NCIS: LA Scoop: Sam's 'Emotional' Crisis Underscored By an Original Song from LL Cool J

Get More: Exclusive, News, Previews, Scoop

This Tuesday at 9/8c, CBS’ NCIS: Los Angeles will continue an emotional and revealing story arc that hits Agent Sam Hanna (played by LL Cool J) not just close to home but at home.

“This November sweeps will probably be the strongest we’ve ever had,” NCIS: LA executive producer Shane Brennan tells TVLine. “It’s phenomenal.”

Sam’s “very powerful” storyline kicked off last week with “Greed,” an episode in which the team uncovered a plot to dispense highly toxic powdered uranium throughout the United States, by way of industrial air conditioning equipment. At episode’s end, Sam traveled to the Sudan — where he apparently has been spending many a weekend, undercover — to be there for a CIA op/longtime colleague who was fatally contimated by the uranium.

As the drama unfolds in the follow-up episode, “Betrayal,” it will be punctuated by “No More,” an original song penned and recorded by Grammy winner LL Cool J (with Ne-Yo) for the show.

“We see Sam Hanna placed in a particularly challenging emotional situation — and it’s a situation that happens when agents go undercover,” Brennan previews. “It’s a very real problem they have, of getting too close to the people they’re trying to catch or use to catch the bad guy. Sam finds himself in that predicament.”

Sounds to us like it could be one of those undercover situations that, say, Sam’s wife might not cotton to very much, were she to catch wind of it. After all, Sam has been clocking a lot of time in the Sudan, Indira G. Wilson this week will reprise her role of Mrs. Hanna, and the episode is titled “Betrayal.” “Let’s say that there’s a woman involved,” Brennan responds with a wink.

The showrunner then effuses of the two-part arc, “LL has just done an amazing job…. His performance in these episodes really showcases his talent, in more ways than one.”

Comments (34)

• Wait….I missed an episode. I knew Sam was supposed to be married but can not recall the wife ever been mentioned or shown. Someone enlighten me, please.

Comment by GeekGirl13 – November 14, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m right there w/you. I knew he had kids, but don’t remember ever seeing any of his family.

Comment by Renee – November 14, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There is an episode (though I can’t recall when) and one of the first scenes is of Sam getting a call in bed as he is sleeping next to his wife (I think it is to come into the office) and then the scene cuts to Callen also receiving the same call. We see his wife for a second.

Comment by Raissa – November 14, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry but this seems like jumping the shark to me. Sam’s wife was shown once, just a body in a bed. And it was mentioned once that he had kids. And that was all. And now they want to tell us that he has a happy family at home? For real? That for 3 years he has never mentioned them, that he spent Christmas Day with Callen but he has one big happy family at home? Are the SERIOUS?!

Comment by timotey – November 14, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is odd. And Callen lived with him…one would think the wife would have something to say about that.

Comment by Gretchen – November 14, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rewatch the episode where Callen gets his own place. Sam’s wife DID have something to say and that was why he wasn’t there anymore.
        And I agree, Brennan needs to have his head examined with this plot arc. This does NOT fit Sam’s character.

Comment by Kvivik – November 14, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Where are you getting that from, I re-watched that ep and the wife has never been mentioned at all. No one even knows her name and she isn’t even credited by name in the episode tomorrow.

And seriously, when Sam brought up the mug in Honor I was like no was he is married. An infidelity story line is the best they can do?
          Wow, that conversation in with Callan and the stunning mug makes Sam lookm like a douchebag, he was bragging about the hot chick he works with.

This in my opinion does not fit with Sam at all.

Comment by Shonaille – November 14, 2011 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • And I didn’t mean to soud so brash, I just meant I watched that ep recently and never saw them mention the family or wife at all

Comment by Shonaille – November 14, 2011 07:21 PM PDT
    • It’s not jumping the shark….research the term.It’s a big plothole though!!

Comment by shaun – November 14, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know exactly what “jumping the shark” means, thank you very much. For me, the show’s going downhill since 301, the introduction of Hunter and 4 episodes with that… woman where unnecessary. And now they magik Sam a family? That was mentioned exactly twice in 3 seasons? A complete sekrit life? An ex-wife and kids? That I could understand. But a home and wife and kids? No, sorry, just no. Sam who just gets up and runs off to Joshua Tree, who goes on bar binges with the team, who says that his worst fear is losing his partner – not wife or kids – now has a super sekrit family at home? A family he never contacts even when he has to drop everything and go to Africa or Romania or prison? If that’s not jumping the shark… It’s like when soap operas introduce the evil twin cliché.

Comment by timotey – November 14, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ok how is that Jumping the Shark and beside why would it matter if he didn’t tell them his family should know that the job comes before them

Comment by Michael – November 14, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Hey we didn’t know gibbs had a wife or a daughter, they hinted here and there and then eventually he had flashbacks of him and shannon and kelly

Comment by d – November 14, 2011 05:14 PM PDT
          • I never thought Sam was the type that would make the job come before them.

Comment by Shonaille – November 14, 2011 05:51 PM PDT
        • That is a very special language you write in. Did you and your twin come up with it in childhood?

Comment by Danyelle – November 14, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Excuse me?

Comment by timotey – November 15, 2011 10:40 AM PDT
        • I think the whole point of all that and this is to show that Sam doesn’t care about his family that much or rather he is having family problems and instead of dealing with them, he chooses not too.
          Shane has a very different idea of what a man of integrity and honor is that is for sure because this isn’t it, even if he hasn’t slept with her. Yet.

Comment by Shonaille – November 14, 2011 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I absolutely agree. That does not make sense at all. I am watching the show and he comes home to a wife and slips his wedding band on his finger. I must have missed the episode where there was a figure laying in the bed beside him or maybe I blinked and missed it. either way, I was shocked when I saw the episode tonight.

Comment by Katrina – November 15, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was the woman laying in bed in 1×21 Found, according to IMDb.

Comment by Suuz93 – November 14, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When did we see Sam’s wife? I’ve watched every episode and don’t recall that. If someone has this can they post some place!

Comment by Beth – November 14, 2011 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You see her naked back in episode 1×21 and i guess we will see her tomorrow when she finds out her husband isn’t that nice a guy.

You would think G would have called him on it when he was bragging about the hot chick he was working with…..

Comment by Shonaille – November 14, 2011 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t anyone else think that there has to be a lot more to this for Shane to be putting this out there and being okay with it?

Now I’m scared for what he will do with all the other characters, if he can butcher Sam like this. Sam gets no real development outside of work until now and it’s to show he has a family he never talks about, spends time with or really care about and he has fallen for another woman?
    How does Shane thinks he can spin this and make it ok?
    I am hoping that maybe he and his wife are separated? It’s still not ok but at least it isn’t so bad and explains Sam basically shown always out with the colleagues and spending Christmas with G. Hell, he ever invited G on the vacation last year without mentioning if he should consult his wife first.

Comment by SMN – November 14, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He also quit his job and left the country without telling his wife. You’d think these are decisions you’d make after consulting your spouse.

Comment by Anna – November 14, 2011 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t really remember seeing Sam’s wife and kids either, even though I remember he’s married. However, I’m not about to make a big deal out of it. He has a wife and kids: good for him. I’m actually anxious to see her again (I think it was around the end of the first season she guest-starred).

Comment by Justin – November 14, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ppl i think u also have to realize that this is just a tv show. This could be a set up for episodes to come including his wife and kids and other families. And if u all did any research on any one it says that sam has a wife and kids, and that b4 deeks was a cop, he was a lawyer. Look at character bios ppl and you will see other ppl in their lifes.

