ABC Family Renews Make It or Break It, Orders More Lying Game and Cancels ChloeGeorgia

In a surprise move, ABC Family is mounting another season of its gymnastics drama Make it or Break It. Additionally, the network has given a 12-episode back-order to one freshman series (The Lying Game), canceled two others (The Nine Lives of Chloe King and State of Georgia), and ordered three new pilots — including a new one-hour drama from Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino.

“ABC Family expanded its schedule to present three nights of original programming this summer, and we saw our most successful on record, one that gave us our very own ‘triple-threat’ — Switched at Birth, The Secret Life of the American Teenager and Pretty Little Liars,” said ABC Family prez Michael Riley. “Joining this group of series will be another season of Make It or Break It, just in time to ignite Olympic fever, and a back-order of The Lying Game. Our momentum continues to grow, and I’m thrilled with the strength of our schedule which includes a great mix of returning favorites, breakout series and what are sure to be new hits.”

Meanwhile, here are descriptions of the three new pilots the network has ordered:

* Bunheads is a one-hour scripted drama from Amy Sherman-Palladino about Michelle, a Las Vegas showgirl, who impulsively marries a man and moves to his sleepy coastal town, and takes an uneasy role at her new mother-in-law’s dance school. “I spent 20 years of my life with my hair in a bun,” said AS-P. “I was supposed to be a dancer. My mother was a dancer. Her greatest heartbreak was when I got on Roseanne. So, while writing this will never equal playing ‘Rumpelteazer’ in a bus and truck tour of Cats, it does let me to tip my hat to a really special time in my life.”

* Intercept is a one-hour technology and action driven drama about a group of college students who get roped into solving crimes when one of them creates a high-tech communication device that intercepts conversations throughout the West Coast. Ray Wright (The Crazies, Case 39, Pulse) penned the script and will exec producer.

* Baby Daddy, a half hour comedy from executive producer Dan Berendsen (The Nine Lives of Chloe King), is about Ben who, in his 20s, becomes a surprise dad to a baby girl when she’s left on his doorstep by an ex-girlfriend. Ben decides to raise the baby with the help of his mother, his brother, his best buddy and his close female friend, who is harboring a secret crush on him.

1. Leah says:

Too bad, I think Chloe King had potential. Would have at least liked to see them have time to wrap up all their cliffhangers.

• Amy says:

I totally agree. I also credit Chloe King with getting me interested in Pretty Little Liars.

• brandy says:

Completely agree. There’s nothing else like it for kids/family right now. And more than anything else, I just hate that they killed half of the cast and left major cliffhangers when they didn’t know if it was coming back. I figured because of that, the 2nd half of the season was just coming in January like the rest of the series. Wah-wah.

• Matt says:

Agreed. I thought the show was finally picking up steam. Was a great show to watch with my wife. She’s going to be disappointed.

• Sue says:

What a disappointment. I really enjoyed Chloe King and wanted to see what happened next after that massive cliffhanger.

2. Potch says:

Love Lying Game. Could not get into Make it or Chloe. Just didn’t grab me.

3. Mikaylah says:

What crack pot made the decision to renew MIOBI and cancel Chloe King? Such a bummer.

4. Mary says:

I loved Chloe King! So sad. I too think it had potential and would have liked to see things wrapped up at least! :(

5. Jay says:

Yahoooooo for miobi.

6. allie says:

I’m intrigued by the fact that Emily is in the photo on the homepage. I hope that means that she will be back in Boulder when the series returns…. now that Chelsea Hobbes had her baby.

• Hols says:

Hate to say this — I think it’s just a stock photo from the previous season. If the show just got its pickup order, there haven’t been any publicity shots done yet of the actresses.

• Tee says:

I don’t know, even before the potential renewal seemed to hang on forever, she was already talking like she was out. It sounds like as of now there are no plans to bring her back. But who knows, that could change any time.

7. Kathryn says:

YES!!!! I LOVE Make It or Break IT, this is awesome news!!

