How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: Ugly Betty's Becki Newton to Romance Barney!

You snooze, you lose, Robin.

How I Met Your Mother producers have found a new girlfriend for Barney, and this time they’re not playing around (no offense, Nora).

Much-missed Ugly Betty scene-stealer Becki Newton is joining the CBS hitcom as a potential love interest for Neil Patrick Harris’ brokenhearted cad, TVLine has learned exclusively.

And this isn’t some quickie fling. I’m told Newton will recur throughout the show’s current seventh season, with her first episode slated to air in January. The arrival of her character — named Quinn — comes on the heels of Barney’s breakup with Nora (Nazanin Boniadi) and subsequent rejection from Robin (Cobie Smulders).

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Grey’s AnatomyRingerGossip GirlCastleHouse and More!

Since wrapping Ugly Betty nearly two years ago, Newton has headlined the short-lived NBC anthology series Love Bites, and was a regular in the ill-fated CBS comedy pilot Home Grown. As she told TVLine over the summer, it was while shooting the latter that she “discovered my love of sitcoms… I had never done a mutli-cam show before, and I absolutely loved it. The next step will be to play a sassy role on a multi-cam show!”

Wish granted!

Thoughts? Are Harris and Newton a match made in TV heaven? Or are you too devoted to Barney and Robin to even ponder such a question? And here’s something else to chew on: Might HIMYM execs be plotting a season-ending bait-and-switch, climaxing with the Mother of all reveals? Just putting that out there. Discuss in the comments.

Want HIMYM Scoop and Spoilers 24/7? Follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Comments (278)

• A perfect casting. If only she was the mother.

Comment by Steph – November 16, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Na… She looks better with Barney than Ted. A match made in HIMYM heaven. I hope she’s more like Lily than Robin or Nora. Someone who can control Barney and let him at the same time.

Comment by Furrina – November 16, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • agreed! Love becki newton and love that she will around for more than one episode!

Comment by jen – November 16, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes! That’s what I mean, more like Lily. Lily gives Barney direction, but still let him be him. I think they make a great couple and I hope this Quinn is Barneys bride.

Comment by Pitta – November 17, 2011 03:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything to keep Robin and Barney apart is fine by me…

Comment by Chris – November 16, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. So glad Barney and Robin did not end up together in the last episode.

Comment by Carm – November 16, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree^

Comment by Ali – November 16, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m so glad other people don’t want to see them end up together. I actually kinda wish Don would come back…

Comment by Elly – November 16, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The only way I’d allow Barney and Robin NOT to get married is if she married Don….Here’s a thought…maybe Barney’s wedding is a double wedding! Barney and Robin marry Becki Newton and Don, respectively.

Comment by Ann – November 16, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • that would actually be pretty great!! great idea!

Comment by Yann Suñer – November 16, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If people remember from some time ago last season there was a guy that robin almost got with but didnt and then future ted (bob saget) said that there will be more on that later, so i think she might end up with him

Comment by Vaughn – November 16, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • YES! That is the story line that I’m waiting for.

Comment by Ali – November 16, 2011 04:44 PM PDT
          • yeah, but that guy isn’t returning ’cause now he’s doing his own show. That’s why they brought in Kal Penn.

it was in in article for himym some months ago

Comment by stephanie – November 16, 2011 08:07 PM PDT
          • Executive producer craig thomas et carter bays said that he would’nt last…

Comment by Mar – November 20, 2011 12:42 PM PDT
          • what guy?

Comment by cailin – December 21, 2011 03:06 PM PDT
      • I cannot believe anyone would want Robin to marry Don. He was horrible! If you don’t want her to end up with Barney, that’s fine, but surely they could come up with a better love interest for Robin than Don.

Comment by seriously – November 16, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed! He stole her job that she gave up FOR HIM! UGH! Team Swarkles forever.

Comment by Ava – November 16, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I like the guy she met in the clothing store with Ted and then again at the Dance club. Remember he called his buddy on the phone and said he saw that girl again and the narrator Ted said she did meet him again but that’s another store.

Comment by Melissa – November 16, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Wasn’t that storyline scrapped when the actor in a show or movie? If I remember correctly that’s why Kevin was brought in b/c they didn’t want to do that specific storyline without that one actor.

Comment by jamie – November 16, 2011 05:49 PM PDT
      • I always thought that Don would be back because I thought when Ted was telling the story to the kids he called him “Uncle Don.” Maybe I’m just misremembering, but I’ve always thought we would see him again. Hope we do!

Comment by Kelly – November 16, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • pretty sure he was never called “uncle don”

Comment by Jack P – November 16, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • pretty sure he was called donald duck once?

Comment by David – November 16, 2011 06:03 PM PDT
        • Kelly- I have always thought he called him Uncle Don once, too. I am glad to know I’m not the only one!

Comment by Tracy – November 16, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You are wrong, I have watched the entire season 5 again, and all Ted said was:
            Kids, and thats how Aunt Robin met Don”

Comment by Babar Suhail – November 20, 2011 12:06 AM PDT
          • He was never called Uncle Don to my knowledge

Comment by Jakes – December 10, 2011 09:40 PM PDT
        • This never happened! I rewatched the Don time to specifically listen for it. This is some kind of internet rumor that was probably started by Don fangirls.

Comment by Asha – November 16, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • There are Don Fangirls?

Comment by Cy – November 16, 2011 03:49 PM PDT
      • Don, holly crap that guy was more boring than Ted is.

Comment by Blasto – November 17, 2011 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I hated Barney and Robin together from the very beginning. I liked Robin with Don and Barney with Nora.

Comment by Lindsey – November 17, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more! The last episode was awful and it was only because of putting those two together again.

Comment by nonabgo – November 16, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! I can’t STAND them together so I’m glad I don’t have to stop watching just because their scenes want to make me throw up. Yuck. They are just not good together, but Neil and Cobie have such amazing chemistry together as friends so I hope Barney and Robin stay on good terms.

Comment by Marisa – November 16, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • couldn’t agree more!!
      i love barney and robin’s great too but together… not so awesome. i really hoped that he’s gonna end up with nora though…

Comment by Lexy – November 16, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!!!

Comment by Karen – November 16, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • couldn’t agree more!

Comment by Anna – November 22, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great, the only good thing about Nora leaving was it put a stop to the scary posts from crazy shippers, now they’ve got another target in character I’m probably going to love (how could I not, it’s Becki Newton!)

Comment by Ben – November 16, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this means barney will not even have enough time to grief? c’mom!

Comment by nath – November 16, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Barney isn’t the grieving type not even after his break-up with Robin. Barney gets over one relationship by moving on to another.

Comment by Jakes – December 10, 2011 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well that settles, my two favorite blondes on TV becoming a surely hilarious power couple? Best news all day.

Comment by Ryan – November 16, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I was a total RoBarn fan, but she’s clearly not ready for Swarley.

Comment by Annie – November 16, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I adore Becki Newton. I still mourn not having the Amanda/Mark/Betty friendship on my TV every week. That being said, I’m so over the back and forth with Barney/Robin. I’m sure I’ll enjoy her, I always do, but still….

And she can’t be the mother, unless Ted doesn’t meet her til the wedding. Which seems unlikely. They established Barney’s wedding is where he meets the mom. (For a sitcom, the mythology is sure complicated! LOL)

Comment by Melissa – November 16, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What if Ted never met her until the wedding but she became friends with Barney and/or Robin (or some other woman who ends up becoming Barney’s future bride) and ended up getting invited to the wedding? Given the convoluted nature of the show, wouldn’t it be just perfect if we met the mother, didn’t know her as the mother and got to know her? It seems like something the writers would do …

Comment by Amar – November 16, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Barney wouldnt be so inconsiderate and not introduce a lady who’s a perfect match for Ted, and i dont think Robin would be like that either..

The mother has to be so notorious that if anyone of the gang met her before Ted, they would notice she’s perfect for Ted.. So I really dont think your theory could be all right, except for the bride, it obviously has to be friends with the bride or something like that.

Comment by Eddie – November 16, 2011 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The mother is Barney’s half sister, Carly that we haven’t met yet. I think we’re supposed to assume Barney hasn’t met her yet either.

