Is Unforgettable a Procedural To Remember? Our Fall TV First Impression:

The networks have more than 30 shows debuting this fall, including 2 Broke Girls, one New Girl, and Charlie’s fresh formation of Angels. To help you prepare for it all, TVLine is offering First Impressions based on the not-for-review pilots. Next up…

THE SHOW | CBS’ Unforgettable (Tuesdays at 10/9c, premiering Sept. 20)

THE COMPETITION | ABC’s Body of Proof, NBC’s Parenthood and FX’s Sons of Anarchy

THE CAST | Poppy Montgomery (Without a Trace), Dylan Walsh (Nip/Tuck), Michael Gaston (Jericho), Kevin Rankin (Friday Night Lights) and Daya Vaidya

TVLine’s Fall TV Premieres Calendar: Save the 101 Dates!

THE SET-UP | Carrie Wells (played by Montgomery) has hyperthymesia — or a super-duper, Marilu Henner-like memory. That made her a helluva cop at one time, but it also cost her a serious relationship. Walsh plays Al Burns, a NYPD detective who used to be Carrie’s partner back in Syracuse — and her aforementioned lover. When a neighbor of Carrie’s gets murdered in Queens, she and Al are reunited after a nine-year estrangement, and he enlists her mad skills to crack the case. Is this the start of another beautiful partnership? Oh, and irony alert: Carrie is haunted by the one memory she cannot piece together, involving the death of her sister when they were kids.

More of TVLine’s First Impressions: NBC’s Up All Night and The Playboy Club, Fox’s Terra Novaand New Girl, ABC’s Pan AmOnce Upon a Time and Charlie’s Angels, The CW’s Hart of DixieThe Secret Circle and Ringer, CBS’ 2 Broke Girls and Person of Interest

THE GOOD | Unforgettable — which at one stage carried the regrettable title of The Rememberer, I kid you not — does offer up a slightly new-ish take on the standard CBS procedural, as Carrie’s steel trap of a brain catches people in lies or culls crime-scene irregularities. Montgomery and Walsh deliver convincing banter as mutually scorned ex-lovers. Though not set in Syracuse (aka the home of my college alma mater), there’s enough name-checking to make an Orangeman proud. Montgomery is quite possibly the most attractive person on primetime TV this season.

THE… COULD-BE-BETTER | When Carrie “steps outside” herself to revisit her memory of a crime scene, yes, it gives us double the Poppy, but it’s 10 percent hokey. Plus, how often can she be a witness to that week’s case?…. I don’t have a refined ear for such things, but several critics have fixated on the Aussie Montgomery’s American accent…. Hey, why not set it in Syracuse? Plenty of bad stuff goes on upstate, trust me — especially when the men’s hoops team loses the title to a Keith Smart jump shot.

Fall TV Preview: TVLine’s Guide to All of the New Shows!

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | Unforgettable doesn’t break any hugely new ground, but perhaps it doesn’t need to. For one, it’s capping a night fueled by the NCIS shows, so it’s thematically more on-point that Good Wife ever was in this time slot. Plus, it brings Montgomery and Walsh back to TV. Ultimately, success may be determined by who can retain more of their beefy lead-in: Unforgettable or ABC’s Body of Proof (which follows the Dancing With the Stars results show). Perhaps in CBS’ favor is the sparse buzz that the latest DWTS casting rumors have generated.

Watch a video preview for Unforgettable, then vote in our poll below.

1. Sarah says:

Ya! Can’t wait for this show. I love Poppy Montgomery, and Dylan Walsh, not to forget Kevin Rankin!

• Templar says:

I love poppy, too, and thought she did a great job in the J. K. Rowling bio-pic. Plus I like the premise of this show as I have an eidetic memory myself and can relate.

2. Mike says:

For perspective, last Spring the cast of DWTS was greeted with disdain and lack of interest and it was their biggest season.

3. Jimmy says:

Wait, i’m confused how come the Rememberer is such a bad title?

