Emmys

Emmys 2011: Five Best and Worst Moments

The 2011 Emmy Awards are in the books, and while host Jane Lynch didn’t score nearly as many laughs per minute as last year’s emcee Jimmy Fallon, there were enough deserving and/or surprising winners to salvage the three-hour telecast from the scrap heap. (Raise your hand if you still can’t quite believe voters finally recognized Friday Night Lights‘ Kyle Chandler.)

Anyhow, before we move on to the building and maintenamce of the “Let’s Get Busy Philipps a Nomination for Cougar Town in 2012″ Facebook page, let’s count down the five best and five worst moments from Sunday’s ceremony.

BEST MOMENTS
5) The Office spoof | Characters from a wide range of shows submitted to the Dunder Mifflin confessional, with Law & Order: SVU‘s Det. Benson and Game of Thrones‘ Khal Drogo scoring the biggest laughs. “I hate that no one ever rinses the horse-heart bowl”? Genius.

4) Margo Martindale recovers from her Emmy staircase bobble | There wasn’t a speech all night more effervescent and genuine than what we saw from the Justified character actress. Bonus points to Martindale for deftly steadying herself from a stumble on Emmys steep steps — before Ed O’Neill and Ashton Kutcher could rush to her rescue. Somebody shoulda trotted out that Modern Family punch line: “They’ve gotta fix that step!”

3) Steve Levitan’s wife reacts to his embarrassing public confession | When Levitan (accepting for Best Writing in a Comedy Series) admitted that the central story arc in Modern Family‘s “Caught in the Act” — the Dunphy kids walk into Phil and Claire’s bedroom while they’re in the throes of passion — was taken directly from his life, Emmy cameras caught his wife Krista in a priceless reaction shot that was simultaneously bemused, exasperated, and mortified. As Levitan went on to say, “Thank you to my somewhat satisfied wife and my three traumatized children.” Thank you all, indeed!

2) Ty Burrell’s hilarious acceptance speech | The Modern Family actor tempered his sentimental feelings about his dad not having lived long enough to witness his success as an actor with hilarious musing about how his father would’ve felt about him going to work every day in full makeup. “Couldn’t you just wear a little powder?” asked Burrell, imagining his’s dad words. “Why do you have to look like a harlot?”

1) Pre-trophy hijinks from the Lead Actress in a Comedy Series nominees | As Rob Lowe and Sofia Vergara began to announce the list of category nominees, Amy Poehler triumphantly burst from her seat and took the stage, and her competition gamely followed suit: Melissa McCarthy, Martha Plimpton, a clearly tickled Edie Falco, Tina Fey (who comically bussed Jack McBrayer) and Laura Linney (who paused to exaggeratedly wipe lipstick off her teeth). It was a moment of zany spontaneity, ending with McCarthy’s fellow nominees presenting her with a crown and sash to celebrate her win. “Holy smokes! Wow! It’s my first and best pageant ever,” declared McCarthy* at the start of her speech. Maybe Emmy can hire these women to write next year’s telecast?

WORST MOMENTS
5) Mildred Pearce‘s Guy Pearce giving thanks for his sex scenes with Kate Winslet while accepting the trophy for Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie |“Thank you for allowing me to insert myself into your world of Mildred.” Um, no.

4) Opening musical number | Jane Lynch tried to pick up where Jimmy Fallon’s fantastic musical opening number left off last year, but most of the punch lines flopped like sides of beef being pushed off a diving board. Plus, that opening bit with Leonard Nimoy — where Lynch pretended all TV characters live in the same building — was more confounding than cute. You know you’re in trouble when your own lyrics reference a song being too long and too schlocky midway through the number.

3) Four dudes singing “Hallelujah” upstage the “In Memoriam” segment. | Okay, okay, so Google tells us they were the Canadian Tenors (which is more than the Emmy broadcast did as they were performing). But, honestly, when you’re honoring some of TV’s recently departed greats, you don’t make frequent cutaways to a musical sideshow. Next year, let’s try silence, and let the words of these late actors and writers speak for themselves, okay?

2) Lynch’s “New Jersey” spoof | Our hostess donned a black wig and garish clothes to portray “Donatella Alberghetti Mangiana D’Borgia,” a powerful TV producer responsible for the Jersey-fication of reality television. From the unnecessary Anderson Cooper intro to the stilted line-readings from the Jersey Shore cast, there wasn’t a single laugh in the entire two-minute segment. Where’s Christopher Guest when you need him?

1) The Emmy-Tones | Let me get this straight: Zacahary Levi, Cobie Smulders, Taraji P. Henson, Kate Flannery, Wilmer Valderrama, and Joel McHale (pictured, below, just in case you think it was all a waking nightmare) agree to contribute to the Emmy telecast throughout the evening, and instead of utilizing their comic gifts, you saddle them with tepid tunes introducing each category of awards? That’s not comedy, that’s tragedy!

* Bonus points to McCarthy for added hilariousness in presenting the Lead Actor in a Miniseries of Movie category, congratulating the men of Hollywood for breaking through the stigma of being seen as “handsome, pretty-pretty things to look at” and encouraging them to keep showing “a little sweet shoulder.”

What were your favorite and least favorite moments from the 2011 Emmys? Strongly agree or disagree with any of my picks? Sound off in the comments!

1. Paco says:

I loved the Guy Pearce comment. I thought it was hilarious.

• DL says:

Completely agree. It was totally dirty, but really, really funny. Even Kate Winslet seemed to think so.

• Sidekick says:

Did you notice that his wife was NOT pleased with his comments and Kate received far more compliments about his career than his wife did. And Kate’s kiss on the lips upstaged his wife totally. Think it was a “COOL” night for him at home after that.

• Alicia says:

Oh come on, he’s an actor, I’m sure his wife knows what comes with the territory. Also, Kate kissed Hugh Laurie on the lips as well when she accepted her award. Those Brits, that’s just how they roll ;)

• Elaine says:

Yes, and Hugh’s facial expression was one of “what the hell do you think you’re doing?” when Kate assaulted him with that kiss on the mouth. He drew back, and appeared to neither appreciate nor welcome it. Perhaps if she hadn’t lunged at him, it might have been better received. Bad form, Kate!

• Dustin says:

Wasn’t Kate Winslet and Hugh Laurie in “Sense and senseability” together so there’s a prior relationship there. im sure kate doesnt kiss every brit on the lips.

• Sioban says:

Of course Kate (Winslet!) got a laugh out of it. She’s unpretentious. Have you ever heard her story with Cameron Diaz competing over who could wolf down more food? It was either she or Cameron who told the story on Letterman where Kate put her foot in her mouth and let out a Freudian slip: I could eat you under the table! Yowsas!
        Kate is game for anything! She flashed Leo DiCaprio before her nude scene in Titanic to ease the awkwardness.

• David7118 says:

Totally agree that the Guy Pearce moment was hysterical but I still have a hard time seeing him as anyone but Felicia in The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

• Mary says:

I loved the comment too. I’m a prude but I thought it was hilarious. But more importantly, I’m just glad Guy Pearce finally got some recgonition for his work. He’s a great actor!

• Andy says:

The Guy Pearce acceptance speech was one of my favorite moments of the night. Totally dirty and totally awesome.

• RJ says:

Guy Pearce should be in the top 5 not the bottom 5! Lighten up! It was hysterical!

2. K2 says:

Michael, they did say who the musical group was. Anna Torv said when she came on stage, “Weren’t the Canadian Tenors wonderful?” Of course, I can forgive this since you were probably dazzled by the fabulousness that is Ms. Torv.

• Amanda says:

Still, you should introduce people, not tell everyone after the fact. I also agree that they should not have someone perform during the In Memoriam segment. It’s tacky.

• Centava says:

I actually disagree with this, in part. While it would be more respectful to have it be in silence, it never is! There are ALWAYS people who clap for certain folks, while others pass without comment (ever the popularity contest). By having music/singing over it, you mute out a lot of that rudeness. I do agree they should NOT have continued cutting to the tenors…this is one of those cases where they should have been heard and not seen.

• Kathy says:

It’s particularly tacky since this morning the Emmy people are claiming that they left Jeff Conaway off of the list because of “time constraints”.
        Cut out all those shots of the singers and you could have fit Conaway and all the others they left out.

• Mena says:

I thinn Torv is beautiful, but her look this evening was not good, ppurple earings, burgundy lipstick, black dress and blue shoes…

• Sioban says:

I didn’t hear the announcement and I didn’t catch her saying who they were…Where was I?!

It doesn’t help that I’m Canadian, living in Canada and I was wondering if they were the Canadian Tenors or not, only because I’ve never heard of ‘The American Tenors’! Glad they were part of the show ‘even though they’re Canadian’ … I guess because Josh Groban wasn’t available. Jimmy Kimmel will have to wait until next year to try to corrupt him in public again!

The review fails to mention that Melissa McCarthy was congratulating the men **with Amy Poehler**. That was a good moment!

Loved the Modern Family writer’s wife reacting to his overshare! It was planned, but it was still funny!

3. eli says:

Emmy Awards 2011 Wins for series – Mad Men / Jim Parsons – The Big Bang Theory / Julianna Margulies – The Good Wife

4. Buggie says:

After Guy Pearce’s comment, my husband and I both said it was the best line of the night. Though, Jane Lynch’s Entourage jab was the best scripted line.

• Lisa says:

I liked the Jane Lynch comment too. As far as the opening number, Jimmy didn’t go through different sets last year. I thought it was cleaver, especially the Big Bang set.

I loved the Hallelujah song but I also agree that it would have been better to see clips of the actors and hear their voices. The singing just covers up the clapping or lack thereof for certain people.

• Viola says:

The “all of TV lives together” bit WAS clever, but it wasn’t as funny as last year’s opening number. The whole less-is-more situation.

5. Melissa says:

seriously, how has no one commented on how bad the sound was at the Emmys last night?!

• Elizabeth says:

Totally agree Melissa on the sound – wished it would’ve completely cut out in certain parts, like the oh-so-timely Ricky Gervais segment.

James Franco & Anne Hathaway need to borrow some of Jimmy Fallon’s thank you notes and shoot a couple over to FOX & Mark Burnett for that tragedy.

Poehler & the gals saved that show last night.

• barbara says:

totally agree — when the winners were announced, the voice of the guy who was speaking was totally muffled.

• Lana says:

Thank goddess…I thought I was going deaf! They had seemingly clever quips about all of the winners, but I couldn’t hear any of them. And I had the surround sound on!

• Albert says:

Maybe it’s just your TV set, or your speakers.

• Sarah says:

The sound was GOD AWFUL! I wanted to throw a rock at my TV. How the hell can an awards ceremony be so poorly mic’d? It was as if the audience was clapping in to a tin can.

• Lisa says:

I had no issues what so ever with the sound. Maybe you all watched on the same service provider?

• Rachael says:

Agree about the sound. Not all parts were bad, but it sounded like the audio feed was coming from the balcony at the beginning. I could hear everyone fine, just annoying tin can mic-ing.

• Renee says:

Amen on the sound. I came into the telecast about 45 minutes late, and was appalled at how bad the production was.
      It’s like they’ve never done it live before. And the set was distracting, the camerawork indifferent.

The writers let Jane Lynch down imo, and asking her to sing live was not a great thing. And slow,the thing crawled.

My dream is that all Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Fallon host next year, because then we’d get some great numbers and humor too.

• Abe Froman says:

Yeah… there was some kind of feedback, or whiny sound, every five seconds. It got really annoying.

6. Kim R says:

The girls all going on stage was my favorite moment by far! So funny. I love Melissa & voted for her on your Emmy poll. Thrilled she won. One of my least favorite moments was seeing Charlie Sheen. Too little too late already. Next we’ll have to endure Kate Gosselin. Please…no more! :)

• John B says:

So TOTALLY agree on your Charlie Sheen comment, Kim. That was easily my 1 through 5 Worst Moment of the show. That was the only time I felt so uncomfortable that I switched over to the NFL game.

Best moments: 5) Jane Lynch spoof on the “Jersification” of reality TV (sorry Mike, but that worked for me); 4) Ty Burrell’s acceptance speech; 3) acceptance speech for Best Comedy series; 2) In Memoriam WITH “Hallelujah” performance (but fully agree with no cuts to the singers); and 1) Amy Poehler’s inspiration to have each Best Comedy Actress nominee come up on the stage — and Rob Lowe’s obvious dumbfounded and speechless reaction to it.

7. keeper_tere says:

So that’s why Anna Torn & David Boreanz had that bit about Canada LOL

8. Larry says:

The Modern Family writer made a joke about fixing that step when he won (he even said he’d get Ty Burrell to do it but Ty was in the press room following his win), but it preceded Margo Martindale’s win by a while. I don’t know who the announcer was after each winner was announced, but he wasn’t very good, although my favorite line of his was about Peter Dinklage, “He is a fan of the Marx Brothers. My favorite Marx Brother is Richard.” Loved the Best Comedy Actress presentation. And is David Boreanaz nervous every time he presents, or does he just have zero personality? He always seems like he’d rather be getting his teeth drilled.

