HBO Renews Enlightened, Cancels Hung, How to Make It in America, Bored to Death

This just in: HBO has renewed Laura Dern’s Golden Globe-nominated comedy Enlightened for a second season, the network confirmed today.

At the same time, the news was not so happy for fans of Hung, Bored to Death, and How to Make It in America, as the network announced it will not order any additional episodes of those recently concluded series.

Enlightened’s Laura Dern on Season 2 Hopes: ‘It’s Your Moral Duty as an American to Watch’

While Enlightened‘s Dec. 12 Season 1 finale averaged a mere 0.1 rating among adults 18-49, and 263,000 total viewers, it found a foothold with critics and picked up Globe nominations for Best Comedy Series and Lead Actress in a Comedy last week, an honor Dern told TVLine made HBO “very, very happy.” The actress, who also serves as executive producer and co-creator on the series, said last week that she was “hopeful” about a renewal, and that she had “never felt [HBO] waver and imply that they wouldn’t be interested in [a second season], even though they haven’t given a formal announcement.”

Enlightened Season (Series?) Finale: 5 Reasons HBO Needs to Renew This Laura Dern Vehicle

“I remember I discovered Breaking Bad as the second season began,” Dern said, adding that it prompted her to rent Season 1 and get caught up. “After that, I became a committed, obsessed advocate because I love that show. And it’s fun to get to discover these very unique and creative forms of stories, so I feel excited to be part of that unfolding, and thankful for HBO’s support of it.”

Comments (113)

• Hopefully Hung will get renewed for a season 4. Any news on that?

Comment by Jarrod – December 20, 2011 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hung got over 10x as many viewers as Enlightened. Unless Dmitry decides to end it, I doubt it’s in any trouble.

Comment by Travis – December 20, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Have you seen enlightened? How can you say that it compares to Hung? It is so much better and it presents a very positive message about how to change corporate America! Watch the series, you may be surprised. Vote for season 2 NOW!!

Comment by Franco – April 30, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hung Bored to Death and How to Make it in America are all reportedly canceled.

Comment by Seth – December 20, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Looks like Hung was canceled

Comment by Will – December 20, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ohhhh. . . .

Comment by Jon – December 20, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you read the article or at least the title?

Comment by Glenn – December 20, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I asked this, before the article was updated. Look at my time stamp. Fool.

Comment by Jarrod – December 20, 2011 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just watched the whole season of Enlightened on a New Years Eve marathon and I loved, loved , loved it. I also discovered Breaking Bad in Season 3 and it has been my favorite show on TV. Add Enlightened to that list.

Comment by Debi – January 1, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s so unfair that both Hung AND Bored To Death have been canceled. These shows, along
      with Enlightened had made it great to be a subscriber to HBO. Now I don’t know what to
      think. Maybe I’ll have to go out and get a social life again and give up my wonderful new
      TV discoveries. Why did you do this to us, HBO? You ruined a wonderful thing. Those shows were magic!!!

Comment by emily draper – January 10, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very disappointed that Hung is not returning. Just found.. out as I was catching up on last episode.

Comment by Regina – September 3, 2012 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! HBO is the best network in the world! For a long time TV nerds have been dreaming of a place where the only prerequisite for renewal was quality. And now we have it. HUZZAH!

Comment by Sam – December 20, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tell that to Deadwood and Carnivale.

Comment by Jacob – December 20, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tell that to Bored to Death and Hung. Deadwood wasn’t canceled, David Milch didn’t want to make it anymore and stopped to make the classic (lmfao) “John from Cincinnati”.

Comment by bhm1304 – December 20, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • A: That thing about David Milch is completely untrue.
          B: I wrote the above post when this story was just “HBO renews Enlightened.” I take back what I said 100%.

Comment by Sam – December 20, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, give up the thought of ‘David Milch didn’t want to make it any more’. Not even a fraction of truth in that.

Comment by Dax – December 20, 2011 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree about Deadwood and Carnivale. Though not much of a western buff, I did enjoy Deadwood. I am so disappointed that HBO left Carnivale hanging like they did. It was a great series and could have gone at least one more season to finish out the story line. Wish they would finish it out for those of us that loved the show.

Comment by Dragonus von Nightseer – May 26, 2012 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ever hear of The Comeback?

Comment by Justin – December 21, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!

