Pretty Little Liars Premiere Recap: 'A' Is (Kinda) Revealed, [Spoiler] Is Finally Outed and More!

[Warning: If you’ve yet to watch Monday’s Pretty Little Liars premiere, avert your eyes…now! Everyone else, read on…]

Pretty Little Liars kicked off the New Year with a jaw-dropping — and downright creepy — winter premiere. Here’s what went down when Aria and Co. returned for another go-round with the infamous “A.”

Pretty Little Brawl | Season 2.5 debuted with the girls finishing up their community service (the residual effects of Dr. Sullivan’s disappearance) — and beating the you-know-what out of each other! Thankfully, it was all a ruse to trick “A” into coming out in the open — which he or she eventually did. Having witnessed the bickering between the girls, The Sinister One reaches out to Emily and offers up his/her icky brand of friendship on the condition that they meet that night.

Close Encounters of the ‘A’ Kind | Weak link, huh? Seems Emily’s the toughest Liar of all, fearlessly facing off with “A” when he/she shows up for their scheduled rendezvous. Em quickly reveals that the girls have bested “A” and just like that, things get violent. In fact, it should be said that it’s the most physically threatening we’ve ever seen “A” get — almost stabbing Emily with a shovel! The girls do their best to catch a fleeing “A,” but they are unsuccessful.

Ezria Outed | It was the reveal heard ’round the world: Aria and Ezra, hand-in-hand, sat down with the Montgomerys and came clean about their relationship. Unfortunately, Ella and Byron were not as understanding as Ezria fans would have liked, condemning their daughter’s former teacher for his behavior. (Baby bro Mike even punched his sib’s man in the face, but we learn he was actually just trying to help.) Later, Aria attempted to smooth things over with her folks by reiterating that she and Ezra are really, truly in love. They did not budge.

Dial “A” for Awesome | The always one-step-ahead “A” slips up in a big way, dropping his/her cell phone during the aforementioned kerfuffle with the girls… However will the nefarious hoodie-wearer mess with the Liars now?

Twisted Triangle | Caleb came back from California, and while Hanna was happy to see her beau, Lucas was not. It quickly became apparent that his feelings for his former crush have returned and he is none-too-happy to see his onetime pal and current roomie. The result? He issued Caleb a little warning about messing with pretty little H’s heart.

Everything Else | Emily’s future as a swimmer was called into question due to her recent trouble with the law; Hanna’s Dad returned to town and revealed that, for the sake of his relationship with his daughter, he and his new family — including Natalie Hall’s evil Kate — are moving to Rosewood; Toby and Spencer’s relationship was still strained, but his continued efforts to fix things hint at a reconciliation for the two in the not-so-distant future; we’ve (hopefully) seen the last of Ezra’s ex, Jackie, now that she’s not blackmailing Aria, the affair is public knowledge and Hollis College’s hottest teacher told her off.

So, what did you think of the Liars‘ 2012 debut? Hit the comments with your snappy judgments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Dan says:

Awesome! This season is starting out pretty good!

2. Samantha says:

SUCH a good episode! I was on the edge of my seat, and it was great to see A finally put in his/her place (almost)!

3. nicole says:

im on the west coast and cant watch it on my tv becaus emy cable is down,, is there a website i can watch the new episode? :/

4. Steph says:

Went into it screaming at Spencer to take a chill pill! Lol but the whole thing was just dripping with excitement and suspense

5. Estée says:

I think abc family puts full episodes on the site after they have aired on the west coast

6. Jackie says:

Yes ! On but i dont think itll be up until sometime tommorow . Just search Pretty Little Liars (:

7. Katherine says:

the premier screams ‘A’mazing!!!!

8. Amelie says:

If Lucas messes up Hanna and Caleb, I’m going to be pissed.

9. Carrie says:

So who is A? My DVR cut off the end!

10. raftrap says:

Great episode, just freaking perfect. I missed this show a lot.

11. Loren says:

It has to be a guy that did it.

12. Sam says:

I’m curious as to why Lucas was hiding that website (or whatever it was) from Hanna. Really liked this episode!

13. LoveBug says:

I hate the story of Ezra and Aria. This show is really good but its certainly the weak link. It is a crime, she is 16…he is at least 22. Have they ever stated their actual ages? What parents would not call the police? So stupid…the rest of the stories even fantastical as they are – somewhat believable. But this? Uh, no! It’s not romantic, it’s wrong. And the worst offense? It’s boring!

• ilikeponies says:

ummmm have you like seen the real world? a 6 year difference in a marriage is PERFECTLY reasonable

• Eames says:

Not when one is a MINOR and the other was their teacher when it was going on… How is that perfectly reasonable? It’s illegal.

• Adohr says:

I agree with you Eames and LoveBug. COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE. I’m ALL for huge age gaps when it comes to relationships, you know? I support Brangelina’s 11 year gap and Jayonce’s 12 year gap. They’re hot!!! What I DON’T support are teachers dating their minor students. It’s really unprofessional.

• IrishSharon says:

First of all, they met in the summer before school started and Aria did not know that he was going to be a teacher at her school. Second, Aria led him to believe that she was a college student so he had no idea that she was a teenager. He thought she was older. By the time that he found out her real age, they had already been seeing each other and he was in love with Aria. The smart thing to have done was to stop seeing her at that point, which he did try to do, but he was already in love with her & Aria kept pleading their case to him. Once you’re in love with someone, you may know that’s it better to stop seeing them but is emotionally pretty hard to do.

• Nicotine says:

That’s an excellent lesson to teach young girls – as long as you’re super-really-in-love, it’s okay. We understand if an adult male is committing statutory rape because he’s super-really-in-love. If pedophiles knew that all they had to do was being in love with the minor they are taking advantage of, maybe they’d start using that excuse all the time.

I’m gonna really disappointed in this show if they don’t do something to rectify this glaring omission. Especially since their main audience is young teenage girls. They are sending a really dangerous message.

• r0ckmypants says:

They met (made out) ONCE before school started. Once Ezra knew Aria was underage AND his student, it should’ve gone no further… in the real world. But this is TV, so I get it. As of now there’s more tension in their relationship than there is in the whole ‘A’ storyline.

• jessica b. says:

I totally agree with you!

@Nicotine (it seems like I can’t reply your post directly):

Young girls should be educated and raised by television. As far as I know that’s a parents’ job. I grew up watching shows like these, where teenagers had innapropriate relationships, did drugs, had sex with everybody, because, that’s pretty much what you get from TV for a long time now, and I’ve never done those things, I grew up away from any trouble and now I’m a young adult with an amazing life and a bright future ahead of me, do you know why? I have a brilliant mother, who took the time to teach me right from wrong. pretty simple, right? besides, if you have a kid and you’re worried about what they watch on tv, you own the remote control, you put limits, you raise and educate them, not your tv.
            sorry for any errors (talking about the writing) on this comment, english is a second language to me.

• Jasmin says:

hello they were hiding it and they know it is wrong thats the reason 4 hiding. but if they are in love leave them be ,or would you rather her bieng with jason

• Sami says:

For the record, the legal age of consent in Pennsylvania, where Rosewood is suppose to be is 16. So technically, Aria and Ezra’s relationship is legal, considering that they haven’t had sexual intercourse.

14. Grace says:

You can watch the episode on under shows tomorrow at some point. I always do that since I don’t have cable

15. Monkeyrat says:

Epic!! Great episode! I’ve missed this show so much, so happy it’s finally back! :D

16. fernando says:

One of the best ep. so far, I love Spencer, Torian plays her so well, I wish she would get awards for playing her so well. I love that this half season is more drama and getting us ready for big reveals.

17. Mariah says:

I know who -A is :) you will never expect it

18. Mariah says:

Nope it’s not. It’s a girl

19. emily says:

ahhh!! I have to wait that long to find out! omg! haha I love this show so much lol I think I’m ‘A’ddicted to it

20. Sarah! says:

I wanna see who A is. it is bugging me so bad! I can not wait to see the rest of the episodes..
    #excited follow me on twitter. sarah_annxox

21. Alex says:

I think instead of Aria and Ezra. I think she would look cuter with Noel Kahn

22. lizzy says:

What happened after A reached her car. Was there a clue or something ? My stupid DVR cut off!

23. kerry says:

What happened at the very end? All I saw was A about to get in a car… anything after that? My dvr cut off

24. Kurt says:

Am I the only one who thought that several of the girls were carrying flashlights so why didn’t they shine the light in A’s face? Umm, duh! Terrible plot point to an otherwise great episode.

25. Lauren says:

I am not saying I condone the relationship, but it’s actually not illegal in every state. For example, in Alabama where I live, the age of consent is 16. Just clarifying.

• BRETT says:

The show takes place in Pennsylvania, and if I’m not mistaken, the writers of the show have stated that the teacher would not necessarily be prosecuted in that state. I don’t care enough to see if that’s right or not.

26. olivia says:

they’re idiots for not shining the torch in A’s face when they had the chance. like it actually made me so raging.

27. Christina says:

Wasn’t that impressed with thepis

28. Kyla says:

This show needs more Emily. She was boss in this episode!

29. chasity reed says:

I love this show. That episode was amazing. Can’t wait till next week

30. Kyndall says:

Loved it thought it was a good way to start off the season can’t wait till the next episode

31. Jane says:

It is hard to respect a show based on a book cobbled together by a research group and a half dozen anonymous ghost writers that rehashes other YA books cobbled together by research groups and written by ghost writers.

If you put the Pretty Dirty Liar Girls, Gossip Girls, Circle of Secret Girls et all together you’d get a whole lot of bland. It makes me sad that people settle for this stuff.

32. Dara says:

Honestly, it’s not even the age difference that really bothers me between Aria and Ezra. Even though the fact that she’s in high school and he was her teacher is a little skeevy. What bothers me is they’ve literally been around since the pilot. We’ve never seen Aria this teenage girl with anyone else. And I think it’s important to date other people especially at such a young age when you’re constantly growing and changing. I would love to see Aria with Jason or Noel for a change. Ezria grown a bit boring, even with this new explosive obstacle the show has presented.
    But on another note Caleb and Hanna for the win! They are perfect. I will never be able to ship her with Lucas romantically.

33. Leo says:

Superb winter premiere!
    I love how Ezria story plays out! I really ship both of them. And as long as they don’t have sex, I will keep shipping them.
    I love Mike for having his sister’s back.
    I love how the girls try to outsmart ‘A’.
    I love the Spoby scene.
    I love it when Ezra snap at Jackie, “Who invited you in?”
    I love the episode.

34. kate says:

I used to watch this show (until I missed a bunch of eps), but I have to say, reading the recap, I’m really glad Aria’s parents reacted the way they did. Too often the shows on ABC Family have parents that are complete idiots, and while her parents are idiots, they’re not such idiots that they think it’s cool their daughter was banging her teacher.

The Ezra/Aria relationship was always the least realistic part of the show to me anyway. A 24/25ish year old doesn’t seriously date a 15/16ish year old. Sorry, they don’t.

35. adriene says:

My favorite part was where Aria’s dad said it was Ezra’s responsibility to put a stop to the relationship, and right then Mama Montgomery gives him a look that says “Pot, meet kettle.” I admit I always had a problem with the Ezria relationship age difference/student-teacher ick factor. I also found them a little boring too. But at that moment, I couldn’t help but laugh at the dad’s expense and I began to root just a little bit for Ezria.