Crystal Bowersox Previews Body of Proof Role: 'I Felt Pretty Guilty When I Was Being Interrogated'

Since auditioning for American Idol‘s ninth season, Crystal Bowersox has made a name for herself on a variety of fronts — diabetes spokesperson, didjeridoo enthusiast, kick-ass coverer of Rolling Stones classics, heartfelt singer-songwriter, and VH1 staple — but it was hard to imagine she’d ever find herself in the role of murder suspect. Tuesday night’s edition of ABC’s Body of Proof (10/9 c), however, will change all that, as Bowersox plays  Zoe Brant, a troubled young woman who gets questioned by Megan (Dana Delany) and Bud (John Carroll Lynch) as they look into the death of a champion equestrian.

“She’s a bad girl with a good heart, kind of like me,” says Bowersox, laughing. “I’m more of a good girl now with a good heart, but I used to be [like Zoe], though I don’t know what it’s like to be incarcerated at all. I know nothing about it. My juvenile record is sealed so it’s all good.”

Idol’s Crystal Bowersox Splits With RCA/Jive

All kidding aside, though, Bowesox says she did draw from real life — specifically, her close relationship with her son — to help her prepare for her role. “Zoe was incarcerated for drug dealing, and she’s on some kind of work-release program [where she gets to see] her young daughter,” Bowersox explains. “I could not imagine what it would be like to be locked up for a bad decision and not be able to see my child. I can hardly go a weekend playing a show without missing him like crazy, so I drew my inspiration from the things I could find in common with the character.”

Body of Proof Exclusive: Battlestar Galactica’s Jamie Bamber to Romance Dana Delany

While the Idol runner-up attended a performing-arts high school, she admits her acting résumé was a little sparse before Body of Proof producers contacted her about auditioning. “I was really insecure about it. I’d never done anything like this before,” says Bowersox, who remembers getting “a really great piece of advice about acting” from Lynch in between takes. “He said, ‘As long as you’re telling the truth, you have nothing to worry about.’ And I kind of thought on that for a minute, about telling the truth from someone else’s perspective,” Bowersox explains. “Acting isn’t necessarily pretending. It’s storytelling. It’s giving someone your perspective on something.”

That said, “I felt pretty guilty when I was being interrogated,” she adds with a laugh.

Still, are there parallels between her Body of Proof gig and her day job? “You have to learn to draw the same emotion you had when you wrote a song every time you perform it,” Bowersox says. “Acting is the same way: You have to find those emotions and bring them to the surface, and then put them back when you’re done.”

In addition to “learning a lot” from Delany and Lynch, Bowersox notes there were other perks from her time on set. “I got to see so much behind-the-scenes stuff,” she recalls. “It wasn’t like working with the makeup artists on Idol. There were pictures on the wall of the trailer with all the gory makeup and horror-film stuff that the artists had done before, and I was just infatuated with it.”

With her acting debut imminent, Bowersox says she’s well aware of the doors Idol has opened for her. “[Body of Proof] was a great opportunity for me,” she says. “There are actors who wait in lines for auditions and callbacks and screen tests, and I walked right on and screen-tested and they liked it. I’m very lucky for that.”

Catch a preview of Bowersox’s Body of Proof episode below, then hit the comments and tell us if you’ll be tuning in tonight.

1. Bella says:

I watch this show anyway, but when I saw the previews for the show, I was surprised at how good Crystal seemed to be. We’ve seen so many singers who can’t act and so many actors who can’t sing. Good for her.

• Tony Roberts says:

Wow! I can’t believe Crystal Bowersox in a TV episode? I loved this girl on American Idol, and thought it was a real injustice when she did’nt win. I will definately watch this episode of Body of Proof! Go Crystal, you are ace Baby!

2. Tina says:

Woop-Woop! Bow-er-sox,Bow-er-sox!

Think I’ll be watching this while X factor is on, LOL!!

3. john t. says:

wow. she’s a natural! can’t wait for the episode :)

4. Monz says:

Not a regular watcher of this show but will def be tuning in tonight to see Crystal!! Looks like she did an AWESOME job!!! So real and believable!

5. D says:

I get up early so I don’t see much after 9 p.m. but I will definitely record it to watch another time. Can’t wait to see it. I think Crystal will make this, like everything else, work for her. She’s awesome.

6. nitemar says:

She’s pretty good so far. Hope we get to see her doing more tv like in Castle!

7. Donna Azbell says:

I will probably DVR and watch it later, like we do most shows. I really liked Crystal on AI.

