Fringe Bosses Reassure Joshua Jackson Fans, Promise More 'Mind-Blowing' Cases Than Ever

As Fox’s Fringe returns this Friday at 9/8c to a world in which Peter Bishop has ceased to exist, executive producers JH Wyman and Jeff Pinkner have an important message for Joshua Jackson’s fans.

“People shouldn’t worry,” Wyman told TVLine when we invited the show bosses to reassure Jackson’s supporters. “We can’t imagine telling the series and the story without him.”

“Look, Peter is part of the DNA of the show. We’ve done some pretty crazy things in the past where people were always like, ‘Well, wait a minute. Why are they doing that? What’s going on?'” adds Pinkner. “Hopefully in Season 4, people will trust us enough to realize that we are doing things for a reason. To sort of have Fringe without Peter in some way, shape or form is really not Fringe.”

Fringe Exclusive: John Noble Shares a ‘Wonderful’ Reunion With Joshua Jackson

Wyman reiterates, “Yes, Peter is part of the [show's] DNA and he’ll always be that. [And] just because he doesn’t exist doesn’t mean that the three years that we’ve all invested in and watched does not exist. It really did happen.”

So why “erase” Peter? In the way that Walter in some versions of events is the big baddie of this piece, the producers wanted to offer a view of the Fringe canvas through a new looking glass. “The idea that Peter is gone — and ultimately he’s not permanently gone — is an opportunity to sort of recontextualize the story of everything we’ve seen,” says Pinkner.

Other topics covered by the EPs in a conference call this week:

LINCOLN LEE | Previously mainly seen in the Other world, our version of the G-man (played by Seth Gabel) will fast (though not easily!) get wrapped up in Walter and Olivia’s latest brain-scratchers. “We’re kind of in love with the theme of having this guy come in and have to go into a very strange world and [realize] that everything he thought was true is no longer valid,” says Pinkner. “He’s going to have to put back together a psyche that has been sort of fractured by this knowledge that he really shouldn’t have.”

Joshua Jackson Cheers Fringe‘s Vanishing Act – and How It Will Save the Peter/Olivia Romance

BLASTS FROM THE PAST | “Yes, there will be returning faces,” Pinkner tells us. “We hate to spoil things, but there will be characters that you’ll be delighted to see again, hopefully some that you’ll be surprised to see again, and some you may have seen before that come back in a completely different context.”

LET’S GO, ORANGE! | Fringe‘s new title cards, previously blue or red, have acquired a new hue. “The significance of the color is simply just to put out the notion that this is the universe without Peter in it.”

EVIL TWIN PIQUED | Though now ostensibly collaborating with Our team, “Walternate, despite all promises to the contrary, is still a bad guy manipulating things behind the scenes,” assures Pinkner.

MORE MIND-BLOWING THAN EVER? | “We have a slew of really crazy, hopefully thought-provoking, far-out cases that deal with time travel, out-of-control biology, and humans who either for very understandable and sometimes not so understandable reasons, are messing with the rules of nature and the rules of physics.” Same old, same old, you say? Ha! Watch the merged worlds to double up the freakiness. “This year … more than any other year, we have some mind-blowing standalone stories,” Wyman teases. “Because ‘over there’ is so messed up, and over here is a little suspicious as well right now, it gives us carte blanche to push our imaginations to the hilt and see some really cool things realized.”

1. Emily says:

Gosh, I am so excited. I haven’t watched any premieres on time yet, but I don’t dare miss this one. #WhereisPeterBishop?

• Alana V. says:

I absolutely LOVE Joshua Jackson! It wasn’t the same without him in last nights episode. Walter wasn’t the same either. Hope to see him again soon!

• Mary says:

Ya seems like Peter kept Walter somewhat grounded. He (Walter) seems much more like he’s “coming apart at the hinges” without Peter around. We definitely need Peter back!

• Brin says:

Of course it’s not the same. It’s not supposed to be. As a fan, I was like, WTF?, but as a writer I totally get it. It’s about the story, and think about all the interesting stories the writers can tell in this “new reality”. It’s like a reboot or relaunch of a superhero franchise or sci-fi series: it’s still going to be the same series/franchise that we know and love (and basically the same characters) but with a slightly different interpretation this time around. Nobody wants to tell the same story or the same type of story over and over because that gets old very fast. Personally, I think this “reboot” is just what Fringe needs to keep it fresh and clever for a few more seasons.

2. Mikaylah says:

I love Fringe, but I really do not want it without Peter. I trust them, I just hope we see him again SOON.

• br says:

I don’t want Fringe without Peter either, but I think it will take quite long to have him back in the show. Although it looks like they’re going to show Joshua Jackson in the earlier episodes playing some kind of apparition for a few seconds.

3. GF says:

Here is my mostly spoiler-free review of the first two epsiodes… and there is certainly a good deal of Peter coming: http://geekfurious.blogspot.com/2011/09/fringe-season-4-episodes-1-and-2-review.html

4. Guess says:

Fringe is BACK!!!

5. Kay says:

I am so excited for Fringe tonight that I am starting to worry now if my anticipation is too high for them to deliver!

6. Coeur says:

finallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Amy says:

CANNOT wait! Glad it is not really a question that Peter is coming back. Fringe would be sad without him. So excited for more Lincoln Lee – absolutely love him.

8. Trish says:

I can’t wait to see old characters pop up again in new contexts. Of course, I’m the kind of person who likes cover versions of popular songs. I like to see how someone takes the familiar and reimagines it.

What’s nice with Fringe is that what happened in the original three years will still stand, according to the producers.

9. Bella says:

I love Fringe. And I love Peter. I am trusting that the powers that be are going somewhere really great with this and that we won’t be disappointed. That’s a lot of trust, because I’ve been disappointed over and over again with what shows have done – to the point that I stopped watching the show. I don’t think these guys have ever played games with the fans, though, so while I’m apprehensive, I’m also interested to see what happens with the show and with Peter’s storyline.

• carol maciejewski says:

I am not happy with Peter not there. Everyone was like strangers to each other. Very rude, none of the usual comraderie. Peter is what makes the connection between all of them. Walter is lost without him, Olivia is back to being very stand offish.

10. Rex says:

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH!!!!! CAN’T WAIT FOR FRINGE TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!

11. Megan says:

So excited for fringe to be back! I can’t wait! And why am I the only one who seems to think that John Noble is the best actor currently on television? I have always thought he was amazing, but seeing such a stark contrast between Walter and Walternate has multiplied my love for him by 1000!

12. RKron says:

Is it too much to wish that Fringe got more viewers than Glee…
    Anyhoo, I can’t believe I survived the hiatus. This is going to be another great year. Remember to watch LIVE fans!

13. susela says:

But if Peter doesn’t exist, what was the precipitating event that opened a path between the worlds? Walter wouldn’t have needed to save Peter, wouldn’t have brought him back to this world, etc., etc. How would Walternate even be here? I am sooooo confused.

• Terrence says:

Susia: walter explained that peter downed when they came back to ‘over here’ hense the rift was still made, just peter didnt make it since there wouldnt have been a bald man to save him.

14. AJ says:

People have said I was crazy all last season talking about the Yellowverse. Guess what color the opening credits just were.

15. DL says:

Did anyone else notice the weird electronic sound from the Emmys pop up again?

16. Jeff Lynch says:

Lincoln Lee is so hot. He is my new imaginary boyfriend now that Scotty Wandell is no more with the cancellation of Brothers & Sisters.

17. O says:

The premier was AWESOME! Can’t wait for the rest!!!

18. Sam says:

“We can’t imagine telling the series and the story without him”

Huh? Isn’t this exactly, what they’re doing?

19. Margot says:

I am as confused and perplexed as you! There are still two universes and both are still in trouble with Fringe divisions running around trying to fix things. Sowhat cause Peters disappearance??? The problems are the result of Walter stealing Peter. So how does Peter vanish. In this new time line what does everyone think initiated all these Fringe events?
    Help me please. I’m Lost (another show I still miss despite it’s cop out finale)

20. Scott says:

The episode last night lacked punch. I hope Peter comes back n soon or they’ll most likely lose me. no interest in a dose of Lincoln as a replacement

• Kreitsauce says:

Lincoln isn’t so much a replacement as an addition. He’s travelling Olivia’s path into the weird world of Fringe, and offers new viewers a fresh set of eyes. Peter will be back once the writers firmly establish that life without Peter sucks for everyone involved. My thing is…if Walternate was cold and calculating when he only wanted his son back, how much worse will he be if Walter crossed over years ago only to somehow accidentally kill Peter instead of cure him?

• Shirley says:

I totally agree with you Scott. Fringe was rubbish without Peter and like you Lincoln as a replacement is a joke for Peter. They had better get there act together and bring Peter back as even if they say Lincoln is not supposed to be a replacement for Peter we all know that is what they are trying to do. So MAD and FURIOUS. I love Joshua Jackson so much and want to turn the tv off especially when they show Joshua Jacksons name at the beginning. JOKE

21. Grace Ohai says:

one of the observers said “they must never know the boy live to be a man” so peter *did* exist, but only as a boy. his illness killed him.

22. Miriam says:

What is up with the observers? I’m confused as to why the timeline is where its supposed to be yet Peter scares Walter when he appears randomly. What does this all mean? In the end the observer did not complete his mission…why??

23. Miriam says:

If peter showed up in the future during the season finale…is it possible Peter hasnt been borned in the prrsent??? Ive had to rewind the episode numerous times trying to mske sense.. hmmmm

24. wont be fooled again says:

Peter in season 2 played a great role…genius, protector of Walter, and friend to Olivia.
    I “trusted” the producers in season 3 when we got Peter for only a few minutes in many episodes…no Peter in others, and few good lines in the episodes he was in.
    Sorry. I did not watch the season premier. If it’s not cancelled before Peter is really back, then I can catch on Fox’s website.
    Too bad. They really picked a wrong direction to go in season 3.

• WWP says:

Are you insane? The ENTIRE season was about Peter.

• wont be fooled again says:

Clearly you don’t get that many fans want to SEEEE Peter actually in the show and not not just have the show be “about” him. Too much Olivia, Bolivia, Fauxlivia, whatever on-screen. After reading the comments here and the latest string of posts on Ausiello’s old site(sorry), it’s clear that Peter’s fans are not investing in this “spirit of Peter” bs either.

25. Carly says:

Fringe is definitely in need of more Peter. It’s not the same without him. I hope he comes back in a big way soon. Also, I was wondering if Peter no longer exists as a man, does that mean that his child with Olivianate no longer exists as well? Is Peter and Olivianate’s child somehow linked to the mission the observer didn’t go through with? Maybe somehow the child still exists and is part and reason of the remnants of Peter that still exist that the observer’s were referring to? So many questions.

26. Sheryl says:

I WANT PETER BACK..HE BETTER BE BACK REAL SOON!

• Shirley Clarke says:

I am utterly gutted about Peter not being in season 4. Why his name appears on the credits at the beginning of the show is beyond me!!! I absolutely adore Joshua Jackson and get so excited for my Joshua Fix in Fringe but it does appear that is now gone. If anyone thinks that Lincoln Lee can be a compensation for my Joshua then they know what they can do. Bring back Peter and bring him back quick as Fringe is just not right without him. Poor Walter is like a lost sheep and is so sad. What the hell do they think they are doing I’m so MAD

• taxgirl says:

You are speaking for many of us. I’m not even bothering with the Peterless episodes. Wyman and Pinker s*ck!!

• Terry Buckler says:

I agree Shirley! My grandson just got me watching Fringe a couple of months ago and we just started Season 4 on Netflix and I am so, so upset that Peter is not there! I usually have a really hard time following these types of shows but had been able to follow all episodes of Fringe pretty good till around the end of 3 and now with 4 I am just so confused! Not enjoying it much at all without Peter. If it weren’t for Walter I would stop watching.

27. Joe Gibbons says:

I’m intrigued by the ghostly residue of Peter. The story seems fresh with Lincoln’s apotheosis as he discovers more revelations about the truth of the mysterious world (or worlds) around him.

28. Cheryl says:

If Peter isn’t back soon, I may tune out!

29. Lisa says:

I don’t care for Seth Gabel at all.

• wahhhhh I want Peter back! says:

Yep Lisa. I think that a lot of us are not impressed with Seth. It shows in the ratings and the loss of Peter to the viewers will result in a quick demise to the show this season. My bet is that Fringe is off the air by Christmas. Total shame.

• Terry Buckler says:

I’m just starting to watch Fringe! My grandson found it on Netflix and we have been watching everyday for the last couple of months and just started Season 4 tonight. I am so disappointed to say the least! Hoping Peter comes back soon or I want be staying!