Comment by Ryan – November 28, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Season 1 episode 9 “Belly full of turkey” Ted tells the children Tracy/Amber the stripper is their mother and they get shocked. Surely they wouldn’t if their mom’s name isn’t Tracy…

Comment by Jakes – December 10, 2011 09:55 PM PDT
  • Love Becki Newton – hate her in this role, if only because she’s allegedly coming between Robin and Barney.

I love the idea of her winding up as the Mother, though – I’d be all for it.

Comment by Bailey – November 16, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is Legendary. Seriously, she’s a perfect foil for him if they make her sassy. I’ve never really cared one way or the other about Barney/Robin and never been a Robin/Barney ‘shipper, so I’m not dying for the bride to be Robin. Sometimes their chemistry just seems too forced.

Comment by Jessi – November 16, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • all these characters have WAY too many relationships

except for the married duo, theyve each had about 50 SERIOUS relationships

it’s so unrealistic

Comment by PutAforkINit – November 16, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Barney has only had 3 serious relationships: Coffee bar girl (from when he was like 16), Robin, and Nora. All the others were one night stands or cheap flings. Robin has only had 2 (3 if you count Kevin, currently) serious relationships: Don and Barney. All the others were cheap flings. How is that unrealistic?

Comment by Ann – November 16, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Have you met Ted?

Comment by Matt – November 16, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ^ BEST COMMENT ALL DAY

Comment by Yujin – November 16, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Made my day!

Comment by Cy – November 16, 2011 03:51 PM PDT
        • tinyurl.com/winoneinternet You win.

Comment by SixIfYouCountTheLion – November 16, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s still only 4. I’m counting Kevin. I’m also going to count Simon and make it 5. That’s still a realistic number of relationships.

Comment by Katie – November 16, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • lol

Comment by sara – November 16, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i think you’re forgetting someone… TED!! ted was a serious relationship!

Comment by Karina – November 16, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMANDA MEETS BARNEY, SPIN-OFF NOW.

Comment by Mafalda Neto – November 16, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hm. I have maintained that I am not convinced that Barney actually gets married on the day of his wedding (he is nervous, not sure that he picked the right “tie,” and if I remember correctly Lily is confused as to why the bride wants to see Ted (I doubt shed be confused if it was Robin!) Barney+Robin 4 ever!). Could this be his bride?! If Robin is the reason none of Ted’s relationships last….How much more so would/should this be for Barney (who on balance has been in love with Robin for much longer)?

Comment by Heather – November 16, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loveee Becki but she cant be the mother – they said ted meets the mother at Barney’s wedding and surely he would have met her before hand if Becki is the one Barney is getting married to. Although it would be awesome if she was the mother!!

Comment by cd – November 16, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Imma burst your bubble right there–you can go back through the tvline articles but there’s an interview with the creators from earlier this year (after season 6 ended).

They only confirmed one thing: This 100% Barney’s wedding, he isn’t going to do a fake-out. He is 100% legit getting married so the only question is: who?

Comment by J – November 16, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I did mean Barney’s bride and yes it’s his wedding (as in not teds) but they never said anything about him actually going through with it

Comment by Heather – November 17, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, they did.

“It’s not a wedding day that will go completely smoothly, but it will end with Barney being married. It’s not a fake-out. It’s not going to be something where he runs away from it. Barney Stinson will get married that day, and we will show to whom and exactly how it goes down.”

On TVLine, actually.

Comment by anon anon – November 17, 2011 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Lawyered!

Comment by Lindsey – November 17, 2011 08:03 PM PDT
          • Unless he marries a different tie. Sure he’ll get married, but what if he switches ties?

Comment by anon – December 20, 2011 01:10 PM PDT
  • WHAT? I love her, but i want Robin & Barney!!!!

Comment by Alberto – November 16, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it is robin and barney as we all remember that in the 1st episode of season 7 lily told ted that the bride is calling him so why would quinn call ted and in season 6 episode 12 robin asked ted to be his best man so robin is calling ted as she is also having some pre wedding jitters.

Comment by manav – April 17, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, LOVE, L O V E this casting scoop! So excited to see Becki Newton again, even if she is with Barney. I hope she turns out to be the mother.

Comment by Lesley – November 16, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agreed! I sometimes think I am the only one who doesn’t like Barney/Robin together.

