Body of Proof Is Back With an Edgier Dana Delany, More Humor, and 'A Lot of Sex' for Someone

ABC’s Body of Proof launches its second season tonight at 10/9c, and unlike some sophomore shows that undergo a bit of tinkering, series lead Dana Delany says that outside of “hookier” cold opens to better hold onto the big Dancing With the Stars audience, this was a circumstance “where everything kind of worked, in a weird way,” so no wholesale changes were made.

Still, the eagle-eyed will spy some welcome tweaks.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Body of Proof‘s Desperate Housewives-Like Premiere

Body of Proof stars Delany as Dr. Megan Hunt, a one time world-class neurosurgeon who, in the wake of an accident that ended her bread-and-butter career, takes a job as a Philadelphia medical examiner who gets perhaps a bit too involved in solving crimes.

With that foundation and its roster of supporting characters established in Season 1, Delany says the show “can afford more humor now,” while Megan’s style will get “a bit edgier and not so ‘main line Philadelphia.'” As she sees it, “When Megan was a neurosurgeon, she was dressing more like she was raised to be dressed, but now she is discovering who she is for the first time.”

Scoop! Body of Proof Parties With All My Children Beauty Chrishell Stause

The rest of the cast, meanwhile, is across-the-board excited to delve deeper into their characters, which is now a big focus.

“The first season you saw a lot of Megan’s life and story, while this season you’re learning more about the others,” says Jeri Ryan, who plays Dr. Kate Murphey, Megan’s boss and the new lover of her ex-husband. “Yeah, things get a little tense in the office” because of the ladies’ common bond, Ryan previews. “It’s a little awkward for everyone, actually.”

Kate must also juggle her new role as a “stepmom” of sorts to Megan’s teenage daughter, Lacey (newly promoted series regular Mary Mouser). “Kate is not a mom and she hadn’t planned on being a mom,” Ryan notes with a laugh. “And now she’s thrown into the middle of this already tense dynamic.” (As is Megan herself, whose meager parental guidance skills are put to the test when Lacey moves in with her mom.)

Matt’s Inside Line: Which Food Network Star Will Guest Star on Body of Proof?

Other developments include greater involvement in problem-solving from Megan’s partner, Medical Investigator Peter Dunlop (played by Nicholas Bishop). “We also find out a little more about his family and his past,” says Bishop. “And then there’s romance — a lot of ‘elevator stuff’ in the workplace.”

No, those close-quarter clinches are not between Peter and Megan (as some viewers wish), but with him and Dani,a new ME staffer to be played by Nathalie Kelley (The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift). “Peter turns into a lothario this season,” Delany tattles. “He has a lot of sex going on, which makes Megan jealous because I don’t have anything going on. That has to change!”

Elsewhere in Megan’s world, we’ll meet the wife of Detective Bud Morris “and know a bit more about his home life,” says John Carroll Lynch; Dr. Ethan Gross, says Geoffrey Arend, “will try to figure out how to connect with humans besides looking at them as just dead bodies”; and we’ll learn why it is that Ethan and sidekick Dr. Curtis Brumfield (Windell D. Middlebrooks) are distinctly dorky BFFs. (Middlebrooks sums it up thusly: “We each want what the other guy has, and since we can’t get it on our own, we might as well be a pair!”)

By taking what scored the show enough fans to merit a Season 2 pick-up, and sprinkling in more character development and a lighter tone, “Every episode that we have done thus far has been as great as the best episode of last season,” Arend, for one, avows. “And that’s really exciting.”

1. xav says:

They should just get rid of the ex-husband and have Kate and Megan interact more. Dana Delany and Jeri Ryan shine that much more in scenes with each other.

• darklady65 says:

yup agreed…..the ex brings nothing to the table in terms of this show and his character is beyond annoying plus i hope they start changing the daughter’s attitude cause i hated her back in season 1 just like the father -_- …. only wish that at least the ex would have been out of the show completely in this new season sigh oh well -_-

• TV addict says:

I don’t know, it was already bad enough that the lead had a whole wardrobe, a younger stud like Peter lined up for her and an instant reputation in something that’s not her field of expertise. Sometimes I thought Det. Bud Morris was the only realistic thing about that place! So it’s good to know that the character will endure some real problems too and Peter has an actual love interst like he should’ve had in real life.

2. Jon says:

My question is, where is Cliff Curtis? When does he come into the picture. He was featured heavily in last season’s promos. And he appears briefly again in promos for this season. I’d like it if he becomes a regular or recurring character too.

• abc123 says:

He probably appeared in the four unaired episodes from season 1. See, season 1 actually had 13 episodes but 4 remained unaired in the US. I’m sure they’ll air as part of season 2, although nothing has been officially announced to the best of my knowledge.

3. DL says:

My favorite actor on the show is honestly John Carroll Lynch. He’s so awesome in everything, from Drew Carey to Zodiac. They really need to give him more to do because he’s so darn versatile. In Season 1 his character was rather bland until the very end when he opened up a bit.

4. Katy says:

We got 12 eps here in UK the last of which aired last week ;) I’ve really enjoyed the show, found it quite original and can’t wait for season 2 :)

• Beverley Carnell says:

Would just like to day we never got 12 eps here in the UK we only got the 9 thst were aired same as the uS and i have the DVD to proove it

5. satirex says:

I like the show, but every episode has so many scenes that basically consist of Megan and Peter standing around flirting with each other. I’m not even sure why he’s there, other than to give Megan someone to talk to, bounce ideas off of, and flirt with.

6. Lisa says:

I don’t care. Last season I found her to be smug and annoying.

7. Lana says:

I really like Lynch too but mostly from Drew when he was his cross dressing brother so I am glad we will see more of his world. I love Megan and her attitude and I love that she is trying to change some, just not too much. I thought it was fun seeing how everyone around her was connecting and she was getting a bit frustrated. I can’t wait to see that one guy who catches her eye, is he going to be on one wild ride!!

8. Daniel says:

Can’t wait to see Nathalie Kelley !!!!!

9. Beverley Carnell says:

I say this season is just as good if not better the sriptwriting is excellent and the humor is brilliant can’t waitto see Peter with some of his conquests.

10. Harriet says:

Please, please, please — get rid of Lacey. She is beyond annoying and adds absolutely nothing to the show. I’m really sorry to hear that she’s been added as a regular. I may stop watching if she pops up too much.

11. Harriet says:

Ditto for me, too. Though for me the ex is less annoying than the daughter.

12. Fran says:

Please get rid of Jeri Ryan. Her over-acting, pouty demeanor adds nothing to the show.

13. sitios says: