The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Monday

Coming to your TV this Monday: music videos that pop up, a doctor in the lock-up, a supersized Warehouse 13 finale and a “super” visitor to The Playboy Club. The people have spoken and we’re staying daily* with the TVLine-Up, so here now our picks for the day.

* IMPORTANT NOTE: With a new era comes new parameters. In its daily incarnation, the TVLine-Up will of course flag big premieres and finales as well as cite “noteworthy” regular episodes of a series (i.e. those that we know or have heard to be standouts, boast interesting guest stars, or possess some other intangible “fun” factor). And during these first weeks of the fall, I’ll also invite you to give new shows a second look. Lastly, my lawyer says that as the author, I am also entitled to lob out the occasional wild card, just because.

12/11c Pop-Up Video (VH1) | What are the names of the Black Eyes Peas not named Fergie or How many vinyl trees died to make Gaga’s costume? VH1 returns to its music-vid heyday with this daily dose of edutainment. Sneak peek example: Check out Britney Spears’ “Till the World Ends.”

8 pm How I Met Your Mother (CBS) | The bad news: After Robin assaults a girl who’s out to ruin Barney’s relationship, she is court-ordered to begin therapy sessions. The good news: Hello, Dr. Kal Penn!

8 pm Terra Nova (Fox) | While Jim helps Commander Taylor deal with a pack of pterosaurs (sounds pterrifying!), wife Elisabeth discovers that an old flame is also living at the colony. Out of all the prehistoric settlements at the end of a cosmic wormhole in all the world….

8 pm The Lying Game (ABC Family) | Tables, turned: While Emma continues to lead Sutton’s complicated life — blackmailed along the way by her own visiting stepbrother — Sutton is forced to step into Emma’s shoes out in Nevada.

8 pm Prohibition (PBS) | Part 2 of this new Ken Burns docuseries includes an examination of how alcoholism rose as a result of women being allowed into speakeasies, whereas previously saloons were men-only.

Fox’s Terra Nova: 10 Burning Questions Answered!

9 pm House (Fox) | The new season kicks off with House behind bars, though there’s a twist as to exactly why he landed there. Thanks to a time jump (and pesky prison overpopulation), he has just five more days to serve, but man, they turn out to be a tough five days. Odette Annable joins the cast as a prison doctor who learns a (bad) thing or two from House, while 24‘s Jude Ciccolella guest-stars as a gang leader who exacts a stiff “exit tax” on the outgoing inmate.

9 pm Hart of Dixie (The CW) | Zoe is subject to personal humiliation when her participation in a parade float is not nearly as successful as Ferris Bueller’s. Professionally, she gets the not-so-good word from George that she needs to bring in 30 percent of the business to keep Breeland’s mitts off her half of the practice.

9 pm Warehouse 13 (Syfy) | Two-hour Season 3 finale: Pete and Myka’s pursuit of a top-secret file pinched from the warehouse leads them to a Wyoming high school where HG Wells is giving new mean to to the phrase, “Hot for teacher.”

9:30 pm Mike & Molly (CBS) | William Sanderson of Deadwood and Larry, Darryl and Darryl fame guest stars as Mike’s mom’s boyfriend — and he’s got a surprise for his best girl.

10 pm Hawaii Five-0 (CBS) | Chin Ho worries when Kono starts hanging out with a group of dirty ex-cops — Dirty Sexy Money‘s William Baldwin included.

10 pm Castle (ABC) | A crime scene conspicuously missing a victim leads Beckett and Castle into the world of cryogenic life extension. Die Hard nuisance William Atherton guest stars.

10 pm The Playboy Club (NBC) | NBC is in no rush to close the doors here (says Deadline), so for now enjoy Smallville alum Cassidy Freeman’s debut as a socialite who accompanies Nick to photo ops all the while desiring someone else. (I haven’t been too subtle about her secret, have I?) Elsewhere, a new bunny has a hidden agenda.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Heather says:

I am very much looking forward to Terra Nova. It is a good story and the effects are great. The Austrailian background gives it a very real feel.

2. Sam says:

“The new season kicks off with House behind bars, though there’s a twist as to exactly why he landed there.
    Ummm, did we watch the same premiere (or even the finale)? It’s pretty damn obvious why he’s in prison.

• Nichole says:

Maybe the twist is how he got from the beach to the jail.

• Jason says:

Ummm, I’ve seen the premiere and there IS a twist as to the circumstances that led to House actually being in prison, last season’s finale “crash” notwithstanding.

• May says:

Did we watch the same premiere? There is a twist as to why – why exactly – he’s in jail. But I can’t say it cause, you know… spoiler.

• Sam says:

Yeah, pulling some patronizing explanation out of one’s a$s is not a “twist.” Deliberately smashing your car into a populated home is a violent crime and grounds for incarceration; regardless of alleged crappy lawyers, plea deals or priors.

• Russ says:

There is another factor as to why he is in jail, yes smashing the car into the house is serious and would probably get you jail time or something close to it. But I”ve seen the premiere and the twist happens after crashing the car.

• Sam says:

Uh, I’ve seen the premiere too and this “twist” is a fraudulent piece of non-information. So he declined a lawyer and represented himself, so he didn’t fight the charges and “accepted” the sentence offered–is that supposed to make House a martyr? Because if House wasn’t trying to “punish” himself then he somehow would have avoided jail time?

• Russ says:

Oh.. I thought the twist was that he fled the country or tried to. Did that happen or did I make that up?

• D says:

@Sam, yeah, that’s exactly what you were supposed to take from that scene. What should happen and what can happen are two different things.

3. Katy says:

I’m really enjoying “The Playboy Club”… I hope it stays around…

• Matt says:

Me too. I was really expecting it to be some lame T&A fest, given the title, but the story is actually intriguing, and the characters are incredibly likeable, with a surprising amount of depth.