4. Z says:

This show looks and sounds terrible. There are going to be coincidences galore…another procedural that will explain everything with tons of exposition. And why do they have to be ex-lovers? So people can sit and cheer for them to get together, just like the fans of all the CBS procedurals cheer for this one and that one to finally get together….

• NickC says:

I agree with all of that…this show looks like it should be on the LIFETIME network…having said that every season the shows that i laugh at end up becoming huge hits…this show looks dumb.

• flutiefan says:

can’t say i disagree with either one of you…

• neen says:

i concur. the idea of having a protagonist with hyperthymesia is intriguing, but the rest of the premise pretty much lost me. On top of that, i’m under 60, so the tone of most of CBS’ dramas irks the heck out of me. I’ll check it out to see if it’s better than i think, but i have pretty low expectations. And since CBS doesn’t have OnDemand in my area, if anything else is on at the same time that i like, too bad Unforgettable.

5. Tracy says:

I loved Poppy Montgomery in WAT and I like Dylan Walsh too. And Kevin Rankin is in the cast and I adore him so I’ll be checking this out for sure.

6. Emily says:

Parenthood will have my undivided attention. Besides, I am one of those people who can’t get past Poppy’s horrible American accent.

• Don J says:

Poppy has lived in the United States since she was a kid. Have you heard her speak in interviews? She doesn’t have any kind of Aussie accent.

• flutiefan says:

i’ve heard several inflections over the years on Without a Trace. there are words she says “funny” and many times she’d complete a whole line as an Aussie. i always wondered why no one called her on it…
        maybe in these interviews, she’s deliberately trying to cover it up?

• Annie says:

I can’t view the video here in Canada, but how is her accent any different than the American one she used in 8 seasons of Without a Trace?

• Don J says:

It has nothing to do with the preview. I think Emily was making a general comment thinking that Poppy is “faking” an American accent since she’s Australian.

Listen to her in this interview from July. No a lick of an Aussie accent.

• flutiefan says:

ok i just watched that. if you truly believe that’s “no lick of an Aussie accent,” then you have as bad an ear as Matt Webb Mitovich. it wasn’t Crocodile Dundee, but it was obviously not American!

7. Matt says:

Is it me or has CBS just copied two different versions of USA’s PSYCH in two seperate shows. Unforgetable seems to be stealing Shawn Spencer knack for remembering the most minute details, while The Mentalist steals the quirky nature of a police consultant. CBS really seems to be keeping up with all the fresh new ideas.

• Brendan says:

I hope Psych starts to rip on them like they already do the mentalist. Shawn: If I were a fake psychic, it would be eerily similar
      Gus: Exactly the same
      Shawn: A virtual carbon copy

• Templar says:

Not really. Shawn Spenser’s memory is a trained observance technique that was hammered in by his cop dad. Not the same as being born that way. And The Mentalist is merely a student of human nature.

8. Don J says:

I like Poppy Montgomery alot from WAT and also Dylan Walsh, so I will check this out. But, as far as the competition goes, I think Body of Proof will win the timeslot and this will finish 2nd. Sadly, I love Parenthood, but it will finish 3rd with about 5-6M viewers like last season. Sons of Anarchy isn’t a factor since it’s on cable.

• alpha says:

Parenthood and Sons are the best of the night!

• Sara says:

Parenthood’s a wonderful show – and their demos in 18-49 are good. Good enough to screw with The Good Wife’s demos enough to send it to Sunday night. I love the Bravermans, that’s what I’ll be watching.

9. Sam says:

I want to like actors, and I want to see the best in them. But Dylan Walsh could be replaced with a cardboard cutout and no one would notice.

• Garrett says:

^^THIS! And why do they have to be ‘former lovers, working together’? Sounds like Jack and Samantha from Without a Trace – cue the angst and insert eyeroll here!!! I used to like Poppy early on in WAT – she was so natural and fresh – but not any more. She looks botoxed and plastic, just like her former WAT co-star Roselyn Sanchez. Oh and how long before Mr Montgomery, Adam Kaufman, gets a recurring role on the show? (Insert another eyeroll here)

10. GG says:

All I can say is: Thank God for DVRs and OnDemand!

