TVLine Items: Will Seacrest Replace Matt Lauer? Plus Five-0's Fun Blast from the Past and More!

Will Ryan Seacrest replace Matt Lauer, should the Today co-anchor vacate his seat next year? According to The Wall Street Journal, that is something the higher ups at NBC are actively pursuing.

The American Idol/E! News host is being courted as a possible successor for Lauer, the newspaper reports, seeing as the latter has reportedly expressed interest in leaving the show in the not-so-distant future. The alleged talks are said to be in the very early stages, and of course there is speculation that this news “leaked” in part to light a fire under Lauer at the negotation table.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

•  Ed Asner will guest-star on Hawaii Five-0 this spring, reprising a role he created back in 1975, on the original version of the series. Per Deadline, Asner will again play August March, who 36 years ago was an up-and-coming smuggler. Now, after serving three decades behind bars, March is called on by the current Five-0 team to consult on a case. Footage from Asner’s original appearance will be used in the episode.

Hip-hop star Pitbull may be coming to Glee, EW.com reports. The rapper is in talks to play Santana’s brother in an episode slated to air later this winter.

Sons of Anarchy, Two and a Half Men and ABC’s freshman hit Once Upon a Time have joined the lineup of series showing at The Paley Center for Media’s 29th annual PaleyFest. As previously announced, Mad Men, Modern Family and FX’s American Horror Story will feature panels at the festival as well, which is set to take place in Los Angeles March 2-14. Tickets go on sale here to Paley members on Jan. 13, and Jan. 15 to the general public. (TVLine’s very own Matt Mitovich will be moderating the Once panel, so don’t miss it!)

ABC has pulled Man Up! from its schedule and will run repeats of Last Man Standing in its place, until the Jan. 3 premiere of Work It.

Kyle Bornheimer is set to reunite with his Perfect Couples co-star David Walton on NBC’s midseason comedy Bent, TVGuide.com reports. Bornheimer will play a neighbor of Amanda Peet’s Alex who goes a little nuts over the constant construction Walton’s character is doing on her house.

• Desperate Housewives alum Roger Bart will play a very eccentric wig maker in a February episode of CSI, per EW.com.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Amanda says:

I think it would be a HUGE embarrassment for NBC television if they replaced Matt Lauer with Ryan Seacrest. I mean I like Ryan Seacrest and he is great with entertainment but he’s no news reporter. Can you honestly see him sitting down with someone and having a serious conversation??? I mean come on.

2. L says:

I think Ryan Seacrest would be a terrible replacement for Matt Lauer. He wouldn’t be able to do a hard news story at all. He’d be fine for celebrity interviews, but nothing else.

3. alr says:

I see no reason for Seacrest to even be CONSIDERED for Today. He’s produced a bunch of reality crap that might be good for channels like E! but no way should he be considered in the same league as quality reporters like Matt Lauer.

4. dan says:

First of all, when was that picture of Matt Lauer taken? 2002? Maybe NBC could have a more current publicity picture of the guy and not one that makes him look like a recent college graduate. Secondly, they cannot be serious about Ryan Seacrest. No, really? This has to be a joke. I’m not a fan of the “Today” show, but I respect the fact that it is supposed to be a news show for the first hour or so. If they bring Ryan on then let him handle the 4th hour with Kathie Lee and Hoda (he can drink wine with them and talk about make-up and hair coloring tips). Please NBC, make this rumor go away.

5. swordfish says:

I think Russ Mitchell, of CBS is perfect for the job.

6. Emily says:

When could Ryan Seacrest possibly find the time to host Today? He already has, like, 47 jobs…give or take a few.

7. WKD2 says:

I called it, Man Up…cancelled. And the one they’re going to bring in Jan, Work It, will fail also. It’s just a copy of the old Tom Hanks series Bosom Buddies.

• kevin says:

You’re right about WORK IT though and I hope it’s going to be a “disaster in drag” if it’s canceled for at least one or two episodes and my money’s on it right now.

