NBC's Munsters Remake: Let's Meet (and Cast) the New Family!

Get More: Casting News, News, Scoop

Halloween is long gone, so why do we have goosebumps? Maybe it’s because we now know the basic plot of NBC’s True Blood-meets-Modern Family reboot of The Munsters.

Basically, the clan starts over in a new town after 10-year-old Eddie learns that his relatives are all monsters. Of course, that he himself is a werepup remains a secret… for now!

Then again, we could also just be all a-tingle because, with Bryan Fuller writing the pilot and Bryan Singer directing, it almost has to be good. On second thought, that’s not it, either.

We’re actually on the edge of our seat because we just got a hold of the official character breakdowns, which means at last we get to play Armchair Casting Director!

HERMAN | TVLine recommends: Greek dean Alan Ruck. Although he’s a little older than the early-40s Frankendad he’d be playing, under all that make-up, who would notice anything but that his hangdog look brings to mind Fred Gwynne?

LILY | TVLine recommends: Buffy/Angel blood-sucker Juliet Landau. Yes, yes, I know it’s typecasting to suggest a vamp to play one. But you can’t deny she’d be scary-good as a ghoul who preys on the suicidal (so as to keep her conscience clear).

GRANDPA | TVLine recommends: Michael Chiklis. The former head of No Ordinary Family couldn’t be any further from the original Grandpa, Al Lewis — and that’s a good thing. The modern Munsters wants a younger Grandpa, a dangerous real lady (ahem) killer who’s got a thirst Tru Blood couldn’t possibly quench.

MARILYN | TVLine recommends: Anna Camp. You may not quite know her name yet, but trust me, you know her — most likely from True Blood (she was preacher’s wife Sarah) and now The Good Wife (she’s “smart blonde” Caitlin). And to know her is to love her. She’d be a hoot as the manners-minded “normal” Munster.

EDDIE | TVLine recommends: a newcomer. The Boy Scout who has no idea he’s destined to be Team Jacob is clearly going to be a role of the breakout variety. So I suspect it’s going to go to the next Rico Rodriguez or Chandler Riggs.

So, who do you think should be chosen to reinvent these classic characters? (See? I told you you’d get a turn!) The message board below is open for business…

Comments (69)

• I don’t have any suggestions other than … Stop remaking old shows! How about some fresh ideas out of Hollywood?

Comment by Kate – December 2, 2011 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Usually, I would agree, but this is Bryan Fuller, so it is sure to be genius. And canceled in three weeks.

Comment by Rob – December 2, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree! Bryan Fuller has been responsible for some of my all time favorite shows, 99% of which were cancelled too early. Say it with me, “We are the 99 and we want not to be cancelled!”

Comment by Laugh! – December 2, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I’d at least give it a try.

Speaking of Team Jacob, how about Boo Boo Stewart for Eddie?

And speaking of Buffy/Angel alumns, how about Julie Benz? All she needs is a wig and a break from A Gifted Man.

Comment by tvhabitblog – December 3, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t be silly, they’ll probably give him at least four. Honestly, this was pretty much my exact thought process. With almost any other creator, I’d stay far away. I’ve never even seen the old Munsters. However, I just can’t resist a Bryan Fuller show. I’ll have to at least check out the pilot.

Comment by Julie – December 3, 2011 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is SUCH a bad idea. What was funny about the original Munsters was the utterly cheesy silliness of it. It was not only completely silly, it KNEW it was silly and reveled in it. But these modern wunderkind directors and writers never get that aspect of superhero and monster stories. They not only take them seriously–they take them too seriously. They will attempt to explain how a Frankenstein monster and a female vampire have a wolfboy, and they will actually have Grandpa and Lily biting people’s necks, and the whole thing will be a piece of crap.

Comment by CJ – December 2, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you could name one show out of Hollywood that has been original, please PLEASE let us know, because you cannot

Comment by that dude – December 2, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBC Right On! forget the negativity of those jerks I don’t watch prime time, never do, but I will for this I love the Munsters and a remake would be great. Used to watch it as a kid looking forward to premere, Thanks.

Comment by richard munoz – May 24, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, Anna Camp is a no-brainer – she would rock it! Though isn’t this also a no-brainer moment to cast Brad Garrett as Herman Munster? He already does the impression in his standup.

