Jason Dohring Previews His Ringer Run and Reflects Fondly on Veronica Mars

When news of Jason Dohring’s casting on Ringer broke, the Internet veritably exploded with excitement. In fact, the actor tells us, his manager promptly forwarded him “pages and pages of support…. I couldn’t have asked for more.”

In this Tuesday’s installment of The CW’s freshman thriller (airing at 9/8c), Dohring makes his debut as Mr. Carpenter, a teacher at the public school that Siobhan’s troubled stepdaughter, Juliet, is forced to attend. While the character may seem innocuous enough, there might be more to him than meets the eye.

“I’m excited to see the arc of this character because I think it’s going to end very dramatically different than it started,” he says.

Exclusive Ringer Video: Get a First Look at Jason Dohring’s Debut!

TVLine got the scoop from Dohring on what’s going on between teacher and pupil, his character’s secrets, and whether — having already worked with Buffy alums Alyson Hannigan and Charisma Carpenter on Veronica Mars –  he shares any scenes with TV’s erstwhile slayer herself. And of course, we couldn’t resist asking what he thinks of how Veronica Mars ended and the long-rumored follow-up movie.

TVLINE | Tell us about your character.
It’s funny because I don’t know too much; so far, they’re very tight-lipped. As you’ll see [tonight], my character starts off as genuinely pretty straight forward, one-dimensional. But there’s the interesting aspect in that I’ve never really played an adult before — my characters have been so loose and crazy, so I can just do whatever I want, but now I have to almost be free within the limitations that a school teacher would have. So I’m actually learning a lot more about acting from doing this. And as you’ll see in the episodes beyond that, the character will start to open up and branch out into various plot points that weave into the overall story.

TVLINE | He takes an interest in Juliet, who’s one of his students. What is it about her that calls out to him?
Obviously, she shows up with whatever designer bag and that sort of thing, so she stands out against a medium to lower social economic background. I imagine he finds that amusing at first, but there is potential for this kid. She is sharp. She does work hard. He finds in her things that a teacher would respect.

The CW Picks Up Ringer For Full Season

TVLINE | You have to know that people are thinking “student/teacher romance.” It’s The CW. They’ve done it before.
I know that’s a hot topic of the day. Has been for some years now. We are seeing more of that, so it is a topical issue, for sure. I think you’ll just have to see. I think it might go beyond that even.

TVLINE | So there is a hint of feelings between the two? Or is it one-sided?
I wouldn’t say that because I don’t quite know yet. There is an admiration for her as a student, to be sure. And… I don’t know what to say because I don’t want to give anything away. It will be an interesting relationship, that’s for sure.

TVLINE | In the episodes you’ve filmed, does it seem like she’s crushing on him?
She likes him, but she also feels like she can be understood by him. She has trouble with that [with other people], so I think he’s someone she can have faith in and trust.

Ringer Exclusive: Did Henry Murder [Spoiler]?! Kris Polaha Sheds Light on This Week’s Big Twist

TVLINE | Is Mr. Carpenter from a rich background too?
Not a rich background, but maybe unstable as far as parents or school locations growing up. They share that sort of issue.

TVLINE | A lot of the characters on Ringer aren’t what they appear to be, or they’re holding onto some big, dark secrets. Does that go for your character?
I would think so, for sure. But it’s very ambiguous at this point. We’re at the point where it’s like, “OK, cool, here’s one aspect of him,” and then they plant a seed of doubt. I think they’re not telling us on purpose so we play it a certain way and then that will make the reveal even stronger, or the transition even more powerful.

TVLINE | Does him taking an interest in Juliet bring him into contact with her parents? Do you get to share scenes with the other adults?
I do, yeah. Not with [Sarah Michelle Gellar's] character, but I do with her father (played by Ioan Gruffudd). We have a couple scenes together, which is cool because he’s just a lovely man.

Ringer Bosses Talk Secret Identity Reveals, MIA Baby Bumps and the Real Siobhan’s Next Move

TVLINE | I have to ask: What did you think of how Veronica Mars ended?
It was just a bit tricky because we didn’t know that it would be the full end. Rob [Thomas, the creator] had already written them, and we had already shot them by the time we found out it wasn’t going to continue for another year. We couldn’t wrap it up as much as we wanted to storyline-wise had we known several episodes before the finale, so we maybe could have tied up some loose ends. I thought it ended very well, but I’m sure Rob would have had some really interesting and twisty, amazing things to do had he had the opportunity.

TVLINE | Is there something you would have liked to have seen for Logan if it had gotten a proper finale?
[Kristen Bell] is so awesome — I think the world of her, and it’s always fun to do scenes with her — and some of the better moments that my character had on the show were with her, without question. I would have liked to see [Veronica and Logan] together. It doesn’t even have to be as much of a romantic ending, but something shocking or a powerful that ends in them being together. I really loved working with her and the emotionality that came of those scenes.

TVLINE | Fans are still campaigning for a movie. Is that something you’d be into if it was a real possibility?
We’d probably have to kick around ideas of how to make it work at this point because it’s been so long, but yeah. I guess part of the charm of it was it wasn’t quite finished, but for some people, that even holds a little bit of mystique in a way. I would have liked to see it, as I said, ended in a more final way. But it is what it was. If there’s a movie, we’ll see.

1. Josef Kostan says:

Would SO rather see a Monnlight movie made with Alex O’Loughlin and Jason!!

2. Jodie N says:

OMG this just made my day! Please make a Veronica movie! LoVe

3. sole says:

YEs! Please!!! Make that movie Happen!!!!! Pretty PleasE!

