Dancing With the Stars: Did the Right Couple Fall Just Short of the Semifinals?

This week’s Dancing With the Stars answered an important pop-cultural question about who holds more sway with the TV-viewing public: An unapologetic scold of a legal commentator or an unmarried, lesser-known Kardashian trying to carve out a little fiefdom of his own creation.

You could’ve found a hint to the answer on the cover of pretty much every tabloid magazine on your newsstand right this second: When in doubt, bet on the enduring power of the House That Ryan Seacrest Helped Build — even if acknowledging that power makes you want to put your hands in your face and pray for the imminent arrival of the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

Yes, folks, here’s how this week’s DWTS results-show telecast played out:

Last Two Couples in Jeopardy (Thought Not Necessarily the Bottom Two)
Rob Kardashian and Cheryl Burke
Nancy Grace and Tristan MacManus

Eliminated
Nancy Grace and Tristan MacManus

Indeed, underdog Nancy — who repeatedly survived on viewer votes despite her frequent flirtation with the bottom of the judges’ leaderboard — finally danced her final dance, and griped her final (but most likely cheeky) gripe. And lo and behold, she gave all the credit to her neophyte pro partner, who’s rapidly gained a fan base for his patience, good humor, adorable Irish accent and penchant for placing his tongue above his upper lip.

“I’m so proud,” said Nancy, “but I really cannot take the credit. You know what? It’s been all Tristan from the get-go.”

Tristan, for his part, was equally gracious. “We can’t be disappointed to make it this far,” he said, adding that he and Nancy always felt “it’s not about being the best, it’s just about doing your best.”

What did you think of this week’s results? Did the right couple go home? Sound off in the comments, and for all my reality TV news and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Kim says:

I was glad to have Nancy finally voted off. I don’t want to like any Khardashian, but Rob is technically better than Nancy. He doesn’t need to win though. :) I want that honor to go to Ricki or J.R.

• Kassie says:

Now, let’s hope the Kardashian guy goes next!!! Cheryl is like Derek, flipping around the dance floor to take the focus off of their celebrity. Sorry, Rob and Ricki are not that great, their professionals take center stage, so we are actually watching them instead of the celeb. jmho.

• Donna says:

I am glad someone else finally noticed and mentioned that Derek and Cheryl’s partners get higher scores because they dance so well and do such hard choreography while the partner pretty much just walks or twirls around and it makes them look a point or two higher than they really dance at, it isn’t fair, the judges are supposed to be professional and they should be aware of this themselves, and when has Derek ever been given a partner who was a real challenge. I love his dancing, but give him a Nancy Grace or Pallin, and he won’t be doing his fantastic moves to make himself so good anymore, he’ll be lucky if they remember the entire dance, he’ll be pulling them along like the other pros sometimes have to do.

• JoMarch says:

So, @Kassie and @Donna-what you’re saying is the judges are so stupid and know so little about dancing that they are blind to the fact that Derek’s partners can’t dance (e.g. Ricki), and they just hand out high scores based on DEREK’S performance. “Must vote for Derek, can’t see his partner; I’m blinded by Derek’s flashy dancing”… Sorry, I don’t buy it. Ricki has done a fantastic job and has earned her scores, both low and high. (She’s not great all the time).

2. Cinders says:

Pretty much expected Nancy to go home this week. She was the poorest of the remaining dancers.

3. lariet50 says:

This was a fair result. Nancy was the least technically proficient dancer, even if only by a little bit. It was her time. Hopefully Rob will be next in line.

4. GingerSnap says:

Oh yea, it was time for Nasty Nancy to go home. Glad to see Rob K in the bottom 2, ‘cuz I’m betting on Maks and Hope to make it to the top 3, and wouldn’t it be a kick in the pants if they finish 2nd to JR and Karina!
    ——————
    I don’t care what happened between Maks and Hope this season. He’s a great coach if his partner will let him do his work. GO Maks and Hope!