8. Toni says:

I’m a fan of the show, and of Crystal. I was excited when they showed the previews last week, for this weeks show. I’ll definetely be watching it tonight!!

9. Debra trusty says:

I am so excited to read this about Crystal!! I am a huge fan and definitely will watch finite at10! I only live 20 minutes from her hometown and there are so many fans here in Ohio!!

10. Chris says:

I just found this out and Crystal is great in the clip and I am excited to watch her! I have a bumpersticker on my car still reading Crystal Bowersox Amerikan Idol the K in America meaning real America because I wanted her to win badly and believed she was burned on Idol..more power to her..and what a spectacular singer, too, cannot wait for her second Cd release! Looks like she’s a killer actress as well!

11. Edward Weil says:

I love Dana Delaey and Lynch anyway but adding Crystal in the mix is just as awesome as it gets. She is my granddaughters hero. Heck yeah i will be watching.

12. Josephine McClelland says:

That was really good. Can’t believe how talented you are. Absolutely great. Thank you for sharing that with me.

13. Jennifer says:

I have never heard of this show before but i am such a huge fan of crystal that i will definitely be watching the show tonight. I cant wait for crystals next cd to come out i just hope theres more soul in it this time

14. beth says:

I’ll definitely be watching. She’s seems also to be an actor. Talented!

15. Sandra McCarthy says:

For sure! Like everything she does wouldn’t miss it! I haven’t watched the show before, but my husband has, so we are in to see Crystal.

16. Pam Holdren says:

Haven’t seen the show, but will watch to see Crystal as an actress. She just may be as good of an actor as her talent for singing & song writing. Have no doubts that she will do a terrific job! Clip looked great. Way to go Crystal maybe your next offer will be acting & singing.

17. laurirose says:

Really looking fwd to Crystal’s acting debut on Body Of Proof on ABC tonite.
    I hadn’t been aware of it until I heard that she was taping this episode several months ago, then started watching it and now I’m hooked…

Fyi – insider info tidbit: The Body of Proof writers made a joke by giving the name of Crystal’s character’s victim a version of Crystal’s husband’s name! He’s Brian Walker and her female murder victim is “Brin Walker” ;)

18. LMMM says:

This chicks hair is dirty and nasty.

19. John Cundiff says:

I’m afraid X Factor is getting bumped in our house. We wouldn’t miss Crystal. Kind of ironic, in a way, Simon Cowell passed over for Crystal. No offense, Simon, but you are just not the cream of the crop tonight.

20. Cathy says:

So excited. Can’t wait to watch Crystal in her new adventure. You go girl.

21. FGM says:

This young lady has talent to spare.Her song writing, singing ,acting all seem to come from her soul.I watch the show and know the addition of Crystal will be a highlight for me.

22. asgrainbow says:

great clip…. I will be watching as we normally do every tuesday…we don’t watch live, but tape and watch later after DWTS…

23. Sally says:

Yes, I think that Crystal is just the best and will be watching tonight.

24. lorretta burlingame says:

I’m watching. And I don’t even watch TV. Looks like your talent knows no end, Crystal, you do it proud. Tonight at ten!

25. Brigette says:

Not too shabby! :)

26. Chris says:

Good for Crystal. I recall seeing her in one of those cheesy Ford Commercials on AI (can’t remember which one) and thinking that she is a natural in front of the camera.

27. Carl Uldall says:

Thought that was her. She did a decent job. Would have liked to have seen her act a little more. Happy she is going places

28. Bob Kirk says:

Crystal was impressive last night. She was a natural in all the scenes but it was the last one where she really shined as an actress. There are many successful actors who have no emotional range at all but Crystal, you are not one of them. You really conveyed strong emotions in that last scene – congratulations!

29. del says:

Didn’t know Crystal was going to be on the series. My wife and I thought we knew this lady. I checked out American Idol and sure enough it was Crystal. She did a great job. We hope her star continues to rise. Looking at her web site, it appears she is working hard.

30. Mccall says:

You go crystal! I am a fan of body of proof an she did an awesome job. I hope to see her on more shows. I think she would do wonderful on ncis.

31. JVee says:

Watched this show for the first time because Bowersox was on it, and I liked it so now I’ll watch it again. She did a great job – I look forward to seeing more of her acting!

32. MM says:

Crystal was fantastic! I hope we get to see more of her on tv, maybe even the silver screen.

33. Wayne haytrt says:

Looking for pic of the tattoo of the four horses on the episode 6 series two please email me
    Cheers