Exclusive

Exclusive: Smallville's Erica Durance Brings Wonder Woman to Harry's Law

Anyone who has longed to see Erica Durance channel the Wonder Woman are going to see their dream come true — albeit perhaps via the unlikeliest of circumstances.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the Smallville alumna is set to guest-star on NBC’s Harry’s Law — which currently airs Wednesdays at 9/8c and was just picked up for a full second season — as a psychologically infirm woman who retreats into the persona of the DC Comics heroine to help wreak revenge on perpetrators of domestic abuse.

Durance will appear in the legal dramedy’s 11th episode, which given NBC’s midseason schedule change-up does not at this moment have a firm air date.

Ironically, this storytelling twist affords Harry’s Law creator David E. Kelley the chance anew to tap into the Wonder Woman mythos, after his pilot starring Adrianne Palicki as the Amazonian princess didn’t make the Peacock’s 2011-12 schedule.

In fact, that coupled with the fact that Harry’s Law, like Wonder Woman, is a Warner Bros. property, raises the possibility that viewers may even see Durance don the iconic outfit (versus the ersatz version she at one time slipped into as Smallville‘s generic “Amazon princess”).

Since Smallville signed off in May, Durance has kept very busy, landing the female lead in the medical drama Saving Hope (a Canadian TV pilot which just got ordered to series), playing twins for an indie film lensed in Italy, and guesting on ABC’s Charlie’s Angels.

To recap: Erica Durance. Wonder Woman. Harry’s Law. Maybe the costume.

1. Jem says:

Erica Durance + Wonder Woman + back on my TV? So much win. Love her and definitely looking forward to this episode.

• Elle says:

Honestly the only way I can enjoy it is if I think of Lois cosplaying Wondy. Erica is Lois Lane. She was an amazing Lois Lane. She is not Diana. Now, Lois cosplaying Diana is canon not only from Smallvile but also from the comics. I have to view it that way though or I hate the idea. Durance is Lois.

• Kim says:

Huh? Erica Durance is an actress, an awesome actress. She can portray both Lois Lane and a woman who channels Wonder Woman with equal awsomeness! Maybe her character on Harry’s Law isn’t the only one who needs a reality check…..

• darklady65 says:

uummm i was going to say something but nope not going to bother ….. she is a great actress and if she is ever involved in playing another dc character in the future then i will support her 100%

2. Richard says:

Sounds awesome. Can’t wait to see Erica guest star on the show.

3. Michael Sacal says:

Wow

4. Darcy says:

This is the best news! Although, I would’ve liked to see her in a recurrent role somewhere, but this is great news.

I’m really looking forward to this!

5. woolanayu says:

I’m so looking forward to this episode!! Wonder Durance ! :D

6. Allie says:

BEAUTIFUL.
    Total and complete genius.
    I WILL be watching this.

7. Gloria says:

This is really awesome!! I don’t watch this show but I definitely will tune for this episode, I’m sure Erica’ll rock as WW!!

8. Tucker says:

I’m so ecstatic that Erica is booking gigs on major network shows that are getting a far amount of eyes.
    Hopefully, this goes better than the Charlie’s Angels stint, though. Man, that was a train wreck.

• Kim says:

Erica Durance was great on Charlie’s Angels. It was the rest of the show that was a train wreck. It was GouLared!

• kevin says:

Calling the Charlie’s Angels reboot a “train wreck” ? PLEASE, called it “saddest TV news of the year” by that I mean “getting canceled”. :(

• Tucker says:

Neh. Much as I adore Erica and think she’s capable of great work, she couldn’t overcome the bad writing and poor direction of that episode alongside everyone else. James ‘Bill Buchanan’ Morrison is the only one who came away relatively unscathed.
        But I don’t hold that against her. Charlie’s Angels was just all around awful.

9. Mena says:

I’m definitely looking forward to this!

10. darklady65 says:

I love this show already so this just makes it even better that I will get to see Erica Durance on it along side the awesome Kathy Bates.

11. Fido says:

Erica Durance. Wonder Woman. Harry’s Law. Maybe the costume = almost enough to make me retry this David Kelley show, almost being the operative(?) word.

12. Isaac says:

Give me Ms. Durance in a Wonder Woman reboot helmed by Joss Whedon and I would literally pass out from the excitement.

13. Julian says:

Damn sounds great, looking forward to this episode. And congrats on the pick up Kathy Bates! Woot! Woot!

14. Wrenn says:

OMG. I’m so happy for Erica. Thanks Matt for the scoop. I don’t watch Harry’s Law, but I’ll tune in for this episode when it airs. This is so exciting. I feel she should be on my tv screen weekly.

15. Rebeca V. says:

Erica Durance is a WONDERful woman! She deserves every part she gets!!!

16. Christine says:

Wonderful news! Thanks, Matt, for the details. Ever since I heard Ms. Durance would be guest starring on HARRY’S LAW, I’ve been checking out the show. I think it’ll be a great episode. Durance’s role sounds compelling, and based on her previous work playing “possessed” characters, she’s guaranteed to wow the audience. I can’t wait.

17. L.S. says:

Since I heard Erica was going to be on the show, I’ve gone back to watch a few episodes. I’ve always loved Kathy Bates, so I’m hoping she has a chance to work with her; I’ll be fine if she doesn’t though. I’m just happy the role sounds fun and challenging. I’m looking forward to seeing Erica’s approach to this character. So those behind HARRY’S LAW have definitely succeeding in getting my attention. Very excited to see this episode. Thanks for the article!

18. malie says:

i love me some ERICA DURANCE can’t wait to see this awesome episode and touches on one of this counrties major issues (domestic abuse)we need to take a firm stand on this and sometimes people who are going through this wishes they just had a (hero)to beleive in.Thank God for Mrs.Durance

19. TJ says:

OMG! Im so excited! Erica Durance is the most beautiful, amazing actress ive ever seen! So excited to see her in Harry’s Law. I cant wait!

20. Fates3 says:

This is AWESOME news! When I heard about the Wonder Woman reboot, Erica was the first person I thought of! I loved her as Lois Lane on “Smallville” and she’s been a female crush of mine for years! I love that she’s getting all of this work! Now, I just hope that one of the US networks picks up the Canadian show she is making!

21. Snap says:

Thanks for the scoop, Matt! Never really watched a full episode of Harry’s Law before but I’ll definitely be tuning in for this.

I never, ever would have guessed that her role would be something like THIS – I love it! I’m super pleased to hear we’ll get to see more of her pre-Saving Hope. God bless Ms. Durance’s work ethic, keeping her on my screen.

22. Elle says:

It actually really surprises me that so many people want to see Erica as Wonder Woman. I love Erica but I can honestly say that I would never ever want her to play Wondy. Erica is Lois Lane. She was the best Lois Lane that I’ve ever seen in live action. I don’t ever want her playing another iconic DC woman again because she’s Lois to me. I like Wonder Woman fine. But Durance is Lois.

• Khorrie says:

I think you’re confused. Erica is not playing actual Wonder Woman; she’s playing a woman who *thinks* she’s Wonder Woman.

23. Luke says:

*sings the Wonder Woman disco theme* AWESOME. Sounds like a natural fit for Erica that has good depth to it delving into an important social issue. Never seen a second of this show before but I’ll be tuned in to episode 11 for sure!

24. kevin says:

There’s was a good reason when NBC failed to pick up WONDER WOMAN as a series but it felt very sad to me the same way CHARLIE’S ANGELS ended in a different way and looking back four years ago when the reboot of BIONIC WOMAN was canceled during the “writer’s strike”. Don’t know how Erica Durance is going to play out in an upcoming episode of Harry’s Law when it airs sometime next month or when the show moves to Sundays starting March 4th.

25. tomandjenny says:

This was all the fans wanted during her Smallville days.. and now, David E.Kelly is bringing it to his show. Love you erica! can’t wait to see you with those iconic costume! i just hope tom is there too!

• Ange says:

Speak for yourself. I never wanted Durance playing Wonder Woman. I thought it was fun when she dressed up like her for Comic Con and this sounds like a great one time thing but I would loathe the idea of Erica playing Diana long term. She’s Lois Lane. Not Diana. Would never want her to be anyone else.

Honestly I like Lois Lane a lot more than I like Wonder Woman. I find Wonder Woman to be an utter bore. I think Lois is awesome.

26. Jesse says:

Awesome!
    Love Erica Durance and this sounds like a fun episode. Can’t wait!

27. Kim says:

Love it! Very tongue-in-cheek casting. Erica Durance was WONDERful in her Amazonian Princess costume on Smallville. Maybe Warner Bros and David E Kelley are poking fun at themselves about their failed Wonder Woman reboot….maybe they now realize they would’ve succeeded if they had cast Erica Durance instead!

• sun says:

I totally agree with this post.

I’m wondering too if ED could pull off the Wonder costume, but I don’t think Erica’s busty enough compared to those exag comic drawings. I mean WW looks like she’ll topple over.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Erica Durance is beautiful inside and out plus she has one of the best, if not the best, female physique (and not only in Smallville!) But the expectations for that WW tv re-boot was just too much!

28. Andrew says:

I’m sorry, but: What? Harry’s Law was picked up for a second season six months ago — how is that “just picked up for a “full second season,” unless you meant to say that NBC has renewed it for a THIRD season?

Anyway, I’m a BIG Smallville fan. I actually like Harry’s Law as well. Erica guest-starring is definitely a bonus. I’m looking forward to it.

29. Carrie says:

That is AWESOME! I loved her as Lois and she’d make a terrific Wonder Woman. I’ll definitely be watching this!

30. JDHetherington says:

This is very misleading. I was expecting it to announce her as Wonder Woman somewhere like seriously. She could totally pull it off too….. Oh well.

31. Mike says:

I’ll definitely be tuning in, sounds like fun!