Comment by Savannah – November 16, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I FIRMLY dislike the Robin/Barny relationship

Comment by Jeremy – November 16, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was curious to see how it played out, but I think its just too weird for them to get back together.. awkward.

Also from season 6 I thought Nora was something more serious, she seemed so clueless on season 7, seemed like the writers were trying to get rid of her asap.

Comment by Eddie – November 16, 2011 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I seriously do not like Barney & Robin together!
      I honestly thought Nora was going to be Barney’s bride & was shattered when they started portraying Nora in a different light this season, compared to season 6 where she looked like a serious contender to me.
      And then, they obviously broke up because of… ROBIN!!

Comment by Anna – November 22, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Becki Newton AND NPH??? i am verklempt and i ain’t even jewish. don’t call me on Mondays folks. i won’t be answering my phone.

Comment by Russ & Scott – November 16, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Barney and Robin back together, but not right now, so I think it’ll be good for Barney to date someone new, since his relationship to Nora wasn’t that great. And I like Becki Newton, so I think she’ll be a good addition to the show.

Comment by III – November 16, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This about sums it up for me. Barney and Robin are endgame, so we need an interesting storyline to kill the time between now and (at least) the end of this season, when we flash forward to Barney’s wedding. Becki Newton should fit the bill quite nicely.

Comment by Ace – November 16, 2011 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahh!! this show is killing me–first mondays episode and now this!! O well, this Barney/Robin shipper aint giving up :)

Comment by Brenna – November 16, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a Robin/Barney fan, but after Robin rejected him last week, it’s obvious he’s going to try to move on a bit. I just hope they play this storyline better than the Nora one, and that Barney and Robin end up together in the end.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – November 16, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Nora was perfect. I’m not very happy with the idea that Nora is replaced by someone else

Comment by Rebecca – November 16, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah from season 6, how barney skipped a hearbeat, how he couldnt like to nora and all those bs, all of that just to get rid of her like this in the end, mm dam.

Comment by Eddie – November 16, 2011 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • completely agree! i hate how the writers made it look like barney’s completely in love with nora in season 6, no interest in robin, and this is how the storyline turned out. pretty shattered & disappointed

Comment by Anna – November 22, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was actually upset with Robin bcuz of what she did but hmmmmm this should be interesting. Im all for the barney and robin thing but they could play with this for a whie

Comment by Cheyenne – November 16, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything I read on this site I fail to believe. She may be joining the cast, but you also have to remember that Ted is slated to meet “the mother” this season. So…. why think this girl is going to be Barney’s love interest? I ultimately think Barney is going to marry Robin, otherwise why would they be keeping the secret? You start to think it was Nora, but then Barney and Robin reconnected and Robin also showed the same need and want to be with Barney and show her true feelings for him. To quote the man himself, “Come on, pull your head out of your ass.”

Comment by SpydR – November 16, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Had you watched the show, you’d know that Ted will meet the mother at Barney’s wedding, so Becki will NOT be the mother. And we think she is going to be Barney’s love interest basically because it was announced. Read the article too, don’t read the title and skip to the comments.

Comment by JCF – November 16, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The casting spoilers on here are usually correct. Ausiello sometimes goes a little wild with his own theories and presents them as fact (House, anyone?) but he told us about Nora (though I think it was “Sarah,” at the time) around this time last year. So I’d trust that she’s definitely a potential love interest for Barney.

Comment by anon anon – November 17, 2011 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ted will not meet her this season, the wedding is next season. This season will end with Lili giving birth and the guys in the Casino (Barney still wears the duckie tie).

Comment by Ahhhhh – November 18, 2011 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO D,:

Comment by michelle – November 16, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as he marries Robin at the end, it’s fine by me…

Comment by RCFan – November 16, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on guys! Robin and Barney are meant to be together! Hopefully this unnecessary relationships (Kevin&Quinn) wouldn’t last longer.

Comment by Ceyda – November 16, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I dont like that Kevin the therapist, it doesnt even match Robin man… such a screwed up couple, even worse than Robin and the other muscle guy

Comment by Eddie – November 16, 2011 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can you not like Barney/Robin?! They’re AWESOME together they must be together but yeah, after what Robin did she should suffer a bit and barney have a good time. I just hope they will end up together eventually

Comment by Javi – November 16, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely LOVE Becki Newton and I’m so excited for her to join the show.

