Exclusive: Smallville's Erica Durance Brings Wonder Woman to Harry's Law

Anyone who has longed to see Erica Durance channel the Wonder Woman are going to see their dream come true — albeit perhaps via the unlikeliest of circumstances.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the Smallville alumna is set to guest-star on NBC’s Harry’s Law — which currently airs Wednesdays at 9/8c and was just picked up for a full second season — as a psychologically infirm woman who retreats into the persona of the DC Comics heroine to help wreak revenge on perpetrators of domestic abuse.

Durance will appear in the legal dramedy’s 11th episode, which given NBC’s midseason schedule change-up does not at this moment have a firm air date.

Ironically, this storytelling twist affords Harry’s Law creator David E. Kelley the chance anew to tap into the Wonder Woman mythos, after his pilot starring Adrianne Palicki as the Amazonian princess didn’t make the Peacock’s 2011-12 schedule.

In fact, that coupled with the fact that Harry’s Law, like Wonder Woman, is a Warner Bros. property, raises the possibility that viewers may even see Durance don the iconic outfit (versus the ersatz version she at one time slipped into as Smallville‘s generic “Amazon princess”).

Since Smallville signed off in May, Durance has kept very busy, landing the female lead in the medical drama Saving Hope (a Canadian TV pilot which just got ordered to series), playing twins for an indie film lensed in Italy, and guesting on ABC’s Charlie’s Angels.

To recap: Erica Durance. Wonder Woman. Harry’s Law. Maybe the costume.

Comments (79)

• Erica Durance + Wonder Woman + back on my TV? So much win. Love her and definitely looking forward to this episode.

Comment by Jem – November 15, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Honestly the only way I can enjoy it is if I think of Lois cosplaying Wondy. Erica is Lois Lane. She was an amazing Lois Lane. She is not Diana. Now, Lois cosplaying Diana is canon not only from Smallvile but also from the comics. I have to view it that way though or I hate the idea. Durance is Lois.

Comment by Elle – November 15, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Huh? Erica Durance is an actress, an awesome actress. She can portray both Lois Lane and a woman who channels Wonder Woman with equal awsomeness! Maybe her character on Harry’s Law isn’t the only one who needs a reality check…..

Comment by Kim – November 15, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • uummm i was going to say something but nope not going to bother ….. she is a great actress and if she is ever involved in playing another dc character in the future then i will support her 100%

Comment by darklady65 – November 15, 2011 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds awesome. Can’t wait to see Erica guest star on the show.

Comment by Richard – November 15, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow

Comment by Michael Sacal – November 15, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best news! Although, I would’ve liked to see her in a recurrent role somewhere, but this is great news.

I’m really looking forward to this!

Comment by Darcy – November 15, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Next year she will have her own show on a Canadian channel.

The show is called “Saving Hope”.

Comment by DJ Doena – November 16, 2011 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so looking forward to this episode!! Wonder Durance ! :D

Comment by woolanayu – November 15, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEAUTIFUL.
    Total and complete genius.
    I WILL be watching this.

Comment by Allie – November 15, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is really awesome!! I don’t watch this show but I definitely will tune for this episode, I’m sure Erica’ll rock as WW!!

Comment by Gloria – November 15, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so ecstatic that Erica is booking gigs on major network shows that are getting a far amount of eyes.
    Hopefully, this goes better than the Charlie’s Angels stint, though. Man, that was a train wreck.

Comment by Tucker – November 15, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Erica Durance was great on Charlie’s Angels. It was the rest of the show that was a train wreck. It was GouLared!

Comment by Kim – November 15, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Calling the Charlie’s Angels reboot a “train wreck” ? PLEASE, called it “saddest TV news of the year” by that I mean “getting canceled”. :(

Comment by kevin – November 15, 2011 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Neh. Much as I adore Erica and think she’s capable of great work, she couldn’t overcome the bad writing and poor direction of that episode alongside everyone else. James ‘Bill Buchanan’ Morrison is the only one who came away relatively unscathed.
        But I don’t hold that against her. Charlie’s Angels was just all around awful.

Comment by Tucker – November 16, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m definitely looking forward to this!

Comment by Mena – November 15, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show already so this just makes it even better that I will get to see Erica Durance on it along side the awesome Kathy Bates.

