Fall TV Preview

Is Unforgettable a Procedural To Remember? Our Fall TV First Impression:

The networks have more than 30 shows debuting this fall, including 2 Broke Girls, one New Girl, and Charlie’s fresh formation of Angels. To help you prepare for it all, TVLine is offering First Impressions based on the not-for-review pilots. Next up…

THE SHOW | CBS’ Unforgettable (Tuesdays at 10/9c, premiering Sept. 20)

THE COMPETITION | ABC’s Body of Proof, NBC’s Parenthood and FX’s Sons of Anarchy

THE CAST | Poppy Montgomery (Without a Trace), Dylan Walsh (Nip/Tuck), Michael Gaston (Jericho), Kevin Rankin (Friday Night Lights) and Daya Vaidya

TVLine’s Fall TV Premieres Calendar: Save the 101 Dates!

THE SET-UP | Carrie Wells (played by Montgomery) has hyperthymesia — or a super-duper, Marilu Henner-like memory. That made her a helluva cop at one time, but it also cost her a serious relationship. Walsh plays Al Burns, a NYPD detective who used to be Carrie’s partner back in Syracuse — and her aforementioned lover. When a neighbor of Carrie’s gets murdered in Queens, she and Al are reunited after a nine-year estrangement, and he enlists her mad skills to crack the case. Is this the start of another beautiful partnership? Oh, and irony alert: Carrie is haunted by the one memory she cannot piece together, involving the death of her sister when they were kids.

More of TVLine’s First Impressions: NBC’s Up All Night and The Playboy Club, Fox’s Terra Novaand New Girl, ABC’s Pan AmOnce Upon a Time and Charlie’s Angels, The CW’s Hart of DixieThe Secret Circle and Ringer, CBS’ 2 Broke Girls and Person of Interest

THE GOOD | Unforgettable — which at one stage carried the regrettable title of The Rememberer, I kid you not — does offer up a slightly new-ish take on the standard CBS procedural, as Carrie’s steel trap of a brain catches people in lies or culls crime-scene irregularities. Montgomery and Walsh deliver convincing banter as mutually scorned ex-lovers. Though not set in Syracuse (aka the home of my college alma mater), there’s enough name-checking to make an Orangeman proud. Montgomery is quite possibly the most attractive person on primetime TV this season.

THE… COULD-BE-BETTER | When Carrie “steps outside” herself to revisit her memory of a crime scene, yes, it gives us double the Poppy, but it’s 10 percent hokey. Plus, how often can she be a witness to that week’s case?…. I don’t have a refined ear for such things, but several critics have fixated on the Aussie Montgomery’s American accent…. Hey, why not set it in Syracuse? Plenty of bad stuff goes on upstate, trust me — especially when the men’s hoops team loses the title to a Keith Smart jump shot.

Fall TV Preview: TVLine’s Guide to All of the New Shows!

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | Unforgettable doesn’t break any hugely new ground, but perhaps it doesn’t need to. For one, it’s capping a night fueled by the NCIS shows, so it’s thematically more on-point that Good Wife ever was in this time slot. Plus, it brings Montgomery and Walsh back to TV. Ultimately, success may be determined by who can retain more of their beefy lead-in: Unforgettable or ABC’s Body of Proof (which follows the Dancing With the Stars results show). Perhaps in CBS’ favor is the sparse buzz that the latest DWTS casting rumors have generated.

Watch a video preview for Unforgettable, then vote in our poll below.

Comments (59)

• Ya! Can’t wait for this show. I love Poppy Montgomery, and Dylan Walsh, not to forget Kevin Rankin!

Comment by Sarah – August 24, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love poppy, too, and thought she did a great job in the J. K. Rowling bio-pic. Plus I like the premise of this show as I have an eidetic memory myself and can relate.

Comment by Templar – August 24, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For perspective, last Spring the cast of DWTS was greeted with disdain and lack of interest and it was their biggest season.

Comment by Mike – August 24, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, i’m confused how come the Rememberer is such a bad title?

Comment by Jimmy – August 24, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Try pronouncing it. ;)

Comment by abc123 – August 24, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Reminds me of… The Rural Juror.

Comment by WiWri – August 24, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes! The Rrrrr Jrrrr FTW!

Comment by Chmarin – August 24, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL at the Rural Juror comment!!! Haha Too bad Poppy’s getting more attention than her. (For anyone who’s wondering it’s a “30 Rock” joke)

Comment by Brittany – August 24, 2011 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It looks more strange than it is to say it!

Comment by davey – August 24, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “The Rememberer” is a pretty bad title, but “Unforgettable” is at least as bad (for different reasons). Mainly because it’s so nondescript. It’s like all those bland, almost meaningless movie titles crime and legal thriller films have had for the last 20 years or so. They’d be better off calling it “The Eidetective” or “Detective Elephant” or something cutesy like that.

