Once Upon a Time Casts Amy Acker as Love Interest for [Spoiler] – Get Exclusive Details

Get More: Casting News, News, Scoop

Once Upon a Time has dipped into the Whedonverse yet again to fill a guest-starring role.

Amy Acker, who had roles on both Joss Whedon’s Angel and Dollhouse, will visit ABC’s fantastical freshman drama as a romantic interest for both Grumpy (of the Seven Dwarves) and his surly Storybrooke counterpart, Leroy, in a late winter episode that delves into the grouch’s backstory.

Hot for Winter: Your January Premieres and Returns Calendar

Lee Arenberg (Grumpy/Leroy) cheered the casting via Twitter, saying that on Friday he was “living the dream” working opposite both Acker and Ginnifer Goodwin (aka Snow White/Mary Margaret) — though it was not clear in which of the show’s two worlds their scenes were taking place.

Well, TVLine can exclusively report that Acker will play characters in both Storybrooke and the fairy tale world that was.

Midseason Report Cards: Which Freshman Shows Are Making the Grade?

Earlier this fall, Once cast Buffy the Vampire Slayer alumna Emma Caulfield as the Blind Witch from Hansel and Gretel lore; she will appear in this season’s ninth episode (get exclusive scoop here). Of course, Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse vet Jane Espenson is a writer/producer for Once.

Acker’s TV resume also includes ABC’s Happy Town and No Ordinary Family, and last month’s Lifetime movie Dear Santa. Ironically, she will also guest-star this winter on NBC’s Grimm, which like Once (though in a decidedly different way) revolves around fairy tale characters.

Once Upon a Time, having aired its seventh episode/fall finale this month, resumes its freshman run Jan. 8.

Comments (24)

• The fact that we’re going to get backstory for characters like Grumpy excites me even more than Amy Acker joining the show does.

Comment by Mellie – December 17, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • now can we get Emma and Amy their own show please?! together would be a bigger plus!
    Although upon seeing Emma’s comedic chops on Bandwagon I’d like to see her on her own sitcom or guest starring on community, parks and rec, modern family or cougartown I’d be happy with either of those possibilities.

Comment by t.t – December 17, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FYI, Emma also has a juicy role in the Dec. 25 episode of LEVERAGE, “The Lonely Hearts Job.”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 17, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Backstory for Grumpy? SO cool! Could be fun!
    Btw, is it dwarfs or dwarves?? I’ve been looking into it for a while now, but it just gets more and more confusing lol can anybody come to the rescue?

Comment by Bea – December 17, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The proper plural of dwarf is dwarfs. It is an exception to the rule covering leaf/leaves or knife/knives. [Masters in English from Northwestern - trust me].

Comment by Templar – December 17, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re right, “dwarfs” is the correct form… until Tolkien (“It may be observed that in this book as in The Hobbit the form dwarves is used, although the dictionaries tell us that the plural of dwarf is dwarfs(…)”) As a result, fantasy writers use “dwarves”. I think both are acceptable in general but “Snow White and the seven dwarves” would be wrong and astronomers always use “dwarfs”.

Comment by Marie – December 17, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Which is weird right? Because the plural of elf is elves. English is incomprehensible. As G.B. Shaw said ghoti spells fish according to the laws of english.

Comment by Templar – December 18, 2011 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You forgot to mention Amy was on ALIAS too.

Comment by Nicole – December 17, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone also notice that the best actors on the show are the women. The men can’t act.

This show is getting better and better. I only started reading Fables because of this show. I was googling Fables and this show and came over this interesting blog post. http://theillumi-nerdi.blogspot.com/2011/12/top-5-tv-shows-they-should-totally-do.html

It’s about comic books, movies and book fans want to see on t.v. Also there is a great poll. “What is your favorite non-superhero poll.” Fables made the list. Please, vote for it.

Comment by Prince Charming – December 17, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They can bring anyone,I still don’t care!!!
    After watching 2 (zzzzz half on it) episodes – I still prefer watching the Simpson or completing to hoping more thrill in Dexter,than watching a fairy tale with cheesy /boring dialogues…..

Comment by Jules – December 17, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, don’t hate me, but I’m pretty sure that’s an incorrect use of “ironically.” You substituted it for “coincidentally.”

Comment by Sam – December 17, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Only Alanis Morissette would find that ironic. And she’d be wrong.

Comment by brandy – December 17, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hope the fairytale purists don’t get mad! though i always preferred dopey

Comment by cheryl – December 17, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dude, you are a little late with this lol.. I found out last weekend she was going to be on OUAT (she was supposed to be at the Leverage CON last weekend but at the last minute she had to pull out as she was flying to film. Love her, can’t wait to see her on this! This is my favorite new show! Everything about it is awesome!

Comment by Jenn – December 17, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had heard about it too, but cut them some slack. The way I read this is that the details are the real news, because all the fan sites said Amy was just in the real word and not fairy tale land. Thanks for covering the show no matter how you do, TVline!

Comment by lauren – December 17, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Acker was also a regular on the last season of ALIAS .. i love her, she is great :)

Comment by Stefan – December 17, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AAmy Acker deserves a real staring role on a show. She can play comedy, nerdy, sexy and evil. I actually wish they had brought her in as a dark story tale character. Maybe someone interested in overthrowing the Queen.

Comment by JHarnes – December 17, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They have enjoyed some dream casting at Once.

Comment by Ainav – December 17, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Acker also worked with Grimm’s executive producer David Greenwalt on Angel.

Alias Writers Drew Goddard and Jeff Bell first wrote for Amy on Angel. And speaking of Alias – Gina Torres (Anna Espinosa on Alias) worked with Jane Espenson (Exec Producer ONCE), David Greenwalt (Exe Prod Grimm) as Zoe on Firefly and Jasmin on Angel. I would LOVE to see Gina on ONCE!!

Jimmy Cricket’s dad was the Mayor on Buffy (S3′s Big Bad) – both Greenwalt and Espenson wrote for him that season.

The casts is SO STRONG – but I can still think of about 20 people with one degree of separation I would LOVE to see Espenson (ONCE) and Greenwalt (GRIMM) write for or produce again – how about you?? If I could only pick 2? James Marsters (Spike) & K.Todd Freeman (Mr. Trick). OK, and maybe Allison Hennigan, Mercedes McNab (Harmony) & Jeff Korber (Rack) — oh – Can’t forget Nathan Fillian, Ron Glass, Adam Baldwin, Morena Baccarin, Summer Glau – all of them!!

I just outed myself didn’t I.
    What did I miss? Who would you like to see?

Comment by ladyhelix – December 17, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love this show! :) I hope they do stories like Alice in Wonderland and mythology

Comment by Crystal – December 17, 2011 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m hoping for some of the more obscure tales, such as Snow White & Rose Red, The Pied Piper, The Old Woman In The Shoe, and Bluebeard.

Comment by Templar – December 18, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show¡ Can´t wait for 8th January.
    Thanks for the news¡

Comment by fotreya – December 18, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fred and Anya…they would’ve been friends if,you know,they weren’t both too dead to actually meet.It’s really cool to see Amy and Emma in OUAT,though. They are great actresses

Comment by M. – January 14, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post