The Secret Circle Preview: Shelley Hennig and Thomas Dekker Reignite Diana and Adam's Spark

When you’re bound to four other people by a spell, it can be hard to find alone time with your boyfriend. So Diana takes it upon herself to recreate some magic (of the romantic variety) by planning a date night with Adam on The Secret Circle this Thursday (The CW, 9/8c).

Spicing up their romance, though, won’t necessarily be easy, considering the two have been together for three years — which in high school terms roughly translates to a very long time.

Secret Circle: 6 Burning Questions Answered

“I don’t think they’re tired of each other,” says Thomas Dekker during a Vancouver set visit arranged by Warner Bros TV. “But ultimately, the oxymoron of what’s great about their relationship and what’s bad about it is [how] comfortable they are together.” The two have an “unspoken language” and an ability to really be “at ease” with each other, but it comes with a downside. “It’s not necessarily exciting in that same way [that it used to be],” continues Dekker. “It’s sort of like a long marriage. Maybe in teen years, that’s what it is.”

For Shelley Hennig, it’s that “really strong and long history” that make Diana and Adam a couple to root for — despite Adam and Cassie’s pull toward each other. “Diana and Adam have a really special connection and a really great relationship, regardless of what’s happening with Cassie,” she says, comparing the couple’s romance to The Notebook and Sweet Home Alabama, movies where you find yourself wanting the heroine to reconnect with her first love. “I don’t know about you, but when I watch, I always want them to go back to their roots,” she explains.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Secret Circle, Grey’s, NCIS: LA, Castle, Criminal Minds and More!

As Diana and Adam try to reignite the spark in their relationship, the series will delve into their roots and “who Diana and Adam are as a couple, what’s their history, what are they really like together,” previews Dekker. And from the sound of this cryptic tease from Hennig, it seems like the exploration will be…revealing: “Diana and Adam are going to surprise you. You’ll be surprised at what their relationship really is when they’re not doing witchcraft – or maybe when they are doing witchcraft.”  Then she pointedly adds, “Alone!”

But the Cassie issue can’t be ignored, and it will cause “ups and downs” for the pair, says Hennig. Adam and Diana “truly do love each other,” she explains. “But Cassie brings in another element of confusion.”

Scoop: Secret Circle Gets Major Smallville Infusion

That turmoil will only grow if someone new ever catches Diana’s eye, which is definitely a possibility this season because, let’s face it, we’re talking about a teen drama on The CW. “That might very well happen,” confirms Dekker. And should it, he thinks Adams would be “devastated.”

“This is something that we’re trying to focus on in the show – yes, Cassie and Adam have this fate that they can’t fight, but that doesn’t mean Diana and Adam don’t love each other. They really do,” he explains. “It’s a very complex situation with these two people who care immensely for each other, but there’s this tidal wave that’s just crashing over and over.”

Naturally, that means Chance Harbor’s love triangle is only going to get more complex, says Dekker. And where there’s a messy love triangle, there’s usually heartbreak not too far behind, so it’s no surprise that things get “very heavy and sad,” adds the actor. “Quite tragic.”

Secret Circle fans, are you rooting for Adam and Diana? Or do you prefer Adam and Cassie? (Hint: Stayed tuned to TVLine for more on that pairing.)

1. K says:

Not rooting for Cassie/ Adam OR Diana/ Adam. Faye/ Diana all the way.

2. murley says:

i must confess i am rooting for cassie and adam. but i like that diana and adam’s relationship has depth and that they really love each other. it makes for a more engaging story when you can actually root for the other girl/couple too.

3. katie says:

DEFINITELY rooting for Adam/Diana. Everything about Adam and Cassie is soo unbearably cliche. Plus, I don’t find Cassie to be very likeable yet. I’d rather they develop something with her and Nick; then maybe she’d be more interesting.

4. gabhainn says:

It’s obvious their building towards Cassie and Adam’s big moment, which means the heartache is headed towards Diana. I haven’t read the books, nor will I, so I’m not sure if this is something that happens over there. I wish people would stop trying to mention Faye and Diana as a couple. Just because they’re both attractive doesn’t mean they should be together.

• Russ says:

Thank you! I don’t know why people keep mentioning Diana and Faye as a couple, it just seems weird and complete disastrous.

5. Gabby says:

Adam and cassie for sure!

6. Peng9803 says:

I thought someone else was going to catch Cassie’s eye and it’s not the guy from MIOBI. It’s someone we already know.

7. guest says:

Maybe I’m a little biased, but having read the books since I was 12 I just don’t think I could ever get into the idea of Adam and Diana. And even if I could, the two actors don’t have any chemistry. I definitely don’t see the Sweet Home Alabama/Notebook angle either. Cassie and Adam are awesome in the books so I hope they don’t completely ruin it. Right now, I’m mostly enjoying the show. But still, if they didn’t want it to even resemble the books they should have just called it a different name with the characters having different names as well. The only character created to even resemble their book character is Faye. I like Cassie on the show for instance, but I think they should have made her more like her character in the book. A truly shy, ordinary girl who becomes extraordinary. Right now, Cassie has been written to be this outsider/loner to exactly resemble Lux. It’s kind of distracting. That said, I still like her and the other characters, but I am a little worried about the direction. And if the writers think Diana is the underdog in this story who we should root for, then they would be wrong. It’s hard to root for something when they’ve already reached their end goal. I just don’t see the soul connection between Adam and Diana than what you see between Noah and Allie. Also, it’s like do you root for Rochester and Jane (the impassioned, soul connection – Adam/Cassie) or for Jane and St. John (the safe, practical choice – Adam/Diana)? While they need to start really making the Adam/Cassie story to be more than about “fate” (which implies lack of free will), they also need to figure out what kind of story they are telling. Many of the rules are still not clear to the audience. Why are the descendants of Puritan witches in Washington? Did they all move there together from New England at some point once it became a state? How many were in the parents’ coven? Can there be more than six in a coven? Maybe they plan on revealing these facts, but people are confused at this point which isn’t good. I do like the show though! These are just little things. :)

8. Lindsay says:

I’ve read the books, so I’m rooting for Adam/Cassie, but I want to see Cassie/Nick just to see Adam’s reaction.

9. Tabitha says:

Cassie and Adam all the way! Their characters have a great storyline to converge and the actors have incredible chemistry.

10. Pheobe says:

does anyone know of any other fansites besides this one??

11. GIL says:

I’m rooting for Cassie/Adam…sorry I am a sucker for these complicated things;-)

12. Lynnette says:

Cassie & Adam all the way! They have amazing chemistry!

13. Kristen says:

I personally don’t like Adam and Diana. I wasn’t against them, until Diana and Cassie were talking at Cassie’s … it seemed as if Diana was indirectly making a threat.
    I appreciate the whole “fate” angle they are playing with Cassie and Adam, but even without that, the chemistry is there. Adam always seems focused on Cassie. Granted, that’s probably how they’ve asked the actor to portray Adam … it’s just what I’ve noticed.

14. Doreen says:

I’m completely for Adam and Cassie- I don’t understand why some people are upset. Maybe if Adam was just randomly attracted to Cassie but they pointed out that they’re “written in the stars”- there’s a pull there that I find really interesting regardless of his relationship with Diana. Its not like he wants to hurt Diana or wants to have feelings for Cassie, its something deeper and their chemistry/acting shows. I don’t think they expected “ew he’s a cheater” from people- instead look at the mystery/fate between them-that’s whats intriguing about the couple, how they’re drawn to each other. And I love the character Diana but fates working against her and she’s never going to win- it’s just not happening.

15. D.Bhargav says:

Adam and Diana are best as i like their relationship and Adam has more feelings for Diana