15 AM PDT
          • The ratings are terrible because of Friday night where network TV shows go to die. Get it off of Friday if you want it to have a chance.

Comment by w – January 9, 2012 07:18 AM PDT
  • I love this show. This show is done.

Comment by Kaibosh – January 8, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ypu know what. I’m fed up with Fox. If they don’t see what a quality show they have in Fringe, they don’t deserve to show it on their network. Worst case scenario, if Fox is stupd enough to cancel it, ANY other networf, or even cable or whatever needs to buy it. I don;t care if it’s webisodes or whatever. Fringe CANNOT END.

Comment by Suhara W. – January 8, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, come now. Fox has been more than fair — including renewing FRINGE last year despite poor ratings. I’d love to see it continue, but I’ll be satisfied if it bows out gracefully with a *proper* concluding episode at the end of this season.

Comment by Simon Jester – January 8, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have to agree. Fox is still pushing ads for Fringe a lot, they are definitely doing their part on promoting it. If people don’t show back up for it on the 13th I don’t think it will be Fox’s fault (besides the night it’s on), unfortunately

Comment by Jerry – January 8, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, the worst thing Fox ever did to Fringe was move it to Thursdays from Tuesdays. The Friday move was an effort to save the show that was dying on Thursday nights. I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t even have a 4th season if they didn’t make that move. But it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if they never moved it in the first place. Thematically, it wasn’t the best show to follow Idol or Glee, but the ratings sure would have been better. And it’s not like Hell’s Kitchen is doing it any favors now!

Comment by Mike – January 9, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It also worries me that they thought the last season finale could have been a series finale. If this is the last season, god forbid, then we need a proper (happy) ending! At least I do. Maybe a 3 hour series finale would work…. But I hope it ends happily…

Comment by Suhara W. – January 8, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why does an ending have to be a happy one? That is just childish. The producers are right when they say last years ending would have worked as a finale.

Comment by Chris – January 8, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t follow the cancel/renew factor last season and thought that Fringe was a goner. I felt that the season 3 finale was the series finale and was extremely happy about having witnessed a fantastic finish to a brilliant show. I do not want a happy ending to everybody, this isn’t a disney show, you know.

Comment by GK – January 9, 2012 01:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss the show greatly but will always remember and be thankful for the amazing John Noble and the amazing Walter Biship

Comment by nikki – January 8, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love fringe! I have not liked this season. The whole its not the right world for Peter feels alot like its not the right world for Olivia last year. Lincoln does nothing for me but with that being said, I would love to see it on FX or ABC or USA…I dont need it to be on mainstream as many of my favorite shows no loner are…

Comment by dan – January 8, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe NEEDS a fifth and final season! I just want them to cross 100 episodes. If it’s a shortened 13-episode order, that’s fine. This season has been featuring one too many “monster of the week” that we can do without in favor of the serial story.

And no, please no graphic novels or comics! Pushing Daisies has yet to commit to that and Buffy season 8 and 9 are non-canon to me. They all need to TV format magic.

Comment by Mal – January 8, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yet NCIS and Glee and {shudder}Two and a Half Men will be on the air foreeeeevvvverrr.

Comment by Dessy – January 8, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seems to me NCIS only does well as there is nothing else to watch at the same time on the major networks! Reality crap shows and such versus a drama~ would rather watch a good drama over a crappy reality show! Move Fringe back to Tuesdays and give us another choice…..getting tired of watching repeats of Storage Wars on A&E!

Comment by 4thjet – January 10, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely hate this… I hope Fringe comes back stronger in upcoming episodes so we get a final 5th season even a shortened season, because it would end with 100 episodes, which would be AWESOME! I understand Reilly’s statement, but I hate it! They are the most watched network on 18-49 demo so they can afford it, the trouble is that it’s not making proffit. I would accept budget cuts- although I would not like it- or being moved to another network, however I wouldn’t like it ended without a proper ending. I hope the producers knows what they are doing, because last season finale would have sucked as a series finale

Comment by Were – January 8, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes let someone else pick up this masterpiece. FX, CW, SyFy anyone. Or turn it into cartoon to save money. Anything to keep this story going.

Comment by Danielle – January 8, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • turn it into a cartoon?

Comment by Dessy – January 8, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ew, sorry, a cartoon would just ruin it for me. The strongest part of Fringe isn’t just the stories- it’s the acting. Can you imagine Fringe with no Anna Torv, no John Noble, no Joshua Jackson? I sure can’t.

Hopefully Fox is gracious and lets us have at the very least, a 13-episode final season, to end the show properly. Or maybe it can be moved to Sy-Fy or something. Ughhh. This just sucks :/

Comment by AngelMoonGirl – January 8, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Voice acting is also acting.

Comment by Donna – January 9, 2012 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Fringe. Aren’t overseas sales helping even a little bit to stave off the production costs threat of closure…

They could always move production to Canada to save money…Oh wait…

Comment by Bob Genghis Khan – January 8, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, the only station that could hold it would be WB/CW but things that fox isn’t taking into consideration is writers and time slot/day. Fringe entered edgy and ravishing and has been rolled over to a time slot on a day against two heavy hitters. Now the writing has slipped and that department must also take responsibity for their failures. Fix those areas and Fringe will sore back to its glory.