Comment by alyssa897 – November 16, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After the way Robin broke Barney’s heart, I would be ok if they don’t get back together. I think Becki is a great casting choice and I can’t wait to see her and barney together.

Comment by Imani – November 16, 2011 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How to find out if Becki Newton’s character is going to be Barney’s wife:

See if Future Ted refers to her as Aunt Quinn. Boom.

Comment by Yujin – November 16, 2011 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think the writers of the show are that stupid to do that, lol.

Comment by SpydR – November 16, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or see if they say something like, “Kids, you remember Quinn.” They did that with Nora and it was a subtle way to indicate that she was not Barney’s bride without banging it over our heads. I.e., if Nora was still around, the kids wouldn’t have to “remember” her, they’d know her.

*POSSIBLY NEW SPOILERS BELOW*

Also, why hasn’t Ausiello reported that HIMYM is casting Robin’s kids “a blonde boy and a brunette girl.” It’s everywhere else in the spoiler world.

Comment by anon anon – November 17, 2011 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that EVERYONE is forgetting about Robin’s “crush” who was introduced last season. Remember? They had initially met when she was with Ted, and the episode let us know that we would be seeing him again. THIS is the guy who may beat out Barney, not Don.

Comment by Alison – November 16, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This guy got signed to a new TV show so he won’t be back, despite what they’d planned last season.

Comment by Mandy – November 16, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Awwww man. No I have been waiting for her “Crush” to come back. That’s who I thought she would marry.

Comment by Melissa – November 16, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! i so want Robin and Barney to get together but this is awesome casting, i love Becki Newton. Cant wait to see her on the show!

Comment by Jake – November 16, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I think that Barney will marry Robyn. If you remember the scene at Barney’s Wedding, the bride wanted to talked to Ted so it has to be Robyn.

Comment by DVE – November 16, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Early prediction: The wedding finally happens at the conclusion of this season and the producers hire Lea Michelle to play Ted’s future wife, especially since the HIMYM producers seem dead set on pilfering Fox series castoffs… or at least House cast members.

Comment by Scot – November 16, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m kind of in the belief…or maybe it’s wishful thinking…that we never see Ted’s wife’s face. I’d be happy if we saw her from behind and learned about what a great match she is for him…I don’t the Mother to be forever attached to a big name star like Katie Holmes was attached to the Slutty Pumpkin. I vote, either we never see her face OR they get an unknown actress to play the Mother.

Comment by Ann – November 17, 2011 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If I were the writers, I would just end it with Barney saying to Ted’s future wife, “have you met Ted?” and they pan out with Ted talking to her under a yellow umbrella without showing her face. With future Ted saying, “Kids, that’s how I met your mother.” I mean I am torn between them showing us the mother since the series has been on for so many years, but personally, if this was my show and I was writing it, I wouldn’t even reveal what the mother looks like. It would be a clever way for each person to envision what she looks like because I feel that no matter what, people will probably be disappointed with the choice since it has taken so long.

Comment by riley33 – November 18, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • For me it’s not so much who the actress will be playing the “Mother” but more, how does the “mother” factor in with everyone else. We all know she’s at Barney’s Wedding and that she’s supposedly (Ted’s one-time date) Cindy’s University room-mate. But why would she be at Barney’s wedding? My theory is thus, revolving around one MAJOR plot revelation made in the “Legendaddy” episode (i think) – Barney’s half-sister Carly. Barney would obviously invite all his family members to his wedding, including his half-sister. It is then revealed that Carly is Cindy’s room-mate. I also like to think Barney & Robin do get married and therefore, whenever Future Ted has been telling his kids stories about their Uncle Barney and Aunt Robin, they actually are their actual Uncle & Aunt…plus, how much joy would it give Barney for him to rub the fact that he and Ted are actual brothers (by marriage) in Marshall’s face?

Comment by nickstrel – November 22, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I completely agree with the Carly theory. I’ve been saying this since that episode, it makes sense in so many ways.