• Sue says:

Larry, I think his and most of the other weird faced men was they weren’t able to see the prompter. They should have worn their glasses instead of looking so sour faced.

9. sarahp says:

I loved Jane Lynch’s line about the guys from Entourage explaining why she’s a lesbian. Didn’t love the jab at Ricky Gervais…it seemed a bit self-righteous for her. Maybe it was a joke that I just missed, but it was definitely the low part of her night for me.

I loved the Best Actress ladies so much! My favorite part by far, closely followed by Kyle Chandler.

• Sidekick says:

Very few jokes didn’t bomb last night. Thrilled with the ladies that turned one award into a “pagent” win.

• modean says:

I agree the “pageant” was funny, but I’m sure it was scripted (not spontaneous as the reviewer enthuses). There were no clips of the actresses played, like they did for all the other nominees – and they had the tiara and roses ready. Funny anyway.

• Kyle says:

I agree with you…The Best Actress–Comedy nominees weren’t spontaneous at all. Amy Poehler comes up with something funny for them to do when she is nominated. Two years ago they wore the funny glasses (this was the Supporting Actress–Comedy category).

10. aunt_deen says:

Aw, come on! Guy Pearce was hilarious!

Instead of that, how about the fact that Jeff Conaway was left out of the In Memoriam montage.

11. jennielyn says:

One word for Charlie Sheen–Awkward!!

• William Quinn says:

SOO awkward. We were sitting there trying to figure out whose idea it was for him to present… and why in the WORLD he agreed to do it.

• Lisa says:

I liked that Charlie Sheen was there. I think he did fine with the apology. That said, what is up with his hair? It looks like a wig or a really bad dye job.

• Centava says:

And sooo disingenuous…I didn’t believe a word out of his mouth. And poor Jim Parsons looked like he wanted to fall through the floor with Sheen giving him all these congrats and buddy-buddy back pats…ick…just wish he’d go away.

• Grace says:

SERIOUSLY. I can’t believe no one is talking about that this morning. It was SOOOO cringe-worthy, I was squirming in my seat just thinking “Oh God, get him off the stage. Oh God, get him off the stage.” Who thought that was a good idea??

• Aiden says:

Yes. That was the absolute worst! I was squirming in my seat for that long minute.

Although the Emmytones were absolute tragedy (there were a thousand better ways to utilize the comic gifts of the likes of Colbie Smulders, Joel Mchale, and Zac Levi), I easily brushed it off and still found a bit of amusement from seeing these talented actors perform the ridiculous duties assigned to them. However, Charlie Sheen just made me want to switch channels and send gift baskets to the whole Two and a Half Men cast and crew for putting up with that for years

12. Asha says:

I hated the Emmytones. It was like the Emmys were saying “We know you all are awesome BUT we would NEVER give you a statue so kiss our feet and we’ll let you sing some harmonies before LL Cool J comes out of 1996 and raps for the audience.”

• DL says:

Not to mention LL kept flubbing the words. Dare I say he should stick to acting? I say that as an NCIS: LA fan. ;)

I did rather enjoy Zach Levi making goofy faces, though. And Cobie Smulders was cute as a button.

• PJM says:

Also, am I the only one to see LL Cool J knock down Joel McHale in the long shot after he left the stage? I’d swear he did that on purpose.

13. Maru says:

The fact that Steve Carrell will never win an Emmy for Michael Scott is an EPIC FAIL. And I love Jim Parsons and all but he ALREADY won for Sheldon last year, and it’t not like Sheldon changed dramatically from last season to this one.

MICHAEL SCOTT NEEDS AN EMMY.

• Leah says:

Couldn’t agree with you more!!! Steve Carrell was robbed!! SO sad

• Amanda says:

Completely agree. Jim Parsons seems like a super nice guy, but Carrell should have taken it.

• MJ says:

Steve Carrell not winning was the worst momment of the night. And I like Jim Parsons too but this was Steve’s last chance to win and you can’t really say that Jim Parsons was so much better than him.
      Steve Carrell never winning for Michael Scott will go down as one of emmys biggest crimes.

• Erin says:

Yes, totally agree that Steve Carrell was ROBBED!! He made a household name out of Michael Scott, who truly is an iconic tv character, and they give the Emmy AGAIN to that guy from “Big Bang”??? Seriously? There has not been such a travesty since Jason Alexander never won an Emmy for George Costanza. Carrell and Alexander should form a club…they are definitely in good company together.

• From Scranton says:

Will you people seriously stop misspelling Carell? If you want the guy to win so much, at least spell his damned name correctly.

• Kari G says:

Without a doubt this was the worst moment of the night. The look on his face… so sad.

• Bill says:

The Emmy is supposed to be for performance over the last season, not cumulative for the series, and quite frankly I think Parsons was funnier than Carrell over 2010/2011. It may be the writers, but really, I think the right person won when you look at the 2010/2011 season’s performances, which is what Emmy voters were supposed to do.

14. GMom says:

The best part was Kyle Chandler’s win for FNL!! I loved the Charlie’s Angel’s girl’s excitement when they announced his win. (Minks Kelly was on FNL) I just wish that Connie Britton had won, as well as the show. Kyle was so unprepared that he forgot to thank her. He tried to, but was ushered off the stage.

Also, I never heard who won the reality show host Emmy. I was rooting for Cat Delley or Ryan Seacrest.

• susan k saari says:

it belongs to Hugh Laurie and has for the past 4 years.
      he is better and in a far more demanding role than any one who has won (including Brian Cranston for 3 straight years-dumb) and to top it off this British genius has to do the entire show in an American accent. no mean achievement to begin with.
      He should just stop attending as Paul Newman did after years of Oscar nomimations and no wins.

Thrilled that Margo Martindale won. She is THE BEST – I have followed her career since a stage role in Love, Patsy at least 20 years ago.

• Carl says:

Completely agree with this. Hugh Laurie should have won years ago and should have won this year. His range of emotions as House, the difficulty of the technical vocabulary and layered style, the accent and physicality of the part, the laugh-out-loud comedy and deeply felt drama, and the utter consistency which which he plays House put Hugh Laurie head and shoulders above all the other contenders.

Shame on Emmy for passing him by once again.

• Tucker says:

Hugh Laurie does amazing work on a show of incredibly declining quality, but you must be smoking crystal meth to think that Cranston’s work isn’t deserving of his Emmys. To see Cranston go from the unabashed and, frankly, sometimes embarrassing mugging he did on Malcolm in the Middle to the shaded and nuanced performance he gives as Walter White easily proves the recognition of his quality is legit.

• Ryan says:

Seriously, you aren’t allowed to talk about tv if you think Cranston isn’t worthy. Hugh Laurie is giving a good to really good performance on a show that is ok. Bryan is giving maybe the best performance ever on arguably one of the best shows ever.

• Taylor says:

Exactly, Ryan. Hugh Laurie over Bryan Cranston? America, you never cease to surprise me. If I had to rank it, Laurie wouldn’t even be in the top 3.

Chandler deservedly won on Sunday. It was long overdue, as I’m sure we’ve all heard before.

• Snsetblaze says:

I think it was Jeff Probst.

• CB says:

I agree I think that since season 1 Kyle Chandler has deserved that Emmy and keeps getting snubbed! One of the best moments of the Emmy was when he won.

• Rubyredjewel says:

The article mentions Kyle at the beginning but really he deserved to be in the top 5 moments!! OMG the win was so long in coming!!

15. das41 says:

Lynch was wonderful given a terrible script. Most jokes fell flat. Her line about why she was a Lesbian and Guy Pearce’s comment along with the girls on stage proved to be the highlight of the show. Sheen was not needed and embarrassing. Altogether, however, one of the worst Emmy shows and yet, to repeat, Lynch withstood it all and came out of this mess with flying colors.

• Centava says:

Totally agree. And would add that all the presenters had the worst canned repartee…it was actually painful to watch at times!

• Renee says:

Well, the show was on FOX, which managed to kill probably the one funny bit in the opening about phone hacking with Alec Baldwin (which is why we got the strange Nimoy scene), so my guess is that the whole thing was run through the NewsCorp shredding machine.

16. Orange cursh says:

I totally disagree with your rating of the four dudes singing Hallelujah. I loved it even before I knew they were Canadian, once I knew that I loved it even more. They were terrific and it was all in very good tastd

• Michele says:

Agreed! Didn’t they have Sarah McLaughlin one year for the memoriam? (Emmys or Oscars..)
      They like their Canadians for that segment I guess..

