Bones Preview: 5 Things You Need to Know About the New Squintern

When Bones killed off Vincent Nigel-Murray last season (R.I.P., chap), the door was held open for a new squintern at the Jeffersonian. And the winner is… the super-smart, uber-Southern Finn Abernathy, who arrives in this Thursday’s episode (Fox, 9/8c). Here, TVLine gets his portrayer, Luke Kleintank, to reveal the five things you need to know about the sweet but troubled newbie.

HE’S A GOOD SOUTHERN BOY | Kleintank describes his character as “a good ol’ boy from the hills” who just happens to have a love of forensic anthropology. And did we mention that he’s Southern? Put it this way: If Daisy is very neurotic and Clark was very private, then Finn is very Southern. But Kleintank had no problem slipping into the role. “I have family from Kentucky and Ohio,” he explains. “I just tapped right into some of my Southern roots.”

Castle‘s Castle Battles Bones‘ Booth, Plus Alias vs. Jump Street as ‘Cop Crush-Off’ Continues

HE’S GOT A PAST | Finn comes to the Jeffersonian with a record, which will “cloud some of the doctors’ minds,” previews the actor. “They’re not going to want him around.” But who can resist that face, especially when country-fried sayings like “Easier than flipping a flapjack standing on your forehead” come out of it? No one for long! Finn’s “very, very sweet,” insists Kleintank. “He wants people to respect him.”

HE’S GOT SOMETHING IN COMMON WITH BRENNAN AND BOOTH | Like the forensic anthropologist and the FBI agent, Finn has a history of abuse. “That is a middle ground for everyone to relate,” says Kleintank. “I fee like their relationship could grow just through that.” Bones, in particular, will form a connection with Finn, especially after she finds out that she inadvertently saved his life as a youngster. “He was in a very bad place before she came in and rescued him,” the actor reveals. “He didn’t have a family growing up, so this is his newfound family.”

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Bones and More!

FINN AND HODGINS ARE THE NEW DYNAMIC DUO | Wendell, you are well and truly adored, but we think Hodgins might have a new favorite squintern. Like most love stories, this one begins with dislike. “At first, they butt heads a lot,” Kleintank says. Luckily, Finn knows the way to Hodgins’ heart – it involves puke! – and quickly wins him over, giving birth to an awesome new duo. “He has a comedic aspect with Hodgins,” describes the actor. “They become best buds.”

THE OTHER SQUINTERNS SHOULD BE WORRIED | If Brennan ever decides to hire just one intern, Finn’s got a pretty good shot at the gig. Although he may seem “very, very illiterate at some points,” says Kleintank, “he’s on point and he’s focused. He knows his stuff.” And there are plans to bring him back for another episode, so watch your backs… um, other squinterns.

1. Jeanne says:

Love Finn! Miss Wendell, Vincent & Zack, but it’s nice to see a Southerner portrayed as smart for a change. Worst stereotypes on TV are Southerners and fat people! Southern accents are derived from English aristocracy, and I love the drawl and manners (civility returns!)… Reminds me of the South. Although not officially “Southern,” I’ve heard the Southern accent in Kentucky, southern Ohio & Indiana. KEEP Finn! Bring back the others as guests. Not fond of Daisy, but we all know someone just as annoying!

2. Jonna says:

I think his accent was okay. Good enough that non-southerners probably wouldn’t notice; it is very hard to fake a southern accent. The phrases he uses are pretty ridiculous, the writers need to do some research on that. I’ll admit that there are a lot of colloquialisms that would sound silly if you hadn’t heard them all your life. But as a born and raised Mississippian, I have never in my life heard anything as nonsensical as the phrases that came out of his mouth haha! Of course I mean outside of tv and movies.

3. andrew says:

While most are too ignorant to think maryland is southern ( we are most definitely southern). I was taken a bit back by his “accent”. Now the southern accent in maryland virginia and the carolinas sounds very similar and his was off. When I first heard him talk I was thinking “oh great how is hollywood going to cut on the south this time” and i knew once they made him say a bunch of crazy one liners. Oh and yall deep southerners need to get off your high horse. The south starts. From the mason dixon line west and south (deleware is not a southern state). Us upper southerners are just as much in dixie as those in the deep south.

4. Sandra says:

Folks. Having grown up in southern Ohio, I can confirm there are neighborhood where everyone is a transplant from Kentucky or Tennessee. In those neighborhoods, you really feel like you entered the South.

5. Jessica says:

Love Bones! Miss Zack and hate Daisy. I would like to see Sweets hook up with Tina Majorino – I believe they are bringing her back. Cam “I am the boss” is starting to get on my nerves big time! I am enjoying seeing the pregnancy play out but I find myself getting mad at Bones and yelling “it’s not just your baby” at the TV all the time. I do like that it now bothers her (visibly) when Booth gets upset. Hopefully she is slowly starting to “get it”. Her finding out it was a girl with out Booth then acting like it was no big deal – was NOT cool. Didn’t like the way the writers handled that but hopefully they redeem themselves the rest of the season.

6. angie says:

I loved Zak, he looks just like my cousin and just as smart. I love Vincent also for his extra knowledge facts. No one will ever truly be able to replace them. I am in Georgia and the new guys accent is as fake as all get out. I almost didn’t watch the show b/c of it. I ain’t never missed a Bones program. Fix that boys accent or I’m leaving Bones.

7. mina says:

I enjoyed last nights episode. I believe Finn is going to bring some fresh MD knowledge to the show a. challenge for Hodgins !

8. Beth says:

I love Finn (and Luke Kleintank). Despite the misdemeanors he’s been involved in, he seems like a really likable guy. Not only is he brilliant, but he’s super cute, too! I love his little country phrases and, although his accent isn’t flawless, his dialect is downright adorable. I can’t wait for Finn to return on other episodes.

9. Haley says:

I will forever miss Vincent, but I really like Finn.

10. Brenda Harris says:

I really dislike Daisy. I hope we never have to see her again. I am already a fan of Finn’s. He and Hodgin’s will be good together

11. Kenjiro says:

To be honest, i wouldn’t mind about his whole fake accent thing because it was really fun hearing how it sounds. I do know he carried the character very well. And don’t blame the character for the “south” thing, better ask the writers how they came to that idea and seriously, some parts of Ohio have true southerns. With all honesty, and i know that as he gets more part, he would be able to practice his accent, unless he is really a natural of that, because with the introduction of this new character, he will become a new favorite. Just saying, that is a good first impression of this character including his background.

12. Sassy says:

I miss Zack too!

13. Shea says:

I don’t care where his family is from, his fake accent is aweful, and the colloquialisms the writers had his character say were painfuly bad to have to listen to. How phoney can you be. It got to the point that I actually fastforwarded through any of his speaking parts.

14. Micah says:

Love Bones, fav show. Missed that it was switched to Fax and so disappointed to have missed the first new episodes.

Love all the squinterns and always sad to see them go, especially having the last one killed off. Also love the romance story lines among the cast.

15. Erin says:

I live in kentucky, and while somtetimes i do say yall, i do not spout the sayings Finn said all through out the show. With that said I do like the character finn.

16. lisah33 says:

I agree I am southern and people comment on my accent but this is toooo much. Lighten up a little less southern more intelligent.

17. Rosalie says:

This young man needs to visit the hills of North Carolina, where I live, for some lessons on the local accents from our university’s drama department or our accomplished community theater. This actor’s fake Carolina accent made me cringe. It’s too over the top. My advice is to tone it down a bit, especially the way he pronounces ma’am. I encourage him to visit the small city of Hickory, North Carolina for a crash course in ”How to Act Southern” before all Bones viewers south of the Mason Dixon line change the channel.

18. Abby says:

Really miss Zack…He is not replaecable…It would be great if the show can have him back…

19. Brandy says:

I’m actually quite offended at the stereotypical portrayal of a Southerner with this character. I was raised in NC, where the character says he is from, and we actually don’t talk with such an overwhelming accent, and neither do we use phrases quite as overkill as “Easier than flipping a flapjack standing on your forehead.” Tone it down and maybe he’ll be believable.

20. will says:

Precisely how have you have the ability to build this type of excellent crowd of commenters to your web page%3