Comment by joe – January 8, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The smart thing is for the people running the show to go ahead and write and shoot a series finale as this season finale. It isn’t coming back. Then the ppl who still watch it (not I, since I have not liked it since season 2), will get some resolution.

Comment by Danielle H – January 8, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the UK, most seasons are 6 to 8 episodes, and at the max 13. US networks should call split seasons by separate numbers, rather than the ludicrous idea of having a year and a half break in the middle of a season. Battlestar Galactica comes to mind, the two halves of season 4 were essentially two separate seasons.

Comment by LoreeW – January 8, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s not just the uk, it’s all over europe, in France as well series are 6 to 8 eps and max 13, but i think the business model in europe and the format is very different.

If you take the series Sherlock, Luther or Shadow Line which are 4 or 6 episode longue each… You will notice that every episode ios built like tv movie which means higher costs, that you can’t strech to 22 episodes

Comment by kaydeesmart – January 8, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what do they mean somewhere else. Do they already have another network in sight that could take Fringe?

Comment by Mike – January 8, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • uh, if they think Peter disappearing would have been a good series finale they must be joking. and if they do something similar this season and it ends up being their last – i think my heart might explode from sadness and wanting to know what happens next. then again, i wouldn’t expect anything less from the lovely dovely Fringe. *sigh*

Comment by cj – January 8, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh God :/ Please no!
    If Fringe goes, I will be SO upset! It is unlike all other shows on TV!
    Please guys, make sure you’re watching it live!
    Ugh, the entertainment industry really needs to look into changing the way they count live ratings, though. Nielson numbers are SO unreliable, and just look how well Fringe does when DVR comes into effect! Agggh.

Comment by AngelMoonGirl – January 8, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SyFy should pick this up. Even though the budget might be smaller than what it was on Fox, Fringe will probably bring in a lot more viewers, proportionally speaking, versus airing on Fox.

Comment by Jason – January 8, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last season’s finale might have served as an “authentic” series end, but I’m (however ridiculously) hoping for a happier end–one in which the little family unit stays intact and will continue to battle whatever new brand of crazy universal decay(s) the writers concoct.

Comment by Cass – January 8, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word.

I know it has to end sometime, but I don’t want some stupid Lost type “finale” that shuts the door on everything. I want these characters to live on.

Comment by Donna – January 9, 2012 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this is the last season,just give it a proper ending. :(

Comment by panda – January 8, 2012 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • J.J. Abrams mentioned that he’d like to see a 13-eppy final 5th season. that sounds perrrrfect to me! Please pleeeeeease make it happen, FOX! I really feel that 4th season is not the end yet (remember they were advertising this season as a reboot), better to have a proper final chapter.

Comment by DB – January 9, 2012 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let us have a 13 ep. 5th season.

Comment by colossus – January 9, 2012 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why people are suggesting Syfy… their shows are cheap and cheesy. Sorry, but the budget on Fringe does matter.

The very best we can hope for is a short fifth season. Or even a two-hour wrap-up film.

Comment by Donna – January 9, 2012 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The movies are cheesy and cheap, but syfy had one of the best shows of all time on their network (battlestar). I don’t think it’s out of the question for syfy to pick it up.

Comment by Whaa – January 9, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C’mon people, Fox doesn’t give a flying f*#@*% what the viewers want. Never have and never will. Fringe is the ONLY show on that “network” that is watchable. Yet they promote the hell out of all these worthless “reality” shows that have nothing to do with reality. We’ve known from the start (admit it) that Fox would ruin this show like they have before with other good ones. Switching it to the CW is a show killer, also. It won’t go on FX either since Fox owns that too.

Comment by Bill H – January 9, 2012 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish people would stop blaming Fox, stop blaming the showrunners, stop blaming anything but the unfairness of life itself.

Sometimes brilliant, wonderful television just doesn’t get rewarded as it should. Look at how this show never even got any acknowledgement from the rest of the TV industry (the Emmys) – it’s sickening and sad. John Noble… NEVER nominated for an Emmy. Never even NOMINATED. It’s appalling and makes me want to cry.

You can do everything right and still be cancelled. Because the television business is about appealing to the least common denominator… the vast masses of Americans who don’t think or reflect on anything, who just consume TV indifferently like potato chips. And what’s depressing is that we all eventually have to go back to our boring lives among these boring people who don’t ever think about anything… without our favorite show every week.

Comment by Donna – January 9, 2012 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So don’t blame FOX?

They made the fall finale turn into the winter premiere and aired old episodes in December for no reason when they could have aired this upcoming episode. The ratings obviously don’t matter to them and the scheduling made no sense, so who else do you blame?

3 1/2 hr football game on FOX, show is back in 5 days, yet not 1 commercial? If not FOX, who do you blame?

And I love the show but John Noble for an EMMY?!?! I love the character but lets be serious for a second here.