Comment by Tego Livi – August 26, 2011 03:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show looks and sounds terrible. There are going to be coincidences galore…another procedural that will explain everything with tons of exposition. And why do they have to be ex-lovers? So people can sit and cheer for them to get together, just like the fans of all the CBS procedurals cheer for this one and that one to finally get together….

Comment by Z – August 24, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with all of that…this show looks like it should be on the LIFETIME network…having said that every season the shows that i laugh at end up becoming huge hits…this show looks dumb.

Comment by NickC – August 24, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • can’t say i disagree with either one of you…

Comment by flutiefan – August 24, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i concur. the idea of having a protagonist with hyperthymesia is intriguing, but the rest of the premise pretty much lost me. On top of that, i’m under 60, so the tone of most of CBS’ dramas irks the heck out of me. I’ll check it out to see if it’s better than i think, but i have pretty low expectations. And since CBS doesn’t have OnDemand in my area, if anything else is on at the same time that i like, too bad Unforgettable.

Comment by neen – August 25, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Poppy Montgomery in WAT and I like Dylan Walsh too. And Kevin Rankin is in the cast and I adore him so I’ll be checking this out for sure.

Comment by Tracy – August 24, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood will have my undivided attention. Besides, I am one of those people who can’t get past Poppy’s horrible American accent.

Comment by Emily – August 24, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Poppy has lived in the United States since she was a kid. Have you heard her speak in interviews? She doesn’t have any kind of Aussie accent.

Comment by Don J – August 24, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i’ve heard several inflections over the years on Without a Trace. there are words she says “funny” and many times she’d complete a whole line as an Aussie. i always wondered why no one called her on it…
        maybe in these interviews, she’s deliberately trying to cover it up?

Comment by flutiefan – August 24, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t view the video here in Canada, but how is her accent any different than the American one she used in 8 seasons of Without a Trace?

Comment by Annie – August 24, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It has nothing to do with the preview. I think Emily was making a general comment thinking that Poppy is “faking” an American accent since she’s Australian.

Listen to her in this interview from July. No a lick of an Aussie accent.

Comment by Don J – August 24, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ok i just watched that. if you truly believe that’s “no lick of an Aussie accent,” then you have as bad an ear as Matt Webb Mitovich. it wasn’t Crocodile Dundee, but it was obviously not American!

Comment by flutiefan – August 24, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it me or has CBS just copied two different versions of USA’s PSYCH in two seperate shows. Unforgetable seems to be stealing Shawn Spencer knack for remembering the most minute details, while The Mentalist steals the quirky nature of a police consultant. CBS really seems to be keeping up with all the fresh new ideas.

Comment by Matt – August 24, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope Psych starts to rip on them like they already do the mentalist. Shawn: If I were a fake psychic, it would be eerily similar
      Gus: Exactly the same
      Shawn: A virtual carbon copy

Comment by Brendan – August 24, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not really. Shawn Spenser’s memory is a trained observance technique that was hammered in by his cop dad. Not the same as being born that way. And The Mentalist is merely a student of human nature.

Comment by Templar – August 24, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Shawn is eidetic too he gets it from his mother. So is Patrick Jane.

Comment by Rich – August 24, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • OK I’m confused. If Shawn has a photographic memory, why is Gus always correcting him?

Comment by GK – August 24, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You aren’t getting it. It doesn’t matter if it was a learned technique or inherited. The point is…they are ALL THE SAME. All three shows have a main character who uses their enhanced observation skills to help the cops catch bad guys. Been there. Done that. Boring!

Comment by Jax – August 24, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Then throw Criminal Minds into that pot too. Reid has the same gift.

Comment by Pete – August 24, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • So does the young guy on Suits.

Comment by boots – August 25, 2011 04:11 PM PDT
  • I like Poppy Montgomery alot from WAT and also Dylan Walsh, so I will check this out. But, as far as the competition goes, I think Body of Proof will win the timeslot and this will finish 2nd. Sadly, I love Parenthood, but it will finish 3rd with about 5-6M viewers like last season. Sons of Anarchy isn’t a factor since it’s on cable.

Comment by Don J – August 24, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Parenthood and Sons are the best of the night!

Comment by alpha – August 24, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Parenthood’s a wonderful show – and their demos in 18-49 are good. Good enough to screw with The Good Wife’s demos enough to send it to Sunday night. I love the Bravermans, that’s what I’ll be watching.

Comment by Sara – August 24, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to like actors, and I want to see the best in them. But Dylan Walsh could be replaced with a cardboard cutout and no one would notice.

Comment by Sam – August 24, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^THIS! And why do they have to be ‘former lovers, working together’? Sounds like Jack and Samantha from Without a Trace – cue the angst and insert eyeroll here!!! I used to like Poppy early on in WAT – she was so natural and fresh – but not any more. She looks botoxed and plastic, just like her former WAT co-star Roselyn Sanchez. Oh and how long before Mr Montgomery, Adam Kaufman, gets a recurring role on the show? (Insert another eyeroll here)

Comment by Garrett – August 24, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Poppy Montgomery and Adam Kaufman are so ugly!

Comment by Anna – August 29, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I can say is: Thank God for DVRs and OnDemand!

Comment by GG – August 24, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I´ll be watching Parenthood for sure. Enough with the procedurals already!!

Comment by Lena – August 24, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These columns are forcing me to watch shows I previously had no intention of watching. In this case, I plan to at least give it a shot for Kevin Rankin. He was great in FNL and even great in the bad show, Trauma.

Comment by Pam – August 24, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be checking this out. Can’t stand Body of Proof, so this will get the second slot on my DVR, after Parenthood. :)

Comment by XK – August 24, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Poppy Montgomery and Dylan Walsh, and I watch the NCIS franchise that will be on before. But, I really like Body of Proof, so I’ll probably be DVRing Unforgettable and see if it’s good enough to keep on the DVR list.

Comment by Bella – August 24, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poppy M. is great and the show looks awesome. I cannot wait !!!

Comment by katia – August 24, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure about the premise of the show, but Poppy Montgomery looks smokin’ as a strawberry blonde!

Comment by Mandy – August 24, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, that’s a *smashing* Not Available In Your Country message, I just might watch this show!

Comment by ph – August 24, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I won’t miss Parenthood so it depends on the other competition. If it’s only what’s listed I may try it.

Comment by Jeri – August 24, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show seems stupid! Poppy Montgomery is a terrible actress! She ruined “Without a trace”!

Comment by Anthony – August 24, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the idea of this show and love Poppy. She was great in Without a Trace which I loved with all my heart. Great to see her back. She was one of those actresses that I was meh about at first but came of love over the years.

Comment by Adrienne – August 24, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poppy was the best thing about Without a Trace – can’t wait to see her back. I’m a big Parenthood fan but this series will be on my DVR for sure!

Comment by linderella – August 24, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t even hold my attention for the entire preview. No thanks.

Comment by jj – August 24, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto. The out of body experience was where it lost me. She’s decent to look at, but her accent is distracting. Reminds me of Anna Torv of Fringe for sure in accent and delivery.
      I’m sure it’ll do fine because most things on CBS do, but I’m definitely going to pass on it because it just doesn’t seem interesting enough. You can tell they were trying hard to make it interesting (out of body experience! ex-lover and co-worker! sister’s murder!), but it just turns out to be far too cliche. Meh.

Comment by Danielle H. – August 24, 2011 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show sounds interesting to me, especially since this is a rare condition only a handful of people suffer from. Plus, I like Poppy and Dylan as actors. I’ll definitely be seeing it this fall.

Comment by Justin – August 24, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will be watching PARENTHOOD. How very much like tvline to not even mention Parenthood in the last paragraph. *rollingmyeyes* Which show beat Body of Proof in the all-important demos with their season finale? Parenthood. It’s time Ausiello and Mitovich started giving Lauren Graham and Peter Krause the attention they deserve.

Comment by Cassie – August 24, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tuesdays at 10pm? Parenthood.

Comment by Ryan – August 24, 2011 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I might not have checked it out until I saw Kevin Rankin was in it.
    I’m crazy about that guy so I will definitely be watching.

Comment by Renee – August 24, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this looks like an excellent show. I’ve been looking forward to it since I saw the first trailer!

Comment by Sarina – August 24, 2011 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not be watching this show.

Comment by Lisa – August 25, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i will watch this show just for kevin rankin love this actor very talentec

Comment by jen – August 31, 2011 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UNFORGETTABLE is one of the worst crime dramas I can’t even remember, in case you know it by now. PARENTHOOD and BODY OF PROOF have high hopes in the same timeslot but not this Poppy Montgomery-lead series.

Comment by kevin – September 5, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the things that bugs me the most are that she can’t remember the most important day of her life and that she has a super memory and never forgets anything while her mother has Alzheimer’s. I predicted these two were gonna be huge plot points as soon as I read that she has a photographic memory. I like Poppy and adore Dylan from Nip/Tuck but I doubt I’ll be a regular viewer of this show unless there’s nothing else on tv at the same time.

Comment by Brittany – September 5, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post