8. Lauren says:

Woo Hoo! I’ve never seen Chloe so I won’t speak to that but I really enjoyed MIOBI and it was definitely unacceptable to stop that show at the end of the second season. Then entire show was about the Olympics and they stop at worlds?? No freaking way. I’m not sure how on Earth they could bring Emily back on the show after the whole pregnancy debacle. Even if she miscarried the baby the NGO is not likely to petition her onto the Olympic team on the grounds of Baby drama. Of course there is no way they’d let her have the baby then come back. Having a baby changes your body too much not to mention she’d go through puberty on fast forward having never gone through puberty. (yes, I know she already had a child in real life but in the context of the show it wouldn’t work) The impression I got from the final two episodes was that they were stepping Kelly Parker up to take Emily’s spot as a rock girl. Whether or not she is compelling enough to replace someone who was essentially the main character for the first season and a half remains to be seen. I’m so excited to see Payson with a boyfriend.

9. Emm says:

They cancel the good shows but keep something like Secret Life? I’m sorry but wtf?

• Jericho says:

Secret Life is like the next coming of 7th Heaven (by the same producer even). It is stupid, inane and will continue long long after it should have gone off the air (2 seasons ago.)

Good to hear MIOBI got a pickup, but have to wonder if Chelsea will be back or not. She was the only reason to watch the show in the first place.

10. Michelle says:

I’m bummed that Chole got cancelled it could have gone longer we could have watched Brian father get revenge on Chole and Alex Brother showed up WT???? :(

11. Jennifer says:

THANK GOD!!! I was so worried that MOBI wasn’t going to get renewed. I think if Chloe King would have done better and hadn’t been canceled, they probably wouldn’t have brought back MOBI. I’m glad Chloe King didn’t do good. LOL. No offense to the Chloe King fans.

• Deanna says:

Same. I was secretly hoping that one of the new shows would bomb in the ratings so that we would get our MIOBI back. Sorry to the Chloe fans. XD

12. Sara says:

So disappointed for Chloe. I really liked it. It had intrigue. Lying Game is good though too.

13. Jeff says:

SOOOOO bummed about Chloe King!! How do they cancel that show and keep on absolute garbage like Secret Life??!?! Chloe was fast becoming my new “Kyle XY”…and that summer finale was FANTASTIC! Can’t believe it’s not going to get resolved!

• MelindaB says:

It was the new Kyle XY–it was canceled on a cliffhanger and left its fans wanting more. Too bad it didn’t get three seasons like KXY did (and too bad that KXY didn’t get more than three.)

14. ella says:

Okay, I get that Chloe King was aimed at preteens, but I really liked it, even though I’m 16. I think I actually preferred it to PLL this season. It may have been my summer shame show, but I would have watched it in the fall too, against anything but The Good Wife, or maybe Grimm

15. Maria S. says:

Happy for Make it or break it and a second season of the lying game. Too bad about Nine lives, wish it got one more ep to solve all the cliffhangers!

16. Samantha says:

I don’t watch Raising Hope but isn’t it a lot like the premise of Baby Daddy?

17. Ed says:

So glad the back 12 of Lying Game was ordered. It’s my new guilty pleasure.

18. Elizabeth says:

Just to be clear, ABC Family just ordered more episodes for The Lying Game. It hasn’t been renewed for a 2nd season yet, as far as I’m aware(?)

I really liked Chloe King. Too bad it’s not coming back :(
    I stopped watching MIOBI. I just lost track of it. Is it worth catching up?
    Need to watch the last few episodes of TLG. It’s been good from what I’ve seen so far.

19. Elizabeth says:

@Samantha. That’s exactly what I thought. Baby Daddy sounds a lot like Raising Hope (which I love so much)!

20. Whimsical says:

Once again ABC Family rewards mauldlin dreck Secret Life over smart, engaging programming Chloe King. I don’t know who I’m dissapointed in more- them, for having absolutely NO taste whatsoever, or me for not learning that lesson after the unjust cancellation of The Middleman.

