Dexter Renewed for Two More Killing Seasons

Showtime announced on Friday that Dexter has at least two more killing seasons left in him, renewing the dark drama for a seventh and eighth cycle.

Dexter‘s enormous success is a real tribute to the great achievements of its cast, producers and the powerhouse performance of Michael C. Hall,” Showtime prez David Nevins said in touting the pick-up. “The series is bigger than it’s ever been in its sixth season… Together with Michael, the creative team on the show has a very clear sense of where they intend to take the show over the next two seasons and, as a huge fan, I’m excited to watch the story of Dexter Morgan play out.”

Series lead Michael C. Hall — who just inked a new two-year deal himself to make this extension possible — adds: “On behalf of the entire Dexter family, we relish the invitation to delve ever deeper into Dexter’s world.”

Dexter, which is currently two-thirds of the way through Season 6, will begin production on its 12-episode Season 7 in 2012.

What do you think, Dexter faithful? Are you curious to see how the show plans to keep Dex and his Dark Passenger alive-and-kicking for not just one but two more seasons?

1. Brandon Rowe says:

Will production will begin? Haha I love typos.

2. Rody says:

GREAT news! Many people say that Dexter barely has anything left to go on, but season 6 has proved to be one of the show’s best. Yes, like all shows, Dexter has its highs and lows but if any TV show deserves to go on for 8 seasons it’s this one…

• dude says:

That is why they are no big time tv show writers

• jemagu says:

No big time TV writers? So who do you think writes all these great shows you watch? There are big name TV writers, you just know their work, maybe not their names. Try looking up names like Damon Lindeloff, Vince Gilligan, Kurt Sutter, Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, Adam Horowitz, edwars Kitsis, oh, and some guy named JJ Abrams. Yeah, he’ll never do anything that sticks.

• Denny says:

Love the show! Hope they get back to who Dexter was. He’s lost some of his brilliant, carefulness-e.g. Dexter would never openly walk through DDK’s lair with nothing more than a needle or take an elevator up a high rise (campus slaying) sleuth-sly-ghost-genius Dexter come back!

3. Joe says:

Scary! Way too many serial killers out there for him!

LOL

Awesome news for an awesome show

4. chris says:

i kinda hope deb finds out about dexter at the end of the seventh season then we have a final season seeing the aftermath of what he did and how it effects everybody else

5. Maddie says:

Two more years should be it for Dexter. Love the show, but I don’t see it going beyond 8 seasons. Deb learning the truth about Dexter is the game changer the show needs to make the next two seasons compelling.

One constant on the show is that Deb has always trusted Dexter and considered him safe and a good guy. Next season could be really interesting if the dynamic changes and she’s suspicious, investigating her brother and ultimately finds out about his killer alter ego. The last season would be about her knowing the truth.

6. Girish says:

Best news ever! Dexter deserves more seasons. He’s one of the most compelling characters on the small screen.

7. alex says:

So what’s the twist?

8. Sahil Kothari says:

Awesome news!!!!! too excited to see how they go on for the next 2 seasons!!

9. Elizabeth says:

Yay!! I love Dexter!

10. Big Daddy says:

DEXTER FOR PRESIDENT!

11. Pete says:

I hope they can pull off a new cat & mouse-game like the brilliant Trinnity-season. Season 6 isn’t working for me, the villains aren’t that intriguing as they could be.
    Having said that, Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter are absolutely great!

12. Rebecca says:

Fantastic news!!! Dexter is a such extraordinary show!! Would love there to be more seasons!!! :-)

13. O says:

GREAT NEWS!!!!

14. Brigette says:

That picture of Dexter belongs on Awkward Family Photos.

15. D says:

This only becomes good news if Deb finds out THIS year.

16. Paul says:

The twist is that season 7 & 8 are likely to be the last as reported on Deadline.

17. Snapy says:

I hope the series ends with Season 8. The show has gone downhill since they stupidly killed off Rita.

18. s. says:

Wow. I thought they would at least agree to have one more season but two! Hooray! The good news is a nice early Christmas gift! I am very intrigued to find out how the evolution of Dexter will end! :)

19. kevin says:

DEXTER could definitely last eight seasons on Showtime but I predict the serial killer drama going to end in 2013.

20. Davey says:

I love this show, but I hope Deb dies! I’m so sick of her crying and swearing every 3 minutes! I don’t mind swearing, but it looks so freaken unattractive on her!

• Monkeyrat says:

Oh come on, that’s part of what makes the character so interesting and funny :D

She’s not your average tv girl. And actually her purpose in the show is not to speak like a victorian lady nor to make you drool over her you know ;) why the hate?

What about Mazuka’s “manners” then? Or Quinn’s? I’d take Deb swearing over Mazuka being a creep and Quinn being a jerk anytime… and I don’t even wish them dead. You can dislike a character without wanting to see them die.

• Gail hatty says:

I agree with Davey….Debby’s mouth is tiresome and i always mute her.

21. snowgoose says:

Could’t b happier! Dexter is never disappointing, and where ever the writers lead him will b enthralling.

22. Sarabi says:

At least this show is not going to be on the bench like Community or going through the shortened episode order like Cougar Town…

23. Dexterina says:

Of course I am Dexter obsessed and I am glad we’ll have two more seasons of Michael C. Hall’s mind blowing performances. I just hope they will end the show when it’s on top. So far, it’s been a great ride (even somewhat tepid season 5)!

24. Brit says:

I think that They should bring Lumen back for the 7th season she was one of my Dexter favorites! She already knows about Dexter so he doesn’t have to hide it , or even lie to her. plus she was really good with Aster when she was going through her little “rebellion” stage.

25. Randy says:

Lumen (Julia Stiles) is/was/continues to be my favorite character EVER. LOVE Her. Would contribute cash money to a “Bring Back Julia Stiles” fund just to cover her salary. I could even see her picking up if/after (far beit to ever happen) Michael C. Hall retires or tires or working. Lumen would be such an AWESOME female version of Dexter. LOVE HER.

26. Pilsburydopeboi says:

Hmm dexterette? I don’t see it. She said she was done. End of story. Period.

27. Tommye says:

Pls go more than season 8 best show ever!!!

28. Tblond says:

Excited for another two seasons. I would love to c Luman return. She is not only beautiful but also bright and a great love interest for Dexter. We want Luman!