Busy Philipps on Cougar Town Delay, Dashed Globes Dreams, Slashed Storylines: 'It Sucks'

Get More: Previews, Scoop

Busy Philipps won’t be waking up Thursday morning with visions of Golden Globe nominations for herself or her fellow Cougar Town cast members dancing in her head. “That’s not going to happen now. No one’s seen the show this season,” says Philipps, lamenting the fact that ABC has not only failed to find a spot for the hilarious ensemble comedy on its 2012 schedule, but also reduced its Season 3 episode order from 22 to 15.

Cougar Town Cameos: Who’s Popped Up Where? (Updated With Body of Proof – Watch It Here!)

Philipps says the Cougar Town cast has already shot 10 of those episodes, and that the show’s writers may have to cut back a storyline focusing on a new love interest for Laurie. “The writers have amazing stuff planned out for this season, and now they’re going to have to condense,” she says. “I feel bad for them. I feel bad for everyone. It’s a bummer. It sucks.”

The good news, though, says Philipps, is that Season 3 contains “some of the funniest work we’ve done since the beginning of the show. I’ve seen a couple of the episodes. The one Courteney [Cox] directed came out incredible.”

Plus, teases Philipps, there’s a new addition to the cast with major breakout potential: Briga Heelan, who’s been cast as the very young woman Grayson (unwittingly) impregnated years ago. “[Briga] is threateningly funny. She’s so good! She’s going to be a huge star,” Philipps predicts. “You heard it from me first.”

What’s more, while Laurie will indeed embark on a new romance with a military man who’s stuck in the Middle East — read more about how that relationship will work in this week’s Ask Ausiello! – the show will also address her burgeoning romantic feelings with Travis. “There’s a really good episode toward the beginning of the season where the two of us discuss our relationship a little bit,” Philipps explains. “It’s funny and sweet.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (33)

• Bring back Cougar Town!!!!!!!!

Comment by the girl – December 14, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES YES YES bring back one of the best shows on TV!!!!

Comment by Linda Long – January 14, 2012 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 6 seasons and a movie!

Comment by Stef – December 14, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • we need to TAKE BACK THE SAC!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by tigersmurfette – December 14, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every time I see my Penny Can, it makes me miss Cougar Town even more! I can’t wait til it comes back!

Comment by Sally – December 14, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At this point I’d even be happy with it airing on Friday nights if it meant it was back on for good. Seriously, Shark Tank and Extreme Makeover are better prospects than Cougar Town? I miss this awesome show.

Comment by Dizzle – December 14, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome show been off air too long already and now a cut season! BITCHES BE LOCO!

Comment by Gafstr – December 14, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • COME BACK ALREADY COUGAR TOWN!!!!! Six seasons and a movie!

Comment by JJ – December 14, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did I miss something on Grayson having a child from long ago or were we just “spoiled”?

Comment by Kaiulani – December 14, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is old news that has been out in the news since Summer at least.

Comment by lacey – December 14, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have seen the commercial for ABC’s new sitcom “Work it”—and I can not understand how ABC found a spot for that dreadful show (or even how the show got made) but can’t find a spot for Cougar town! I feel like I’m living in a parallel universe–how are amazing shows like Community, Cougar town and 30 Rock left off the schedule while crap makes it on? Don’t these networks take any pride in their job? Don’t even get me started on the ridiculous SAG nominations…

Comment by JAmandaFan – December 14, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I keep hoping that Work It will get canceled before its first episode is even finished airing so that Cougar Town can come back sooner rather than later.

Comment by Liz – December 14, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, we want back the sac. Miss CT so much and I am not even from the sates, I am from Latvia and we lave CT :)

Comment by Madara – December 14, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Cougar Town but I think I’ve hit the wall. I used to lap up these Cougar Town stories because they meant that the show was still out there, still being made, still going to be aired. Now it’s been so long, ABC has made so little effort to even TRY to get it back on the air that I’m just really depressed about it. I just feel desperation. Oh ABC, how you’ve screwed us all.

Comment by Ari – December 14, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love seeing all the support and love for Cougar Town. I remember watching Modern Family and passively screening Cougar Town because it was on afterwards, but then halfway through the first season I flipped and began enjoying CT so much more.

It’s easily my favourite comedy of the year and I miss everyone so much. It’s almost enough for me to find Big Carl and drown my sorrows (though it’d be white…I have no idea how Jules & co drink so much red!)

Comment by Cinephilactic – December 14, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Work It or Home Improvement 2.0 is canceled does that mean more than 15 episodes of Cougar Town? Slap out of it ABC!

Comment by lacey – December 14, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cougar Town Sucks, so Busy is right on that point! Once they went away from the original premise, it becamse friggin Scrubs in Florida! Can it, ABC, nobody cares for it anymore! Bring back Man Up!

Comment by brutony – December 14, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cougar town and community are my favorite shows on right now (kind of on i guess), and i’m so happy community has been getting the fanboy push it deserves, but i’m WAY more nervous for cougar town. cougar town is on a stronger network, meaning they’ll be less lenient with pulling the curtain. moreover, it was thought so lowly of by its network that they haven’t even begun airing episodes yet. to add insult to injury they’re cutting the episodes. that’s A LOT worse than community being pulled. i wish we could drum up more fan interest for my favorite winos :(

Comment by bob – December 14, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings is such a poor replacement for Cougar Town. HE never brings in the laughs for me and I don’t feel committed to any of the characters humor or wackiness. Cougar Town with all of its charm is sorely missed.

Comment by cher – December 15, 2011 02:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think we have room for both Happy Ending and Cougar Town. Gosh, I miss that show. I can’t believe some of the crap that’s on tv right now and we can’t have one of the funniest shows back on. It wouldn’t surprise me if they just cancelled Cougar Town, because the people running this stuff are morons… (ahem, Arrested Development).

Although, I guess we should blame the viewers as well since they’re not even watching shows like Parks and Rec… sigh.

Comment by Whaa – December 15, 2011 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d like to keep HE please. Lol I’m on the verge of throwing a fit without my CT though.
      I have no idea what that network is thinking putting a show like Work It on the air before the return of CT. It looks ridiculously stupid and a waste of air space.
      When I first heard of the idea for that show, I laughed, b/c I thought for sure it wouldn’t see the light of day.
      I guess I laughed too soon.
      BRING BACK COUGAR TOWN!!!!!!!!

Comment by Kristen – December 15, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on! We need Cougar Town SAP, I miss that great show.

Comment by paula – December 15, 2011 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bring back CT!!!!!

Comment by grace – December 15, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly people keep on bitching about Work It when they have not even seen the pilot. It’s actually quite funny!
    Also who thinks that Cougar Town would be a great show to air after “Last Man Standing”? You are crazy. Such a different show and it would not survive.

Comment by carolina – December 15, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is really disappointing that we will have to wait until march for CT to come back , SERIOUSLY!! with all the crap that is on TV right now very up setting that CT is the one they have pushed back.

I was so looking forward to watching this show sooner rather then later,.

Comment by Kerrie – December 20, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need my wine buddies back! :( miss CT soo much!

Comment by Stevie – December 27, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back cougar town!!!! It’s airing in NZ all over again, but it just makes me miss it!!!! We want all of cougar town!!!!

Comment by Jorda – December 29, 2011 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i want cougar town back and i’m so sad to hear about the downgrade from 22 to 15 episodes. i read during the summer that C town was picked up again and i breathed a giant sigh of relief. i feel terrible that they were robbed of 7 episodes and terrible that we have to suffer the consequences in the story line because of it. C-town foreva!

Comment by iheartctown – January 3, 2012 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring back Cougar Town, I used to look forward to it every week. Tv isn’t the same without it

Comment by Ash – January 4, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Cougar Town please,IN FULL, its one of the only programs on tv that has that feel good factor. It makes me smile when I watch it. So please we in the UK want more
    thanks

Comment by Mal – January 5, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Cougar Town!

Comment by Jess – January 7, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE COUGAR TOWN AND I LOVE BUSY PHILIPS!

Comment by Michael Dorosh – November 14, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pictures are genuinely good source of lessons instead of text, its my familiarity, what would you say?

Comment by Dave@plan cul – August 15, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post