Breaking: FX Renews American Horror Story

FX just handed American Horror Story a pretty sweet Halloween treat: A Season 2 pickup!

The cabler announced on Monday that it has renewed the freshman thriller for a 13-episode second season.

“It’s one thing to have the ambition and guts to reinvent a genre in a way that makes it captivatingly fresh for a broad audience — it’s something else entirely to have the craft to back that ambition up,” said FX prez John Landgraf in a statement. “Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk have hit the trifecta with Nip/TuckGlee and now American Horror Story, which will be scaring FX’s viewers to death for many years to come.”

Horror Story Burning Questions: The Rubber Man, the Ultra Scary Ultrasound and More!

AHS has enjoyed steady audience growth through its first four episodes among its target audience of adults 18-49. According to FX (which is marathoning the first four episodes tonight beginning at 10/9c), the show is “tracking to become the highest-rated first season of any series ever on FX, certain to surpass Murphy’s award-winning hit drama Nip/Tuck in Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.”

Unlike Nip/Tuck, it’s unclear what Horror Story‘s second season will look like. It was initially reported that each season would feature a new family moving into the show’s haunted mansion, but producers claim no decision has been made. Just last week, stars Dylan McDermott and Connie Britton pleaded ignorance when asked if they’d be back for more.

“It’s open-ended – we’re not quite sure about the next episode never mind next year,” McDermott hedged. “We’re just sort of like flying by the seat of our pants.” Britton even suggests, “I don’t know that Brad and Ryan know, which I think is really fun.”

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Dee says:

Yes! Excellent news. Excellent show.

2. MattG says:

Second season with the same cast? I thought Michael reported sometime ago that each season would be a different cast? That still the case?

• SarahFW says:

Did you not read the post? It says clearly that that scenario was mentioned as a possibility in the past, but that now that decision is up in the air and no one will talk regarding whether that is the case now or not.

• OonaV says:

Next season, new cast, new house, new story lines

3. Michael Sacal says:

Remember when Kring announced that his original plan for Heroes was to rotate the characters from the first season out and replace them with new characters in the second season, but then he changed his mind when the show became a hit?

I say, go with your initial idea and replace the characters with new ones if that’ll keep the show alive.

4. DL says:

Great news! I’m one of the people who loved AHS from the very beginning, despite the imperfect pilot, and I’m so happy that it’s deservedly grown its audience.
    As for what next season’s cast looks like, I wouldn’t be surprised if they killed off one of the family trio (my money’s on McDermott’s character) and kept the other two, whether still in the house or not.

5. JRose48 says:

I hope they stick with featuring a different family each season. Maybe introduce them in the final episode of the previous season so interest is piqued.

6. Kevin H. says:

They should refresh the show with new characters every year like originally planned. As much as I love Dylan, Connie, Evan, etc., the show can’t use it’s characters as a storytelling crutch; it must use the narrative of the show to tell stories. That’s one of the reasons why the original British version of Skins works so well. Yeah, it’s tough to see each generation go (especially gen 2–that finale was brutal!) but the true test of a show is in the narrative.

• Kevin says:

Clearly the plan is that the current family dies in the murder house and returns next season as ghosts haunting the new family. They don’t want to come right and say this as it’s a huge spoiler. So I’m sorry for the spoiler myself lol, but it’s blatantly obvious to me that this is where things are headed.

7. Ivet says:

There’s only one reason why I don’t want new family and that is Connie (Coach’s wife). I’d miss her on my time :/

8. lori says:

Of course they can use a different family each season – our current family will be the residents ghosts so we get the best of both worlds!! We’ll still see them!! Awesome show!!

9. Frank says:

It is a terrific show that keeps you guessing all the way. Great acting too. I really hope Jessica Lange returns. She is sensational in it.

10. H. Caulfield says:

They can still have a new family move in next year AND keep the current cast. The current characters would have to die and be buried on the property. Simple solution.

11. Lori says:

LOL .. you know what they say about great minds …..

12. Erik says:

I think everyone watching WANTS the Harmons to die and stick around as additions to the ghostly roster. I’d bet that Violet’s already joined those ranks, as the last we saw of her, she was backing up from the door… and toward Rubber Man. After seeing how brutally Rubber Man dispatched Zachary Quinto’s character, I wouldn’t say Violet has much chance of going back to school.

13. nitemar says:

Fantastic news! Jessica Lange is one of the reasons I turn in, she is just awesome, and also the House with its ghostly guests. Also the opening credits which is as creepy as the show and those pictures, including one of Lizzie Borden! Thanks FX! :)

14. ChrisGa says:

Yeah, this is my favorite new show next to Revenge. The cast is pitch perfect, topped by a magnificent, Emmy-caliber Jessica Lange.

15. YarnGuy says:

This is great news. The show is certainly campy, trashy fun, but there is something fresh about it, and I don’t mean that in a snarky, sexual way. It’s one of the best things I’ve seen on TV in a while. Murphy’s a button-pusher, for sure, but he knows his audience.

16. Olivia says:

I know a lot of people like the idea of a new cast, but I’m going to be the odd one out. I hate the idea of seeing a new family every season, I really do. I want the current characters to stay, and I don’t mean that they should die. I love these characters and I have already connected with them and feel for them. I don’t know if I could watch the show if the family rotates every season…I love the show the way it is.

17. kait says:

as long as they keep tate.. i will be happy

18. H says:

I think they should pick up were they left off.Because the cast made the movie and the house.Why change a good thing