Now they’ve got no good shows left on. And before anyone complains, Pretty Little Liars falls square into the “so bad its good” category.

21. Callie says:

I’m curious to see Amy S-P’s new show! HUGE Gilmore Girls fan!
    Hope the acting is good because Amy’s writing is.

• Miranda says:

Not since she introduced Luke’s daughter has her writing been good.

• Lauren says:

While I intensely disliked the whole April storyline I was willing to see how she played it out however before she could resolve the story she had a falling out with the network about how many seasons she needed to make the story right. She said that she needed two more seasons and the network would only give her one. She said that if they didn’t let her finish out the series the right way then she’d leave them to write the final season without her. That’s what they did. That’s why the last season of Gilmore Girls was so weird. She’s talked about wanting to do a movie just so she could end the series they way she’d planned from the beginning.

22. JLCOLLINS says:

Really really disappointed about Chloe King. I thought it was different and fun. A really good family show.

23. Muse says:

booooo they should at least gave a chance to nine lives, it had potential, too bad.
    But baby daddy??really?? raising hope ripoff much?

24. Alyssa says:

dear baby daddy show,

You are a copy cat of Raising Hope. Just like Playboy Club and Pan Am, there is no replacing the original.

Please Stop Networks.

25. Keysha says:

If Emily doesnt come back to MIOBI i want b watching the show is basically about her

26. Linda says:

Baby Daddy = Rasing Hope 2?

27. Tabi says:

So disappointed Chloe King got cancelled. Boooo! Ausiello – We need an interview with the EP of Chloe King to at least know what would have happened next!! But I am happy that the back 12 of the Lying Game got ordered.

28. sarah says:

Uh… no its not. its about all four girls and their journey towards the olympics.

29. Brandy says:

Im really glad and excited about miobi and tlg,love the shows(im in the older female part of the target demo @30). Hope emily comes back on miobi.

30. Corinne says:

Ok, there needs to be a dislike on this one…why did they have to cancel Chloe King without telling us if Brian was dead or not????? Major bummer on that one.

31. Tee says:

Baby Daddy sounds so done. Zzzzz.

I like ASP but I thought her show that CW didn’t pick up sounded more interesting than this one. As long as the promos don’t look as terrible as Jezebel James’ did, I’ll at least check it out though if it gets picked up.

32. Winnie says:

I’m really happy about the “Make It Or Break It” renewal, especially since I think it initially made the “don’t hold your breath” list!

33. jen says:

Boo! I loved Chloe King. I hope we at least get an interview with some closure on all the cliffhangers.

34. Chizoba says:

WE NIGERIANS LOVES ”MAKE IT OR BREAK IT”. THE DIRECTOR WAS NOT FAIR ON EMILY.

35. christy says:

LOVE MAKE IT OR BREAK IT glad they renewed it, but I’d much rather see Nine Lives than Make It or Break It.

36. Paige says:

Slightly ironic that ABC Family removes Gilmore Girls from there line up only to pick up a Pilot by ASP. Can’t say I’m to interested by the premise but if she brings half the wit she brought with Gilmore Girls I’ll have to check it out.

PS. I miss Greek.

37. dancinqueen98 says:

depressed about chole king…i love miobi and the lying game is GOOD!!!!!!

38. Joseph says:

OK… so YAY on Make it or Break it’s return. But, you don’t renew Chloe King and The Secret Life of the American BAD ACTORS is still on top?? REALLY? Chloe King at least had great forward moving stories and action with good acting. Secret Life… I have no words.

39. carolinagirl says:

Very disappointed that Chloe King was cancelled. I loved the cliffhanger and couldn’t wait to see how the next season unfolded. I just don’t get why The Secret Life continues to get good ratings. I stopped watching this after the first season because the acting was so horrible!

40. blackraven says:

Well, crap…I’m gonna miss Nine Lives. But I should’ve known, since all the shows that I like that start out shaky but have the potential to be epic get canceled.

