Exclusive

House Exclusive: Emmy Winner Jeffrey Wright Recruited For Epic Season 8 Showdown

I’m not the biggest boxing fan, but I’d still wager that no heavyweight bout has ever packed a bigger punch than the upcoming Hugh Laurie vs. Jeffrey Wright episode of House is going to.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Wright — a 2003 Emmy winner for Angels in America — will make a rare TV detour when he guest stars on the Fox drama in early 2012. What drew the acclaimed actor — who will next be seen in the Tom Hanks/Sandra Bullock film Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close — to the small screen? An episode of House that, on the surface at least, has all the markings of an instant classic.

Not only is the script by Garrett Lerner, Russel Friend and David Foster juicy as hell — “Nobody’s Fault” casts Wright as a renowned neurosurgeon who is both Foreman’s mentor and the arbitrator of House’s fate — but the hour, which will air in early 2012, will be directed by exec producer Greg Yaitanes (marking the helmer’s 30th House directorial effort). In other words, the same group that teamed up for Season 4’s “House’s Head” — which won Yaitanes (pictured) an Emmy — is at it again. (The actual plot of the episode, including details regarding what triggers Wright’s arrival, remains a closely-guarded secret.)

“This is an example of great writing attracting great talent,” says Yaitanes. “We are thrilled to have Jeffrey join us.

“He brings the heft and magnitude you dream of when pitting a character like this against House,” he adds. “As a fan, I am dying to see the two of them work together.”

And do battle! So what do you think? How will Wright stack up against previous House sparring partners (Chi McBride, David Morse, Andre Braugher… )? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. forditude says:

Chase. It is all about Chase for me. Jesse hopefully soon will have an outlet for his outstanding acting skills.

2. Julie V says:

Seriously! True fan like me who still have the HouseFever and watch every Monday and don’t care about the ratings or stupid/annoying bad comments…enjoy the freshness of this season…Plus this news of Jeffrey wright appearing along side Hugh Laurie will be EPIC! Sure to be a great rivalery&chemistery and an amazing episode….plus this one will be in the category same as “Three stories Frozen,Locked in,House’s Head,Broken,Help me”…
    But on a serious note, can FOX flush Terra Nova and put House back @8 pm- so the rating will be fair/better and less painful to wait to enjoy my favorite addiction..bcuz thoses crappy dinosaurs and stupid plot line are not very interesting…I’m doing a lot of zapping during the hour…

3. D says:

I don’t care how much you hate House, it’s pretty impossible to deny Russell Friend and Garrett Lerner have written the best episodes of the show, and this could very well be up there.

4. Julie V. says:

House is the best thing on tv….plus a follow Hugh’s career since blackadder…so proud of him…will stick as long he stay on the show…like he said in recent interviews he love the show and crew/cast…lots of work,yes lots of hours…but as long the creativity is still there he will continue…that’s a real leader!!

5. Angela says:

Here we go again.. The comments are always, always about what they feel rather than the commenting about the article. And it’s getting jaded. That is why this show should end this season. The fans are divided and but it’s not their fault. I blame DS and Co.

6. Angela says:

Here we go again.. The comments are always, always about what they feel rather than commenting about the article. And it’s getting jaded. That is why this show should end this season. The fans are divided and but it’s not their fault. I blame DS and Co.

7. Jade says:

OMG! I hate when people give opinions about a show, which they don’t even watch anymore (or never even did). S8 has been good so far, you can notice every element of the show, trying to “heal” itself, after the “suicide attempt” of S7 (which didn’t really bothered me that much), but House isn’t supposed to be like Grey’s Anatomy, it use to be about the weird cases, but S6 and S7, wondered a bit of topic and was to personal for the shows original theme. I Love House, and will remain a devoted fan till the day one of us die!

8. Jim Cullen says:

For all those people who no linfer watch the show…WHY ARE YOU STILL FOLLOWING THIS TV/LINE THREAD???????

9. nana says:

House without Cuddy turned crap.

10. carol says:

I have faithfully watched House since the premiere episode and I have watched every episode of this season. I feel therefore that I have every right to comment on the decline of the show as I see it.

There are several things fundamentally wrong with the David Shore concept of going ‘back to basics.’ Obviously, without Lisa Edelstein’s Cuddy, they are lacking one of the crucial basic ingredients of their early seasons, so by definition, they can’t get back there anymore. Without Cuddy, the show now lacks dramatic tension, mature intensity, and meaningful humor.

Second, in the early seasons, we were trying to unwrap the mystery of House’s character. It doesn’t make sense now to try to put more wrapping around a gift that has already been unveiled. That seems to be what they are trying to do this season and it is ludicrous.

Three, the medical mysteries were always used as tools for learning more about House, they were never the primary point of an episode. So without any effort to uncover more about House, the basic structure of the show is dismantled. We are no longer about unpeeling House’s complex character. We just have House as the buffoon dispensing inconsequential jokes and rude harrassment.

Fourth, the winning formula of the early seasons was a well-balanced combination of tense drama and outrageous comedy. Sometimes this whiplash combo happened in the same scene or even the same sentence. Now the episodes are all frothy and prankish, without the intensity of focus on House and without the dramatic tension of all the previous seasons. This makes the laughs smaller and the drama unimportant.

It is hard to see how the show pulls up out of this tailspin now. With all the love in the world I say, please put House out of its misery.

11. WE says:

Well, the miserable one here seems to be you, but I shall not suggest that you take your own advice.
    Us for the rest of us, WE shall be miserable when House ends.

12. Grace says:

I think the main reason for the fall in [H]OUSE’s ratings is it’s competition. There’s DWTS, MNF, and 2 1/2 MEN all bring in big ratings/millions of people. I’ve never missed an episode of HOUSE since the very first one and I plan not to miss one ever. I still think HUGH LAURIE and Robert Sean Leonard are the best pair on TV. HUGH LAURIE is AMAZING with all he has to do on this show. His acting is FLAWLESS. I hope we get another season so bad. I think House still has a lot to say.

13. Judy says:

I am like most of these comments about “House”I do enjoy seeing Lisa Edelstien on camera,she really made “House”,House. Sometimes change is good but sometimes change can be cruel to a tv program and it may kill it before it really has a great chance of making something good.When I started watching this season I too was shocked to see that “Lisa Edelstien” wasn’t on it..some people are just not cut out to do a certain position so maybe we need to all just see what they are doing there maybe some saving going on and who knows maybe they may bring her back..you know that is what will save this program from going down hill as you all have put it..I would enjoy seeing it brought back to what we now know it..if you want to know where jesse spencers side kick went to she’s doing a show called “Once Upon A Time” on Sunday night at 8:00 to 9:00.I also miss her but have gone on as most do when they are in a rut.So just see what and or how this goes you never know things may come around or they may fail whatever happens will either bring it up or kill what was or is a good series..which to me is a shame when they have something good something always has to happen to it then we as viewers have to deal with there bad mistakes which usually end in bad way for all.

14. Howdy superb website! Does running a blog similar to this require a great deal of work?
    I have no expertise in coding but I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future.

Anyway, if you have any recommendations or
    tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is
    off topic but I just wanted to ask. Many thanks!

Watch Emily Owens, M.D. Season 1 Episode 3