General Hospital Scoop: Jason and Sam Will Wed, But 'Expect the Unexpected' - and Some Skin!

After years (and years) together, General Hospital‘s Jason and Sam will tie the knot this week (with the storyline culminating Friday, Sept. 23). Of course, this is Port Charles, and nothing in this upstate burg goes off without a hitch — or more often than not, a shootout.

TVLine spoke with daytime vets Kelly Monaco and Steve Burton about what fans can expect from the couple’s double set of I Dos (yes, there are two weddings!). And they told us to“Expect the unexpected.” After all, what would a wedding be without the reappearance of James Franco’s big bad, Franco?

TVLINE | What can fans look forward to in a Jason/Sam wedding? In promos, we’ve seen Sam in a wedding gown, but it looks like there’s also a much more casual ceremony.
MONACO |
You can expect the unexpected, and you get the best of both worlds. We have a little bit of a traditional and an nontraditional ceremony going on.
BURTON | Jason wanted to give Sam a traditional wedding — what every girl dreams of, with the fancy dress and the romance of the day — but he’s a non-traditional guy. He was doing all of this to show her that he’s committed to her, and thankfully they end up having a non-traditional wedding in jeans and T-shirts, in a Chinese restaurant.
MONACO | I loved it! It’s pretty true to the characters. Sam was adamant about not wanting a big to-do, but lo and behold, she got a little bit of both. So, we wind up at the restaurant and get married there, and then we get to go to the church and tell our friends and family that we’re already married…
BURTON | And they don’t really like that very much. [Laughs]
MONACO | No, they don’t. [Laughs] Maxie pretty much faints.
BURTON | It’s a lot of drama leading up to that day, a lot of twists and turns –
MONACO | Even on the actual day there’s a lot of mystery involved.

First All My Children Stars Sign Up for Online Venture

TVLINE | So, they definitely tie the knot. But once they’re at the ceremony, Franco returns?
MONACO | We open these fortune cookies up at the church ceremony –
BURTON | And that’s when he first makes his appearance back. He’ll be around for a little, while causing some trouble for Jason and Sam — but we’ll be ready for him.
MONACO | Watch out, I might have to shoot him. [Laughs] Hey, Jason’s my man!

TVLINE | Were you both excited to finally get to play this, after all of these years together onscreen?
MONACO | Yes! It’s been a lot of ups and downs for us.
BURTON | I don’t even know how many years it’s been for us, but we were ready — and the show was ready to take it to the next step. It just progresses the characters and their lives.
MONACO | Yeah, they’re growing up! Sam put her big girl shoes on.
BURTON | It was time. We’re excited and we’re having fun on the show — that will definitely translate for the fans.

TVLINE | Should we expect to see Carly cause any drama on JaSam’s wedding day?
MONACO | No, because Jason’s motorcycle only fits one. [Laughs] Can you imagine?
BURTON | Jason had to put boundaries up for Carly, and she respects them as much as she can. She’s not on the honeymoon, which is a good start. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Oooh, so Jason and Sam are lucky enough to make it to a honeymoon…?
MONACO | We do have a honeymoon. I’m 99.9 percent sure we’re gonna get some skin.
BURTON | I don’t know what that means, but here we go! [Laughs]

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Daytime TV, Interviews, Previews, Spoilers

1. Charlotte says:

If I can see some shirtless Jason every three to five years, I better get the TiVo Ready! Happy to see this couple finally make it down the aisle. Jason and Sam are too cute together.

2. Kelly Tinler says:

Thanks for the Jasam scoop!! So happy to see that daytime still has a place on the site!

3. Denise says:

Thanks for the GH love! My favorite soap!I am really glad that Jason is starting to put Carly in her place. Now if he would just spend more time with the Q’s (who definately need more screen time).

Have you heard any news on Kirsten Storms medical leave?

4. Sarah says:

We have patiently waited for a long time, through lots of adversity and problems. But wedding day is near, and it is a natural step for a longtime couple that fans have followed for years. GH is fast getting better and better, and with these good, and logical storylines we hope it will be on for years and years more.

5. Lynda says:

I’m so excited for the wedding. Wow to ceremonies, love it, what other couple has gotten that. I love the traditional and non traditional stuff. It’s about time that Jason put boundaries up for Carly. Steve/Kelly are so funny in this interview.

This has been a long time coming for JaSam fans, so I’m excited and I am sure alot of other JaSam fans are as well

6. Jessica says:

I am so excited, there are no words to describe it. Jason and Sam are meant to be and I am so happy that they decided to get married!!!

7. Renee says:

Getting married huh? When I was watching GH I was not a fan of that couple. Found them boring. Was not a fan of the mob so I eventually stopped watching. Too bad.

8. Captain says:

Cannot wait! LOVE THEM! They are my all-time favourite soap couple and I love that their wedding is true to the characters.

9. Patsy says:

I am just so happy that the show is finally marrying Jason and Sam. They were my moms favorite couple. She passed away, 4 yrs. ago, she would have liked that.

10. C.C. says:

Jason and Sam are my all-time favorite couple! I have been waiting for years for them to get married. IMO, they fit together better than anyone else on the show, neither has to change who they are.

11. eveie461 says:

I Always Loved Jason And Sam When They Broke Up I Didnt Watch Gh That Much Once i Found Out They Were Together I Started Watching It Again And Now They Are Stonger Then Before. I Cant Wait To They Get Married Is Going To Be Good. Steve And Kelly Work Great Together.

12. Lyndsey says:

I’ll be honest, I’ve never been a huge Sam fan BUT I think she’s the best romantic option for Jason as she’s the only one that accepts & loves who he is instead of who she wants him to be (unlike Robin or Liz). Sam just needs to back off on her Carly attitude. After all, Carly would have never let Jason’s son get kidnapped or hired guys to wave guns at Liz in front of her children!!! Carly’s always been on Jason’s side no matter what & Sam can’t say the same so she needs to respect their friendship like Carly is trying to respect their relationship. Jason & Carly are why I started watching GH in ’97 while in college so I hope the writers never screw that up. Most of my best friends are guys so I can empathize with Carly in this situation!! LOL

13. Sina says:

The new writers have really been pushing JaSam as THE couple. I love it because the ratings have shown what people really think. LOVE IT!!! I can’t wait until the wedding day and we see the numbers. If going by what the numbers are now, I will be a happy GH viewer. All “supercouples” of the past have been mismatched. That is what made them so romantic. JaSam is too much alike to be a supercouple. They both like to kill people.

14. Jason along with Sam are usually our many-time favourite pair! Photograph awaiting decades for them to hook up with. IMO, they can fit together much better than someone else on the show, not has got to transform who they really are.

15. Mira says:

I absolutely adore these two together! I am so excited for this wedding it has been a long time coming. Sam and Jason work so well together and they have had such a long and endearing love story. Looking back at all they overcame to get to this point is amazing. They are truly soulmates who can triumph over anything thrown their way. They are a strong couple and I really love watching them be in love. So excited for this wedding thank you for the interview, I loved it!

16. lipsticksocialism says:

thank you for the daytime scoop <3 jasam <3 <3

17. DDD says:

I’m blacking out the two weeks of this train wreck! I’ve endured the last 3 1/2 yrs of these two and I’m more than sick of Sam on this show! Give us our vets (not pimping this couple) but good s/l’s!! Get a clue Disney/ABC I’ve watched and supported all three soaps on your network and I’m tired of being pushed around as a consumer and a watcher of soaps!!!!

• A.Kovat says:

I totally agree. They are really boring and I wish they would just have them ride into the sunset and be gone. There are too many much better actors on the show.