41. It’s always good to learn something about Amy that I didn’t know.

42. Miranda Valenti says:

F that, they cancelled Chloe King, the best show on their network. Yet Secret Life keeps losing me halfway through each season, PLL lost me six episodes in, and The Lying Game is bound to lose me soon… Otherwise I haven’t gotten passed the pilot episode. ABC Family can suck it, and go to hell. There’s nothing “family” about their original programming. This is why I don’t get into good series until AFTER they’ve ended, so there’s no worries about cancelling…
    End of my rant.

43. Guy says:

About time. MIOBI is great and i had a bad feeling it would be canned so this news makes me happy.

44. Deanna says:

I am so so so excited about MIOBI! I’ve been waiting all summer to hear whether or not it would be renewed. SO happy to hear that it has been!

As for Chelsea, I can actually do without Emily at the rock. In fact, I didn’t even miss her during the last few episodes. I like Kelly Parker SO much more. Emily’s little “pity me” whining all the time really grates my nerves. Especially where her mother is concerned. Chloe does all she can for Emily and Emily does nothing but whine and act like a selfish child. I thought the relationship between Kelly & her mom was much more interesting. And I love Nicole.

• Lauren says:

Unfortunately, the girl that plays Kelly Parker has a part on Ringer now so I’m not sure if she’ll be coming back. It certainly looked like they were planning on replacing Chelsea Hobbs(Emily) with Kelly Parker but I’m not sure if they are brave enough to do that since she was pretty much the main character and Chelsea is available and Nicole Anderson is not. Also, Kathy Najimy (Kelly’s mom) might not be the easiest to get under contract because she has a pretty good career. Kelly’s storyline would be pointless without her.

• Deanna says:

Well, Nicole tweeted the other day about going to exercise so that she could “fit back into her leotard”… so I’d say that based on that, she has been asked back and is planning to be there. :)

• Lauren says:

Hooray! Although she could just be coming back for guest spots like before. I really like Emily and I think her story is more compelling than Kelly’s but as long as the show comes back I’ll be happy.

• Deanna says:

‘Tis true, it could just be another guest appearance that she’s speaking of, but I’m hoping it’s not. I’d love to see her at the rock. With or without her mother. I just really liked her interaction with Kaylie, Lauren, and Payson. So if she stays a guest star or she actually transfers to the rock, I don’t care. I just want more Kelly. :)

45. garett says:

That suckd

46. Megan says:

Do NOT diss make it or break it. I personally liked nine lives but Make it or break it is about the path to the olymipics. It’s about something REAL, so HOP OFF!!!

47. I am sorry to hear about Chloe King as it finished on such a cliffhanger. I think there was more story to be told there… I am happy to hear about The Lying Game and Make it or Break it. Those are 2 of my fave shows.

48. acada says:

This is a great news, i really want to se MIOBI back and better. Where is Emi.

49. Mo says:

I’m really disappointed that Chloe King was cancelled. I looked forward to watching each week. It was so interesting and not cliche. Sucks.

There’s nothing else I want to watch on the “new kind of family” thx ABC…

50. Sarah says:

I am glad MIOBI got picked up for another season. At least this way they can wrap it up properly, and it’ll be a good place to have a final season (if it is the last season) with the Olympics coming up next summer. I hope Chelsea is back for Emily. If they don’t bring her back it will have been such a bad place to leave her storyline. I want her and Johnny Pacar’s character to come back, and for her to somehow still get to go the Olympics! Super sad Chloe got cancelled. I was really getting into that show. I wish they could have at least wrapped up the storylines. They left it at a horrible spot! It seems like ABC Family cancels a lot of shows at bad places (in my opinion)! Or they decide to cancel the show and wrap it in a weird way! Such as: Falcon Beach, Kyle XY, Lincoln Heights, Wildfire (they wrapped up really fast and kind of awkwardly). Just to name a few former shows. I am glad, however, that they also kept Pretty Little Liars, Switched at Birth, and The Lying Game.