Comment by Peter Bishop II – January 9, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “…But Abrams, for one, says he’s “crossing [his] fingers” that the story of Peter, Olivia, Walter et al “gets to continue — and if not on Fox, maybe somewhere else…”

In my opinion, I think that the issue concerning the fate of Fringe, is becoming more explicit: the show will continue in some way, and if not on FOX, will be on another network. And with these statements, opinions, and I get a little more quiet about the future of our Fringe.

Comment by Zepp – January 9, 2012 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve read other places that it could be in graphic novel, webisode form. Not necessarily another network. But hey, I’d be more than open to another network taking it!

Comment by Mike – January 9, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still haven’t forgiven SyFy for the cancellation of Eureka (my favourite ever show!). I believe that was for budgetary reasons (and possibly ratings too), so I can’t see them taking over Fringe.

I shall be really p****d off if Fringe gets cancelled too. It’s a brilliant show.

I suppose Warehouse 13 will be next for the chop. Sigh.

Comment by Bouncy Castle, London, UK – January 9, 2012 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I’d hate to see the show go (easily best show on Network TV), if they’re able to wrap all the big questions and the main story arc up, then I’ll be more than satisfied. As much hate as FOX has gotten for foolishly canceling shows, some practically right out the door, they really did own up with Fringe by delivering a Fourth season.

Hey there could be a slight chance the show could get a short ordered Fifth season as a show of good faith, since it would gain it syndication status, so I wouldn’t count the show out just yet.

Comment by e_x_i_t – January 9, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blame FOX.. They claim it’s a money loser and they can’t make money on Friday nights, so why did they move it to Friday nights??!! Before they did, they gave a BS speech about how Friday ratings are different and the show could still be profitable. Plus all the overseas money they make back. It’s all a lie.

Maybe if they could find someone at FOX with half a brain to do the scheduling, they would realize it’s not a good idea to premiere a serial show like this, air 3 episodes, then a 4 week break, then another new episode, then a 2 week break, then 2 episodes, then a 2 month break. If you aren’t a fan of the show, how would you even know it’s coming back?! I didn’t see 1 commercial for Fringe during the Giants-Falcons game yesterday but saw 100 promos of the other garbage FOX promotes like Bones, Glee and of course 50 of the SAME promos just of American Idol. Because these shows need promotion.

Look @ this weeks Fringe. This is gonna be a HUGE episode because it was supposed to be the winter finale but FOX couldn’t find 1 Friday in December to air it. They don’t care about the fans, the producers, the show or anything else. Would any other show be treated like this on FOX?

All FOX cares about is Football, American Idol and the X Factor

Comment by Peter Bishop II – January 9, 2012 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FOX you’re losing ratings because of your stupid schedule!!!!! And nobody cares about American Idols except for country music fans, okay!

Comment by dianna – January 9, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Fox’s fault since the show did fine on Tuesdays. Why move it to competitive Thursday nights or graveyard Friday nights?

I think I would like the 13 episode 5th season idea.

Or maybe Syfy can pick it up like they did another Fox scifi show, Sliders.

Comment by Allison – January 9, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Fringe. I’ve watched it from day one and have never missed an epi.
    For me, it’s always been the new X-Files (with less skepticism). There are so many strange and interesting things each week and the cast works well together.

Comment by Lisa – January 9, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about a shortened fifth season of 13 episodes, Fox? I think that you can spare it if you can continue to beat House and Bones into the ground.

Comment by Beth – January 9, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show and totally agree-it seems every show I like us canceled keep Fringe!!!

Comment by Anna Rezabek – January 9, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s verrrry frustrating when networks like FOX jack around with a quality show like FRINGE. Instead they feed the masses pablum like American Idol et al. SyFy or Fox’s FX would be 2 reasonable alternatives. Putting Fringe on SyFy would help their schedule and might get viewers to pay attention instead of the array of CRAPTSTIC movies they show now[with some exceptions]. Putting Fringe on the CW would help CW, but I’m afraid it might be too adult for their demos
    Even the Science channel showed Firefly. Bottom line is that Fringe needs to continue as long as the principle cast, crew & producers want it. Maybe a full length movie would help?

Comment by spreidy856 – January 9, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Remind me but wasn’t the show’s numbers pretty decent when it was on another night but lost viewers when it moved to Friday?

Comment by SAM – January 9, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes that’s true.

Comment by panda – January 9, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I take it you had never seen the finale of Lost then…

Comment by Joe Key – January 9, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When a network EP says ”We lose a lot of money on the show. At that rating, on [Friday] night, its impossible to make money.” about your show, you know it’s bound to be cancelled. But of course, there are miracles…

Comment by Audrey – January 9, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s impossible to argue that Kevin Reilly has been more than fair to Fringe. In fact, he’s been openly biased TOWARDS it, which is the opposite of fair. It’s time for him to sit Pinkner down and say, “wrap it up”. That way they have a few months to arch towards a great finale and satisfy those of us who’ve stuck with it all this time.

Four seasons is fine. Just plan an ending.

Comment by John – January 9, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post