Comment by Ryan – November 28, 2011 10:34 AM PDT
          • What about Uncle Marshall and Aunt Lily they aren’t actual family plus Season 1 episode 9 “Belly full of turkey” Ted tells the children Tracy/Amber the stripper is their mother and they get shocked. Surely they wouldn’t if their mom’s name isn’t Tracy…

Comment by Jakes – December 10, 2011 10:08 PM PDT
  • Wow, I just realized, Becki Newton would have made a BEAUTIFUL Mrs. Mosby though she doesn’t match up age wise =/

But she looks like she would go great on Neil Patrick Harris’s arm as well!

Comment by J – November 16, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i also agree with that. robin kepps switching guys ted barney ted barney kevin

Comment by susan bitler – November 16, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We still have to revisit the guy from the bar that she first met when Ted bought the boots. I don’t like Don, either. They didn’t feel right together. But Kevin doesn’t, either…

Comment by Megs – November 16, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That actor got signed to another TV show, he won’t be back on HIMYM.

Comment by Mandy – November 16, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nobody even knows that guy’s name or remembers what he looks like. Of course they can bring back the character!

Comment by Cy – November 16, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Except that the actor they used was a pretty well-known guy: Michael Trucco from Battlestar Galactica. You can’t just sub an unknown in for him.

Comment by Ace – November 16, 2011 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • what’s battlestar galactica?

Comment by beth – November 18, 2011 06:34 AM PDT
  • NOOOOOO :( agh, that last episode was seriously depressing – with the rose petals?! – and this is only going to prolong the suffering. I like Becki Newton, but I’d really like Robin and Barney to just get it together already!

Comment by Rachel – November 16, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree brilliant but devastatingly sad episode, and why didn’t Ted say something?? Roro and Barntrooper all the way!

Comment by Jakes – December 10, 2011 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, we saw Barney and Ted at Barney’s wedding….so I think Barney is set to marry Quinn, really still wants Robin. Quinn asks to see Ted, confesses she loves him instead and she IS the mother.
    Wonder if she’ll be introduced as “Aunt Quinn” in January……

Comment by J.J. – November 16, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In one of the episodes Robin asks Ted to be her best man. In a “flash forward” we see Barney talking to Ted at his wedding and then the bride calling Ted in too… coincidence? probably not. but… i really want Barney and Ted to end up getting married. I don’t want Nora out of the picture so maybe she can marry Ted? hmm.. strange turn of events.

Comment by HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER ADDICT – November 16, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Mother can’t be Nora because Ted meets the mother on Barney’s wedding day…and I believe she’s already met the gang. Plus, Ted’s kids don’t look half Indian…

Comment by Ann – November 17, 2011 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Also my theory about Ted being Robins best man as well as Barney’s but as other people pointed out Lily looks confused when calling him, wouldn’t she know of the arrangement if it is Robin?

Comment by Jakes – December 10, 2011 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want Robin and Barney end together..I love Robin and Ted together,but it’s impossible :(
    I love this show,but i wanted another ending.

Comment by stella – November 16, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ya,you’re right…i also thought they were destined to be together….but that seems to be impossible…….right nowwww….

Comment by andy – November 16, 2011 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No. Not “right now.” Not ever. Robin and Ted will not end up together. They were a good couple, but it has been established since the FIRST EPISODE that they will not end up together.

Comment by anon anon – November 17, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Becki Newton is probably the only actress they could have cast that I would have been ok with Barney picking over Robin – yes, I know he picked Robin and she did not pick him (still not happy about that turn of events even though I knew it would not be that simple!). I LOVE Becki Newton and think this is a brilliant move. Having her as Amanda would be fun but she’s good enough to make us love her as Quinn, too!

Comment by Kristen – November 16, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve liked the characters Becki Newton has played on other shows. Hopefully her character will bring some life back into HIMYM as the show has really gone down hill. This past weeks episode was terrible and the slutty pumpkin revisited was even worse. Have the writers of the show changed because I feel the half hour show I used to look forward to each week has become a waste of time and I only watch via dvr anymore.

Comment by Kim – November 16, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has everyone forgotten the episode where ted and robin pretend to be together to impress barney’s dad? In that episode Robin meets a guy at a bar that she had met at a shop while dating ted. At the end of the episode narrator ted says that it isn’t the end of that referring to robin and the bar/shop guy. Nothing can or will happen with her and barney at least until she hooks up with bar guy.