• CJ says:

Work It isn’t a copy of Bosom Buddies. Bosom Buddies was men in drag at home, Work It is men in drag at work. The main difference between the two, though, is the 35 year difference in time. The idea in the 70s seemed whimsical and creative. In 2011, it seems pathetic and silly. I can’t say for sure without watching the show, but I suspect the humor will be a lot more strident and stupid on Work It. Bosom Buddies was very silly, but it had many laughs.

8. candacetx says:

Whoe are these people that keep believing that Ryan Seacrest is a ratings draw — and why are they in charge of stuff?

9. kevin says:

ABC finally got what the network deserves for yanking the “already canceled” MAN UP from its schedule and hopefully won’t be back forever and ever at least when WORK IT is about to be a very bad start for the arrival of mid-season TV. COUGAR TOWN better put it on its schedule for Tuesdays at 8:30 p.m. following LAST MAN STANDING.

10. Jules says:

Seriously,who taugh that was a good idea!!!
    If Lauer quit, I will stop watching…
    Enough with Seacrest “stealing” job… Does having a radio show and hosting “crappy” idol is not enough…just go to Zzzzzzzzz….
    Plus, it’s another reason to drown their ratings even more…NBC as no good shows anymore

11. Renee says:

I’m sure Matt Lauer is tired of having to get to work at like 4:00am every day. I can see why he wants out of the morning job. I’ll miss him though. I can’t picture anybody else doing the job though. Successfully anyway.

12. Danielle H says:

PLEASE PLEASE start a post about midseason premieres. I am freaking out that I’m going to miss something. Even if it’s a partial list, just start one and add to it. You guys had it going on for Fall Premieres, now we need one for midseason!

13. nitemar says:

Replace Ann Curry, but not with Seacrest.

14. Ben from Baltimore says:

Ryan Seacrest wouldn’t know where to start if he was interviewing somebody like the Pope, the Dalai Lama, or a foreign leader. I’ve had my issues with Jay Leno, but you have to admit that Jay would be better suited for this job than Ryan. He has interviewed President Obama twice and has filled in for Katie Couric. But, nobody can replace Matt. Matt goes, and the ratings will go out the door with him. Matt and Al have been holding down the fort since Meredith Viera left. Matt needs to stay put.

15. Beany53 says:

The current run of Hawaii Five-0 is a remake of the old series so having Ed Asner play the same character but aged 36 years is confusing.

• dan says:

Current Hawaii Five-O is not a remake, it is a continuation. The lead character (the Aussie actor with the abs) is the son of the original lead character. So Ed Asner playing the same character 36 years later makes perfect sense.

• Mandy says:

It’s a reboot, not a continuation. The character names are all the same as the original, even though there’s not much else the same apart from that. Despite this I think it’s very creative to have Ed Asner play the same character as before. Most people watching it will have no idea the character appeared in the original show, but it’s a nice nod to the fans who do know. The exec. producer Peter Lenkov is always putting in little things for people to pick up on. He pays homage to the original series quite a lot.

• Beany53 says:

I watched the original series when it aired all those years ago. And I still think it is confusing as Ed Asner’s character will have aged when none of the other characters have. I also appreciate the little things put in for us old time viewers, but this isn’t one of them.

16. Beany53 says:

This is what wikipedia says about the show:

On May 17, 2010, the Hawaii Five-O remake was picked up by CBS, which scheduled it for Monday nights in the 10–11 pm timeslot. Dan do you notice the word “remake”.

17. gcem says:

Well, after watching the Today show the majority of my life (I’m 56), if Seacrest is brought in to replace Matt Lauer, that will be the last that I watch. How ridiculous!

18. alyssa says:

So, I actually really loved Man Up! Sure, it wasn’t the best show on television, but I think it had a lot of really great elements that they really could have capitalized on and progressed into a fantastic comedy.
    I will certainly miss it. :(

19. alyssa says:

And the fact that the show replacing it is Work It, is the saddest thing I’ve ever heard of. Even the commercials are a train wreck. If it makes it past 2 episodes, I will be SHOCKED.