Alona Tal Previews Her Supernatural Return and Dean and Jo's Unresolved Feelings

Last time we saw hunter Jo Harvelle in Season 5 of Supernatural, she was sacrificing herself for the greater good as hellhounds descended upon her rigged-to-blow hideout. But in this week’s episode (Friday, 9/8c on The CW), Jo returns much more at peace, says her portrayer Alona Tal. It helps that she’s, you know, dead.

TVLine chatted with Tal about what brings Jo back to the Supernatural world (duh, Dean), her final moments pre-death — yes, we’re talking about that kiss! — and her buzzy new FX pilot Powers.

TVLINE | What was your reaction when you heard they wanted to bring Jo back for an episode?
I went, “About time!” [Laughs] In my mind, internally, I said, “It’s about time.” I was happy. I said several times throughout the last two years, whenever it works out and they do want me back, I’m always game, and I’m always excited to go back there. It’s a fun place to go back to.

Supernatural Photos: Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters Stop By for a Bite

TVLINE | What was it like coming back after being away from the show for a while?
It’s exciting. It’s a little bit like you’re going home, because you know everybody. That’s a wonderful part about the show is that 90% of [the crew] are the same. You don’t have to get to know new people again. It feels like, “Oh my God! I haven’t seen you in a while!” and pick up where you left off. It’s comfortable and welcoming in that sense. As far as the character goes, you go back to a character you haven’t touched in three years, and you’ve grown as a person. You just try and mirror that to the character because the character doesn’t just pick up where it left off. Obviously, she died. So there’s been some issues.

TVLINE | How would you say Jo has changed since we last saw her?
Other than being dead? I think that there’s a level of – this is all assumption — but they say when somebody dies, there’s clarity that comes with it, and there’s a different level of comfortability. That uneasiness that people have when they’re alive, from the stories we’ve heard, seems to go away when one is dead because you’re in the spirit world. It’s a completely different world. She’s just relaxed and not angry.

TVLINE | What brings her back?
There is an Egyptian God who finds people who are guilty or feel guilty, have guilt in their hearts, and basically judges them based on this guilt. This Egyptian God puts Dean on trial for his guilt, and one of the things that he [feels] guilty about is me. That I sacrificed myself for them — and him in particular because he knew my feelings.

Supernatural: Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki on Being Hunted, Dean’s Guilt and Moving On

TVLINE | Speaking of feelings… The last scene before she died was of Dean kissing her. Is that brought up in the episode?
It’s not so much the kiss. The kiss was irrelevant. It wasn’t the point of the scene even then. It was more of a goodbye than a kiss. It was more one person really seeing another and thanking them and appreciating them. For him, at that particular moment, there was no other way to express it but with a kiss. There was that awkward, long silence right before the kiss. It’s because what can one say? The kiss says so much more. So there’s no need to really bring it up. I think what is brought up is just the obvious unsolved, unresolved [feelings]. It’s always brought up whenever Dean and Jo are in the same room.

TVLINE | Does she get a little bit of closure about Dean?
Everybody will have to see it and [decide] for themselves. ‘Cause there are interesting exchanges between them.

TVLINE | What is Dean’s reaction like to seeing her again?
From what I could tell, just surprise. … Imagine somebody you care about that you obviously have guilt issues over and then you see their face. There’s so much you want to say, and I think that’s what you get from him. He wants to say more. And he wants to have a better communication.

TVLINE | Did you get to interact with Sam too or is it just Dean?
It’s both of them. I can’t just do Dean. I have to have a little Sammy.

TVLINE | What can you say about your FX pilot Powers? Are you part of the regular cast if gets picked up?
Yes, I am. If anybody doesn’t know Powers, look it up because it’s a wonderful comic by Brian Michael Bendis. Powers is basically a cop drama set in a world where people have powers. These people have different levels of powers. … I’m playing one of the very powerful ones. I play Zora. She’s lived for thousands of years. She’s very strong. Very badass. Doesn’t give an eff about anybody. She’s not trying to be liked by anybody. [It's a] very gritty pilot. Jason Patric’s in it. Vinnie Jones is in it. Lucy Punch is in it. We have some really, really, really good people in this pilot, and some really good people behind it.

FX Boss Sees Powers as Chance to Do Serious, Gritty Take on Superhero Drama

TVLINE | When do you find out if the show is picked up or not?
I’m hoping to find out very soon. I’m hoping very, very soon. So if everybody can cross their fingers out there for me in the next month… Let’s give it a month. I won’t ask for people to cross their fingers for longer than that.

1. Autumn says:

I love Dean and Jo! I can’t wait for this. I’ve stopped watching Supernatural but I plan on tuning back in. Live. And I hope Powers gets picked up. It sounds like something I would be interested in.

2. trackerem says:

love for alona to be back, not so much for the guilt with dean although it has to be addressed sometime! so lets get this show on the road! bring in on!

3. Tiffany says:

This is an episode I’ve been excited for since it first started being teased. I love that Jo’s back!

4. Snapy says:

I will always love her as Meg.

• @Snapy says:

That was what I came here to say. Plus, she seems no nice!
      Crossing my fingers for her!!

• Courtnay says:

She is the sweetest person. My friend was a PA at a convention she was at, and she called me, put Alona on the phone to wish me happy birthday (because it was the same weekend as my birthday that year, and my friend knew I adored her because of Meg), and while we were talking her husband called on her phone and she ignored it and kept talking to me!

5. jjana says:

i really really hope they don t go there.are they just going to pretend the lisa storyline never happened?probably

6. Hali says:

I love that now that she’s been killed off, people all of a sudden love Jo (and are actually excited about her coming back…?).

• Brooke says:

Maybe the people who are excited are the people who liked her all along. We didn’t ALL hate her.

• Snapy says:

I’ve liked Jo since her first appearance, and I also even loved Bella. And the original Meg. The only major young female character on Supernatural I hated was Ruby (both of them).

• AT says:

There have always been people who liked her character. Unfortunately some of the noisy fans convinced themselves they represented most of the fans and the writers foolishly listened and wrote her out of the series. Like minded people tend to group together and then get the idea that because the people they’ve surrounded themselves with think the same as they do, that that’s how all the other fans think too. But that’s just not the case. Jo actually has fans. I personally can’t wait to see her character return.

• Hali says:

I honestly didn’t know Jo fans existed lol… when her character first came on in season 2 I felt like I was the only one who liked her.

• Carrie says:

I never had a problem with her, either. I didn’t necessarily think she was right for Dean, but she never bugged me. I really liked her when she became a hunter. Her death was very sad. I’m glad she’s back.

7. Melissa Walker says:

Alona Tal, how so awesome?

Jo, I miss you. So do Sam and Dean.

8. shaun says:

I think Anna is the girl Dean misses most :)

9. AT says:

I can’t wait to see Jo’s return tonight. It certainly sounds interesting. I’ve always thought Dean’s had a soft spot for her. Out of all the girls, she seemed the most right for him.

10. shukar says:

I really hope they do not try and retcon something which wasn’t there. I also hope they do not ruin the development the character had in season 5 in AAH.

I am personally dreading her coming back.

• Carrie says:

I don’t see anything in this interview that suggests they’re making up something that wasn’t there to begin with. Dean and Jo had a complicated relationship. She had feelings he didn’t quite return, she blamed John for her father’s death and Dean feels guilt over her death because she and Ellen sacrificed themselves so that Dean and Sam could attempt to defeat Lucifer. No one is saying they had a great love affair or that Jo is coming back for revenge. I think it’s going to be a good episode.

11. Jamie says:

Wow. It’s great to see there are other Jo fans out there. It bugged the hell out of me when she was alive on the show but never around or even mentioned. Once they killed her off I figured most of the fans were probably happy. Guess there are more of us who were sad to see her go and glad to see her return, whenever possible. Can’t wait for this episode and Powers, Anna! Fingers crossed! :)

12. Drew says:

I have always loved Jo, and am a big fan of Alona’s. I really enjoyed this episode, but there’s one question that they never answered…

When Sam and Dean saw Ash in Heaven, he said that he couldn’t find certain people up there. Ellen, Jo, John, Mary… he cracked Heaven’s code, but he had never been able to find them. I always thought that there could be an interesting reason for this (possibly related to the strange warehouse where Crowley went looking for Death at the end of season 5, but quickly walked away from).

Either way, I loved the Dean/Jo interaction. She was family. Whether that meant sister or love interest was kinda complicated, but she was just meant to be a part of their group. The portrait that they took with Dean, Sam, Ellen, Bobby, Jo and Castiel… to me, those people define the show in many ways. I think that Dean should go back to Lisa at the end of all this, don’t get me wrong. This episode showed that he’s not the old Dean, playing the field and lovin’ the ladies left and right. He’s grown up. He had a family. And I wish that he had some guilt over what he did to that family, because it was pretty messed up.

13. veebee says:

I thought Jo was meant for Dean. I didn’t mind her. And I agree the death scene with her mother (who I never cared for) was so heartbreaking! I never thought Supernatural would make me cry. If only they could bring Jo back again somehow.

14. impo says:

Uhh, I hated that Lisa storyline. Smacked of desperation writing, trying to find someone for Dean in transition. Very stupid and absolutely no chemistry. Glad they dropped it.

15. deansmistress22 says:

I love Alona and I am always happy when she is on something. Jo’s character has grown so much and she is just so compleatly like able.
    I loved the Dean/Jo moments. They were very telling in so many ways.

& Bc she still is a ghost at the end of the episode unlike when John came back and disappeared in a bright light or the woman who was killed by the crazy guy (in the car episode idk what it was) who went into the light. Jo just kind of flashed and crackled away. So she is still out there and still doesn’t have peace. I just want Jo to have peace!!! Who else is with me????

16. Ella says:

I’m annoyed that there was no mention of Castiel in this episode. He is definitely a loss Dean should feel guilty about. Then again, it could be because he isn’t dead…

17. LMMM says:

18. AB Green says:

@Ella, there was no mention of Castiel in this episode BECAUSE it was meant for DEAN & JO, ffs stop bitching, other characters are just as important and need closure more than Castiel, after all he’s JUST an Angel and Jo is HUMAN!! As much as I love Castiel, I’ll NEVER love him as MUCH as I love Jo, she was the best character in that show, to me. I’m quite obsessed with Alona too, and hope to see her in more things. I loved her as Meg and fell in love with her as Jo, she’s so freakin likeable, more than anyone I know! Btw, she she is the most heroic supproting character ever, she gave up her life to save Dean’s, without thinking twice!!

19. kurtdecena says:

hope she become permanent in the show!!! miss her sweet & funny moments with dean…!!!! :{

20. LMMM says:

Why doesn’t the moderator ban this person for mentioning where they can view a show online like they banned me for mentioning Sidereel?

21. LMMM says:

Why doesn’t the moderator ban this person for mentioning where theycan view a show online like they banned me for mentioning SideReel

22. LMMM says: