Ratings: Community Ticks Up, Whitney Hits Low, Bones Is Thursday's Top Drama

So there’s this: NBC’s hiatus-bound Community this Thursday enjoyed the tiniest of upticks — a tenth of a rating point — to score a 1.6 in the coveted 18-49 demo while drawing 3.63 million total viewers (up 4 percent).

Later in the night — and this is just me being a shameless rabblerouser — NBC’s Whitney (4.1 mil/1.9), which is not being forced into a winter break, dipped 10 percent to a series-low demo rating.

Among other headlines, Bones (8.82 mil/2.8) gained 8 percent in the demo to reign as Thursday’s top-rated drama, besting fresh episodes of shows such as The Mentalist and the Private Practice fall finale.

Going hour-by-hour….

8 pm | The Big Bang Theory dipped a bit (to 14.8 million total viewers and a 5.2 rating) but still dominated the night on both counts; lead-out Rules of Engagement (11 mil/3.6) saw a 3 percent bump in the demo. The latest X Factor results show (9.46 mil/3.0) was down 9 percent week-to-week. Similar to lead-in Community, Parks and Recreation (3.7 mil/2.0) was up 11 percent in the demo.

Michael Slezak’s X Factor Top 10 Results Recap: Honey, I Flunk This Kid

9 pm | CBS’ Person of Interest (11.6 mil/2.6) easily led the hour in total viewers, while dipping a bit in the demo from its last fresh episode. Placing behind Bones/The Mentalist, Private Practice‘s two-hour fall finale averaged 7.2 mil and a 2.5, down 5 and 11 percent. Leading into the wilting Whitney, The Office (5.6 mil/2.9) slipped a few percentage points.

NBC Midseason Shake-Up: Community Benched, Whitney and Two Others on the Move

10 pm | The Mentalist (12 mil/2.5) dominated the hour in total viewers, but nonetheless was down 12 and 14 percent from two weeks ago. Trailing far behind Private Practice‘s back half, the dying-on-the-vine Prime Suspect (4.4 mil/1.1) dropped 10 and 15 percent, hitting a series-low demo.

All told, despite a mix of ups and downs, CBS scored its first Thursday demo win of the season, besting the rest with the 18-49 crowd.

What were you tuned into this Thursday night?

1. help us save community! send the NBC CEO & Chairman your evil beards! facebook.com/savecommunitytv and savecommunity.ca TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

2. Raksha says:

Community deserves more viewers!

3. Louise says:

Bones was freaking awesome last night, esp the BB scenes..so touching the way they reassured and listened to each other. They have stayed true to their characters and deserve to be supported by the fans and that’s why people are still tuning in.

• BonesForever says:

I agree. I LOVED the episode Thursday, and B&B were so adorable together. And Angela’s scenes were just too cute! Her expression while Bones was trying to “play” was priceless!

• ana muller says:

right? bones just keeps getting better. I am totally loving this season

4. Carissa says:

Can someone please tell me how Whitney has more viewers than Community in the first place? Is it the time slot? Because I can’t figure out how a show like that could possibly be performing better over the genius that is Community?? SAVE COMMUNITY!!!!
    And to any readers on this website who have never seen Community, please give it a chance. Watch an episode. I promise, you’ll be glad you did!

• jimmy says:

hear hear!!

• Carmichael says:

There’s an interesting thing I saw that said Community is number three with people that have four or more years of college. This just serves to confirm my theory that the average masses don’t like smart shows. How else can you explain Firefly dying and Fastlane getting a full season?

• Annie says:

Well, I’m a college dropout and I love the show. As the great Steve Allen said “Beware of assuming that credentials establish intelligence.”

• rose says:

True, but I don’t think it applies to every situation.
          Source: “Not everything applies to every situation”

Community is being overlooked by people who prefer “easy” shows. My family and friends stand testament to that. We live in a sheepish world. Sorry.

• Marie says:

Community has to start the night against The Big Bang Theory. Whitney is on after the Office and should get all those Office viewers – except it does not, it loses a lot of them.

Worse, Whitney just doesn’t fit with any of the other Thursday night shows (including 30 Rock). It comes across like an obnoxious stand up comic’s idea of a situation comedy which, of course, it is. All the other shows are character driven, Whitney just jumps from one joke set-up to another, lacks any character development and includes the most horrible laugh track.

