Monday Ratings: CBS Up, Fox Down, ABC's Q&A With Giffords Trumps NBC/Sandusky

CBS this Monday enjoyed across-the-board ratings increases, while Fox’s two dramas took hits. And in a 10 o’clock face-off between big newsmagazine interview gets, the inspirational trumped the disgraceful.

Here’s how it netted out, hour-by-hour….

8 pm | Dancing With the Stars held steady versus a week ago with 18.5 million total viewers and a 3.4 demo rating, and was the night’s most-watched program. CBS’ How I Met Your Mother (10.38 mil/4.5) was up a percentage point or two, as was 2 Broke Girls (11.7 mil/4.8), which scored its best demos since its boffo premiere. Terra Nova, at 7.1 mil and a 2.3, was down 9 and 13 percent, respectively.

The Sing-Off (4.75 mil/1.5) drew a few more eyeballs but was flat in the demo. Gossip Girl matched last week’s 1.24 mil/0.6.

9 pm | Two and a Half Men (14.6 mil/5.3) was up 2 percent in the demo, leading the night in that measure; lead-out Mike & Molly (12.23 mil/4.4) in turn saw a 5 percent bump. House (6.66 mil/2.5) dropped 11 percent. Hart of Dixie (1.6 mil/0.6) rebounded from last week’s drop by gaining 8 percent.

10 pm | 20/20‘s special sitdown with Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her husband led the hour in total viewers, with a robust 13.35 million. Hawaii Five-0 (11.5 mil/3.3) nonetheless saw gains of 11 and 5 percent, hitting best-since-season-premiere numbers. NBC’s Rock Center With Brian Williams, which featured Bob Costas interviewing former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, surged 30 percent week-to-week, to 4.5 mil and a 1.3.

What were you watching this Monday?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Lisa says:

I watched Hart of Dixie. Castle not airing this Monday was greatly missed :(

2. Boiler says:

Anyone who watched Sandusky on Rock Center, in my own opinion, is a voyeur. There was no reason for it!!

On the positive I thought HIMYM and 2 Broke Girls great last night and happy for Hart of Dixie

• J says:

I didn’t watch it, but your comment did make me laugh because I feel that way about a lot of shows on tv. People love scandal and no matter how much they may hate or disapprove of what was done they will tune in to see what the person has to say. I mean look at how reality tv exploded with the Real Housewives of anywhere, Teen Mom, Jersey Shore, etc. People don’t generally watch these shows because they support what is going on in them, they watch because they can’t look away from the train wreck.

3. Cindy says:

House is sooo good this season and i liked yesterdays episode very much.
    These ratings are making me sad :(

4. AnnClau says:

I think these ratings dropping is a pretty clear sign that House should end this season. It’s never gonna be as good as it was and it’s time to let it go.

5. Saint Alicia says:

House really should have gone the seppuku route (like Desperate Housewives) and tried to save a little face…

6. JMofan says:

Oh how the mighty have fallen. House is just awful now as it’s been for several seasons now (last night’s was a complete yawn) and the ratings reflect that. It’s down almost 50 PERCENT from one year ago and we’re in sweeps, when the shows pull out all the big guns to get us to watch. Time for it to end after this season. Otherwise it’s simply embarrassing. I sure missed Castle last night soooooo much!!

• Ariella says:

Word. Well, congrats to JMo on her successful new show. Congrats to OW on her growing film career. And congrats to LE for not going down with the ship.
      And I was missing Castle too! Next week looks great, poor Beckett though.

• D says:

Half a season isn’t several. Ratings were the last problem House had until the end of Season 7.

7. Sam says:

Well, there’s no accounting for taste.

8. Liz says:

Ouch if only House had gone out when it was closer to the top. Now it’s a slow and laughable drag to the final line.

9. kevin says:

Looking forward to see if HOUSE’s time is over after season’s end ’cause the ratings continue to struggle not likely than TERRA NOVA but last night’s Hawaii Five-O still improving going up against two outstanding news making headlines: ABC’s interview with Gabrielle Giffords and NBC’s Rock Center which got its best ratings ever thanks to the Penn State sex abuse scandal.

10. Denise says:

THE SING OFF! Love that show! I wish more people watched because I really have enjoyed the extended season, it gave the groups more time to grow.

• Denise says:

BTW- since you don’t recap The Sing Off (Boo!), get Melinda Doolittle on for a video chat (she twitters about it).

• marie says:

This! The Sing-Off blows ANY of the other singing competitions out of the water. I LOVE this show: no back-up singers, no AutoTune, no dancers, no over-production, not even any musical instruments as the vocal groups don’t need them! Excellent, refreshingly natural no-nonsense judges. The groups choose their own songs and create their own arrangements. It’s ALL ABOUT GREAT MUSIC, with ZERO B.S. X-Factor is a total crapfest; Idol is better, but has its share of crap, for sure. The Sing-Off is a total delight! I read Michael Slezak’s X-Factor recaps for entertainment, but I am so over the show. I will watch The Sing-Off as long as it’s on the air!

• Volcfom says:

I wish Vocal Point made it to the voting round! I was so upset that they got the boot after “Every Little Step”. Unjustified!

• shaun says:

Pentatonix should win….last season I got mad at the winner.

11. Linda says:

I LOVE Two Broke Girls. Quick, witty..knee slapping funny. Mike and Molly and the girls make my Monday night viewing a pleasure.

