TVLine Items: Elton John Not One of Glee's Gay Dads, Grey's Plots Another Crossover and More

Glee fans vying for Elton John to play one of Rachel Berry’s theatrically-inclined pops, avert your eyes now: It’s not gonna happen.

“He is, unfortunately, touring,” executive producer Ryan Murphy told TV Guide Magazine when asked if John is a contender to play one of the two dads. Murphy did confirm that he is “currently meeting and talking” to actors, claiming, “So many people are interested in playing them.” (And don’t forget, there are always all of these options, courtesy of TVLine.)

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Turning from “Rocket Man” to The Six Million Dollar Man: Lee Majors has booked a CSI: NY guest spot, appearing in the same episode as Greek alumni Spencer Grammer and Aaron Hill (as we first reported). According to TVGuide.com, Majors will play the detective who worked on a 1950s cold case that has resurfaced in present day.

• Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice are set for another two-way “crossover event” in mid-February. TVGuide.com reports that Derek’s sis, Amelia, will appear on Grey’s that night, while McDreamy and Lexie will be a part of the accompanying Private Practice. (Earlier in February, Kate Walsh will appear on Grey’s as part of the alt-reality/”What If?” episode we told you about last month.)

• The Writers Guild Award nominations have been announced, and the TV categories are ripe with deserving contenders. The Drama Series nominees are Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, The Good Wife and Homeland, while Comedy Series nominations went to 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Louie, Modern Family and Parks and Recreation.

• Hallmark Channel has opted not to renew The Martha Stewart Show for another season. The long-running daytime series will conclude in May.

• Judith Light may not be reprising her Emmy-winning role as One Life to Live‘s Karen Wolek before the soap signs off next Friday, but she will appear alongside other Llanview faves on The View’s Jan. 13 tribute show, ABC Soaps in Depth reports. Also scheduled to drop by the ABC talkfest are Erika Slezak, Kassie DePaiva and her real-life husband James DePaiva, Robert S. Woods, Hillary B. Smith, Robin Strasser and, of course, series creator Agnes Nixon.

• VH1 has announced that it has no plans for 2012 editions of both Celebrity Rehab and its spinoff Celebrity Rehab Presents Sober House, though neither are officially cancelled. A network spokesperson tells EW.com that new cycles of each program are off the schedule due to, well… scheduling issues.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (19)

• Eeww, no offense but I don’t think anybody was hoping he was one of the dads.

Comment by Dee – January 5, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not to mention…Rachel is supposed to have one Jewish dad and one African American dad, isn’t she? Elton fits neither so why would he have been in consideration? Not to mention, should they still be trying for that spin-off, wouldn’t they want to cast two guys for her dads that could be available maybe to recur on the spin-off? Surely they wouldn’t want someone just as a one-off…we fans have been waiting for the big reveal of her dads all this time, I’d rather not get bad stunt casting.

Comment by Tess – January 5, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want them to cast someone famous as Rachel’s dads for a quick stunt. Fans have waited so long I think we deserve a bug multi-episode Rachel Berry story.

Comment by Celia – January 5, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, I HATE the crossover episodes. I swear they do them just to force people to watch Private Practice.

Comment by KSM – January 5, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s part of it, but I happen to love them. I’ve been dying to see Derek talk to Amelia about what she’s been doing, and it’ll be cool to see both Mark and Lexie w/ Addison.

Comment by Danielle H – January 5, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think we’ll see Addison in this crossover. Amelia will come to Seattle and I think the entire crossover will then take place in Seattle too, but Amelia’s storyline will just continue on Private Practice. Kind of like during the S5 crossover.

Comment by Lisa – January 5, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We’re talking about two shows that are connected on various levels. If I were a writer on either one of them, I’d go for crossovers too. I’m looking forward to this one.

Comment by Lisa – January 5, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I hate them too. And I hate Private Practice so much! Hope it’ll get cancelled in May.

Comment by Goku – January 6, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think you mean Robin Strasser, not Robin Slezak. I will definitely be tuning into the View on the 13th.

Comment by Nicky – January 5, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! I was wondering who Robin Slezak was.

Comment by Mika – January 5, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not just cast the two guys who were in the photo taped onto Rachel’s locker in season 1?

Comment by Lincoln – January 5, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I heard, but have never been able to confirm, that at least one of the actors in that picture is in his late 20s/early 30s, and while it worked for the quick portrait, it wouldn’t work (even if they wanted to) in practice. Ultimately, though, I think that if the part is meant to be significant, they are going for bigger names. Names who would never have agreed to sit for a throw-away portrait with the promise of a potential episode 3 seasons later. Which makes me think they’d be casting/recasting anyway at this point.

Comment by BR – January 5, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • or why not cast the perfect 2 people that look like the guys in that photo: lem and phil from better off ted?

Comment by murley – January 6, 2012 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t that crossover already planned but with Addison coming to Grey’s? In a world where she was still married to Derek or something?

Comment by Ingmar – January 5, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s another crossover…

Comment by indiebreadkid – January 5, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I get so happy when parks and recreation get nominated for anything its a great show and perfect cast and super funny totally agree with. The comeady part except mordern family it was funny last year bt this year its slacking

Comment by vane – January 5, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d start watching “Glee” again just to see who will play the dads. I’ve fallen off the “Glee” bandwagon around the end of the first season or the beginning of the second.

Comment by Monique – January 5, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Elton, but come on. He could play Rachel’s grandpa maybe. I hope they get someone closer to 47, not 67.

Comment by Jones – January 5, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing that kind of excites me about the secondary crossover episode is that I would love to see Lexie and Addison interact on Addie’s turf! I would also love for Addison to tell Lexie to get her ass in gear and don’t let the eye surgeon stand her way!

Comment by Alicia L. – January 6, 2012 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post