4. stef says:

I finally have a good monday night to watch.
    Terra Nova (awesome)
    Hart of Dixie

• Dave says:

Hart of Dixie is my biggest suprise of the season. I did not think I would like it, but it was just fun and light. Just a fun show to enjoy, nothing but making you smile, and sometimes that is what you need on a Monday night.

• Peter says:

I agree. After a stressful day, you just want to lay down and watch something light and funny, and that’s Hart of Dixie. I enjoyed it, and I’ll keep watching. Just hope crappy GG doesn’t kill HoD.

• Diane says:

I’m a big fan of Hart of Dixie too. It reminds me of the days when the CW had shows like Gilmore Girls. It’s fun and light-hearted.

5. Fernando says:

It’s The Lying Games, Bad Girls Club, The Playboy Club, and Hart of Dixie for me tonight

6. Liz says:

Finally a Cuddy-free House, YAY! The woman annoyed the hell out of me with her annoying habit of trying to change House whenever she can. Bring it on, let’s get the party started! :D

• doddle says:

yep for the last season, they have the good idea to stop with 3 poor seasons. What a nightmare they gave us.

• QWERTY says:

Ah, the simple-minded [H]ousefly. Cuddy’s absence is the only thing they can find exciting about the new season. Bless your heart!

• sara says:

Absence of Huddy is a reason for joy if it means House can move on to more exciting and diverse story arcs. For many fans that story line over played its welcome. Just a few hours more and Hugh Laurie is back as House THAT is the reason we’re happy.

• QWERTY says:

“if it means House can move on to more exciting and diverse story arcs.” Oh yeah yeah, sure, people comment to that effect all the time… and how they’re looking forward to stories with Taub and his double baby drama, and whoever that new girl is, and whoever that other new girl is… and it’s all very exciting.

• D says:

I’m actually looking very forward to all of that. Thanks for dropping in to give your sage insight, though.

• Lea says:

Are you talking about Cuddy or about Cameron here, Liz? Because as far as i know Cameron was the one who always tried to change House, from the first episode to her pathetic goodbye “i tried to change you” It´s a fantastic thing that Cameron is no longer trying to annoy all the people who still enjoy the show with her boring and repetitive attitude.

7. Kyle says:

LOVED the Hart of Dixie pilot last week! One of my new favorite shows of this season!

8. Matt says:

Any reason we didn’t mention 2 Broke Girls? I’ve been finding it to be really enjoyable.

9. Rebecca says:

I’m sticking with Gossip Girl and taping Terra Nova, even though the characters aren’t too interesting yet and the special effects stink. Maybe it’ll get better. I like the premise, and there are lots of great story possibilities though I’m not so sure any of them will ever actually be fulfilled.

Last week’s Hart of Dixie was more than enough for me. What a laughably bad show. So I’ll try to forget that awful thing exists and will check out the return of House, partially to celebrate Cuddy’s absence. I ought to throw a party! Then Hawaii 5-0. And of course, Monday Night Football is always worth a look during commercials or boring parts of other shows.

10. Zoe says:

Woooh it’s Castle Monday!

11. Brandy says:

Lying game,2 broke girls,gossip girl,hart of dixie for me. Im soo glad to read a couple others loved Hart too.

12. SK says:

HIMYM, Lying Game (by force), 2.5 Men, and Castle (saved for Tuesday). Excited to see what Kal Penn’s character will be like, and what the definition of “assault” is!

13. Jayne says:

Your Prohibition listing made me laugh, at first because it seemed a little random, tucked in between dinosaurs and prison escapades (but oddly fitting, now that I think about it). Surely there’s more to an hour + than that … but then, and I don’t guess you meant it this way, the only reason to watch the second night of Prohibition is how women’s equality led to increased alcoholism. :P Or maybe you did.

14. Pam says:

Terra Nova ftw! I just watched it on Friday and was expecting terrible effects but they were not distractingly-bad. However, as a sci-fi nerd, I am used to terrible effects. I thought, overall, it was a fun show.

15. Erin says:

16. Bella says:

Terra Nova’s special effects looks alright,its actually a masterpiece compare to the other shows on SyFy. Also,its a TV show not a 200 million dollar movie,only the writing was weak hopefully it will improve before it is killed by FOX.

17. kevin says:

Hope tonight’s PLAYBOY CLUB ends up being its last but I’m skipping TERRA NOVA ’cause last week’s two hour debut still creeps me out. Still watching more HAWAII FIVE-O only but Fox may better get their act together on whether Season Eight of HOUSE will be its last without Cuddy this year and the medical drama could lose some of its viewers and HART OF DIXIE still one of the worst new shows I ever seen ’cause it stars Rachel Bilson.

18. Lisa says:

WooHoo! Can’t wait for Warehouse 13 Two-hour Season 3 finale

19. Lisa says:

I will tape Terra Nova for possible viewing at a later date.

20. fugly says:

Uh, what about GG??? You put on Pop Up Video, but nothing about those wacky upper eastsiders?

21. Jeanne says:

Well, NBC can push Playboy Club and any other show it wants. But after the stunts they’ve pulled with Chuck who has a very strong fan base, why get into any NBC show? They’ll just cancel it anyway. I’m sticking with CBS and ABC for now.

22. Geri says:

I love the playboy club finally something worth watching on Monday

23. Gavin says:

DWTS and Castle !!!
    No 2.5 man for me. It sucks without Charlie. And if I have to take another fat joke from M&M, I will pass out. Awful
    dvr House &Terra Nova

24. kathleen says:

House Thank God its back! Tonites episode was Great! Glad Cuddy is gone let House do what he does best!can’t till next episode.