12. Templar says:

Can’t believe I’m writing this, but I actually liked 2 & 1/2 Men last night. Mike & Molly less so, which is the opposite of my usual reaction. John Cryer has become more of the focal point of the show and, since he was always more talented than Sheen, he’s earned it.

• Juliet says:

What a BS thing to post, Charlie Sheen will ALWAYS be MORE TALENTED than Cryer, it is so evident. Can’t wait for Anger Management by the way !!

13. Marcus says:

Bye bye House. You should bed Cutty to come back.

• Sam says:

First of all her name is CUDDY. And for the love of God, NO, they should NOT bring her back. She already ruined the last season, no need for her to ruin this one as well.

• Protip says:

**season 8 would actually need to be good in order to be ruined

• Linda says:

The crap called Huddy ruined the show beyond repair. The entire focus on this painfull to watch and joyless couple & the CuddyClan in the last seasons was a bIG mistake.
          Viewers who quit watching seasons ago B/c of huddy moved on to other shows and won`t come back.

• Protip says:

Nice try, except you’re ignoring the +3 million viewers the show has shed SINCE the beginning of THIS season. If the show was actually any good it would be able to retain what little audience it had.

• Cash says:

Stopped watching when the powers that be picked Thirteen over Cameron, because they thought Wilde was the new “It Girl.” What did that get them? An main character that was gone for half the season because she was busy being the “It Girl,” and a lot of pissed of Jennifer Morrison fans like me that haven’t watched since. And good thing too, because if season 7 is as bad as everyone says it was, I probably would have broken a few remotes.

• @protip says:

Since producers have forced huddy/Cuddy into the forefront in the last season all other supporting characters became one-dimensional monkeys. They took them away all depth, for example the Huddy chearleading broken record Wilson. The result was they made them rather uninteresting. it is an unrepairable damage. This season they are trying hard to make them interesting & likable again, but i`m afraid it is too late. The audience stopped caring about the show and House.
            21/2 men and Dancing are more interesting for the audience…very sad!!

• Protip says:

^^Right, right. Even though Cuddy/Huddy is long gone, that’s the reason why [H]ouse still can’t get it’s act together… Not that people just don’t care to watch this garbage anymore.
            People may not have liked Huddy, but the same time last season they still tuned in to see what was happening–they were at least interested. Can’t say as much now, even though season 7 and 8 PREMIERED to almost LEVEL ratings. House is hemorrhaging viewers because there’s nothing left to say; the show is dead.

• Jordan says:

Yeah. The show just isn’t as good at all without Cuddy. I never realized how truly much better House and “House” were with her there. :/

• @jordan says:

You might have watched the show for the romance storyline and not for House. Cuddys two minutes per episode didn`t made this show succesful. It is ridiculus.
        When i look on the ratings for her final episode, i didn`t see that people actually care for her so much.
        House has this season unplanned problems.People hate change! It is not easy to keep viewers with these several cast-changes (or gain new viewers) on this very,very competitive timeslot with a crappy lead-in.
        The producers missed the opportunity to introduce a new love interest for House. People love will-they/won`t-they unimportant if the girl is LE or another sexy actress.

14. audrey says:

What the heck does “BOFFO” mean?? Is that a spelling error?

15. Amanda says:

How I Met Your Mother was soooo sad. I think we all yelled a collective “NOOOOOOOOOOOOO” at Robin.

16. Kinsey says:

Love Hart of Dixie!

17. Jen says:

Hopefully Hart of Dixie picks up again. I don’t get why it was doing so well and then all of a sudden dropped.

18. waffles says:

HIMYM was excellent. Barney actually did the right and honorable thing with his women but sadly got destoyed for it. Two and Half Men still seems to be finding its groove but it was pretty good, too.

19. Elizabeth says:

Oh, NBC. First you enraged me with what you’re doing to Community and then you have that POS Sandusky on. Happy I missed it completely.

20. How I Met Your Mother was heartbreaking! I still have hope everything will work out between those two in the end, but right now I’m wondering how in the world Robin will ever make that up to Barney.

21. Fernando says:

Happy Hart Of Dixie is picking up again, here’s to hoping it reaches 2 million again

22. ANGEL says:

A RATING blame for the Huddy, Cuddy, haloween, FOOTBALL IS NOT. DAVID SHORE IS TO BLAME, GY. NBC, FOX

23. Sam says:

So that’s a drop of over 4 million viewers for House from the same time last year. The numbers speak volumes for what has happened to the show, and it’s future (or lack there of).

24. An says:

Even though the Huddy fans are annoying, I think that it’s a mistake to let them go. They are essential to the House marketing. They are the one who stirred up episode by episode in social networks in which I always end up watching even though it’s a crappy episode.

25. Jules says:

Hey, true Housefan like me will stick/glue until the very end…plus no more terra nova in January -that a very good news….
    And we be back at 8pm our original time slot no more waiting!! And regain our #1…
    House is better than ever…more medical puzzles to solve and more fun prank jokes with Wilson…the true friendship/best chemistry on TV…yes Edelstein’sdeparture left a hole.. But gave us opportunities to explore House’s recovery and go farther to resolve more issues(speculation about storyline of House’s real father…)in his past…without relationship fiasco of last season that really sink us…