Comment by darklady65 – November 15, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica Durance. Wonder Woman. Harry’s Law. Maybe the costume = almost enough to make me retry this David Kelley show, almost being the operative(?) word.

Comment by Fido – November 15, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give me Ms. Durance in a Wonder Woman reboot helmed by Joss Whedon and I would literally pass out from the excitement.

Comment by Isaac – November 15, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You and me both!!

Comment by Kim – November 15, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. A million times…this!

Comment by Nichole – November 15, 2011 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, yes.

Comment by Carrie – November 15, 2011 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ditto!
      Erica working with joss would be amazing. I would love to see her do something with J.J Abrams too!

Comment by Vanessa – November 16, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn sounds great, looking forward to this episode. And congrats on the pick up Kathy Bates! Woot! Woot!

Comment by Julian – November 15, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG. I’m so happy for Erica. Thanks Matt for the scoop. I don’t watch Harry’s Law, but I’ll tune in for this episode when it airs. This is so exciting. I feel she should be on my tv screen weekly.

Comment by Wrenn – November 15, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica Durance is a WONDERful woman! She deserves every part she gets!!!

Comment by Rebeca V. – November 15, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally! Erica Durance rocks and should be on everything!

Comment by Kim – November 15, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful news! Thanks, Matt, for the details. Ever since I heard Ms. Durance would be guest starring on HARRY’S LAW, I’ve been checking out the show. I think it’ll be a great episode. Durance’s role sounds compelling, and based on her previous work playing “possessed” characters, she’s guaranteed to wow the audience. I can’t wait.

Comment by Christine – November 15, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since I heard Erica was going to be on the show, I’ve gone back to watch a few episodes. I’ve always loved Kathy Bates, so I’m hoping she has a chance to work with her; I’ll be fine if she doesn’t though. I’m just happy the role sounds fun and challenging. I’m looking forward to seeing Erica’s approach to this character. So those behind HARRY’S LAW have definitely succeeding in getting my attention. Very excited to see this episode. Thanks for the article!

Comment by L.S. – November 15, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love me some ERICA DURANCE can’t wait to see this awesome episode and touches on one of this counrties major issues (domestic abuse)we need to take a firm stand on this and sometimes people who are going through this wishes they just had a (hero)to beleive in.Thank God for Mrs.Durance

Comment by malie – November 15, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! Im so excited! Erica Durance is the most beautiful, amazing actress ive ever seen! So excited to see her in Harry’s Law. I cant wait!

Comment by TJ – November 15, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is AWESOME news! When I heard about the Wonder Woman reboot, Erica was the first person I thought of! I loved her as Lois Lane on “Smallville” and she’s been a female crush of mine for years! I love that she’s getting all of this work! Now, I just hope that one of the US networks picks up the Canadian show she is making!

Comment by Fates3 – November 15, 2011 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the scoop, Matt! Never really watched a full episode of Harry’s Law before but I’ll definitely be tuning in for this.

I never, ever would have guessed that her role would be something like THIS – I love it! I’m super pleased to hear we’ll get to see more of her pre-Saving Hope. God bless Ms. Durance’s work ethic, keeping her on my screen.

Comment by Snap – November 15, 2011 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It actually really surprises me that so many people want to see Erica as Wonder Woman. I love Erica but I can honestly say that I would never ever want her to play Wondy. Erica is Lois Lane. She was the best Lois Lane that I’ve ever seen in live action. I don’t ever want her playing another iconic DC woman again because she’s Lois to me. I like Wonder Woman fine. But Durance is Lois.

Comment by Elle – November 15, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you’re confused. Erica is not playing actual Wonder Woman; she’s playing a woman who *thinks* she’s Wonder Woman.

Comment by Khorrie – November 15, 2011 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *sings the Wonder Woman disco theme* AWESOME. Sounds like a natural fit for Erica that has good depth to it delving into an important social issue. Never seen a second of this show before but I’ll be tuned in to episode 11 for sure!

Comment by Luke – November 15, 2011 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s was a good reason when NBC failed to pick up WONDER WOMAN as a series but it felt very sad to me the same way CHARLIE’S ANGELS ended in a different way and looking back four years ago when the reboot of BIONIC WOMAN was canceled during the “writer’s strike”. Don’t know how Erica Durance is going to play out in an upcoming episode of Harry’s Law when it airs sometime next month or when the show moves to Sundays starting March 4th.

Comment by kevin – November 15, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was all the fans wanted during her Smallville days.. and now, David E.Kelly is bringing it to his show. Love you erica! can’t wait to see you with those iconic costume! i just hope tom is there too!

Comment by tomandjenny – November 15, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Speak for yourself. I never wanted Durance playing Wonder Woman. I thought it was fun when she dressed up like her for Comic Con and this sounds like a great one time thing but I would loathe the idea of Erica playing Diana long term. She’s Lois Lane. Not Diana. Would never want her to be anyone else.

Honestly I like Lois Lane a lot more than I like Wonder Woman. I find Wonder Woman to be an utter bore. I think Lois is awesome.

Comment by Ange – November 15, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!
    Love Erica Durance and this sounds like a fun episode. Can’t wait!

Comment by Jesse – November 15, 2011 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it! Very tongue-in-cheek casting. Erica Durance was WONDERful in her Amazonian Princess costume on Smallville. Maybe Warner Bros and David E Kelley are poking fun at themselves about their failed Wonder Woman reboot….maybe they now realize they would’ve succeeded if they had cast Erica Durance instead!

Comment by Kim – November 15, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with this post.

I’m wondering too if ED could pull off the Wonder costume, but I don’t think Erica’s busty enough compared to those exag comic drawings. I mean WW looks like she’ll topple over.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Erica Durance is beautiful inside and out plus she has one of the best, if not the best, female physique (and not only in Smallville!) But the expectations for that WW tv re-boot was just too much!

Comment by sun – November 16, 2011 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Harry’s Law — which currently airs Wednesdays at 9/8c and was just picked up for a full second season

I’m sorry, but: What? Harry’s Law was picked up for a second season six months ago — how is that “just picked up for a “full second season,” unless you meant to say that NBC has renewed it for a THIRD season?

Anyway, I’m a BIG Smallville fan. I actually like Harry’s Law as well. Erica guest-starring is definitely a bonus. I’m looking forward to it.

Comment by Andrew – November 15, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sophomore shows don’t always automatically get a full-season order; HARRY’S LAW just got its full Season 2 pick-up this week: http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/nbc-to-give-harrys-law-full-season-order-prime-suspect-gone/

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 15, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you for responding, Matt. I was just confused because I assumed, when it was renewed back in May, that it was only getting 13 episodes for Season 2. I thought NBC ordering an additional 6 scripts for it was a good sign, but you never know. I hope it will get renewed for a third season in May 2012, too.

Comment by Andrew – November 15, 2011 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is AWESOME! I loved her as Lois and she’d make a terrific Wonder Woman. I’ll definitely be watching this!

Comment by Carrie – November 15, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is very misleading. I was expecting it to announce her as Wonder Woman somewhere like seriously. She could totally pull it off too….. Oh well.

Comment by JDHetherington – November 15, 2011 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll definitely be tuning in, sounds like fun!

Comment by Mike – November 15, 2011 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s a great actress, she did well in Smallville, but come on, She already play Lois Lane in the DC universe. She cannot play two parts in the DCU!

She can’t just be two characters at once in DC! But even is she does, then I suggest she should dye her hair jet black, to keep it consistent, let alone having a nice, Greek skin tone for the character, let alone the ability to embody the Wonder Woman charscter/

Comment by Anthony – November 15, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well she is only playing a crazy person.. so calm down ;)

Comment by Stefan – November 15, 2011 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • tell that to chris evans who decided to play to marvel universe characters (Torch and Capt. Am.)

Anyway love Erica, and her playing a woman thinking she’s wonder woman is an awesome homage to DC =D

Comment by fiona – November 15, 2011 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking who was that actor who played 2 Marvel characters in the movies, so thanks Fiona!

The make-up artist JJ over at HL tweeted that Erica has several choice cosmetics to choose from–who knows, maybe Erica will dye her hair jet black and have an olive skin tone when Erica’s in WW costume…

Seen a manipulated pic of Erica in Wondy gear and she looks fantastic!!

Comment by set – November 16, 2011 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • all you are is a evil bitch

Comment by malie – November 16, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, thanks for the Erica scoop!!! I loved her on Smallville and will watch anything that she does. Never watched Harry’s Law, but I certainly will now. Can’t wait.

Comment by Eliza – November 15, 2011 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep the good news about Harry’s Law coming!

Comment by Paul – November 15, 2011 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This news just made my day :D!!!
    Can’t wait to see the awesome Durance on my screen again.
    Forget Diana Prince, Erica Durance is Wonder Woman all on her own merit :).

Comment by Natalie – November 15, 2011 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um…Smallville and the CW are both WB properties. If Durance as Lois couldn’t wear the outfit on Smallville – very firmly set in a DC Comics universe of sorts – why would Durance as an insane woman be allowed to wear it on this show?

And, not for nothing, but Kelley’s WW pilot was a mess. I’ve been watching series of his since Picket Fences, but the dialogue on the WW pilot was shockingly stiff, the characters were incredibly flat, and Kelley had ZERO handle on WW. It really felt more like a 1980s series in line with Street Hawk than something one would see in 2011. (Yeah, that’s right, I referenced Street Hawk.)

Comment by Kplan – November 15, 2011 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Apples and oranges, really.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 16, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, thank you sooo much for giving us news on Erica Durance!

I can’t believe that on the day you broke the Durance news, I have not opened my twitter account the whole day! And I follow you!! Dang!!

Still, better late to the party! Thanks too for mentioning the work Erica has done since leaving Smallville!!

Sooo excited to find out what her role in HL is. I thought ED would be the lawyer on the other side but being the actual client with an unusual case is sooo much better!!

Thanks again Matt! And another thank you for posting a lovely pic of ED! Looking for more Erica updates from you!

Comment by sun – November 15, 2011 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!!! Cna’t wait to watch this!! :)

Comment by Lau – November 16, 2011 01:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stop ERICA take a break!DURANCE does know how to act.

Comment by mark – November 16, 2011 03:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Love that woman!!!!!!!!! :)

can’t wait ;)

Comment by sharon – November 16, 2011 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NERDS!!!!!!!!!

Comment by ultimate troll – November 16, 2011 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woke up to the great news * happy dance* can’t wait !!!!

Comment by Tiva4Life – November 16, 2011 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome, awesome news. Never seen Harry’s Law before but definitely tuning in for this ep.

Comment by Blue – November 16, 2011 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not so thrilled about David E Kelley having another chance to put his insidious spin on Wonder Woman. The failed NBC pilot was deplorably written, poorly conceived, and amateurishly filmed, and amply demonstrated that Kelley has no understanding of this character at all. It would be nice to see Durance in the role, but I’d rather see an interpretation of WW that is not controlled by Kelley’s poisonous imagination.

Comment by creampuff – November 16, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really happy for Erica Durance. She deserves what happen to her. Hope she will be a guest in another good shows. Erica is an amazing women. A human being like I never saw before.
    Congratulation Erica.

Comment by pitchou – November 16, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kudos to Matt Webb Mitovich for commenting on Blaster.com and calling them out for blatantly ripping off this story for their own blog, without properly attributing the story to tvline.

Here for posterity (because I expect Blastr to take the comment down, as they are wont to do with comments they don’t like)is the comment by Matt:

Matt on Nov 16, 2011 11:57 AM
    Thank you for the interest in our story, but please attribute the
    correct outlet for this piece of original reporting. Thank you!

Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large for TVLine.com

Way to go! The only way to make internet journalism as ‘respected’ as traditional journalism is to adhere to the same standards (or better), and to call out those that don’t.

Comment by Snowkestrel – November 16, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My fingers are still crossed for some sort of Smallville movie with all the main characters back including Michael Rosenbaum as Lex. I want to see more of Erica as Lois.

Comment by Ray – November 16, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • erica looks cross eyed in that picture.

Comment by Ana Muller – November 16, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • shut your hating ass up please1111

Comment by malie – November 16, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks Matt!

Looking forward to seeing Erica in this role. I like when actors take on different roles and show their amazing acting skills. I only wish we were getting the episode now :( Erica is such a great actress and i want her to succeed in everthing she does. Im sure she will kick-ass in the part, she always does.

Btw love the pic of Erica, the woman is too beautiful.

Comment by Liz – November 16, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post