Busy Philipps on Cougar Town Delay, Dashed Globes Dreams, Slashed Storylines: 'It Sucks'

Busy Philipps won’t be waking up Thursday morning with visions of Golden Globe nominations for herself or her fellow Cougar Town cast members dancing in her head. “That’s not going to happen now. No one’s seen the show this season,” says Philipps, lamenting the fact that ABC has not only failed to find a spot for the hilarious ensemble comedy on its 2012 schedule, but also reduced its Season 3 episode order from 22 to 15.

Cougar Town Cameos: Who’s Popped Up Where? (Updated With Body of Proof – Watch It Here!)

Philipps says the Cougar Town cast has already shot 10 of those episodes, and that the show’s writers may have to cut back a storyline focusing on a new love interest for Laurie. “The writers have amazing stuff planned out for this season, and now they’re going to have to condense,” she says. “I feel bad for them. I feel bad for everyone. It’s a bummer. It sucks.”

The good news, though, says Philipps, is that Season 3 contains “some of the funniest work we’ve done since the beginning of the show. I’ve seen a couple of the episodes. The one Courteney [Cox] directed came out incredible.”

Plus, teases Philipps, there’s a new addition to the cast with major breakout potential: Briga Heelan, who’s been cast as the very young woman Grayson (unwittingly) impregnated years ago. “[Briga] is threateningly funny. She’s so good! She’s going to be a huge star,” Philipps predicts. “You heard it from me first.”

What’s more, while Laurie will indeed embark on a new romance with a military man who’s stuck in the Middle East — read more about how that relationship will work in this week’s Ask Ausiello! – the show will also address her burgeoning romantic feelings with Travis. “There’s a really good episode toward the beginning of the season where the two of us discuss our relationship a little bit,” Philipps explains. “It’s funny and sweet.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. the girl says:

Bring back Cougar Town!!!!!!!!

2. Stef says:

6 seasons and a movie!

3. tigersmurfette says:

we need to TAKE BACK THE SAC!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Sally says:

Every time I see my Penny Can, it makes me miss Cougar Town even more! I can’t wait til it comes back!

5. Dizzle says:

At this point I’d even be happy with it airing on Friday nights if it meant it was back on for good. Seriously, Shark Tank and Extreme Makeover are better prospects than Cougar Town? I miss this awesome show.

6. Gafstr says:

Awesome show been off air too long already and now a cut season! BITCHES BE LOCO!

7. JJ says:

COME BACK ALREADY COUGAR TOWN!!!!! Six seasons and a movie!

8. Kaiulani says:

Did I miss something on Grayson having a child from long ago or were we just “spoiled”?

9. JAmandaFan says:

I have seen the commercial for ABC’s new sitcom “Work it”—and I can not understand how ABC found a spot for that dreadful show (or even how the show got made) but can’t find a spot for Cougar town! I feel like I’m living in a parallel universe–how are amazing shows like Community, Cougar town and 30 Rock left off the schedule while crap makes it on? Don’t these networks take any pride in their job? Don’t even get me started on the ridiculous SAG nominations…

• Liz says:

I keep hoping that Work It will get canceled before its first episode is even finished airing so that Cougar Town can come back sooner rather than later.

10. Madara says:

Yes, we want back the sac. Miss CT so much and I am not even from the sates, I am from Latvia and we lave CT :)

11. Ari says:

I love Cougar Town but I think I’ve hit the wall. I used to lap up these Cougar Town stories because they meant that the show was still out there, still being made, still going to be aired. Now it’s been so long, ABC has made so little effort to even TRY to get it back on the air that I’m just really depressed about it. I just feel desperation. Oh ABC, how you’ve screwed us all.

12. Love seeing all the support and love for Cougar Town. I remember watching Modern Family and passively screening Cougar Town because it was on afterwards, but then halfway through the first season I flipped and began enjoying CT so much more.

It’s easily my favourite comedy of the year and I miss everyone so much. It’s almost enough for me to find Big Carl and drown my sorrows (though it’d be white…I have no idea how Jules & co drink so much red!)

13. lacey says:

If Work It or Home Improvement 2.0 is canceled does that mean more than 15 episodes of Cougar Town? Slap out of it ABC!

14. brutony says:

Cougar Town Sucks, so Busy is right on that point! Once they went away from the original premise, it becamse friggin Scrubs in Florida! Can it, ABC, nobody cares for it anymore! Bring back Man Up!

15. bob says:

cougar town and community are my favorite shows on right now (kind of on i guess), and i’m so happy community has been getting the fanboy push it deserves, but i’m WAY more nervous for cougar town. cougar town is on a stronger network, meaning they’ll be less lenient with pulling the curtain. moreover, it was thought so lowly of by its network that they haven’t even begun airing episodes yet. to add insult to injury they’re cutting the episodes. that’s A LOT worse than community being pulled. i wish we could drum up more fan interest for my favorite winos :(

16. cher says:

Happy Endings is such a poor replacement for Cougar Town. HE never brings in the laughs for me and I don’t feel committed to any of the characters humor or wackiness. Cougar Town with all of its charm is sorely missed.

• Whaa says:

I think we have room for both Happy Ending and Cougar Town. Gosh, I miss that show. I can’t believe some of the crap that’s on tv right now and we can’t have one of the funniest shows back on. It wouldn’t surprise me if they just cancelled Cougar Town, because the people running this stuff are morons… (ahem, Arrested Development).

Although, I guess we should blame the viewers as well since they’re not even watching shows like Parks and Rec… sigh.

• Kristen says:

I’d like to keep HE please. Lol I’m on the verge of throwing a fit without my CT though.
      I have no idea what that network is thinking putting a show like Work It on the air before the return of CT. It looks ridiculously stupid and a waste of air space.
      When I first heard of the idea for that show, I laughed, b/c I thought for sure it wouldn’t see the light of day.
      I guess I laughed too soon.
      BRING BACK COUGAR TOWN!!!!!!!!

17. paula says:

Come on! We need Cougar Town SAP, I miss that great show.

18. grace says:

bring back CT!!!!!

19. carolina says:

Honestly people keep on bitching about Work It when they have not even seen the pilot. It’s actually quite funny!
    Also who thinks that Cougar Town would be a great show to air after “Last Man Standing”? You are crazy. Such a different show and it would not survive.

20. Kerrie says:

It is really disappointing that we will have to wait until march for CT to come back , SERIOUSLY!! with all the crap that is on TV right now very up setting that CT is the one they have pushed back.

I was so looking forward to watching this show sooner rather then later,.

21. Stevie says:

I need my wine buddies back! :( miss CT soo much!

22. Jorda says:

Bring back cougar town!!!! It’s airing in NZ all over again, but it just makes me miss it!!!! We want all of cougar town!!!!

23. iheartctown says:

i want cougar town back and i’m so sad to hear about the downgrade from 22 to 15 episodes. i read during the summer that C town was picked up again and i breathed a giant sigh of relief. i feel terrible that they were robbed of 7 episodes and terrible that we have to suffer the consequences in the story line because of it. C-town foreva!

24. Ash says:

Please bring back Cougar Town, I used to look forward to it every week. Tv isn’t the same without it

25. Mal says:

Bring back Cougar Town please,IN FULL, its one of the only programs on tv that has that feel good factor. It makes me smile when I watch it. So please we in the UK want more
    thanks

26. Jess says:

I love Cougar Town!

27. I LOVE COUGAR TOWN AND I LOVE BUSY PHILIPS!

28. Pictures are genuinely good source of lessons instead of text, its my familiarity, what would you say?