32. Anthony says:

She’s a great actress, she did well in Smallville, but come on, She already play Lois Lane in the DC universe. She cannot play two parts in the DCU!

She can’t just be two characters at once in DC! But even is she does, then I suggest she should dye her hair jet black, to keep it consistent, let alone having a nice, Greek skin tone for the character, let alone the ability to embody the Wonder Woman charscter/

• Stefan says:

well she is only playing a crazy person.. so calm down ;)

• fiona says:

tell that to chris evans who decided to play to marvel universe characters (Torch and Capt. Am.)

Anyway love Erica, and her playing a woman thinking she’s wonder woman is an awesome homage to DC =D

• set says:

I was thinking who was that actor who played 2 Marvel characters in the movies, so thanks Fiona!

The make-up artist JJ over at HL tweeted that Erica has several choice cosmetics to choose from–who knows, maybe Erica will dye her hair jet black and have an olive skin tone when Erica’s in WW costume…

Seen a manipulated pic of Erica in Wondy gear and she looks fantastic!!

• malie says:

all you are is a evil bitch

33. Eliza says:

Matt, thanks for the Erica scoop!!! I loved her on Smallville and will watch anything that she does. Never watched Harry’s Law, but I certainly will now. Can’t wait.

34. Paul says:

Keep the good news about Harry’s Law coming!

35. Natalie says:

This news just made my day :D!!!
    Can’t wait to see the awesome Durance on my screen again.
    Forget Diana Prince, Erica Durance is Wonder Woman all on her own merit :).

36. Kplan says:

Um…Smallville and the CW are both WB properties. If Durance as Lois couldn’t wear the outfit on Smallville – very firmly set in a DC Comics universe of sorts – why would Durance as an insane woman be allowed to wear it on this show?

And, not for nothing, but Kelley’s WW pilot was a mess. I’ve been watching series of his since Picket Fences, but the dialogue on the WW pilot was shockingly stiff, the characters were incredibly flat, and Kelley had ZERO handle on WW. It really felt more like a 1980s series in line with Street Hawk than something one would see in 2011. (Yeah, that’s right, I referenced Street Hawk.)

37. sun says:

Matt, thank you sooo much for giving us news on Erica Durance!

I can’t believe that on the day you broke the Durance news, I have not opened my twitter account the whole day! And I follow you!! Dang!!

Still, better late to the party! Thanks too for mentioning the work Erica has done since leaving Smallville!!

Sooo excited to find out what her role in HL is. I thought ED would be the lawyer on the other side but being the actual client with an unusual case is sooo much better!!

Thanks again Matt! And another thank you for posting a lovely pic of ED! Looking for more Erica updates from you!

38. Lau says:

Awesome!!! Cna’t wait to watch this!! :)

39. mark says:

Stop ERICA take a break!DURANCE does know how to act.

40. sharon says:

I Love that woman!!!!!!!!! :)

can’t wait ;)

41. ultimate troll says:

NERDS!!!!!!!!!

42. Tiva4Life says:

Woke up to the great news * happy dance* can’t wait !!!!

43. Blue says:

Awesome, awesome news. Never seen Harry’s Law before but definitely tuning in for this ep.

44. creampuff says:

I’m not so thrilled about David E Kelley having another chance to put his insidious spin on Wonder Woman. The failed NBC pilot was deplorably written, poorly conceived, and amateurishly filmed, and amply demonstrated that Kelley has no understanding of this character at all. It would be nice to see Durance in the role, but I’d rather see an interpretation of WW that is not controlled by Kelley’s poisonous imagination.

45. pitchou says:

I’m really happy for Erica Durance. She deserves what happen to her. Hope she will be a guest in another good shows. Erica is an amazing women. A human being like I never saw before.
    Congratulation Erica.

46. Snowkestrel says:

Kudos to Matt Webb Mitovich for commenting on Blaster.com and calling them out for blatantly ripping off this story for their own blog, without properly attributing the story to tvline.

Here for posterity (because I expect Blastr to take the comment down, as they are wont to do with comments they don’t like)is the comment by Matt:

Matt on Nov 16, 2011 11:57 AM
    Thank you for the interest in our story, but please attribute the
    correct outlet for this piece of original reporting. Thank you!

Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large for TVLine.com

Way to go! The only way to make internet journalism as ‘respected’ as traditional journalism is to adhere to the same standards (or better), and to call out those that don’t.

47. Ray says:

My fingers are still crossed for some sort of Smallville movie with all the main characters back including Michael Rosenbaum as Lex. I want to see more of Erica as Lois.

48. Ana Muller says:

erica looks cross eyed in that picture.

49. Liz says:

Thanks Matt!

Looking forward to seeing Erica in this role. I like when actors take on different roles and show their amazing acting skills. I only wish we were getting the episode now :( Erica is such a great actress and i want her to succeed in everthing she does. Im sure she will kick-ass in the part, she always does.

Btw love the pic of Erica, the woman is too beautiful.

50. Vanessa says: