Vampire Gal Kayla Ewell Talks 'Killer' Glades Visit

Get More: Interviews, Previews

Before Kayla Ewell resumes her ghostly duties on The Vampire Diaries next month, she’s making a pit stop in Miami as a “vixen” bartender on this Sunday’s The Glades (A&E, 10/9c). Along with being a potential killer, her character has this very important piece of information to offer: “Men love women in bikinis who serve them drinks” – as the accompanying photo would seem to demonstrate.

“My character has a million boyfriends wrapped around her finger, and she thinks it’s no big deal,” Ewell tells TVLine. “She likes to toy with everyone — including the detectives.”

Ewell’s egomaniacal alter ego takes full credit for the bar’s success, and as such makes it her mission to push out the owner. Do we smell a motive, straight up? “I could absolutely be the killer,” Ewell teases. “But so could one of my 15 boyfriends.”

But the real mystery here is: Why does Ewell keep getting cast as bartenders and waitresses? Frankly, she has no idea.

“I’m one of the only actresses in Los Angeles who has never waited tables — yet — and I’m so terrible at holding trays,” she admits. “When we shot the Vampire Diaries pilot, I totally spilled water all down Nina Dobrev, and she had to get her hair and make-up redone. I told myself I’d do better on The Glades, but on the first take of the first scene, I completely spilled everything on my tray. I need to practice that.”

The Vampire Diaries premieres its third season Thursday, Sept. 15, at 8/7c on The CW.

Comments (13)

• She’s so typecast.

Comment by Captain – August 19, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It doesn’t matter how much she spills-

She must look damn good in a bikini-that’s what producers and directors want.
    Whether they’ll admit it or not.

Comment by francine – August 19, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not really looking forward to her returning to The Vampire Diaries. I found her character highly annoying & it was one tv land death I was completely happy about. But maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Comment by Elizabeth – August 19, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about not missing her character as originally written, but I’m interested to see if/how she’ll be different as a ghost.

Comment by wordsmith – August 19, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? I loved how her characters mood turned on a dime all the time… never knew what was going to happen with her. I hope we see some of that now too.

Comment by Denise @ wittyliving.com – August 19, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not one to criticize looks, but that photo makes her look skeleton-skinny and NOT healthy at all. Is that considered attractive?

Comment by Gretchen – August 19, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To those directors and producers, Yes.

They’re the ones that ‘count’.

Comment by francine – August 19, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And yet you *are* criticizing. It is a photo after all.

Comment by Tania – August 19, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It being a photo makes it scarier as the adage is that the “camera adds 10 pounds.”

I just think it is unhealthy to promote such skin n’bones types as “healthy.” It is downright frightening.

Comment by Gretchen – August 19, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • some of us are naturally petite. don’t hate on us cause we’re not all tubs.

Comment by lorna – August 20, 2011 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m petite but can’t eat all I want. After holidays have to pull in the belt. Different body types. Small boned shows fat more than big boned people. Naturally petite! Are’nt you lucky.

Comment by Dory – January 20, 2013 03:47 PM PDT
  • Wasn’t this show cancelled? Didn’t it have witches on it?

Comment by Fleur De Lis – August 19, 2011 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED her on the oc and the vampire diaries so i cant wait until her episode of the glades, even though im 4 eps behind. guess i know what i’ll be doing this wkd.

Comment by lorna – August 20, 2011 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post