Crystal Bowersox Previews Body of Proof Role: 'I Felt Pretty Guilty When I Was Being Interrogated'

Since auditioning for American Idol‘s ninth season, Crystal Bowersox has made a name for herself on a variety of fronts — diabetes spokesperson, didjeridoo enthusiast, kick-ass coverer of Rolling Stones classics, heartfelt singer-songwriter, and VH1 staple — but it was hard to imagine she’d ever find herself in the role of murder suspect. Tuesday night’s edition of ABC’s Body of Proof (10/9 c), however, will change all that, as Bowersox plays  Zoe Brant, a troubled young woman who gets questioned by Megan (Dana Delany) and Bud (John Carroll Lynch) as they look into the death of a champion equestrian.

“She’s a bad girl with a good heart, kind of like me,” says Bowersox, laughing. “I’m more of a good girl now with a good heart, but I used to be [like Zoe], though I don’t know what it’s like to be incarcerated at all. I know nothing about it. My juvenile record is sealed so it’s all good.”

Idol’s Crystal Bowersox Splits With RCA/Jive

All kidding aside, though, Bowesox says she did draw from real life — specifically, her close relationship with her son — to help her prepare for her role. “Zoe was incarcerated for drug dealing, and she’s on some kind of work-release program [where she gets to see] her young daughter,” Bowersox explains. “I could not imagine what it would be like to be locked up for a bad decision and not be able to see my child. I can hardly go a weekend playing a show without missing him like crazy, so I drew my inspiration from the things I could find in common with the character.”

Body of Proof Exclusive: Battlestar Galactica’s Jamie Bamber to Romance Dana Delany

While the Idol runner-up attended a performing-arts high school, she admits her acting résumé was a little sparse before Body of Proof producers contacted her about auditioning. “I was really insecure about it. I’d never done anything like this before,” says Bowersox, who remembers getting “a really great piece of advice about acting” from Lynch in between takes. “He said, ‘As long as you’re telling the truth, you have nothing to worry about.’ And I kind of thought on that for a minute, about telling the truth from someone else’s perspective,” Bowersox explains. “Acting isn’t necessarily pretending. It’s storytelling. It’s giving someone your perspective on something.”

That said, “I felt pretty guilty when I was being interrogated,” she adds with a laugh.

Still, are there parallels between her Body of Proof gig and her day job? “You have to learn to draw the same emotion you had when you wrote a song every time you perform it,” Bowersox says. “Acting is the same way: You have to find those emotions and bring them to the surface, and then put them back when you’re done.”

In addition to “learning a lot” from Delany and Lynch, Bowersox notes there were other perks from her time on set. “I got to see so much behind-the-scenes stuff,” she recalls. “It wasn’t like working with the makeup artists on Idol. There were pictures on the wall of the trailer with all the gory makeup and horror-film stuff that the artists had done before, and I was just infatuated with it.”

With her acting debut imminent, Bowersox says she’s well aware of the doors Idol has opened for her. “[Body of Proof] was a great opportunity for me,” she says. “There are actors who wait in lines for auditions and callbacks and screen tests, and I walked right on and screen-tested and they liked it. I’m very lucky for that.”

Catch a preview of Bowersox’s Body of Proof episode below, then hit the comments and tell us if you’ll be tuning in tonight.

Comments (35)

• I watch this show anyway, but when I saw the previews for the show, I was surprised at how good Crystal seemed to be. We’ve seen so many singers who can’t act and so many actors who can’t sing. Good for her.

Comment by Bella – October 25, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow! I can’t believe Crystal Bowersox in a TV episode? I loved this girl on American Idol, and thought it was a real injustice when she did’nt win. I will definately watch this episode of Body of Proof! Go Crystal, you are ace Baby!

Comment by Tony Roberts – November 1, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woop-Woop! Bow-er-sox,Bow-er-sox!

Think I’ll be watching this while X factor is on, LOL!!

Comment by Tina – October 25, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow. she’s a natural! can’t wait for the episode :)

Comment by john t. – October 25, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a regular watcher of this show but will def be tuning in tonight to see Crystal!! Looks like she did an AWESOME job!!! So real and believable!

Comment by Monz – October 25, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I get up early so I don’t see much after 9 p.m. but I will definitely record it to watch another time. Can’t wait to see it. I think Crystal will make this, like everything else, work for her. She’s awesome.

Comment by D – October 25, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s pretty good so far. Hope we get to see her doing more tv like in Castle!

Comment by nitemar – October 25, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will probably DVR and watch it later, like we do most shows. I really liked Crystal on AI.

Comment by Donna Azbell – October 25, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a fan of the show, and of Crystal. I was excited when they showed the previews last week, for this weeks show. I’ll definetely be watching it tonight!!

Comment by Toni – October 25, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited to read this about Crystal!! I am a huge fan and definitely will watch finite at10! I only live 20 minutes from her hometown and there are so many fans here in Ohio!!

Comment by Debra trusty – October 25, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just found this out and Crystal is great in the clip and I am excited to watch her! I have a bumpersticker on my car still reading Crystal Bowersox Amerikan Idol the K in America meaning real America because I wanted her to win badly and believed she was burned on Idol..more power to her..and what a spectacular singer, too, cannot wait for her second Cd release! Looks like she’s a killer actress as well!

Comment by Chris – October 25, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Dana Delaey and Lynch anyway but adding Crystal in the mix is just as awesome as it gets. She is my granddaughters hero. Heck yeah i will be watching.

Comment by Edward Weil – October 25, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was really good. Can’t believe how talented you are. Absolutely great. Thank you for sharing that with me.

Comment by Josephine McClelland – October 25, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never heard of this show before but i am such a huge fan of crystal that i will definitely be watching the show tonight. I cant wait for crystals next cd to come out i just hope theres more soul in it this time

Comment by Jennifer – October 25, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll definitely be watching. She’s seems also to be an actor. Talented!

Comment by beth – October 25, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For sure! Like everything she does wouldn’t miss it! I haven’t watched the show before, but my husband has, so we are in to see Crystal.

Comment by Sandra McCarthy – October 25, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haven’t seen the show, but will watch to see Crystal as an actress. She just may be as good of an actor as her talent for singing & song writing. Have no doubts that she will do a terrific job! Clip looked great. Way to go Crystal maybe your next offer will be acting & singing.

Comment by Pam Holdren – October 25, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really looking fwd to Crystal’s acting debut on Body Of Proof on ABC tonite.
    I hadn’t been aware of it until I heard that she was taping this episode several months ago, then started watching it and now I’m hooked…

Fyi – insider info tidbit: The Body of Proof writers made a joke by giving the name of Crystal’s character’s victim a version of Crystal’s husband’s name! He’s Brian Walker and her female murder victim is “Brin Walker” ;)

Comment by laurirose – October 25, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This chicks hair is dirty and nasty.

Comment by LMMM – October 25, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re dreads. It isn’t dirty at all. What ignorance.

Comment by Lilly – October 26, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m afraid X Factor is getting bumped in our house. We wouldn’t miss Crystal. Kind of ironic, in a way, Simon Cowell passed over for Crystal. No offense, Simon, but you are just not the cream of the crop tonight.

Comment by John Cundiff – October 25, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited. Can’t wait to watch Crystal in her new adventure. You go girl.

Comment by Cathy – October 25, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This young lady has talent to spare.Her song writing, singing ,acting all seem to come from her soul.I watch the show and know the addition of Crystal will be a highlight for me.

Comment by FGM – October 25, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great clip…. I will be watching as we normally do every tuesday…we don’t watch live, but tape and watch later after DWTS…

Comment by asgrainbow – October 25, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, I think that Crystal is just the best and will be watching tonight.

Comment by Sally – October 25, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m watching. And I don’t even watch TV. Looks like your talent knows no end, Crystal, you do it proud. Tonight at ten!

Comment by lorretta burlingame – October 25, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not too shabby! :)

Comment by Brigette – October 25, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for Crystal. I recall seeing her in one of those cheesy Ford Commercials on AI (can’t remember which one) and thinking that she is a natural in front of the camera.

Comment by Chris – October 25, 2011 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thought that was her. She did a decent job. Would have liked to have seen her act a little more. Happy she is going places

Comment by Carl Uldall – October 25, 2011 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crystal was impressive last night. She was a natural in all the scenes but it was the last one where she really shined as an actress. There are many successful actors who have no emotional range at all but Crystal, you are not one of them. You really conveyed strong emotions in that last scene – congratulations!

Comment by Bob Kirk – October 26, 2011 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t know Crystal was going to be on the series. My wife and I thought we knew this lady. I checked out American Idol and sure enough it was Crystal. She did a great job. We hope her star continues to rise. Looking at her web site, it appears she is working hard.

Comment by del – October 26, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You go crystal! I am a fan of body of proof an she did an awesome job. I hope to see her on more shows. I think she would do wonderful on ncis.

Comment by Mccall – October 26, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched this show for the first time because Bowersox was on it, and I liked it so now I’ll watch it again. She did a great job – I look forward to seeing more of her acting!

Comment by JVee – October 27, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crystal was fantastic! I hope we get to see more of her on tv, maybe even the silver screen.

Comment by MM – October 29, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking for pic of the tattoo of the four horses on the episode 6 series two please email me
    Cheers