Exclusive

Scoop: Criminal Minds Season 7 Gets Personal, Bringing Back JJ's Baby Daddy and More

Once the dust that comes with pulling Prentiss “out of the grave” settles, CBS’ Criminal Minds will take a breath and use some of its seventh season to explore the more personal side of the hard-working BAU agents.

Fall TV Promo: The Criminal Minds Team Faces the Music

“Every time we can reveal another layer of one of our characters, all the better,” executive producer Erica Messer told TVLine Tuesday at a Paley Center event tributing the crime drama (which returns Sept. 21). “We study how everybody else ticks, how all the bad guys tick, and I want to be able to study our heroes, too. And this season, we’ve earned that. It’s seven years, so I think it’s time we get to do that.”

For one, A.J. Cook shared with us that the show will revisit William LaMontagne Jr., the onetime New Orleans detective whom viewers first met in Season 2, and in Season 4 emerged as the father of JJ’s baby. Third Watch‘s Josh Stewart will again reprise the role.

“We’re going to see her baby’s daddy and her baby again, which my actual real-life son will be playing,” said Cook. “So it’ll be fun. We’re definitely going to see into her personal life and what’s been happening there.”

Criminal Minds Season 7 Premiere Pics: Prentiss Returns!

Speaking of love interests, as first reported by TVLine, Homicide: Life on the Street‘s Isabella Hofmann will guest-star as Rossi’s first wife, in a two-week arc beginning with Episode 5.

“It’s going to be special in really bittersweet way,” Messer previews. What, no warm, fuzzy rekindling of an old romance? “It’s the Criminal Minds version of that,” notes the EP, “so it has to be a little bit darker, right?”

Joe Mantegna, who had been lobbying for any of Rossi’s three (!) exes to make a showing, says the storyline “exceeded my expectations,” adding: “When you’re on a show for seven years, I think the fans appreciate something that deals with the personal aspects of the characters.”

The Women of Criminal Minds Celebrate: The Band Is Back Together!

And then there’s Reid, whose past history of drug addiction will again be addressed. “It’s territory that we don’t want to go over again because we feel like he’s been there and done that,” Messer allows, “but it’s also defined who he is. So we have to explore that.”

In addition, Matthew Gray Gubler told us that his alter ego’s mysterious Season 6 headaches are “still lingering, as headaches are wont to do.” But as for his own wishes for Reid’s personal life, Gubler wants him to go back to school.

“I’d like to see him become like an adjunct professor at a community college,” says the actor, “and start teaching people something totally unrelated to criminology.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Linda says:

I’m so thankful everyone is back together. It’s gonna b a great season. Luv it !!!

2. Judy says:

I am so glad the team is back!!!!

3. mary says:

Extremely well done. Absolutly wonderful. The team is back. The best
    hour on TV.

4. Alexis says:

I am really excited for season 7, but I really hope Reid doesn’t leave the BAU cause if he does become a professor that means he quits the show. I believe Matthew asking for a raise has made the producers think of taking him off the show at the end of season 7 ( his contract ends after that) so I really hope Matthew decides to stay on the show raise or not cause if Reid goes then so do have of the shows fans (including me)

5. hmheron says:

Now that things are back to the way they were I will start watching CM again!!!!!! Dont change a thing.

6. cole says:

Super stoked about Will and JJ this season. Like him or not, Will is a good man, he loves JJ and brings much needed balence to her life. I think it would be cheap to split them up after everything the two have been through, taking the easy way out when things get tough I guess. In my opinion neither character would let that happen.

7. regina riley says:

i think hotch and emily would be really HOT–

8. Donna says:

Thank you to CBS for bringing the girls back to Criminal Minds. Garcia needed JJ and Prentiss back to balance the guys. This is one GREAT ensemble cast!!! Why are they overlooked at the Emmy Awards??? A bunch of fine actors and they work well together!

9. Disappointed says:

I’m so disappointed in the new season. They washed over Emily’s return and everyone is okay like it never happened. If you can’t deal w/ a huge bomb like a fake death I don’t really care how you’ll deal w/ an ex-wife or marriage. This is an unrealistic and second-rate season which sucks because this was my favorite show. This is just bad story development. BAD.

10. Lori says:

My favorite show on tv! So happy the entire cast is back together.

11. wheatlandy says:

Above all else, let’s see continuity that does not ignore CM history. If the episodes delve more into their personal lives let it be in the context of who they were and what is bringing them to these newly developed circumstances. Loyal longterm fans have excellent memories and hate being played for fools.

I love the show, and it’s been wonderful to watch them develop their acting skills as they grew into their roles. Great casting, and writing for that matter, albeit Season 6 went off track somehow.

Great to see them all back and I congratulate CBS for reversing their earlier decision re casting. Please keep Hotch the great leader that he is, and frankly, I too, don’t understand why the Kevin/Garcia thing when Morgan and her are just so great together. The tension between M & G hangs in the air like coastal fog and destroying that would spell disaster.

12. jimmy says:

JJ was not in Oct 26th episode, why?

13. ella michaels says:

thank God the galz are back!esp jj.i luv penelope,hotch,reid but jj is just soo cute n wholesome.

14. ella says:

i’m with u wheatlandy.i hope though that they dont focus 2 much on reid’s drug habit.would nt like to see him poppin pills like house.perfect is cool 2

15. Denise says:

Please bring the show back… I keep watching the marathons . Just waiting on the show to return. I want Criminal Minds!!!!! please

16. Crazycocacola says:

What is the name of the book that JJ read at the end?

17. Charlean Price says:

I am very happy the cast is back together again. What changed the execs minds about bringing them back.
    Anyway I’m happy they did., it’s one of my favorite series. Thank you.

18. Habibi says:

We dont trust this amazing submit. Nevertheless, I saw it gazed for Digg along with Ive determined you could be appropriate so i ended up being imagining within the completely wrong way. Persist with writing top quality stuff along these lines.