Chrishell Stause Teases Body of Proof Bad Girl Role, All My Children's Original Series Finale

This Tuesday on Body of Proof (ABC, 10/9c), Chrishell Stause – who on All My Children dealt with all kinds of drama, including a cancer scare – must face a possible murder rap, guest-starring as a party planner who’s got a secret or two. TVLine invited the actress to preview her visit to the ABC procedural as well as weigh in on AMC‘s needlessly odd (in retrospect) series finale.

TVLINE | Let’s start with Body of Proof: Who gets murdered? And how do you fit in?
I play Justine, a party planner, and when her boyfriend shows up dead, she ends up becoming a suspect. He was a lottery winner, so there are a few suspects because of the money situation, and Justine is actually preparing a big party for him when the detectives show up investigating his murder – and no one there knows that he’s dead. It all starts with this big lavish party, but obviously he’s not going to show up.

TVLINE | Let’s hope not. What kind of dead is he? Shot, poisoned, heaved off a balcony…?
He’s stabbed, and in a very, very brutal way.

TVLINE | Given the way you’re rocking the motorcycle garb and how you wear the hell out of a party dress, people are going to want to think you did it. How is Justine’s alibi looking?
Welllll…. She starts out as a good girl party planner, but when they go to look for his bike, which has been stolen, a bike chase ensues. You don’t know if it’s a man or a woman [they're chasing], but when the helmet comes off, it’s me.

TVLINE | That doesn’t bode well.
Exactly. That leads to an interrogation and this whole thing….

Tracking the Cougar Town Cameos: Now Updated With Body of Proof (Watch It Here!)

TVLINE | Did you do any of the riding yourself?
I luckily had a very good stunt double who knew what she was doing, so I just got to look cool. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Who did you get to work with most, John Carroll Lynch (Bud Morris) and Nick Bishop (Peter Dunlop)?
Yes, and they were both so lovely. It was Nick’s birthday the day after I started, so we all went out to celebrate.

TVLINE | I met the entire cast at a party in L.A. this summer, and John is just this big ol’ teddy bear.
He is! What’s funny is that I didn’t know that he was [Drew's cross-dressing brother] from The Drew Carey Show. The one who was in drag with the crazy make-up? That was him!

TVLINE | And Nick, the show’s “big heartthrob,” is almost surprisingly reserved….
He’s a character, in the best way possible. The whole cast and crew, by the end they were hugging me goodbye. You wouldn’t expect that from a different show.

Body of Proof Plots a Casey Anthony-Inspired Episode

TVLINE | You landed Body of Proof immediately after All My Children wrapped. Did that inform your decision to not sign on for Prospect Park’s online plan? Were you like, “I have some options here”?
No. To be honest with you, that Prospect Park thing was such a disaster. They came to people and gave one offer, and when it came time to renegotiate they never came back to the table. It wasn’t the actors that weren’t trying to make something work.

TVLINE | Were you also skeptical that it would ever come to pass?
I was always open to doing it as long as I could do it while doing other things. I certainly didn’t want [Prospect Park to have] exclusivity. I know how devoted the fans are, and if we could have made that work, it would have been great to do it. I’ve done a web series before, so I thought I could swing it and other projects on the side, but then I just never heard back. [Prospect Park has since abandoned its plan to take AMC and One Life to Live online.]

Soaps Dish: ABC Daytime Boss Scrubs Out

TVLINE | Let’s talk about that AMC finale. There on the set, was there any talk of, “Hey, maybe we should shoot an alternate version – just in case“?
We did shoot a different version, and I love the version we shot originally. But then the Prospect Park thing came about. We only had Kate Collins [who plays Amanda's mother Janet] for a few days, so we had to shoot our ending with her really, really early. And then the Prospect Park thing happened and they changed the ending to what you saw. What’s sad is that I know what the ending as supposed to be, so I feel like the fans were robbed. We all had these vignettes that were beautiful and really great, so that’s the biggest regret.

TVLINE | Instead, we were left with crazed J.R. firing off some phantom gunshot.
I know…. But the film for the ending that was never used is out there, somewhere!

Casting News: All My Children Baddie Spies Nikita Gig

TVLINE | What’s your plan now? To get in fighting shape for pilot season?
I just wrapped up classes at The Groundlings, which was very challenging and cool, to brush up on my comedy stuff for pilot season. And Luke 11:17 is the web series I did, and we’re going to shoot Season 2 in February. But yeah, pilot season is supposed to be great this year, and I’ve already started some auditions. I’m really excited to focus and hit it hard.

TVLINE | When I heard that you were leaning towards primetime comedy, I found it interesting given all the drama you of course handled on the soap.
I always saw myself doing comedy, so when I got the job on All My Children it was not my thing — I had to slowly get into it. So yeah, I’d like to switch it up, but I love acting in general so I won’t be picky. But the two things I want to check off my list for sure are a comedy, and any kind of scary horror movie. I definitely want to be the killer or the girl screaming away in the forest!

1. Ethan says:

Chrishell should do a guest spot on Supernatural. She’d be an awesome hunter or monster chick on the run from Sam and Dean.

2. JAmandaFan says:

I hope ABC will release the finale footage in some capacity–it would be a great start at trying to win back all the viewers they lost. They could show the footage during an episode of The Chew to try to raise the ratings.

I loved Chrishell as Amanda and could totally see her on a comedy. Amanda and Jake had some really funny scenes together.