• PAB says:

I think Max is great. Hope on the otherhand is a spoiled brat. I hope that the producers will pair Max up with somebody who is fun and will help him win. Hope go home.

5. Auds says:

I’ve been voting for Nancy for weeks simply because I have grown very fond of her Irish gentlemen pro-partner. With that said, she’s definitely not the best dancer and it was probably her time to go last week (before David). I am pretty surprised that Rob has gotten as far as he did, especially because he’s a Kardashian. Just as long as it’s JR and Ricki in the final 2 I’ll be happy.

6. kelly says:

I’m going to miss Tristan, really hope he is back next season!

• Kassie says:

Miss Louis and Kym, also. Always enjoyable to watch. Don’t miss Ballas, and cannot stand the “Derek Show”. Both are great dancers, but both promote themselves, rather than their celebrities.

7. Babygate says:

I’m actually surprised that she lasted this long. I really want Ricki to take it all the way home. But I have a feeling it may be J.R.

8. Maggie says:

FINALLY! I don’t get who would’ve voted for Nancy, must’ve been votes for Tristan. Hope is next then Rob. GO J.R.!!!

9. Em says:

I don’t watch this show, but saw a clip on the gabfest with the ladies of, you know……..hate to give them mention. Have to give Nancy props for doing that final move at her age. I know I couldn’t and won’t. But it is a dancing competition so Len was right. She lasted longer than she should have.She had fun with it and can go back to her day job with more name recognition.

10. Anna says:

Now that Troll Woman and Spaz are both gone the finale can focus on DANCING!

11. GG says:

I am LOVING Tristan! He is so cute and I love listening to him talk. Definitely going to miss him. I hope the PTB @ DWTS bring him back next season.

12. Amber says:

I really want to comment something about this, but I’m having a hard time drumming up emotion for DWTS ever since Chynna got kicked off. That elimination made me feel dead inside.

• Jack says:

Or you could just enjoy the show and not take it so seriously that you felt dead inside with a celeb’s elimination. You do know that she was just voted off and didn’t actually die or anything like that, right?

13. CJ says:

I would agree on Tristan coming back next round, but I would really rather he get his own show, or move in with me–either would be fine.

14. Bobbi says:

It was the right result, but I would have much rather seen Rob leave. He has got to be the single most overpraised contestant this season. Certainly he is of the remaining four!

• Cheryl says:

I totally agree with what you said about Rob being so over-praised. I was always wondering about why that should be. He seems like a nice enough guy but it was always painful to watch him dance…not at all fluid or ease of moving around the dance floor. He was cut a lot more slack than Hope. And don’t even get me started on Chynna.

15. Mary says:

I wasn’t surprise to see her go, probably shouldn’t have lasted this long. I was hopeing for a surprise elimination, Ricky Lake, to go.
    There is something about her that makes me cringed everytime she talks. Just what we need a talk show with her. I am Team JR all the way.

16. Kris says:

I wanted to say yes, but then I remembered that the alternative would have been rob kardashian so no….the right ones did NOT go home….let’s just hope that rob does NOT make it to the finals….he is more overrated by the judges than Derek&Ricki….they at least get fair scores….he is just over-scored all the friggin time

17. Saracen Riggins says:

I don’t really get the comments that Rob is overpraised. When the season began, I didn’t know a thing about him other than he was a Kardashian… I think he has week by week proven himself to be a great, down-to-earth guy who is genuinely getting better and better. He deserves every last bit of praise he’s received. He’s most certainly earned it.
    Now, with that said… I’m pulling for JR for the win! I do NOT want Ricki to win, simply because I get so irritated with the judges fawning over Derek all the time.

• Lana says:

I agree with you, I’ve never watched the Kardashians so I didn’t even know about Rob or his Dad. I have watched him go from a very shy guy to one who now shows a great sense of humor and no longer a wall flower. He has also worked on his dancing and has improved every week, its been fun to watched the transformation. I would rather see him at the finale than the spoiled baby Hope. Hopefully Maks will see better next season.