11. Lena says:

I´ll be watching Parenthood for sure. Enough with the procedurals already!!

12. Pam says:

These columns are forcing me to watch shows I previously had no intention of watching. In this case, I plan to at least give it a shot for Kevin Rankin. He was great in FNL and even great in the bad show, Trauma.

13. XK says:

I’ll be checking this out. Can’t stand Body of Proof, so this will get the second slot on my DVR, after Parenthood. :)

14. Bella says:

I like Poppy Montgomery and Dylan Walsh, and I watch the NCIS franchise that will be on before. But, I really like Body of Proof, so I’ll probably be DVRing Unforgettable and see if it’s good enough to keep on the DVR list.

15. katia says:

Poppy M. is great and the show looks awesome. I cannot wait !!!

16. Mandy says:

Not sure about the premise of the show, but Poppy Montgomery looks smokin’ as a strawberry blonde!

17. ph says:

Wow, that’s a *smashing* Not Available In Your Country message, I just might watch this show!

18. Jeri says:

I won’t miss Parenthood so it depends on the other competition. If it’s only what’s listed I may try it.

19. Anthony says:

This show seems stupid! Poppy Montgomery is a terrible actress! She ruined “Without a trace”!

20. Adrienne says:

Love the idea of this show and love Poppy. She was great in Without a Trace which I loved with all my heart. Great to see her back. She was one of those actresses that I was meh about at first but came of love over the years.

21. linderella says:

Poppy was the best thing about Without a Trace – can’t wait to see her back. I’m a big Parenthood fan but this series will be on my DVR for sure!

22. jj says:

Didn’t even hold my attention for the entire preview. No thanks.

• Danielle H. says:

Ditto. The out of body experience was where it lost me. She’s decent to look at, but her accent is distracting. Reminds me of Anna Torv of Fringe for sure in accent and delivery.
      I’m sure it’ll do fine because most things on CBS do, but I’m definitely going to pass on it because it just doesn’t seem interesting enough. You can tell they were trying hard to make it interesting (out of body experience! ex-lover and co-worker! sister’s murder!), but it just turns out to be far too cliche. Meh.

23. Justin says:

The show sounds interesting to me, especially since this is a rare condition only a handful of people suffer from. Plus, I like Poppy and Dylan as actors. I’ll definitely be seeing it this fall.

24. Cassie says:

Will be watching PARENTHOOD. How very much like tvline to not even mention Parenthood in the last paragraph. *rollingmyeyes* Which show beat Body of Proof in the all-important demos with their season finale? Parenthood. It’s time Ausiello and Mitovich started giving Lauren Graham and Peter Krause the attention they deserve.

25. Ryan says:

Tuesdays at 10pm? Parenthood.

26. Renee says:

I might not have checked it out until I saw Kevin Rankin was in it.
    I’m crazy about that guy so I will definitely be watching.

27. Sarina says:

I think this looks like an excellent show. I’ve been looking forward to it since I saw the first trailer!

28. Lisa says:

I will not be watching this show.

29. jen says:

i will watch this show just for kevin rankin love this actor very talentec

30. kevin says:

UNFORGETTABLE is one of the worst crime dramas I can’t even remember, in case you know it by now. PARENTHOOD and BODY OF PROOF have high hopes in the same timeslot but not this Poppy Montgomery-lead series.

31. Brittany says:

I think the things that bugs me the most are that she can’t remember the most important day of her life and that she has a super memory and never forgets anything while her mother has Alzheimer’s. I predicted these two were gonna be huge plot points as soon as I read that she has a photographic memory. I like Poppy and adore Dylan from Nip/Tuck but I doubt I’ll be a regular viewer of this show unless there’s nothing else on tv at the same time.