• lacey says:

It’s possible that The Office viewers are just too lazy to change the channel so they’re still watching NBC when Whitney comes on. I don’t think she’s that funny letalone funny enough to be granted your own show.

5. Dara says:

#Not before Jeff and Annie have sex.
    #Let Jeff and Annie have sex!
    #Troy and Britta for the win.

• Mike says:

No its all about Troy and Annie, Jeff and Annie is creepy

• ana muller says:

I don’t see the appeal of Jeff/Annie I preferred Troy/Annie too. But I’m really not that interested in the romantic side of community, I don’t think it should be a show that revolves around that kind of stuff, it’s much more interesting to see their dynamic as a group.

6. Saint Alicia says:

Yay for The Mentalist! Last night’s ep was great, particularly because Cho and that hooker had mad chemistry :). Samaire Armstrong was pitch perfect–hope to see her again!

7. Alisa says:

I totally agree with you. I am a huge fan and it is the only show I ever watch live. I just can’t get enough of Bones!

8. David says:

The worst thing about Whitney is the laugh track. It is horrible. That alone got me to switch the channel.

• Carmichael says:

I agree, if a show’s funny enough it doesn’t need a laugh track.

• Christne says:

This is my point exactly! If a show has to tell me when to laugh, odds are the joke wasn’t funny.

If your show is funny, then people will get the jokes and they will laugh. It’s really as simple as that.

• Mike says:

BBT has a laugh track and its funny.

• Carmichael says:

It is indeed, same with How I Met Your Mother. I’m not saying that all shows with laugh tracks are bad and all without them are good, I’m just saying when a bad show like Whitney has a laugh track it just feels forced.

• Amely says:

Big bang theory does not have a laugh track, I think they have a live audience…

9. JC says:

Let’s see how Whitney does on Wednesdays come January. Without its Office lead in, I think it will be lucky to get a 1.5 in demo.

10. Ryan says:

@Carissa – Community is up against Big Bang Theory. There’s probably some crossover in their target audience.

#6SeasonsAndAMovie

• TigerNightmare says:

I have watched Big Bang Theory since the beginning. While I still mostly enjoy it, it just lacks the charm and the big punch the first couple seasons had. Every episode of Community feels like a brand new experiment and for those of you who won’t give Community a chance at all because BBT is on at the same time, shame on you. The irony is that the nerds would eat up a show like Community.

• Michael says:

I like to think of myself as a nerd and I’ll always watch Community over BBT. I’ve also never seen much of BBT.

A few of the things about the show kind of irk me. Like that one guy actually using an Alienware.

• TigerNightmare says:

Sonic screwdriver bump. That’s bothered me too. For nerds of Sheldon and Leonard’s caliber, who built a custom entertainment center for Penny in season one, they would do as I have done and buy top notch components to build their own computer from the bottom up.

• Jon says:

What’s wrong with alienware?

• TigerNightmare says:

Nothing that isn’t also wrong with Apple, Dell and HP. Real nerds build their own computers is all.

• torontogirl98 says:

I 100% agree, TBBT is loosing much of its appeal but every episode of Community is a new and unique experiment I love it more than anything on tv!

• Jessi says:

I watch both BBT and Community, but one usually ends up being DVR’ed and watched later. Surely the DVR numbers will bring Community’s numbers MUCH higher! Community is the show that I prefer to DVR because it is so awesomely subtle, sometimes I like to rewind and rewatch!

• cviddy says:

I only watch BBT on a lazy saturday. I’m caught up on both, but the writing on Community far exceeds the writing of BBT. BBT exploits nerd culture by selling it to the masses. True nerds watch Community.

• Christine says:

I watch both shows as well, but I usually watch BBT while I’m doing other things. Community needs your full attention because sometimes the most hilarious things are the subtle looks or one-liners that could easily be missed if your attention is else where.

I can’t figure out why more people aren’t watching this show.

• em says:

BBT was one of my go-to shows each week before they moved it to Thursdays, but now I just catch it online. The jokes seem a little lackluster and repetitive in its fifth season, and with Amy and Bernadette having lots screen time, the group’s dynamic has changed and I’m not enjoying it as much. Community, on the other hand, is one of the few shows I look forward to seeing every week live. I actually think that it may be even dorkier and geekier than BBT – understanding all the science that everyone is talking about in BBT isn’t as funny because the jokes were meant to be consumed by the mainstream, but many of the jokes in Community are directed towards very specific audiences who would catch certain references that the mainstream would not.

11. Keith says:

I would say that people do what I probably do and after I watch the Office the TV just stays on while I get ready for bed and dont really pay attention to Whitney – its like a holding place until the news comes on.

SAVE GREENDALE!

12. Maggie says:

Well we still have 3 episodes before the hiatus.. Our work has just started Community fans! And i’m happy about Whitney hitting low. Can’t believe people watch that crap

• Libby says:

Only 2 more episodes, unfortunately. It’s a movie on Thanksgiving.

Speaking of which, I miss the good ol’ days when it was all new tv on Must See TV on NBC. All of the extended family would gather together for Friends and ER.

13. Ruba says:

hope things pick up more and more for Community. I felt as if the episode is a hug from the show to its audience…though they did not know it at the time of writing/filming they sent a message of love and reminded those who forgot what Community is all about. Greendale is where I belong.

14. Holly says:

So, let me get this straight. Whitney lost a million viewers in the demo, to hit a 1.9? Whereas, Community against Big Bang Theory leads off the night with a 1.6? Can you imagine the demo Whitney would have in that 8 PM slot?

B.S. NBC.

15. Mia says:

Giving Whitney a full season order is one of NBC’s more noticeable blunders, which is seriously saying a lot. I don’t watch Community, but it’s at least clever and watchable. I would rather stare at the black tv screen than attempt watching Whitney again.

16. Matt says:

Really bummed to hear Prime Suspect’s doing so poorly, because Maria Bello’s giving great performances week after week. Why can’t NBC figure out how to keep great character-driven cop shows (first Life, now Prime Suspect) on the air and drawing viewers?

17. Liz says:

I usually watch The Office and Whitney from 9-10 because hey, why not, but I did not last night and will not again until Community is back on the schedule. NBC could have my business for 1.5 hours on Thursday night but will now get 0.

Don’t call it blackmail, call it ‘a night on my couch with Community’.

18. michelle says:

Love love Bones. Great show keeps getting better even w the change in dynamics.

• Christina says:

I’m really enjoying this season as well. It’s nice to have a break from all the doom and gloom we had last season with Brennan being depressed for the entire first half, and then Angela and Hodgins worrying their baby would be blind. Not to mention that I wanted to smack Booth for most of season 6, even after Hannah had left. Now I feel that he’s truly returned to himself.

19. JeffFan says:

For the first time I watched Community live without fast forwarding through commercials–hope it helped the ratings! Community must be saved–for the sake of all that is funny!

20. Alex says:

Someone connected to Whitney has some dirt on NBC. That’s the only explanation for that wretched show still being on. It should have been cancelled weeks ago. To make way for 30 Rock.

21. David says:

I tried to watch the Whitney pilot but was incredibly bored. I do think on the surface that maybe it appears NBC just has too many sitcoms leading to the Community hiatus. I think 30 Rock is better served in the 9:30 slot though but Up All Night certainly deserves a Thursday spot as it’s really the best new sitcom NBC has. It’s too bad they can’t find something to pair with 30 Rock in the 10:00 hour though. Prime Suspect was just horrible and I think 30 Rock paired with a similar sitcom could be good there.

22. Templar says:

Wilting Whitney, indeed. Is that stinking bouquet far gone enough to throw on the scrap heap yet?

23. Linda says:

Whitney is a CBS “comedy” that ended up on NBC. Parks & Recreation deserves the 9.30 time slot!

24. Girish says:

Is it just me or is Person of Interest’s episodes, while seemingly procedural this week, still tugged at the heartstrings. Damn, I love this show. It doesn’t even deserve to be called a procedural. It is on a whole new level of playing field. I missed The Mentalist last night.

• Renee says:

It’s not just you. Jim Caviezel can really get you with those eyes. I really love Person Of Interest too. It is literally the only show I watch live. I even record football and let it get an hour ahead so I can FF commercials.

• Girish says:

I’m a guy and I do agree with you. I always liked Caviezel’s works, his best being Passion of the Christ. After that, I think POI is his best yet. The emotions which his face doesn’t betray are emoted through the eyes. In this episode, seeing the ghost of his future in Charles Widmore (LOST character, I forgot the guys name in the episode) was so excruciatingly sweet. POI is my fav new show this fall.

25. Glad Community went up a little! I DVRed and watched when I got home, and I even convinced my mom to watch at my parent’s place. (And she liked it!)

26. Tater says:

Hey Community fans what do you all think about a Community fans/Chuck fans unite campaign where Chuck fans watch Community on thursdays and Community fans watch Chuck on Fridays…Now I know we can’t save Chuck (on NBC anyway) but we can still rescue Community, and hopefully get Chuck it’s 9 more episodes to get it to 100..Plus each show would get more viewers increasing dvd sales of both.I really think this idea could work…Could possibly even add other shows too as long as they air at seperate times/or nights of the week…So what do you guys think?? #CommunitySixSeasonsAndAMovie + CHUCK100EpisodesAndAMovie

So what do you all think…Lets help each other..Help each show Go Out with A BANG!!

• Chris says:

I’m down! Chuck and Community are my top 2 shows, and I’d love for both of them to receive the proper viewership they deserve. Those two shows have so much in common anyway, from their fun premises to the fiercely loyal fans. Plus, their cast (Captain Awesome and Abed!) crosses over each other’s shows already. Gotta love the love-fest. The fanbases can combine!

• Tater says:

I agree..Chucks 4 million Nielson viewers + Community’s 7 million viewers could get both shows some good numbers..I would just love to think that for once NBC really dreaded losing both of these cleverly scripted shows. #Time2takeNielsondown

27. Elizabeth says:

Ugh. Don’t even want to think about my tv world without Community. This show never fails to make me laugh & put a smile on my face.

Save Community!!! Why must one of the most hilarious, creative shows be pulled for an overdone, unfunny one?!

28. Liz says:

Bones is back 5.baby and flaming. The lab with Cam back in charge is off the chains. Last nite the case, all the scenes were some of the best we’ve had since season The B&B cuddling and playing gun were sweet, leading the way to becoming a couple.
    The ratings are on the mark, Bones is back.
    I wish we’ll get some Booth and Cam this season???

29. Jean-Jeanio says:

Prime Suspect can go to Wednesdays at 9, and Community can go to Thursdays at 10.

30. M says:

Zap 2 it said Whitney had a 2.6 rating

31. Bonesfan851 says:

Bones all the way!

32. kevin says:

I always feel a little sad to watch my faves on Thursday nights and many network shows have seen their highs and lows but I think PERSON OF INTEREST is definitely my favorite new show of the season and let’s hope NBC can feel the same way about COMMUNITY.

• Sg. Grant says:

I always feel a little sad to read posts with no grammar or punctuation and many if not all of your posts are this way but I think THESE RIDICULOUS RUN-ON SENTENCES are definitely the worst of the comments and let’s assume you are a complete MORON.

• Renee says:

Bitchy much? If you don’t like it, stop reading it.

• Girish says:

We get it. Your need to boss over others since you may be an ex-military personnel now and feel the need to humiliate people so that you can sleep peacefully in the night. But what is ridiculous is you commenting over others grammars. Get over it dude!

• tripoli says:

He’s right though.If you can’t write a proper sentence, stay off the internet and invest in some schooling. People have become ridiculously lazy and it’s terribly annoying to weed through the utter nonsense that is someone[‘s excuse for a comment.

33. Jon says:

I watch both Community and TBBT, but Parks & Rec is by far the best comedy on Thursday nights. I think it has the best ensemble cast of any show, aside from maybe Modern Family. Ron “F-ing” Swanson.

34. Tania says:

Excellent episode of Prime Suspect last night. It’s unfortunate that many aren’t watching it. Well, NBC gave up on it; but hey, they green lit the rebooting of The Munsters. @#$&*^!

35. Joel says:

I’m not a huge “Whitney” fan (though c’mon, it’s better than more Tim Allen crap)…but just wanted to point out that there isn’t a laugh track. Every show starts with her saying it’s filmed in front of a live audience. I know there is plenty of lying in the TV industry, but that would be a bit much if it weren’t true.

36. Beth Ann says:

I still can’t imagine how Sh*tney Cummings has managed to stay on the schedule as long as she has – I don’t watch Community but please keep that series on – any series, actually – just banish Whitney to the white trash heap where she belongs!

37. Laura says:

i love all this hate for Whitney, its pretty hilarious
    i LOVE Greendale and NBC better get its act togethor

38. Ethan says:

Cancel Whitney and replace it with Cougar Town! Come on ABC, grow a brain!

39. D says:

Six seasons and a movie!