Comment by twallace – November 14, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah but your family can’t be a non-existent for three years then we only hear of them when one of the characters may or may not cheat. That is stupid. And just because it’s a TV show doesn’t mean I have to accept everything they write, especially when it doesn’t make sense. Unless the show is prepared to say Sam is a crappy husband and a crappy father because between ops in Sudan and his regular job and hanging out with his friends, doesn’t leave much time for a so called family man to actually spend time with his family.

Comment by SMN – November 14, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First of all, this is tv show time, therefore, we are not seeing every minute of every day of these characters lives, for example between “Personal” and “Harm’s Way” we lost, what, 6+ weeks because Deeks got shot one episode, next episode he is better and returning to work? Second of all, Sam can have all these things: Callen on holidays/staying over, wife and kids NOT separated, because whose to say Callen isn’t their odd but lovable “uncle” or something. Second of all, it totally makes sense to me, Sam can be a family man and do all this stuff too, I don’t know what the big deal is, it just takes the right kind of woman, and them raising their kids very carefully, tough, but NOT impossible. Though I agree if the mug is a new chick and Sam betrays his wife, THAT is not cool. I was thinking it is Sam getting betrayed by her, I.E. she’s the leak, but who knows…

Comment by LadyViceroy – November 14, 2011 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they follow the song’s lyrics, then maybe Sam and his wife have been fronting for a while, but they both knew it was over. I hope they don’t screw up Sam’s character.

Comment by CJ – November 14, 2011 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m looking for the song. They gave the name of it at the end of the episode but I’ve forgotten it. It was really nice.

Comment by oldgirl – December 31, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam works undercover. He has a very dangerous job and before that was a Navy SEAL. To me, it makes complete sense that he would want to keep his wife and kids completely separate from his work life, he’d want them to be as far away as possible. Remember nobody knows who these guys are, when Kenzi’s best friend came to visit she had to pretend to be an art curater, this is all part of what they have to do to stay alive and protect the ones they love. I loved teh story he told about when his daughter started school and he trailed the school bus every day for a month! Yes, he hasn’t mentioned them very often, but I think it’s because he doesn’t want to be thinking about his family when he needs to concentarte on his job. However, if he is cheating on his wife, that is SO not cool!

Comment by Katy – November 15, 2011 02:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is based largely in their work lives, not their personal lives so why would we expect to see Sam’s family? The character obviously doesn’t involve his personal life in his work, which we see in the ep where he reveals he has kids. Neither Kensi not Deeks had ever heard about them. The show is based on the work they do, and most episodes don’t occur back to back so who’s to say that the character Sam is t spending weeks at a time at home with his family in between the storylines portrayed in the episodes. Have t you ever worked with someone and not known for a long time that they were married or had kids? I certai ly have.

Comment by Astrat – November 15, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just this past week Hettie mentions him having family time. A lot wasn’t known about the NCIS team in VA at first either. A director and writting staff have to build characters, their background, and such. Heck, we just found out about callen then the past 2 seasons combined. NCIS la is different per se too b/c they are on the West Coast. NCIS doesn’t need a boat house!

Comment by NCIS watcher – November 15, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show itself is ridiculous. NCIS (the original one) used a terrorism in the air vents plot just a few weeks prior.

Comment by Reg – November 15, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol, is this show non-fiction or fiction. Get a grip people. I was surprised to learn that Sam has a family but it is a story line on a t.v. program.

Comment by dee – November 26, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hey there and thanks for your information ? I’ve certainly picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise several technical issues the usage of this site, as I skilled to reload the web site a lot of occasions prior to I may get it to load properly. I were considering in case your hosting is OK? No longer that I’m complaining, but slow loading circumstances instances will very frequently have an effect on your placement in google and can harm your high-quality rating if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I am including this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much extra of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again soon..

Comment by dunk mid pro sb buy jordans authentic jordans jordans for sale Info: The Air Jordan 4 was the first Air Jordan shoe to be retroed in never befo,air jordan iv 2011,jordan ajf 4 laser,jordan fl – August 23, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post