Comment by Muriel – December 20, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enlightened has been a really good show. Glad HBO is sticking with it even though it struggles getting.g crowded to tune in. Maybe the critical acclaim and award seasons will help it.

Comment by jasie – December 20, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I gave the show 3 episodes. It was awful. How this show can be called a “comedy” is beyond me. It’s not funny, it’s depressing! Sad to see it renewed for another season. Especially sad because I love Laura Dern and she deserves better.

Comment by Snapy – December 20, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Three episodes was all that I could tolerate. No amount of critical acclaim and ridiculous award nominations will make me want to go back to this nightmarish series.

Comment by Tania – December 20, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree-enlightenment is a sleeper. You have to stay with it. I did and I’m a big fan. Walks the line between parody of the main character’s new found spirituality and a genuine pathos and affection for her character. Likewise, the viewer is alternately embarassed and charmed by her blundering path between self delusion and reactivity and genuine growth. it always gives us just enough hope that maybe ,just maybe Amy will really change for the better.smart,sad, funny and sometimes surprisingly insightful. I’m glad it was renewed.

Comment by Brian whistler – January 27, 2012 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow! Nicely written! I can think of how I want to describe things and have the hardest time putting it in to words like you just did. Awesome!

Comment by ali – May 27, 2012 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No way! I loved Bored to Death!

Comment by Bobert – December 20, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO! Not Hung and Bored To Death! Why, why, why?

Ugh.

Comment by JenInChicago – December 20, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not Bored to Death! Noooooo!

Comment by nowayman – December 20, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Hung and How to make in america. The latter one is so fresh and has such great characters. Thomas Jane just got nominated for a golden globe for his role and then the show is canceled???!!!

Comment by Kai – December 20, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed this season of “Hung”, but the only definite mistake I see here is the cancellation of “How to Make It In America”. Such a great cast and untraditional storytelling. It was sort of like Entourage if Entourage had been a good show.

Comment by TheFinalMan – December 20, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. Hung actually got really good this season. That’s sad.

Comment by Brad – December 20, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad that “Hung” was canceled. First season was good and had promise. Past two seasons have been awful. They should have just concentrated on Ray and eliminated the ex and kids storyline. I stopped watching b/c they were just awful and their storylines so contrived.

Comment by jerseygirl – December 20, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally shocked about Bored to Death. Also surprised and disappointed about Hung.

Comment by MRinLA – December 20, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOW TO MAKE IT IN AMERICA! How much could it possibly cost to produce their 8-episode seasons?!

Comment by TheFinalMan – December 20, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they canceling Hung due to low ratings, then I blame HBO. They moved the premiere dates from it’s original airing from June to October. It got well over 2 million more viewers when it ran from June to September. If they had left it, instead of moving it to October to December, were it goes just over 1 million viewers or under, it would have done much better, as it wasn’t competing with all of the Fall shows that air in September/October. Leaving it it the Summer run was the best thing for it. They destroyed the show by moving it.

Comment by Jarrod – December 20, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea! HBO has themselves to blame for Hung’s ratings, it was doing great in the summer.

Comment by Jake – December 20, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jarrod, That comment makes absolutely too much sense. Don’t forget to mention that “Hung” got much better numbers than “Enlightened” regardless. Think about how interesting next season could have been with Tanya and Ray being the primary suspects in Lenore’s shooting? Its finale did something that should have given the show life. I’d take Jane Adams and Rebecca Creskoff 1000x over that Laura Dern half hour nap. Leaving an ending like that? Complete bu11s4it. Feel bad for “Hung”‘s Dmitry Lipkin and “Bored to Death”‘s Jonathan Ames. They should take their respective talents to F/X or Starz. HBO really made stupid decisions here.

Comment by bhm1304 – December 20, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have to agree completely. They could have at least signed the show up for a finale season if they didn’t want it. It’s like they moved the air dates on purpose in hopes it would get canceled.

Comment by Jarrod – December 20, 2011 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • booo i really wanted to see another season of How to Make it in America

Comment by ggny – December 20, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disapppointed that BTD and HTMIIA are gone…

Comment by SadPanda – December 20, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No more Bored to Death……this is a disgrace! The show was just getting REALLY good! I am soooo bummed!!

Comment by mb – December 20, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right there with you. Been a huge BTD fan since the beginning, and the show just kept getting better and funnier. It took on a different tone each season, I thought, a little crazier, faster, funnier. Was really looking forward to season 4…

Comment by sbw – December 20, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Bored to Death.

Comment by Lisa – December 20, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so bummed about Bored to Death. That was one of my favorite shows. Damn you, HBO!

Comment by Pattie – December 20, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So the most boring, least interesting of the four shows mentioned got renewed? Hhhmmmmm…….. So we’re never gonna know if Lenore was killed by Sandee? We’re never going to see Jonathan reveal the big secret he learned to Rose? Geez, if it wasn’t for “GoT” it would be a good time to cancel HBO.

Comment by BHM1304 – December 20, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, Enlightened really was the best of the 4 shows despite the ratings. But with How to Make It In America only having 8-episode seasons, it seems really unnecessary to have canceled it.

Comment by TheFinalMan – December 20, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um…watched all four and that comment is simply not true. Luke Wilson is per usual awful and Laura Dern was playing a completely unlikeable character on a boring self righteous show that barely had as many viewers as Bored to Death. Hung, which had better numbers even though HBO seemed determined to kill it by not airing it when it was making decent numbers over the summer, was actually a show that any hard working adult could just sit back enjoy and relate to without being preached at and “Bored to Death” was a good writer making a good television show with an excellent cast – oh and it made you laugh which “Enlightened” failed to do its entire run even though it was billed a comedy. “Enlightened” couldn’t even get a laugh for its Jason Mantzoukas character which is next to impossible with the actor, for that alone it was a major failure. Diane Ladd was the only redeemable part of the whole show.

Comment by BHM1304 – December 20, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed, Enlightened is awful.

Comment by Snapy – December 20, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • WRONG! ENLIGHTENED is a BRILLIANT show! LOVE it! 5 more seasons of Enlightened HBO!!!

Comment by Davincidoodle – December 20, 2011 06:50 PM PDT
  • Enlightened is the worst show on the network!! Plus I felt like How to Make it in America was the new Entourage… Terrible decision

Comment by Mike – December 20, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cancelled show #1 guy having mindblowing sex…with his SISTER
    Cancelled show#2 mddleaged male prostitute having lots of sex being managed by a creepy female pimp also having lots of sex
    Cancelled show #3 Luis Guzman having gangsta sex (ewww)
    Show#4 show about finding oneself not about sex at all written by a genius named Mike White….renewed! There’s a lesson here.

Comment by RichieS – December 20, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could you tell me of all the 4 statements above, which was the unfunniest one?

Comment by armandol – December 20, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would they cancel Bored To Death???? It was such a great show! C’mon HBO, I thought you were different. Bring it back!!!!!

Comment by Johnny – December 20, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to miss Ray & Tanya. Well there’s always GoT & TB.

Comment by Joanna – December 20, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now can they bring back The Comeback?

Comment by Alex – December 20, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes please! That, or make another awesome sitcom which Lisa Kudrow deserves by virtue of sheer talent. She is sorely missed.

Comment by Mico – December 20, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She is in a sitcom – Web Therapy – on Showtime (or online too)

Comment by Kristoffer – December 20, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How to make it in America was canceled????? Wtf !!! That cant be !!!

Comment by Mr. Razuri – December 20, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wanted to like Enlightened because Laura Dern is a great actress and Mike White wrote many movies I love, but the show doesn’t work for me at all. It’s dreary, depressing and almost completely devoid of likable characters. I hate how the main character keeps trying to shove her environmentalist ideas down everyone’s throats, and funny actors like Sarah Burns, Michaela Watkins and Jason Mantzoukas are completely wasted in dull roles.

Bored to Death, on the other hand, was a genuinely funny show that rebounded from a disappointing second season with an excellent season 3, although Jonathan sleeping with his half-sister creeped me out. I was hoping they were going to reveal they weren’t really half-siblings if the show got renewed, but now it’s a moot point.

How to Make It in America was a decent show, which enjoyed much more that Entourage’s last three seasons, but I can’t really say I’ll miss it. I liked Hung a lot less, but Jane Adams and the occasional female nudity kept me watching it.

Comment by shagamu – December 20, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is a bummer about How to Make it in America and Hung
    With Entourage ending I would have thought they would keep the shows they have, I guess they have a few new shows slated then if they decided to cancel these shows.
    Interesting that How to Make it in America is a show Mark Whalberg created and it did not last but Entourage did and supposedly everyone loves Boardwalk Empire

Comment by sarah – December 20, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not gonna stand for this. How to make it was just getting great… big deal it needed time to pick up. Entourage wasn’t AMAZING the first season either, but it ended up being one of the all time best shows.

Let’s bring it back guys, HBO will listen if there’s enough of us!

Comment by Rami Abramov – December 20, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How to make it in America was just becoming a Great show… Let’s get it back!

Comment by Rami Abramov – December 20, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Thomas Jane comes back in another TV show that lasts longer.

Comment by davey – December 20, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How To Make It In America was a great show. Too bad it got cancelled. Hopefully they the Thomas Jane to be The Punisher again for the tv show that is being tossed around.

Comment by Sg.Grant – December 20, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOAH! Didn’t expect this. Wasn’t there a recent article about how HBO doesn’t cancel shows anymore?…

Comment by Jess – December 20, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, Hung… great, How to Make it… great, Bored to Death… boring, Enlightened… pretty much not watchable. Disappointing.

Comment by Yeah – December 20, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thrilled about Enlightened! It is a great show and just as delightfully cringe worthy as the British version of The Office. Bummer about How to Make It In America. I thought it was really well written and acted. Bored to Death was appropriately titled. It sure
    bored me to death!

Comment by Paulysj – December 20, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would they cancel how to make it in America?! That show was able to at least take some type of place for entourage. It’s more realistic than entourage. Their hustle to create their brand and how new York fashion was extremely attention getting. The 18-25 who wish to be and entrepreneur or even a fashion head should push for this show to stay. Every time a see a preview for enlightened it looks boring.

Comment by James – December 20, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe that Hung and How to Make it in America got cancelled. HBO apparently doesn’t know what they are losing. I watched Enlightened once and was bored with it. Only reason I have HBO is for their tv shows. Looks like I may have to switch to Showime now.

Comment by Gabe – December 20, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bored to Death really started to suck, so I can cope with the cancellation, but Hung?? Why???? That show finally hit its stride!

Comment by dizzle – December 20, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Showtime is slightly better, in my opinion than HBO.

Showtime has: Homeland, Shameless, Californication, Weeds, Nurse Jackie, Dexter, The Big C, and that show House of Lies looks pretty damn good.

Comment by SPLUSM – December 20, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can Showtime pick up Bored to Death? I know, I know, but I *can* ask can’t I?

Comment by Tania – December 20, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If HBO cancels Game of Thrones after season 2 I’m boycotting lol

Comment by Phil beader – December 20, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s already renewed for S3.

Comment by Ashley – May 30, 2012 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad to see that BTD didn’t get renewed. A show that made me laugh from beginning to end. Watched one episode of enlightened. Too much angst for me.

Comment by Gigi – December 20, 2011 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hung!!!! Omg this a better show then Enlightened. I love hung. Hbo cancels all the wrong shoes and keeps the lousy ones.

Comment by Yanet Garcia – December 20, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HBO you suck I saw boycott lol

Comment by Greddy – December 20, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I meant say

Comment by Greddy – December 20, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOHH!
    Bored to Death was one of the best and most underrated shows out there. it’s such a shame to see it go :(

Comment by a. – December 20, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nooo… come on how to make it in america was just awesome … why the hell did u cancel it!!!

Comment by lama – December 20, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just cancelled HBO

Comment by Joe – December 20, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Congrats! Just lame comments will not teach HBO a lesson. After all, they want to earn money. They better listen to their subscribers’ preference for shows and clarify reasons for their decisions. Guys, MAKE them listen by choosing a language they cannot ignore!

Comment by Jurgen – January 17, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BRING BACK DEADWOOD!!!! JUST DO IT AND MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE!!!

Comment by pappypgh – December 20, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only show I’m not sad to see going is how to make it.

Also, what the heck, no more eastbound and down after this next season?

Btd was great! Hung was very interesting as well, Thomas jane or whatever his name is, is incredible.

Sorry for the choppy writing, I’m on an iPhone.

Comment by Ron – December 20, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is kinda sad. :(
    I was getting into Hung..I actually liked it..

Comment by TeraK – December 20, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post