Comment by Kate – November 16, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you obviously have not read other articles, or even previous comments in here. It has been mentioned many times that the guy with the ugly shirt who was supposed to be Robin’s love interest, is not coming back, because the actor got another gig. (Kevin was/is kind of his replacement as in the story line that was meant for that guy, we are seeing now with Kevin) ted’s “more on that later” lines don’t always turn out to be the way initially intended. So no, she most likely won’t date that guy, or marry him.

As for the casting news. I have to confess that I am not familiar with the actress, but I’m waiting to see where this goes. I’m glad this answers at least one question – who are the two ties Barney mentions in the scene from his future wedding. Robin and Quinn.

As much as I really do not like how in TV series they get the couples timing wrong many times, and how it feels a little that this time the timing should have been right for Barney and Robin, I guess third time’s the charm. Because I can’t shake the feeling that even though his new relationship is going to be serious and perhaps even interesting, that everything they story has been telling us so far points too clearly to Barney and Robin being the endgame. I wonder if he’ll choose her right away, or is he gonna re-think on the last minute, like on the wedding day.

So far I’ve liked how they’re telling the story, so I’m okay with the few story arch that haven’t been too interesting to me. If they continue to make me laugh, and cry, and more, then I’ll take it. But my humble wish is that after so much time spent on B/R story, they won’t just throw that away, and in the twist of events won’t get them together in the end. because that would make absolutely no sense. ;)

Comment by hmm – November 17, 2011 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why even make barney have a girlfriend. The show was much funnier when he was chasing strange, they’re making barney lose his way. With that said the show is still good.

Comment by lu – November 16, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s all about character development in the final episode of season 5 Ted says”Eventuall over time we all become our own doppelgangers, these completely different people who just happen to look like us.”

I also love the single suit wearing “Daddy’s home” Barney but after 200+ girls the question was always “what’s next”?

Comment by Jakes – December 10, 2011 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barney and Robin MUST get married. He’s truly in love with her and she’s in love with him. She’s just too blinded by how nice Kevin is but he’s not what she really wants. Barney is so sweet when he wants to be and totally deserves to be with Robin. I REALLY hope they end up getting married.

Comment by HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER ADDICT – November 16, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree on the point that Kevin is not what Robin wants. He’s nice but boring. In an episode in season 4 she tells Ted that she would describe her ideal guy as smart, funny, passionat and challenging – this discription rather suits Barney!

Comment by B/R-lover – December 1, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah it does!!

Comment by Jakes – December 10, 2011 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Remember, ugly shirt at clothing store sale guy will be back for Robin :)!!

Comment by Dee – November 16, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope. Michael Trucco’s show got renewed, so they scrapped that storyline and replaced it with the Kevin storyline.

Comment by Ace – November 16, 2011 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooo! Robin and Barney are waaay better together! Their chemistry is adorable!

Comment by BonesFringeFan – November 16, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In My Opinion. Robin and Barney Should End Up Together! It Was so sad When She Rejected Him!!

Comment by Debbie Moore – November 16, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She won’t be the mother. Why? Because the mother will be Barney’s sister. Remember the dinner Barney had with his dad? Jerry said that his daughter is not there because she’s in college (…studying economics, roommate with Cindy maybe?). And it would be natural to meet someone like a step sister at the wedding. Moreover, that would make Barney a real “Uncle Barney”. Say whatever you want, I’ve had this theory since that episode and revealing Barney being the groom just confirmed it. :)

Comment by Nophyr – November 16, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh. My. God. you are sooo right!!!! which episode was that so i can go see it now?!?! Omg GREAT call!! i hope thats what happens!!

Comment by HIMYM – November 16, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s season 6, episode 19 – “Legendaddy”.