18. Karen says:

I am hoping that Hope & Maks go home next week. I don’t like her attitude since you put down Brianna Scurry years ago. Not a team .player and no class

• Me says:

You mam are uneducated. Hope did not say what she did to demean Scurry, it was to blast the coach who guess what, was fired for his idiotic decisions in the 2007 World Cup. Should she have done it in private, probably, but someone asks you a question in the heat of the moment and sometimes things are said. As for Scurry and Hope, great friends, they put her comments behind them and are better friends than before. Not a team player and no class, give me a break. She did everything she could to rejoin the team and in doing so became the best female goal keeper in the world, led the team to an Olympic Gold and Silver Medal in the World Cup all while playing through pain for her reconstructed Shoulder, and she did this for her team.

19. jenn says:

Rob whats his name should go home next even though he has danced well. Next is the girl and winner should be JR Martinez. The man has really put out the effort to learn to dance and it is obvious that he was not a dancer when he began and now he is marvelous.

20. Rick says:

I was also happy to see Nancy gone.

Love the show ;-)

21. Sue says:

Ding Dong the witch is gone…It was long past time for Nancy to exit..She really isn’t that great..Next should definately be Hope…I’m sorry but the girl can not dance..She is just so awkward when she tries to dance. And I never thought I would say this but Maks needs to take a break.

22. Rebecca says:

Nancy did great to get this far. She definitely wasn’t the best dancer, but the amount of effort she put into learning was obvious. She tried really hard. IMO, Hope should leave next, then Rob, then Ricki should be out, and J.R. is the winner.

23. Dadie Bienerme says:

I know Hope is not the best dancer out there, but I still want Maks to win, I don’t know how this is going to happen. Dream do come true sometimes. Ricki and JR have both previous dance experience/backgroung. Hope came from so far, I want her to go all the way. Go Maksolo !

• Rebecca says:

J.R. has no previous dance background, so your statement is untrue. He has come from as little training as Hope has, and he is much better than her.

24. DCwriter says:

I am thannkful Nancy is gone. Slezak gave her far too much benefit of the doubt–I believe her criticisms and snarkiness with Tristan were completely real. If she was joking, she needs to work on her delivery.

25. Sam says:

I’m just glad Hope and Maks are in the semi-finals…I think she’s dancing light’s out now. I’m just tired of all the controversy. I would never base my opinion of someone on a 5 second video clip of a training session. Maks is being brought to heel, period. But he’s dealing with it by beating them at their own game, and he just might pull it off. I “hope” so. :)

26. susela says:

While I can’t stand Nancy and am glad she’s gone, I have to admit she’s way more entertaining than the Kardashian! Kinda wish he had been sent home instead, so I wouldn’t have to watch him for another week.

27. Couchpotatoehead says:

JR for the win! He is really such an inspiration. I like Ricky a lot and she has done really well but there is something about JR’s consistent positive attitude that goes way beyond heel leads and twirls. Ricky mourning getting all 8’s for her jive was a little pathetic. Nancy had to go, but next for me has to be Hope – she is being carried around the dancefloor by Maks, and her attitude is way too sour puss. And for someone with such great abs why does she seem to have no control over her center? Meanwhile Rob is now my favorite Kardashian (most of whom annoy the puss right out of any pimple)- okay, to be fair – he is the only Kardashian I like – he is working hard, improving each week, keeping it classy and has a sweetness to him that has grown on me. He should not be judged for Kim’s behaviour. But really, it’s all about JR. Love him! I don’t think Karina has ever had this much fun. Love, love, love.

28. Lynn says:

Yes, the right couple went home. Though I think she did extremely well for someone her age who is heavy, she should have gone home weeks ago. I was never a Rob fan, but I enjoy him now. I like him more than Hope. Rob has rhythm and a bit of flair – plus he acts like he enjoys this. Hope is an athlete – no rhythm (probably can’t spell it) and has never seemed like she cared to much one way or the other whether she stayed or left.