4. empresslilly says:

Mr. Carpenter looks like the kind character we haven’t seen from Jason before — very self-assured and in control, but without being cocky. I’m intrigued, and very anxious to see what nuances he’s going to bring to his portrayal. It’s been way too long since he’s graced our screens!

5. Sarah says:

Man, I’ve missed Jason… He needs his own show. Such a talent and charisma for days. Love him!

6. Mikaylah says:

I adore him. He was great in both Veronica Mars and Moonlight. It definitely says something about him as an actor that even though those two characters initially seemed like jerks, he makes them lovable. I can’t wait to see him on Ringer!

7. George says:

Hey if Arrested Development coming back why not. I’d also love to see short lived gem TERRIERS on the big screen.

8. Kate says:

Ausiello, thank you so much for being you. I can always count on you to keep the VMars movie dream alive in your interviews. You helped get us more Arrested Development movie, here’s hoping for Veronica Mars’ return!

9. Gina says:

I was hoping you would have an interview with Jason when I found out he would be on The Ringer. Thank you so much! It’s great to hear from him, and I can’t wait to see him on the show tonight!

10. AT says:

Thanks for the interview. I can’t wait to see him in a new role. He always does a great job and is a definite scene stealer. It would have been nice to hear his thoughts on Moonlight too though. Next interview maybe? I would love to see a Veronica Mars movie AND a Moonlight movie. But I’m enjoying “Ringer.”

11. colleen says:

I agree with Sarah, Jason Dohring needs his own show (or at least a major character). Had given up on Ringer but will give it another try for him.

12. Karen says:

Oh how I’ve missed this guy in my life since Veronica Mars ended! It was so unfortunate that VM didn’t get a proper ending. Logan and Veronica weirdly fit together, like a hand in a glove.

13. Stephanie says:

So excited. I literally couldn’t keep the smile off of my face all day, knowing that the Ringer was tonight, and Jason Dohring was beginning his arc! He is such a good actor, and I completely agree with everyone else–he needs his own show (or a lead in a show). I miss seeing him every week.

And thanks for keeping the hope alive for a Veronica Mars movie. I would go see it multiple times–and force everyone I know to see it, also! I love Logan and Veronica (and Wallace, Mac, Keith, and Dick)!

14. Nikki says:

Love him so much, he has been sadly missed on my tv screen. Can’t wait!!!

15. torotnogirl98 says:

I love every role Jason does and would die for more LoVe, and a moonlight movie would be great too. I can’t wait to see Jason tonight on Ringer

16. hm says:

damn. i only watched the first ep of ringer and didn’t get in to it, so haven’t made a point of watching since. and since it’s not available of demand, don’t really have a good way of catching up. but i LOVE jd! might have to tune in just for this.

17. ash says:

thinking about skipping over the 3 episodes i have dvred and watching this one tonight so i can see jason… love him.

18. Cyndi says:

Yes please let us have a VMars movie, or even a book.

19. Nanner says:

Oh please let there be a VMars movie!!! C’mon, AD is getting theirs! And I might have to start dvr’ing Ringer now…

20. Mandy says:

The announcement that Jason Dohring was joining this show is literally the only reason I have kept watching. I adore him and will watch anything he does!
    Can’t wait to see more of him on my TV.
    I so miss VMars

21. Pauline says:

My.. he really looks like Ryan Gosling, in term of acting but also physically..almost uncanny..And Ryan is the ‘it’ movie star right now he even list as one of the most ‘influential’ man of this year in AskMen poll..Why can’t it be for Jason ? I would love to see him in a Tarantino, Coen Brothers, Scorsese movie, he has the intense charisma for this..Do it Hollywood !!!!!

22. JC says:

Please make the Veronica Mars movie Warner Brothers!!! what more do you want? We have written you tons of emails and you still haven’t replied what the hell?

23. d says:

I loved Jason Dohring in VM.
    It is very sad that we won’t be able to get a proper ending
    for this amazing show. One more episode or even script for closer
    would have been great…
    He did a great job in Ringer, there is no doubt this
    guy has an amazing charisma.
    I always wondered how come he didn’t get good part since VM.

24. Lisa says:

I don’t know, that look between Veronica and Logan at the end of that last episode was pretty poignant. It’s obvious that they still love each other and it was like both of them WERE together at the end of the show. I still would have liked to have seen them together.

25. Robin says:

I really don’t get why Jason doesn’t have his own show. People literally rave about him, and yet inferior actors keep getting the roles. Time for an agent change? He’s the best actor on Ringer right now (right up there with SMG IMO). He’s a heck of a lot better than the guy playing Gemma’s cheating husband. Wish Jason had a leading role, but I’ll take what I can get. As long as he’s on Ringer, I’ll keep watching no matter what. He projects so much emotion just in his eyes. He’s an intense actor.

• lulu says:

Right in the money, he has the same intense and captivating acting as guys like Ryan Gosling, Christian Bale or Ed Norton or even a young Mickey Rourke..and these guys are movie stars..don’t get he is still in a CW tv show..insane..

26. aquarius1271 says:

He’s lovely and Veronica Mars is one of my all time favourite shows. Get me a new series or movie or TV movie any day and I will love to devour it to the very last second. But for now, this guest arc on Ringer will suffice. Welcome back Jason!

27. Jay says:

Love him but Ringer is getting harder and harder to watch.

28. lindsay says:

Still holding out for a veronica mars movie!