Comment by Nophyr – November 17, 2011 01:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’ve been telling everybody i know it’s barney’s sister i’m glad i’m not the only one. plus look at his (barneys) little brother in the legendaddy episode he’s a brunette and so is john lithgow in (real life.) now think back to the no tomorrow episode the st patty’s day one good now remember when ted bumps into that pretty brunette and says sorry why did the producers show that random girl? i’ve watched every episode at least 5 or 6 times and they never just show ted bumping into a random girl and not have him ask her out or be interested in her so why this one random scene? remember older ted tells his kids that their mother was at that party he just didn’t meet her which is very possible because in the legendaddy episode his father tells barney that right after barneys mother forbode him from seeing barney he hit rock bottom and changed well he could have had his daughter a couple of years later which would have made her old enough to be at that st patty’s day party plus barney had no idea he had a sister so he wouldn’t have known her either and here’s one last thing Nophyr was right when he suggested that thats why ted calls him uncle barney well here’s one to bake your noodle robin and barney are married thats why she’s aunt robin plus in the first seasons halloween episode older ted says “hey kids you know how your aunt robin always dresses up in crazy costumes and then reveals that she wasn’t always like that” ok stay with me back to the legendaddy episode barney yells at his father for being a lame suburban dad and gets upset that he couldn’t do it for him (barney) ok finally think about it robin never had the happy childhood and barney did with the exception of not knowing who his father was which screwed him up a lot so if two people who didn’t have that cozy suburban lifestyle growing up but they always wanted it got together where do you think they would end up? robin and barney get married but it’s not this season remember ted atarted telling his kids about the wedding in the beginning of season 6 it’s now the middle of season 7 and still nothing remeber the shows called how i MET your mother not how i met and called and started seeing and eventually got married to your mother the show is going to end with robin and barney getting married and moving to the suburbs ted meeting his wife at the wedding and realizing that she’s the one he’s been waiting for his whole life and he’s going to say and “Kids that’s how i met your mother” lawyered!

Comment by adam – November 16, 2011 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • im sorry but the would mean that the mother is like 10 or 12 yrs younger than ted gross!
        i hope its someone else

Comment by lexi – November 16, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My theory is….Rachel Bilson is in college getting her PhD. I would assume that her roommate, who we know is the mother, would be of similar age and also getting her doctorate…which puts her in her late 20s to early 30s, depending on when she started graduate school. Ted is in his 30s…so that only puts them at a maximum 5 year difference.

Comment by Ann – November 17, 2011 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Except that Ted accidentally walked into an undergraduate economics class at the 300 level. And she was in that class. So she was most likely a junior in college (around 20-22) in September 2009. That would make her ~24 in May 2013, which is likely when Ted will meet her.

Unless they can explain away that she was an older college student (totally possible).

Comment by anon anon – November 17, 2011 08:40 AM PDT
      • NOPE. Watch the episode again, the mother is wearing different pants than the girl Ted bumps into. That chick may turn up something in the future but she is not the mother. The writers would not make such a foolish mistake like this. Plus, your “uncle” theory makes no sense whatsoever. I call my mom’s high school friend aunt and she is not related to me at all. Also, next time try to use something called grammar, to make your text easier to read and to understand, most of it makes no sense due to the lack of proper punctuation.

Lawyered.

Comment by JCF – November 16, 2011 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This conversation about figuring out who the mother is has stepped into crazy town, “The mother is wearing different pants than the girl Ted bumps into.” I do agree about the “uncle” theory though. Lily and Marshall and Aunt and Uncle as well so Ted doesn’t need to actually marry into Barney’s family for Barney to be called uncle.

Comment by Ok! Awesome – November 17, 2011 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my God,that’s true.I never thought about it,you’re absolutely right.

Comment by stella – November 18, 2011 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love love love Becki Newton! I can’t wait to see how this plays out. Robin kind of bugs me so I’m glad she didn’t end up with Barney.

Comment by Nicole – November 16, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like it but it’s kind of predictable. Barney falls for this girl, Robin realizes she still wants Barney, they end up together.

There is no viable, logical reason to make Robin pine over Barney for this season’s first few episodes only to have her to choose Kumar over him and that be permanent.

But then again this season is rife with bad writing so who knows.

Comment by Santiago – November 16, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So glad I’m not the only one who thinks so! I’ll add that at this point in the series, it also makes no sense for Barney to marry someone other than Robin after all the time they’ve invested into the Barney & Robin pairing. Which makes everything that is to come for the remainder of this season just plain filler and predictable and I wished that the show had been bolder and took a more unpredictable route.

Comment by Cath – November 16, 2011 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And lol at Barney no longer being a womanizer for almost the last two years. Anyone remember when that? Now they have him like Ted, worried about being in a relationship.

Comment by Santiago – November 16, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post