TVLine Items: Will Seacrest Replace Matt Lauer? Plus Five-0's Fun Blast from the Past and More!
Will Ryan Seacrest replace Matt Lauer, should the Today co-anchor vacate his seat next year? According to The Wall Street Journal, that is something the higher ups at NBC are actively pursuing.
The American Idol/E! News host is being courted as a possible successor for Lauer, the newspaper reports, seeing as the latter has reportedly expressed interest in leaving the show in the not-so-distant future. The alleged talks are said to be in the very early stages, and of course there is speculation that this news “leaked” in part to light a fire under Lauer at the negotation table.
Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…
• Ed Asner will guest-star on Hawaii Five-0 this spring, reprising a role he created back in 1975, on the original version of the series. Per Deadline, Asner will again play August March, who 36 years ago was an up-and-coming smuggler. Now, after serving three decades behind bars, March is called on by the current Five-0 team to consult on a case. Footage from Asner’s original appearance will be used in the episode.
• Hip-hop star Pitbull may be coming to Glee, EW.com reports. The rapper is in talks to play Santana’s brother in an episode slated to air later this winter.
• Sons of Anarchy, Two and a Half Men and ABC’s freshman hit Once Upon a Time have joined the lineup of series showing at The Paley Center for Media’s 29th annual PaleyFest. As previously announced, Mad Men, Modern Family and FX’s American Horror Story will feature panels at the festival as well, which is set to take place in Los Angeles March 2-14. Tickets go on sale here to Paley members on Jan. 13, and Jan. 15 to the general public. (TVLine’s very own Matt Mitovich will be moderating the Once panel, so don’t miss it!)
• ABC has pulled Man Up! from its schedule and will run repeats of Last Man Standing in its place, until the Jan. 3 premiere of Work It.
• Kyle Bornheimer is set to reunite with his Perfect Couples co-star David Walton on NBC’s midseason comedy Bent, TVGuide.com reports. Bornheimer will play a neighbor of Amanda Peet’s Alex who goes a little nuts over the constant construction Walton’s character is doing on her house.
• Desperate Housewives alum Roger Bart will play a very eccentric wig maker in a February episode of CSI, per EW.com.
Which TVLine Items have you talking today?