Premiere Ratings: Ringer Opens Well, Parenthood Down from Year Ago

Sarah Michelle Gellar’s Ringer didn’t exactly do doppelgangbusters in its premiere, but it did give The CW its largest audience in the Tuesdays-at-9 time slot in more than three years — since 90210‘s two-hour series debut.

With 2.74 million total viewers and a 1.2 rating in the 18-49 demo, Ringer also delivered 66 and 50 percent better numbers than Life Unexpected did in the time slot a year ago.

Ringer In Review: What Did You Think of Gellar’s TV Return?

Of course, the true test of how much the show twin-piqued viewers’ interest will come next Tuesday, when new episodes of NCIS: Los Angeles, Dancing With the Stars and the Fox comedies show up for the party.

Among Tuesday’s other big premieres:

* The CW’s 90210 drew 1.63 million viewers and a 0.8 rating, down 17 and 12 percent from its previous season opener.

* NBC’s Parenthood (6.8 million/2.3) was up in viewers from its spring finale (which I for one always take to be relevant), but nonetheless slipped double digits in both measures from its Season 2 premiere. What’s more, it sadly shed 43 percent of the lead-in audience it got from America’s Got Talent (13.2 million/3.6 demo rating), and in its back half-hour dropped to 5.7 million viewers. C’mon, people, watch good TV.

1. Laurel says:

I’ll be back next week.
    It was a pretty good show.

2. Lauren says:

Yay! I hope it keeps it up.

3. Mikaylah says:

I loved the show! Can’t wait to see more. :)

4. Mike says:

‎3 year high in that timeslot? Big whoop. It got the same 18-49s at Hellcats did last year, and 0.2 less than Nikita’s premiere. Spin, spin, spin.

• Tama says:

AMEN BROTHER.That’s more spin then a washing machine. I did like the show regardless.

• ultimate troll says:

Yeah but who cares if you liked it, all that matters is the ratings and awesome people like Mike who can spread the truth and not be fooled by those tv spin doctors! Way to go Mike, there’s a spot in heaven waiting for you.

• Eli says:

Yup spin, spin I agree!!! even cable shows these days are pulling more than 1.2 A18-49. Disappointing!

5. pv says:

I haven’t watched Ringer yet (its on the pvr) but it wouldd have to be pretty bad for me to not keep watching. SMG has earned a season pass from this viewer

6. JC says:

You’re being overly gracious Michael. These numbers are very disappointing. Last season on the CW Hellcats premiered with a 1.2 rating in A18-49 and it’s no longer on the air. The rating for Ringer will probably get even lower once the curiosity factor of SMG returning to TV disappears. If it can’t get 3 million viewers with no other new shows as competition, what will in do in 3-4 weeks when every broadcast net has new content on the air? The CW had much higher hopes for Ringer.

• t.t says:

considering it has better ratings than 90210 a show which got an early renewal last year I think it’ll be fine

• Joshua says:

I think you are forgetting that 90210 is a series that has been on the air for three seasons. Yes, 90210 is getting dreadful ratings, but the ratings don’t matter anymore. The CW itself loses money on every show they air. However, CBS and Warner Brothers make money off of syndication and DVD sales. That’s why shows like 90210 and Gossip Girl are sticking around for a fourth and fifth season, respectively. They want more episodes for syndication. It’s incredibly too early to tell about Ringer.

• kewi94 says:

I don’t understand — so networks and production companies renew shows that have been around longer simply for syndication? No matter the quality? (90210 is absolutely horrific) Why would they cancel any show then? Wouldn’t they keep all the shows that they agree to put on the air long enough to sell episodes for syndication? Or is it like ratings have to be high enough for networks to WANT to run the episode again? (In that case though, 90210 should have been canceled a long time ago)

• uhyeahright says:

Joshua, What incentive does the CW itself have to renew 90210 and Gossip Girls if they’re loosing money on every show they air? (Not taking into account that the CW is half owned by CBS).

• uhyeahright says:

Ahh, never mind. Because CBS and Warner Brothers make money on DVDs and syndication. This is the case only when talking about the CW. However, other networks do not have this same situation.

I still don’t think you’re totally right though, Joshua. Re: kewi94

7. Michael says:

Kind of disappointed with the 1.2, but the RINGER pilot was too predictable (thanks to the promos) and something was off for me. I think most will be back next week, me included.

