'Castle Is Definitely a Hero' During a 'Crazy-Intense' Hostage Crisis, Says Susan Sullivan

This Monday at 10/9c, ABC’s Castle meets The Nine (as a wise woman suggests below) when a seemingly standard-issue bank robbery is committed by a band of thieves named after famous TV doctors. Among the hostages are Rick and his mother Martha, while Beckett, a hostage negotiator (played by Breaking Bad‘s Dean Norris) and a worried Alexis fret over the captives’ fate from outside.

Susan Sullivan, who plays Martha, shared with TVLine a look at the episode that worked her so hard, it dealt her a real-life scare as well.

TVLINE | I’ve been excited to talk to you about this episode ever since [series creator] Andrew W. Marlowe told me about it in September. And the promos make it look crazy-intense.
Yeah, it is a crazy-intense episode — I know it almost killed me! I crashed my car on the way home [from the set]. I haven’t worked five days in a row, all day long, since this series began, so it was very, very intense.

TVLINE | Andrew said you spent almost the whole episode on the floor.
Yeah. Do you remember The Nine? It was like The Nine [on which Sullivan was a cast member]. As soon as I saw that script, I went, “Oh my god, I’m on the floor for five days, up and down, up and down,” so it was tricky. But aside from crashing my car, it was in an odd way fun. It’s the first time that I have worked with a bunch of new actors, because I am always with – and it is always delightful, believe me! – Nathan [Fillion] and Molly [Quinn] in the loft, in those big comfortable seats and not the hard floor of a bank. Part of what makes this show work is these [guest] actors coming in with their intensity. It’s really something.

Exclusive: Castle Makes Another Killing With Latest Guest Star

TVLINE | Tee things up for us. What brings Martha and Rick to the bank?
I want to borrow money [for Martha’s acting school], because I don’t want to take money from my son — I’m trying to be independent — but I take him along as a buffer.

TVLINE | And then all hell breaks loose…?
Essentially. All hell breaks loose, that’s a good way of putting it. These kinds of episodes can be very melodramatic and silly, because it’s very hard to create tension when you know that your leads are going to survive. However, when you have a character like Martha there, you know perfectly well that she could be a goner. Whenever I pick up these scripts, I go, “They don’t know what to write for Martha so they’re killing her, in the bank.”

TVLINE | No, no, no.… That’d be too dark a little turn for this show.
Yeah, well, I’ve been on enough shows to have seen dark turns come out of nowhere! [Laughs]

TVLINE | Do the robbers simply want money, or is something more at stake?
Oh, there’s something much more at stake. What makes these shows work are the turns that you don’t see coming, and you certainly do not see this one coming.

TVLINE | Is Martha plucky during the hostage situation? Does she give the bandits any guff?
One of the most fun things about this show, for me, is when I can throw in some of my own lines, and I’ll give you a good example. My line was, “Don’t you touch my son!” I said [to the writers], “If I was the bad guy, I’d say [to Castle], ‘What, are you here with your mommy?’ Let’s make it a stronger line.” So we changed it to, “Don’t you touch him, you son of a bitch!” I got some of that feisty Martha back in there. You have to protect your character, particularly a character like this who pops in and out.

TVLINE | And what is Rick’s demeanor through all of this? Is he a hero, is he…?
He is definitely a hero. He is definitely a hero, in his own impish way, yes.

Ask Ausiello: Jon Huertas Teases Castle‘s ‘Boys’ Night Out’ (Airing Nov. 7)

TVLINE | Andrew plans to tell the story of Castle’s father later this season. How do you envision him?
Well, since I actually have no idea, I have to make him up. And when that doesn’t work anymore, I remake him up. I’ve had all kinds of different actors in my mind, I’ve had him be a one-night stand, I’ve had him be the love of her life, a one-night stand who was the love of her life…. I really don’t know, and as an actor you don’t like to lock into something that you’re playing underneath, in case it turns out to be completely wrong. I think Martha has a real sort of joy with men, so I don’t think it was one of those horrible relationships.

TVLINE | If you had the chance to dream cast him….
I’ve thought about it, and I’ve always thought about David Selby (aka Falcon Crest‘s Richard Channing), because I love him so much and we were on Falcon Crest all that time together. But I think it could be somebody a little…a little younger! [Laughs] So, let me tell you what I did pitch for the father. After looking at myself in my red wig, I said, “Wouldn’t it be fabulous if Martha turned out to be Rick’s father?” Do a kind of Anthony Perkins thing.

TVLINE | Oh, Susan….
[Laughs] OK, Matt. I’ll run all of these ideas by you before I pitch them.

Watch the Cougar Town Cast’s Cameos on Castle, Private Practice and Other Shows

TVLINE | Did you have any torn loyalties when The Playboy Club was airing opposite Castle, having been a bunny yourself?
Not at all! I kept saying, “Oh, let’s do something! Let’s say that Martha had been a Playboy Bunny!” Andrew sort of intuitively felt [the freshman NBC drama] wasn’t going to be around long enough to bother with a story along those lines.

