Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Poll: What Will You Watch on Sundays?

Get More: Fall TV Preview, Polls

The Fall TV season is right around the corner, and some tough viewing choices are coming. Let’s see what your gameplan is for Sunday night.

Fall TV Survival Guide: News, Scoops, Premiere Calendar

Each day* this week — during “the calm before the storm” — I’ve been showing you the grid for that night’s line-up, including Big 5 fare and select cable listings. You then vote for what you plan to watch LIVE during each time slot, since live-ish viewership is still the gold standard when it comes to ratings, whether we like it or not. (*Yes, we’re skipping Saturday since I know you’ll all be watching Rules of Engagement; don’t want to break PollDaddy, after all.)

Fall TV Polls: What Will You Watch Live on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday?

One last caveat before we get to the polls: This is not a popularity contest. Organizing a robo-vote for a certain show will not keep the walkers from gnoshing on your brains when that day comes. So have faith in the merit of your individual choices, then watch to see how many others legitimately ally with you.

NOTES ABOUT THE SUNDAY GRID: This represent the face-offs taking place for at least six weeks of the fall TV season; that is why AMC’s Hell on Wheels (premiering Nov. 6) is included, while Breaking Bad (which finales Oct. 9) is not. Details on new shows (indicated by *) can be found at these links: Allen Gregory, Hell on Wheels, Homeland, Once Upon a Time, Pan Am.

Comments (91)

• Tie between Dexter and The Walking Dead for me.

Comment by Dean – September 10, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good Wife and Pan Am. Great night.

Comment by Matt – September 10, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Desperate Housewives and Pan Am! :D

Comment by Carmen – September 10, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon a Time and Dexter, but I’ll also watch The Good Wife.

Comment by nonabgo – September 10, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon A Time. And probably Dexter.

Comment by Sally – September 10, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DEXTER OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEXTER FOR EVERRRR!!!

Comment by Josh – September 10, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely! Dexter is the only show I absolutely have to see live. I dont mind finding out what happens on other shows before i watch it if I get behind, but Dexter is so good I would hate to find out the twists ahead of time rather than experience them myself.

Comment by Kate – September 11, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon a Time, otherwise none of the above.

Comment by Templar – September 10, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dexter good wife and walking dead?! tough hour…
    Watch good wife live tivo the other two then watch them the next two hours since the next hour has nothing good
    as for the previous hour amazing race love that show, I’ll tivo once upon a time

Comment by lee – September 10, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watch cable shows live and tivo network shows so I can skip the commercials!

Comment by Amanda – September 10, 2011 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, you should check out Homeland in the hour after Dexter.
      Went to an advance screening last night, and found it really interesting and really well done. It’s even on YouTube and on sho.com if you want to stream the pilot before its Oct 2nd debut (although you won’t have the nudity characteristic of Showtime shows until you watch it on Showtime).

Comment by ESLKid75 – September 14, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to watch Once Upon a Time, The Good Wife and Pan Am live, whilst Desperate Housewives and Homeland record.

Comment by Jorge Jose Herrera – September 10, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We get football early on the West Coast. The game is usually over by 8:30pm.

Comment by LOL – September 10, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The truth, of course, is that Sunday Night football will crush whatever it’s up against in the ratings (unless it’s a bad game). Thankfully, I’m on the west coast, will DVR Once upon a time to watch it when football ends, and then watch The Walking Dead and Pan Am (for at least a few episodes)

Comment by XK – September 10, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, football on CBS will ruin the Sunday night schedule for 2 of my shows that I would normally watch live. I will even need to record CSI Miami in order to make sure I have everthing enough time covered to watch the CBS shows.

Comment by elr – September 12, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter vs The Good Wife? Tough choice.. but yeah, Dexter wins

Comment by aargh – September 10, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, that’s what I thought: “Oh crap! what a tough choice.” But Dexter is shown multiple times throughout the week. So I will watch the Good Wife unless darn football causes overruns. Then I’ll go to Dexter and hope that the Good Wife is On Demand. I’m a DVR-less household. I am also looking forward to Homeland. So I hope that TGW doesn’t butt up against Homeland due to time overruns.

Comment by mdaily – September 10, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMAZING RACE and PAN AM. Really don’t have Showtime to watch DEXTER and HOMELAND.

Comment by kevin – September 10, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The DVR is gonna get a workout on Sundays !
    Dexter & the Walking Dead are a must but I’m looking forward to AMC’s new show “Hell on Wheels” .
    There isn’t anything on TV quite like it.

I also want to check out Pan Am ,Once Upon a Time and Boardwalk Empire.

Comment by Laurel – September 10, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT NEWS!! A light night of TV!! I have only one show on this night that interests me, Once Upon a Time. That’s it!! WOW. I’m not sure what else to say, after all the heavy nights during the week, it will be nice to have a relaxing evening.

Comment by Melody – September 10, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would say I’m committed to watching “The Good Wife” live and DVR “Desperate Housewives” but I know that CBS will air the 4pm football game on the east coast and push Good Wife back to 9:45 on some nights so… Housewives live, watch Good Wife on Tuesdays with PrimeTime on Demand– the one reason why I am still a Time Warner customer.

Comment by Cassie – September 10, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LIVE
    The Amazing Race
    Desperate Housewives
    Pan Am

DVR
    The Simpsons
    Once Upon a Time
    Dexter
    The Walking Dead

Sunday is a *huge* tv night for me. Thank God I get the West Coast feeds!

Comment by Sivat – September 10, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch
    Once Upon A Time, Good Wife and Pan Am live.

I’ll record The Walking Dead, and watch Desperate Housewives on hulu.

Comment by candice – September 10, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, Sunday nights are going to be the best night pf the week for TV this year. Unfortunately, there’s not enough time to watch it all that night.

Comment by Paul – September 10, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be tuning into Once Upon A Time and Good Wife and DVRing Desperate Housewives.For once Sunday won’t be dead for me can’t wait for Once Upon A Time though I can tell I will be obsessed.

Comment by Elle – September 10, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People need to watch THE GOOD WIFE live, and leave DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES for DVR. It’s their last season, they don’t need the ratings. TGW is the only appealing show to me on Sundays. PAN AM? Give me a break.

Comment by BRETT – September 10, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, I can’t believe how much TV some of you are planning to watch…

Comment by BRETT – September 10, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • DH live all the way! Skip the boring Good Wife, eat Pan Am up with a spoon, watch Amazing Race live, and tape Once Upon a Time.

Watch football during the commercials or when the above shows are in reruns.

Comment by Gia – September 11, 2011 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Desperate Housewives, check out once upon a time

Comment by Brandy – September 10, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Amazing Race…Desperate Housewives…Pan Am.

Comment by jenn – September 10, 2011 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Football

Comment by Renee – September 10, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the last season of Desperate Housewives…it’s our last chance to watch the entire thing “live”, so DVR The Good Wife and watch DH!!!

Comment by Sivat – September 10, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Live: 8-9: Once Upon a Time [loved the pilot]; 9-10: The Walking Dead [last year's best new drama]; 10-11: Homeland [haven't seen the pilot - just love the concept].

Record: 8-9: Not a darned thing; 9-10: Dexter, The Good Wife, Desperate Housewives [last season and Vanessa Williams is back]; 10-11: Pan Am, Hell On Wheels [CSI: Miami has sucked rocks for so long, there's no way they could entice me back unless they killed off Horatio]

Comment by Sheldon W. – September 10, 2011 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DVR The Amazing Race and Once Upon a Time, DVR The Good Wife and Desperate Housewives, DVR Pan Am, DVR The Walking Dead at a later time. Easy!

Comment by Meghan – September 10, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Desperate Housewives I love that show and I will definitely miss it. Like the promo said kiss them goodbye LIVE!!!

Comment by J.C. – September 10, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife is the only show I always watch live. I’m going to give Once Upon a Time a try also.

Comment by Denise – September 10, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We don’t watch *anything* live anymore (except my husband & his sports) since the DVR, but for Sunday, ‘Once Upon a Time’, ‘Walking Dead’, ‘Desperate Housewives’, ‘Pan Am’. Will most likely be watched at some point in that coming week.

Comment by AnnieM – September 10, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will watch Desperate Housewives and dvr Walking Dead!

Comment by rachel – September 10, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Homeland & Dexter

Comment by Donna – September 10, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC all night for me this year. I don’t think I can handle NFL without Peyton Manning. I may give the Giants a chance though.

Comment by Liz – September 10, 2011 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m worried about Desperate Housewives. All of the competition at 9, I hope DH still manages to have good numbers for it’s final season.

Yes, I will be watching DH live like I have every Sunday in the past. All of the competition will have to be DVRd (sorry American Dad).

Comment by Ram510 – September 10, 2011 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The ratings for DH don’t matter too much this year. Unless they are absolutely abysmal, the show will air all of its episodes. ABC allowed several shows to limp through full seasons last year with poor numbers (Brothers & Sisters, that superhero show with Michael Chiklis whose title I’ve already forgotten, Detroit 187), and I doubt DH will drop as low as any of those series did. Though I agree, I’d like to see it go out on a high ratings note.

Comment by Gia – September 11, 2011 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boardwalk Empire is one of the best shows on tv. It has such a phenomenal cast.

Comment by Jack – September 10, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For those of us on the west coast, cable shows like Dexter and Walking Dead air (and get recorded by our DVRs) at 6pm, and football ends by 7:15, so there isn’t as much competition as you suggest. The main question is which will we watch Sunday and which will be saved for later in the week. Dexter and Breaking Bad are two that I absolutely watch on Sunday. I always watched The Good Wife live on Tuesdays, so I may watch it live on Sunday now.

Comment by Nan – September 10, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shows only come on earlier on the West Coast if you have AMC HD. We dropped the HD channels a year ago and the regular AMC does not air the shows earlier. I think I’ll watch the Walking Dead like I did last year, get a season pass on iTunes. I have to watch The Good Wife live. I’m too impatient to wait for it to come to On Demand or on the internet.

Comment by Sally – September 12, 2011 02:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People, people its not a matter of if the football game fouls up the CBS line-up its an absolute certainty. So all of the CBS shows have to get DVRed allowing at least an extra hour of recording time so we don’t get screwed. Oh yea, if forgot. I DVR everything. I never watch live TV and with 3 DVR’s it’s easy, and with the cable channels having multiple showings it makes it a snap to do. If you can afford it and have time to watch its the only way to go.

Comment by nlc6868 – September 10, 2011 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too much TV on Sunday’s. I’ll have to watch The Amazing Race, Desperate Housewives and Pan Am as they air. DVR Once Upon a Time and The Walking Dead, and watch Boardwalk Empire and Homeland the day after either On Demand or on HBO GO. I’m secretly sort of hoping Pan Am gets cancelled just so it’s one less show to watch.

Comment by Justin – September 10, 2011 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched ABC in years. Just have basic cable so no Showtime. Won’t watch FOX–their news is so biased, they’ll spin anything to their view point. I’ve had it up to “HERE” with that good wife. Can’t stand reality shows. Doesn’t leave me a lot, does it. I watch mostley CBS and NBC.

Comment by Joyce – September 10, 2011 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS putting The Good Wife against DH is just plain mean.

Football is going to win the night anyway, let a good veteran show go off the air in peace already.

Amazing Race — Desperate Housewives — Pan Am.

Comment by miles silverberg – September 11, 2011 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Housewives because this is the last season and Once Upon a Time. Heard great things about this show and its my #1 pick for new shows this season so fingers crossed it does well.

10pm is nothing. All boring.

Comment by Guy – September 11, 2011 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll stick to Dexter out of loyalty, but holy sh** look at Sundays at 9.

Comment by Sourabh – September 11, 2011 01:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I may drive a Yugo, but I’ve got DVR on 2 TVs. Yesssssssss!

Comment by Dan – September 11, 2011 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing Race at 8. So happy The Walking Dead is on at 9, so I can watch it live. After watching trailers for Homeland, it looks really good and is a sure bet for me to watch. Still not sure if I’ll watch any new network pilots. There’s also of course Breaking Bad which end its fourth season on October 9.

Comment by Alex – September 11, 2011 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the best nights for me, even though very tough decisions to be made:
    - Once Upon a Time (sooo eager for this to start);
    - This is very very tricky. Dexter and The Good Wife are two of my three favorite dramas on air, and The Walking Dead, which 6 episodes I saw during one afternoon is also amazing, surely top5 dramas, so I will probably watch The Good Wife live due to ratings, dvdr dexter and catch up walking dead online. But I am not sure I can actually dvdr dexter, i am always crazy to know what will happen on that show
    - Pan Am live and I will DVDR the first episodes of Homeland to see what I think of it

Comment by francis – September 11, 2011 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘Once Upon a Time’
    ‘The Good Wife’

Comment by eli – September 11, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These polls prove only one thing: this is a site for chicks.

Comment by Jack – September 11, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sunday night is probably my easiest. Simpsons/FREE/Desperate Housewives/Pan Am. I’ll catch Family Guy on my DVR Monday morning.

Comment by scooterbeanbag – September 11, 2011 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch Once Upon a Time, Dexter and Pan Am.
    And DVR The Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels,Homeland and Boardwalk Empire.
    The storyline on Desperate Housewives has become desperate, so I think I’m going to skip that this season.

Comment by Whatever – September 11, 2011 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Simpsons always!!!!!!

Comment by Jo – September 11, 2011 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post