Comment by Teresapalooza!! – December 2, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not Brad Garrett! Please relegate that man to the dumpster, not my TV.
      Alan Ruck is a great choice for Herman.

Comment by Kvivik – December 2, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • what are you talking about, there is no mention of Brad Garrett.

Comment by George – December 2, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why? Why? Why? The show was never ever funny. Should have left it in the graveyard…

Comment by All Powerful Oz – December 2, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YOU CRAZY OZ! The show was so funny… the new version will surely stink

Comment by WHAT – December 2, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tony Sirico as Grandpa. He already has the hair.

Comment by @ChicagoVince – December 2, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Herman: Brad Garrett (yes, too old prob for the part, but with his height and his dead pan timing, plus he does pretty well with dramatic roles)

Lily: I think they should go the Modern Family route and cast someone similiar to Sophia Vergara – someone not necessarily a household name here, but will immediately become our favorite actress

Marilyn: Def Anna Camp!!! (Broadway’s Equus, Pam’s sister on the Office)

Grandpa: OK, TOTALLY against type: Martin Short. Obviously has the comedic chops… Dramatic: see The Good Wife

Eddie: Unknown actor – but PLEASE dont do a stupid reality show to find that unknown

Comment by PhillyInDC – December 2, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or… if House doesnt return and Hugh Laurie decides to re-neg on his “I’m not doing a TV show again.” – then Hugh Laurie

Comment by PhillyInDC – December 2, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want a Pushing Daisies reunion–get Anna Friel back on TV as Lily.

Comment by cbnadler – December 2, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best casting idea I’ve seen in a long time!

Comment by Mark – December 2, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when will Hollywood stop remaking crap?
    didn’t they learn from recent disasters — Bionic Woman, Charlie’s Angels — just to name a couple

RIDICULOUS

Comment by PutAforkINit – December 2, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What about Hawaii Five-0 and 90210? Idiot.

Comment by Jesse – December 3, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Making a new version of this (again) is lame- but you HAVE to cast Brad Garrett as Herman. That’s the ONLY reason for this to even exist!

Comment by Ross – December 2, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For Eddie, I see eddie Alderson (Matthew Buchanan on One Life to Live). He is a fantastic actor, and would be perfectly suited to take on a prime time role after 10 years of learning on a soap opera.

Comment by Dave – December 2, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Too old. Eddie is supposed to be 10, according to this article.

Comment by Laura – December 12, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE the idea of making this more “real” if you will. I’m anxiously awaiting this show. Bryan Fuller has proven himself over and over again and I think Bryan Singer is perfect to direct.

Comment by Bobby – December 2, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds like Once Upon A Time mushed up with The Addams family.
    Just saying.

Comment by dessy – December 2, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes and it came BEFORE any of those. Not really a mash/mush-up when it pre-dates. Just saying.

Comment by Peng9803 – December 2, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know that. I can read.

Comment by Dessy – December 2, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “The Munsters” does NOT pre-date “The Addams Family.”

“The Munsters” tv show debuted September 24, 1964

“The Addams Family” tv show debuted September 18, 1964. It was based on the long-running series of cartoons by Charles Addams, published in The New Yorker magazine. His first Addams family cartoon was published in 1938, and he continued them for 50 years, until his death in 1988.

Comment by maggie – December 2, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittney Snow for Marylin.

Comment by Lil Jo – December 2, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If i was a casting director and hopefully some day i will. ill cast Brad Garrett (Everybody Loves Raymond) as the head family man Herman Munster, for Lily (rumor out of a job Cougar Town mom) Courteney Cox, crazy Grandpa ill love Robin Williams but he’s such a movie star so instead i’ll cast either Carl Reiner or Don Rickles (after laughing with them on Hot in Cleveland), Marilyn has to be a sexy girl next door so Adrianne Palicki (Friday Night Lights) is my choice, finally Joel Courtney (Super 8) as Eddie i love this kid

Comment by Andrew Perez – December 2, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shut your face about cougar Town being cancelled. It’s going to make it. IT HAS TO MAKE IT! PENNY CAN!

Comment by Asha – December 2, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Shut your face”? Classy.

News flash: Cougar Town is going to be cancelled. Not only is it a poorly written, unfunny show, but ABC clearly has no faith in it, given that they keep delaying it.

Cougar Town is a ridiculous show that is going to be cancelled. Deal with it.

Comment by Miffy – December 2, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not gonna be a comedy right? I f-ing love your suggestion of Juliet LAndau but damn you because now when she doesn’t get cast I’m going to be angry at what could have been! Eliza Dushku could make a good Marilyn.

Comment by Jason – December 2, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Herman – Tom Cavanaugh
    Lily – Gina Gershon
    Grandpa – Ray Wise
    Marilyn – Amber Heard
    Eddie – An unknown….

Comment by Richard – December 2, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Ray Wise is a great idea

Comment by Dave – December 2, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was leaning to Tony Sirico for Grandpa, But Ray Wise is brilliant!

Comment by @ChicagoVince – December 2, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess they havent learned their lesson from Charlies angels , Knight rider ,the bionic woman, huh?

Comment by joe – December 2, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think this will be different than those shows. They were just carbon copies in terms of format, I think this takes a (somewhat) beloved sitcom and makes it edgier and more relevant.

Comment by PhillyInDC – December 2, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not to mention Hawaii Five-0, Battlestar Galactica, and 90210.

Oh, wait…

Comment by Mark – December 2, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ashley Tisdale for Marilyn.

Comment by Mark – December 2, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just say NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don’t do this, it is very unnecessary.

Thanks

Comment by Ralph – December 2, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously!? I agree with most of you, this will not work. Save your money NBC! Bryan Singer hasn’t directed anything great since The Usual Suspects. He ruined the Superman and Xmen franchises, that’s why there’s the new movies coming soon. How about rebooting Gilligan’s Island! It would be Lost-Survival meets Revenge with a dash of Modern Family! Now that’s entertainment. NBC your welcome and I’ll be waiting for your phone call, LOL.

Comment by s. – December 2, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with the last suggestion of a Gilligan’s Island reboot but I am also interested in seeing what cast they actually do come up with for The Munsters. I don’t see why so many people object to it. I mean, what’s it matter to you?? If you don’t want to watch it, then don’t watch it! I love the idea of Brad Garrett as Herman; and I noticed that Marcia Cross is soon to be done with her Housewives stint so how about throwing a long black wig on her to play Lily; if Ernest Borgnine weren’t so old he would make a great Grandpa I think; someone earlier suggested Amber Heard for Marilyn which I liked; and it’s just too bad this wasn’t done back in 1990 because Roseanne’s Michael Fishman (D.J. Conner) would have been the perfect Eddie!

Comment by Jeff – December 3, 2011 02:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oops I meant Survivor! Sorry didn’t mean to upset any fans :)

Comment by s. – December 2, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will we NEVER learn?! When has a remake of a classic sitcom ever worked? Or a remake of any classic show. Charlie’s Angels, anyone?

Comment by Jamiah – December 2, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Camp would be wonderful! I loved her as the sectionals judge during the first season of Glee! That was probably my favorite scene, ever, from that show!

Comment by David – December 2, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t NBC view this as a summer show? I thought I read that. If so, I don’t get all the negativity towards it. It’s better than some summer reality garbage.

Comment by Matt – December 2, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Think brilliant Fred Gwynne. Who has that long chin and big eyes today? Jon Hamm? Brad Garrett seems obvious, but I’m sure he would make it “Robert as a monster”, so blah. You know who would work as a fantastic Lily Munster? Melinda Clarke!

Comment by gargumma – December 2, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that Brad Garret is an obvious choice for Herman. I’d like Bebe Neuwirth as Lily. And coming way out of left field, Bill O’Reilly as Grandpa. LOL

Comment by Templar – December 2, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cmon brad garrett as herman munster that is the obvious choice… he is herman munster…. born for the role

Comment by corey ackerman – December 2, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To answer the previous question posed by Jamiah, There is one previous show on the air now that’s a remake: Hawaii 5-0 and it’s in its 2nd season.

Comment by WKD2 – December 2, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Coming soon to a scrap heap near you: Reboots of Gilligan’s Island, Hogan’s Heroes, M*A*S*H and Dallas [whoops, that one is already scheduled.]. Leftovers, nothing but leftovers. Sigh

Comment by Templar – December 2, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dahlia Dark should be cast as Lily Munster. You’ve got it all wrong with Juliet Landau. Dahlia Dark is fresh faced and has more of Yvone DeCarlo’s sultriness and cheekbones.

Comment by Michael Weiss – December 2, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t the obvious Marilyn Kristen Bell?

Comment by Matt – December 2, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Herman- Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Julian McMahon, Robert Gant, or Liev Schreiber

Lily- Charlotte Ross, Anna Friel, Evangeline Lilly, or Leah Remini

Marilyn- Katie Cassidy, Diana Agron, Rumer Willis, or Carly Schroeder

Grandpa- Jim Beaver, Jerry Mathers, Jay Thomas, or Richard Lewis

Eddie- Dakota Goyo, Asa Butterfield, Joel Courtney, or Colin Ford

Comment by Mark – December 2, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HERMAN | TVLine recommends: Greek dean Alan Ruck. Although he’s a little older than the early-40s Frankendad he’d be playing, under all that make-up, who would notice anything but that his hangdog look brings to mind Fred Gwynne?

Uh, you can’t replace/remake his verison of Herman, just can’t. So you need to bring your own Herman to the show, not Gwynne’s. Because if you try to replicate his version of Herman you would ruin the show.

Comment by Thatdude – December 2, 2011 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristen Bell for Marilyn!

Comment by entwashian – December 2, 2011 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paul Wesley always look like a grown up Eddie to me, those eyebrows…

Comment by d – December 3, 2011 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whether it’s The Munsters or Charlie’s Angels, I feel insulted. As if I long for the retread! There’s more to this surge in ‘reboots’ and ‘remakes’ than meets the eye. It feels like an avalanche! The fact is, network television will inevitably plateau far below standard because of the changing nature of how and why we watch television. The boneheads at NBC keep throwing insults at its audience hoping for gold; eventually they will be absorbed. The only ‘network’ programming I watch is ‘The Good Wife’ and ‘Law & Order: SVU’, otherwise I get exponentially better story-telling and stimulation from cable. I check in, keep an eye out, give some things a chance, but ultimately I am left feeling manipulated and insulted. Here Come The Munsters!

Comment by Edenheart – December 3, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Herman- RON PEARLMAN!!!
    Lilly- Anna Friel
    Grandpa- Ernest Borgnine- i think having a younger grandpa is a terrible idea
    Marylin- Amber Heard
    Eddie- I have no idea.

Comment by jennifer – December 3, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristen Bell for Marilyn.

Comment by Dave – December 4, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually looking forward to the possibilities of this show. Take it for what it is and how it’s intended and don’t try to compare it to the original… that can’t be done. To make an exact remake of the original show is impossible. You cannot replace Fred, Yvonne or Al in the original roles.

That being said and knowing what I know about the new concept…

Herman: Alan Ruck or Ron Perlman
    Lily: Helena Bonham Carter
    Grandpa: Michael Chiklis
    Marilyn: Dakota Fanning or Kristen Bell
    Eddie: Bring in some NEW blood!

Comment by Mike – December 18, 2011 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Brad Garrett has the look and the voice to play The Munster Dad !

Comment by Darrell Hayes – January 30, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you Andy and Michael for attempting to cast for the characters and NOT the actors who used to play the characters!!!

Comment by Stu – February 2, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that Eddie should be a newer actor. – I think Seth Isaac Johnson who plays Denny Larsen in AMC’s The Killing would be perfect!!!

Comment by Sarah – February 4, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just looked him up on imdb and I totally agree that kid from The Killing would be a great Eddie!! Looks like the perfect age too! Check it out!!

Comment by Jorja – February 4, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Killing! I also think Seth would make a great Eddie! He’s wonderful on the show.

Comment by Adam – February 4, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Killing! Seth would be awesome. He’s wonderful on the show.

Comment by Adam – February 4, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brad Garrett from Raymond! He does an awesome imersonation and he’s tall. he’d be perfect!

Comment by Anita Adams Beasley – May 24, 2012 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post