• alice says:

It was showy and overblown, and with the smoke machines? Sersiously? Why would they want attention taken away from the people being remembered. It was completely inappropriate. You don’t try to promote yourself at the expense of the recently deceased.

• Rachael says:

Agreed, but I think they could have taken it down a notch. Too much embellishment, not enough tenderness for a memoriam. Perhaps another sound problem?

17. Michele says:

Loved the Best Moments! The Office spoof was hilarious.

I would’ve included Charlie Sheen’s awkward appearance and presentation of his former category on the Worst list… wasn’t sure if he was going to freak out or make nice. (which are both equally uncomfortable and awkward)

I didn’t even realize that was Cobie Smulders there!

18. Elizabeth says:

Love, love, love what the lead comedy women did!! Definitely one of the best moments of the show.
    Amy Poehler totally deserved it but I really like Melissa McCarthy and was thrilled for her.

Another person I was thrilled for was Margo Martindale! So happy she won. I love Justified as well as Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins.

Agree that The Office spoof was awesome. But I have no problems with what Guy Pearce said.

19. Joey says:

I was sad that they didn’t let Kyle Chandler audibly finish his speech. You know he was thanking Connie Britton… I would have liked to hear and see that moment between them.

20. Dan says:

I have to disagree. I think Jane Lynch was a fantastic host, and the opening number was perfect. Her voice was magical, and the television jobs were hilarious. You can’t blame the New Jersey skit’s acting on the lack of talent of the Jersey Shore cast.

Overall, Lynch was awesome. I’d love to see her again.

21. THanley says:

So happy for Kyle Chandler! Finally! He deserved it, and we will miss Coach Taylor and Friday Night Lights!

22. Rich says:

Besides the bad sound, the quips made by the announcer as the winners made their way to the stage, were embarrassingly atrocious.

23. Bluebonnetbelle says:

When Jason Katmis won for Friday Night Lights I was so happy, then when Kyle Chandler name was called I jumped up off my couch and cheered and decided I had to watch till the end just in case. But those few moments when after they won…that was the best moment of the night! (that and the Landry, Matt and Vince cameos in the opening)

24. Dominique says:

Aside from the fact that I felt like they were ruining the song a bit, I thought the In Memoriam was very beautiful. I even burst into tears when I saw Andy Whitfield’s footage up there, just because his death still seems so surreal to me. His death hit me quite hard.

25. Nancy says:

This show was terrible! and IMHO the Canadian tenors were the best part.

26. Gisella says:

100% agree it das, but steve is raed for greater things

27. Someone says:

As much as I enjoyed the pageant bit, I’m amazed that you still call it “zany spontaneity” when they just HAPPENED to have a tiara and flowers available. It was a cute idea, but clearly scripted. (I was actually more tickled when I thought that Amy Poehler had independently decided to burst up on the stage.)

• Viv says:

Actually it was Poehler’s idea and she communicated it to the others before hand. I think this is just more proof she should have won the award. I liked that all the women in the category seemed genuinely happy for Melissa McCarthy. It was really nice.

28. nonabgo says:

The show was like a really bad Glee gig. Ok, I don’t watch Glee, but it was what I imagine it to be. Or like a bad 80s variety show. Jane Lynch was not excruciating, there were way too many commercial breaks, the musical numbers were horrendous and I don’t get why Zachary Levi, Cobie Smulders and Michael Bolton singed up for those.
    The four dudes ruined one of the best songs ever, did Cohen know they were going to kill it like that?
    I agree with all of the above choices for best and worst moments except for Guy Pearce’s acceptance speech, I thought that was hilarious.

• Ben says:

Wow, couldn’t agree more.

The emmy-tones weren’t great, but may have been the best musical hit of the night. The song with Michael Bolton and whoever else was involved was possibly the worst single item I have ever seen in any awards show. There was absolutely nothing funny about it at all – it was like watching a really bad sitcom doing a musical episode. Ugh! The introduction had some laughs but they were few.

Amy Poelher, star of the night. Thank goodness someone did something that was actually funny. All in all though (some very deserving wniners aside), I have to say I think the show was a complete bust.

29. Bella says:

Thrilled that Kyle Chandler and Margo Martindale won.

30. alex says:

I agree with your Best picks, they were all fantastic. I liked Guy Pearce’s comment, it was really funny.

But the worst moment was Charlie Sheen. Why on earth did they invite him? It was awkward, unfunny, he’s so full of himself you just want to punch him, just URGH. I stopped looking at the TV and started wishing it would be over soon. Just, terrible.

Also, it says something when everybody except the host(ess) gets all the laughs.

31. Tammy says:

The highlights were some of the wins like Kyle Chandler, Modern Family, John Stewart, Mad Men, MARGO! etc. I did like the nominees for Best Actress in a Comedy part but how was it not all planned if they had a crown and flowers ready? I don’t see how that was zany spontaneity if they had props to bring out. It was good though.

The low lights… the whole production was bad from the silly singing numbers to the skits to the silly comments as the winners went up on stage. I want an award show to be that, an award show… show us why they were nominated, let them accept their awards and maybe a few jokes to keep the mood light in between. Mark Burnett and FOX should never be allowed near the telecast again. It was over produced and played for yucks. A few little jokes were good but the acceptance speeches were funnier. It was cheesy over the top and gaudy. Jane Lynch made some of the jokes work and that’s about it.

32. Adam says:

I think it was probably planned but not scripted, last year they all wore funny glasses or something didn’t they, and it was amy’s idea. I think Amy or Tina probably thought it up and toldthe other ladies and the director so they wouldn’t show clips…but I think it was a surprise to Rob and everyone else…and was great!

33. Genie says:

What was up with the phone sounds all night? That was distracting. It sounded like a text sound. It was deliberate and constant, weird.

I thought it was a great show, I don’t get the complaints, the show went by swiftly, ended on time and there were some surprises. Pretty good as far as award shows go.

• Rick says:

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who noticed! It sounded like an electronic ring sound going ALL NIGHT! How is it possible that no one involved with the telecast noticed this???

34. Carmen says:

I thought the most cringeworthy moment was Will Arnett’s latest feeble attempt to be funny. He always falls flat. . .even when acknowledging that he falls flat when he isn’t presented with lines to deliver.
    Why did this guy get another gig so fast after falling on his face with Running Wilde? He was the main reason that show died.

35. Patrick Gaffney says:

The announcer was horrible. I think they thought that what Hodgeman did previously would be easy to duplicate. Next time they want to have funny remarks as a person is walking to the stage I hope they go ahead and pay for Hodgeman.

• jennab says:

Agreed! Hodgeman made that patter funny.

Overall, I thought Lynch was great, liked the opening number, wish Jon Hamm had won actor, loved pageant (which was not spontaneous, according to Melissa McCarthy), thought Lonely Island was funny.

I, too, had band sound intermittently; oh, LOVED Fallon/Kimmel bit! Agree with previous poster that Colbert & Fallon should co-host next year!

36. J. Norman says:

I thought that the best comedy actresses bit of coming up on the stage was a fun bit. However, to say that the others “gamely followed Amy Poehlers lead” is nonsense.
    That bit was not spontaneous. It was well planned in advance by the entire group. But it was an excellent stunt.

• RLH says:

It was Poehler’s idea. She and Plimpton planned it and the rest agreed to participate, so don’t get your panties in a twist about Amy getting credit for it, even if it wasn’t spontaneous.

37. Teresa Jones says:

Guy Pearce’s comments were hilarious and one of the best moments.. I also liked the Grammytones a little bit…the words to their songs were funny. Of course, my favorite moment was the Outstanding Comedy actress “pageant” scripted or not, it was lovely, and congratulations to Melissa McCarthy.

38. Karen says:

I really loved Jon Stewart’s little nod to Jimmy Fallon’s Lion King emmy-cub – and also Jimmy Fallon’s immidiate and comedic reaction to The Daily Show winning ….

But what I really liked this year, was that there were so many new – and deserving – winners.
    So here’s hoping for some new nominees and winners next year as well. Here’s some, not at all biased, suggestions: True Blood (Ryan Kwanten and Deborah Ann Woll, hello!), How I Met Your Mother (and particularly Jason Segel), Cougar Town (Busy Phillips, Courtney Cox)and Fringe (John Noble, Anna Torv, Joshua Jackson)

39. Fan says:

The Emmy broadcast sound was muffled and/or tinny the entire time. My service provider is Comcast.

40. MK204 says:

When I worked in the business…and watched more shows than I do now, I use to look forward to the Emmys. Last night I watched as a sort of “eh…nothing else is on” tribute.

No offense to Jane Lynch, but part of these award shows is the talent who hosts. The hilarious Billy Crystal at the Oscars, the droll and ever so amusing Ellen DeGeneris AND Jimmy Fallon at the Emmys. The Emmys need to stick with pure genius in comedic talent. Jane wasn’t bad, but she wasn’t super funny either. OTOH, I don’t watch all that many shows on regular TV and I don’t watch any HBO so all those mini series were Greek to me.

Now…what I’m going to say will surely bring out those who want to scoff at me, but I’m a Brooklyn girl so I’ve got extremely broad shoulders. So first, let me agree with you, Michael, that there should have been no focus whatsoever on those Canadian Tenors. They were overly loud and it took away from the moment. There were actually two or three people who left us this year, that I didn’t remember doing so and those four guys for sure overpowered my sentiment. HOWEVER, if they needed to have some soft music in the background and if they needed for someone to sing “Hallelujah”, an extremely heartfelt and beautiful song, they should have at least acknowledged the person who most recently brought the song to the forefront again leaving everyone who attempted the song to fall flat. Call me an Idoloonie but that person should have been Jason Castro. Pooh on the Emmys for not asking Jason to sing. His version had so much more meaning than those tenors.

Anyway…I watched, but was not impressed. No nominations, other than Betty White, for Hot in Cleveland. No nominations whatsoever for The Closer (still a fantastic show and one that I will hate to see go), no nominations for Leverage and I can go on and on. And no nominations for Top Chef or Top Chef Masters. Tsk, Tsk, Emmys.

41. NanCeE* says:

I didn’t watch the entire show, but I loved Jane Lynch’s comment about Katie Holmes, “I would love to say something funny about you, but I’m afraid of your husband” [paraphrased]. Cracked me up, and the fact that she didn’t get much applause for that comment makes me think she’s not the only one afraid! Scientology is scawy!!

42. Am I the only one says:

who like the Emmy-tones? I thought they were pretty funny…

43. Meg says:

I actually enjoyed the Emmytones. I thought it was a refreshing take on an otherwise boring “And now we’ll present the Drama awards.” That being said, I think it might’ve gone better had the Emmy-tones performed in character or if the Emmy-Tones had been Robin Sparkles and her back-ups, featuring cameos by Nicole Scherzinger, James van der Beek, the bedazzled jacket, and Alan Thicke.

44. KDW says:

Dear Emmy people,
    Just because “Hallelujah” is a somber and beautiful song, it does not mean it is appropriate for an “In Memoriam” segment. Have you actually read the lyrics? It drives me nuts how overused this song is and how often it really doesn’t fit when it is used and I LOVE the song.

And those Canadian Tenors, seriously? Kinda dinks.

Now, Ty Burrell, wrestling Jimmys, Steve Levitan’s wife, and the Lead Actress in a Comedy nominees = awesome!

45. GirlTalk says:

I thought the clip of Ricky Gervais was awesome. He is just a natural talent. Love him.

46. sunny says:

I thought the Ricky Gervais bit was hilaious. I also liked the two Jimmys, when they presented cracked me up!

47. Dave says:

I actually enjoyed the whole show in general (including the Leading comedy actresses, the Emmytones, Guy Pearce’s comments and Jane Lynch’s jokes).
    The two things I didn’t like were the Canadian Tenors (they were good, but cutting from the pictures to them more than once was just annoying) and Charlie Sheen’s fake speech about wishing all the best to his former show just to pretend to be superior than all the gossip, you created all that, jerk.
    By the way R.I.P. Andy Whitfield, you will be the only Spartacus for me.

48. Andrea says:

Entertaining show – I mean WHAT can possibly be done to make it a crowd pleaser for everyone?! Jane Lynch is a genuine gem. The beauty thing obviously scripted, they are “actors” after all, c’mon people – you think reality shows aren’t scripted either?! Ricky Gervais just creepy, better off camera – he’s been lucky w/ his career. My 18 yr. old son watched for a while but became less enthused when it seemed that the same shows kept coming up in their categories. Surely there are more shows to be recognized than the five or six – I totally get the frustration of the Sons of Anarchy creator.

49. Zoeysmom92081 says:

LOVED it when Amy Poehler went up on stage as they read the nominations. Couldn’t stop laughing. Brilliant. Surprised you didn’t mention the awful voice over announcer when winners were going up to the stage. That was some putrid corny dialog.

50. Lynne says:

I agree with Michael have the ladies of comedy write the Emmy Awards show. Loved the impromptu Miss America Pagent so funny and entertaining.