• Denise says:

If they were to show the finale footage on The Chew, I don’t think too many people would see it. Those of us who loved AMC refuse to watch The Chew so that would be a total waste of time. If ABC wants to raise their ratings, they need to cancel the Chew and bring our soaps back!!!

• Kim says:

Exactly Denise! I will NEVER watch The Spew and I have stopped watching almost everything on ABC. Would sure love to see the real finale, and to see AMC come back somewhere soon!

• tonya says:

I HAVE TOTALLY STOPPED WATCHING ABC BECAUSE OF THIS , I DON’T CARE WHAT’S ON AND MY FAMILY IS NOT TO WATCH ANYTHING ON THERE EITHER ….. WE HAVE TOTALLY BOYCOTTED ABC FOR IT’S STUPID DECISION, THEY SAY THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE OVERWEIGHT OK GET RID OF ALL THE FOOD SHOWS , TALK SHOWS , ETC….. T.V. WAS BETTER WHEN WE WERE YOUNGER …. NOW NOTHING BUT NEWS , FOOD , TALK SHOWS , WITHUT CABLE OR A DISH YOU JUST HAVE THOSE TO WATCH !!!!!!!!!

• Dave says:

ABC will never bring back the soaps and they won’t air elsewhere either. Get over it and move on.

3. april-ann says:

What a fun interview, thanks Matt! Love her and miss having her in my living room almost every afternoon, lol. I have always said that the fans were very sadly cheated out of what should have been a proper ending. Wish there were some way that ABC could make this right.

4. Cloudy Knight says:

She is beyond beautiful.

5. angie says:

maybe abc could make a finale movie so we can all have a little closure to something we watched for 40 years, if the cant/wont bring the show back.

6. Tvcat1 says:

Thanks for letting us in on what Chrishell is up to. I always liked her when she first showed up in Pine Valley, even though perhaps the audience wasn’t supposed to. She just comes off as a likeable person. Also, her tweets are surprisingly funny and interesting which is something I can’t say about 95% of her peers. I’d love to see her in a comedy. I think she is so talented as well as having beauty & brains.

Break a leg, Chrishell! xo

7. Jason says:

Good interview. Amanda was always my favorite on AMC and I hope Chrishell goes far in the acting world. She has the beauty but most importantly can act!

8. TV Gord says:

You got to talk to Chrishell Stause.
    :-]
    You got to talk to Chrishell Stause.
    :-)

9. Mindy says:

OMG, please, someone, somehow get that true AMC finale footage released! Please, please, please. Online? A special on television? I’ll even pay money for a DVD. Please, I want the non-screwed up ending.

Really, Crishell Stause, Susan Lucci, Michael Knight, anyone, if you could even just TELL us what was in it, how it was supposed to be, that would be *something* at least.

10. TV Gord says:

I don’t believe they ever shot the alternate finale. It was just talked about.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Re-read — she very clearly said that they shot the original “beautiful” finale early, because they only had Kate Collins for a certain window. Then scrapped that edit to accommodate the PP-friendly cliffhanger version.

• TV Gord says:

My mistake. Thanks for that. There’s HOPE, then! :-)

• dan says:

Same thing with Josh Duhmel’s guest appearance. They shot an alternate ending with him in ConFusion (the picture that was released showed him in a suit). That was supposedly the “flashforward” future scene for Leo and Greenlee; it was scraped when PP asked for the cliffhanger ending. Don’t know if other scenes were filmed, but at least we know there were two scenes (Amanda/Janet and Greenlee/Leo) showing the future of Pine Valley that we’ll never see now!

11. Tess says:

There had been a photo online for some time prior to the show’s finale that showed Josh Duhamel back as Leo dressed in a suit and he had noted in interviews that he he had taped two days but when Leo “returned” he was only shown in one all too brief scene. Rebecca Budig had also alluded to those other scenes they taped in an interview as well. Cady McClain I think also had mentioned there being other scenes taped for another ending.

It would be nice to have that alternate finale see the light of day either actually being aired on tv at some point or be released on dvd…but given that ABC never cared about finding a way to help make more money off the show (for the sake of keeping the show going) and clearly didn’t care about AMC’s fans, there’s little chance they would ever even consider letting that footage see the light of day. Shame though, we do deserve an actual ending; it’s the least they could do.

12. Kim says:

I forgot to say earlier that I adore Chrishell and can’t wait to see her on Body of Proof. She is absolutely gorgeous! And a fantastic actress.

13. lipsticksocialism says:

Even if ABC doesn’t care about the fans, it would at least make good business sense to edit & release the footage as a special. If they advertise it, enough people will watch it and Hoover would definitely buy ad space.

14. Rachel says:

Thanks so much for this interview. I adore Chrishell and thought she was terrific as Amanda on AMC. I’ll really miss seeing her on my TV every weekday. She’s a gorgeous young woman and a very talented actress, and I wish her nothing but the very best in whatever she chooses to do. She has a very bright future in show business and seems like a real down-to-earth sweetheart.

15. Eric says:

I loved Chrishell with long hair, but cutting her hair has made her look even more beautiful and sexy.

16. Kristin says:

I would absolutely be willing to buy a DVD of the AMC finale if ABC could atleast give us fans that much!! We’ll also need one of OLTL seeing as how they wrapped filming before PP made their announcement that it was a no go! This Friday is going to be a cliffhanger and well, damnit, we deserve some closure for all of these beloved characters!!