TVLINE | It’s kind of too bad, because I imagine there were some good stories to tell.
It was such an interesting place when I was there [at the Playboy Club in Manhattan], because they were hiring college girls, and Lauren Hutton was there at the time…. They were really smart, interesting girls.

1. Clari says:

I think it will be a great episode, it’ll be interesting to see Kate dealing with things like this (Castle in danger), since we always see Castle dealing with Kate’s life being in jeopardy. Besides i think that Castle will be at his best, cause he has always been the crazy novelist with crazy and strange ideas and this case cannot be better for him! i would love to see Kate really dealing with the idea of loosing him , and how she deals with it!

2. Ellie says:

I hope that wine scenes escalates into a bedroom scene. Wishful thinking, it’ll probably just be a kiss on the cheek from one of them at the most.

I cannot wait for 4×11 though! Make-out session?

3. Ellie says:

*wine scene* (don’t know where that s came from?…)

4. j2talk says:

lets see a nice flash back episode for Susan Sullivan’s Martha, film it in Black and white, let nathan fillion play Rick’s dad……

• Fyrkat says:

No no, bad idea unless you can cast an actor who looks just like an aged Nathan Fillion for the present day Dad.
      And David Selby is no good because he’s shorter than susan, so where did Rick get his height from?
      I’m really sad that they aren’t doing anything with Susan’s Playboy Club past. That would be an awesome thing to meld into Martha’s back story. Like when they used her scene from the Incredible Hulk as Martha’s acting.

• Tamrac says:

It is not unsusual or uncommon that a child can actually grow bigger than both parents so that wouldn’t be a reason not to cast him.

I think it would be really interessting to see Selby as Ricks father.

5. leigh says:

Looks like a great episode. It will be fun to see Martha in the forefront with Castle for a change of pace. Can’t wait for tomorrow!

6. TJCrinc says:

If they went the playboy bunny way, the heff could have been rick’s father. and it would explain alot.

7. Idea girl says:

Ooh ooh ooh…Harry Hamlin as Castle’s dad. Square jaw, brown hair, rogue-ish. He’s even old enough (he’d have been 20ish when Castle was born).

8. april-ann says:

Great interview, Matt! It’s about time we see more of Martha. SS is shamefully underused on this show. As for Rick’s daddy? How’s about Jack Nicholson at his charismatic best. They were deeply in love, but he was married at the time, it was a Tracy/Hepburn romance. Castle HAS to be a product of love, after all. I hope they explore the story of Alexis’ mom if not this season then next, and I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: she should be played by the actress who played Maureen Vanderbilt, Tripp’s wife on Gossip Girl. You wanna know how good a show Castle is? It’s hard to admit this but….I’m starting to like Beckett….a….little….

• TJCrinc says:

alexis’s mom has already been on the show. “the deep fried twinkie” if you dont remember. Changing the actress is always a confusing thing, so they should stick with the one they got. it would be interesting, to have castle and beckett get close to doing something romantic then her barging in.

• april-ann says:

No, I don’t remember. Was it the first season? Who played her? For how many eps was she on? On second thought, don’t answer because it doesn’t matter. And, I must disagree. If a show is strong enough, with strong writing, directing, acting and casting, they can most certainly pull off a change of (a minor) actress for the better. If strong, they can also change the storyline if need be. If all those things were in play, then it would not be confusing in the least.

• Amy says:

Alexis’ mother was in season one, Always Buy Retail. She was played by Darby Stanchfield

• Marie says:

Awwww how can you NOT like Beckett – she is a star? I watch the show because of Beckett – love her role in Castle. Also love Susan Sullivan/Alexis too. The females in this show including Lanie are just superb. So looking forward to seeing Beckett/SS/Alexis in this episode, hope Lanie will put in an appearance too. Laughed a lot at the robbers rep saying he wouldn’t talk to anyone else but the lady cop with the bedroom voice – its rollercoaster time for Kate in this eppy!

• shaun says:

I want Robert Wagner as his dad,lol.

9. hala says:

Castle and beckett need to hug/kiss during the peisode or else i’m killing someone!!!!!

10. Laura says:

I LOVE Susan Sullivan. And Castle :)

11. Kate says:

I’m REALLY looking forward to this episode!

12. Nicole says:

This looks like an amazing episode. I can’t wait.

13. Lillyg says:

I loved The Nine. I was sad it got canceled… :/

14. Cyn Mackley says:

Wow, David Selby as Castle’s father would be a dream come true for me! I love me some Richard Channing.

15. lory says:

Happy Castle Monday!
    Only 10 hours and 45 min to go!

16. Scott says:

My vote: Ray Wise or Tom Skerritt as Castle’s dad. It’d be interesting to find out Martha’s one night stand turned out to be a cop!

17. Faith says:

Tonight Castle is going to be great.