I hope TVD holds up. It was decreasing last season :/

8. Dennis says:

Parenthood ended in april last year with a 2,5 rating so its down from lasts season finale…

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Correct, i meant in total viewers; edit has been made. (If a show gains viewers, I take that as a good-ish sign, though AGT overrun is probably to credit here, given PHOOD’s steep drop-off come 10:30. Sad.)

9. John Berggren says:

Good for Sarah. I tuned in, as it’s one of the new series that has most of my notice. The pilot was sort of meh, but I’ll give it a few episodes to see if it can get on it’s feet.

Here’s hoping!

10. Ramona Harnish says:

Yay Ringer! I thought it was very good! I believe the ratings listed above are for the live viewings. Let’s see what the ratings are after the DVR viewings are counted.

11. João Amaral says:

very disappointing, i was expecting more.

12. wicked says:

The pilot was clunky at best. And very uneven – the scenes at the sea were so poorly made and lame compared to the pretty lavish scene of the party-gala.

too much time spent on AA confessional scenes that didnt serve any real character development purpose.

Characters introductions were all over the place and none had chemistry with Bridget, not even the twin sister herself – yeah, I wouldn’t have thought it was possible either.

Thing that will make me keep coming back is a bit better focused mystery, because right now I have no clue what the big ‘woop’ is.

• televisionplus says:

You think that those AA scenes does serve any real character development? Every scene in that premiere will have a meaning… so lets talk in aboout 3 weeks and you will what the big woop is all about !

FANTASTIC SHOW!

• Jena says:

Well yeah, most pilot episodes are like that, they get better as the show goes on. I just hope The CW lets Ringer have a long enough run to get on its feet and show what it can do. A show with Sarah Michelle Gellar has no limits! She is amazing!

13. msubabe01 says:

I think those numbers are good…for a show on the CW. Their shows always get less viewers than a network show. I didn’t think it was great but I also didn’t think it was horrible. I was very excited about Parenthood coming back on and it didn’t disappoint! But I agree…it lost so many viewers from America’s Got Talent…ugh people watch something on tv that isn’t “reality” or “competition”. Give me a good scripted comedy or drama anyday!

14. Mike says:

Yeah, the spin on these numbers made me happier than actually seeing the numbers. The pilot wasn’t the best thing I’ve ever seen, but anyone who watches TV already knew everything that was going to happen there. I’m definitely watching next week, and betting on the show making some improvements as it progresses through the first half of its season.

15. kevin says:

RINGER seems to be good but I don’t know if it keeps up for the rest of the season if not gets pick up for Season 2 but PARENTHOOD got off to a better start than last season was. Can’t wait when the family drama goes up against BODY OF PROOF and UNFORGETTABLE next week.

16. DL says:

I think numbers for Parenthood will be up next week. For one, the episode had a slow start as there was a lot of time setting up things that would play out through the season. Also, it’s worthy to note that NBC isn’t airing the majority of its scripted series this week, so viewers who may not watch reality shows like AGT but enjoy scripted shows may not have been aware that Parenthood was returning this week.

17. MCG says:

I have never seen an episode of Buffy (terrible I know), so I am not a die hard fan of SMG but I decided to give this shot a shot. While the plot could get to become really interesting and there was that movie-feel about it (bad CGI aside), I will not be tuning in next week. I already have a twin-swap show in The Lying Game so I dont need two. Now, lets start getting hyped up for the return of Summer Roberts and Jason Street!!!!! Go Hart of Dixie!!!

• kopy09 says:

While I agree with you that we already have the Lying Game, I found Ringer to be a bit more adult oriented. I’m not one to figure out a show that easily so Ringer kept my attention. I loved the final scene and will be back next week for more.

Besides, I loved seeing the actor that played on Life Unexpected as Lux’s dad. I’m also excited to see her on her new show. Nice to see them working.

18. Tommy Byrne says:

I really enjoyed the pilot, it was good for what it was! If anyone cares to read more heres my review http://the-tv-room.blogspot.com/2011/09/ringer-begins-s01e01-review.html

19. Joanne says:

Parenthood has been better then ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WATCH THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a huge fan… it was awesome!!!!
    Now stop being stupid.. Plus I think most people think NBC new shows will be on next week…

• TigerNightmare says:

I meant to break up with this show during the summer, but… I like the cast too much. The new episode is recorded. Tell me that there are no screaming matches or a tidy inexplicable resolution by the episode’s end and I’ll watch it tonight. Otherwise it’s going on the back burner.

20. sara says:

I was going to try Ringer for 1 week and move on to New Girl and Raising Hope next week, but I’m changing my plan!!! The pilot was a bit predictable since we knew a lot of the plot from all the buzz, but the last 10 minutes or so were very intriguing!!! I can’t wait to see what Siobhan is actually up to!

21. Zak says:

I’m just waiting for the day when the rating systems for shows finally catch’s up with the times. 2011 and our rating systems for TV is horrible. If you don’t have a box what you watch has zero impact on a show’s fate. I will probably keep watching…not that it actually matters.

22. chris says:

If Hellcats would have aired after 90210 last year, it would have bombed. It aired after ANTM. Ringer did ok but I did hope for better.

23. Marie says:

Matt, you can help Parenthood by writing often about it. :) Like TVLine.com is always writing about Glee, I guess. And NBC should advertise Parenthood in other shows like they did with The Voice then or on other networks like USA, the same way ABC advertises their show Revenge on almost all the shows in the USA network.

• E says:

I agree. This show really needs more exposure. Hearing the ratings are down from last year really bums me out. Come on, NBC Advertising Department, step up your game!

24. Gloria says:

I Loved it!! I will be back next week and so on. SMG was as awesome as always, I cant wait to next week episode!

25. Plum says:

I’d call that appeal a “superliminal message” but it’s working. I will watch Parenthood, dammit! I like it whenever I do watch it, I just had no idea what was on when. But I’ll make time for it, I love the cast.

26. Doug-H says:

Parenthood was great but will face stiff competitive shows in that slot…. thank goodness for On Demand…

27. Gemini says:

Ringer was wonderful. Best new show in several years. So much is going on, and it’s all interesting.

28. alice says:

did not know it was a comedy I’m laughing until now the scene of the boat lol, was not presented anything new.

29. Jamie says:

Honestly, I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about Ringer when I heard the CW had picked it up for their fall lineup. And, I hate when the network goes overboard with promotion. So, I was skeptical about whether or not I’d enjoy this show. But, I watched the series premiere and absolutely loved it. Ringer has me hooked! I’m so thrilled to see SMG back on my television screen every week and she picked the perfect project to make her comeback with in my opinion. I’m glad the ratings were so strong for the series premiere and I can’t wait for next week’s episode.

30. JAmandaFan says:

Maybe people didn’t realize that Parenthood was new last night? As far as Ringer–I wanted it to be better because it was so plot heavy. Hopefully now that they set up everything they can really start to develop the characters and let them dictate the plot more. And yes the boat scene was horrible. I got a little confused about how Bridget, who hadn’t kept in touch with her sister, knew who the step daughter was immediately. Regardless, I am rooting for this show–it had such a great cast, I hope it gets better and with the addition of Logan from VM and Billy from YR I know it can!!

31. CJ says:

I was one who tuned into Parenthood for the first time and tuned out 10 minutes later. It’s good TV… good at putting me to sleep. And Heroes got cancelled in favor of this?

• ultimate troll says:

Nice one! The utter ludicrousness of your post is cleverly disguised by the complete non-sequitor of its own ridiculousness. A+

32. kim says:

I love SMG, but the premise of her new show always sounded terrible to me.

33. Jena says:

I love love love Ringer. I’m not suprised the ratings were so high, Sarah Michelle Gellar is very popular. I’m a little worried that only 3 episodes have been filmed though- does The CW think it wont make it?

34. samantha says:

Lets just hope it doesn’t lose any next week and possibly gains. I was so happy to have SMG back but this sucks but if it doesn’t make it hope she does tv somewhere else

35. Anthony Newhall says:

I thought it was great. Needs a higher budget and a better set. Other than that, I liked it. I’m more interested in The Secret Circle. I watched the pilot on iTunes, and MAN was it AMAZING. Clearly all of the budget went to that., but it was well done.

36. Wesley says:

I think Parenthood would fair better in an earlier time slot; it’s a family show, so I think that it should be on when more families are up together to see it. Then again NBC did air it a week before other shows, which seems pretty odd, in my opinion.

37. Anahi says:

Loved it I cant wait for next week

38. Riley says:

I really enjoyed the premiere of Ringer. Shows some great potential despite retreading the setup that has been done more than a few times. It was also refreshing that SMG relied on her acting skills to differentiate the twins rather than them having to rely on outfits, glasses and really bad accents to tell them apart (I’m looking at you Eliza Dushku).

My only qualm was how much effort it took to remember that her character in Ringer can’t just double-flip and roundhouse the bad guys.

39. Nadine says:

Ringer is very good and intriguing, will keep watching! SMG handles the nuances of all 3 roles flawlessly.

40. Margot says: