Exclusive

Exclusive: Supernatural Stages Buffy Reunion With Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters!

The CW’s Supernatural aims to slay you by reuniting Buffyverse alumni Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters — aka Cordelia and Spike — in one of its Season 7 episodes, TVLine has learned exclusively.

What’s more, the two actors, who previously worked together both on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its David Boreanaz-fronted spin-off Angel, will be playing husband and wife on the spooktacular drama, which launches its new cycle on Friday, Sept. 23, at 9/8c. Watch for this glorious genre-gasm to come in the new season’s fifth episode, titled “Shut Up, Dr. Phil.”

“This episode is ‘Bewitched gone wrong,'” reveals showrunner Sera Gamble. “[It was] all upside for this successful man (Marsters) while he was married to the witch (Carpenter), but now that he’s pissed her off, the whole town is paying the price.”

TVLine happened to be speaking with Carpenter on Wednesday morning (to talk up her Sept. 1 Burn Notice appearance), when she shared what little she could about her Supernatural outing. “My people called me yesterday to see if I wanted to do it and I’m like, ‘Yeah, I’d love to go to Vancouver in the summer!'” she said. “It’s probably one of my all-time favorite cities.”

At the time, little did Carpenter know that the Canadian seaport would be playing host to the biggest on-screen Buffy reunion to date, or at least since her and Nicholas Brendon’s 2006 ABC Family movie, Relative Chaos.

Carpenter and Marsters will film their Supernatural appearance the week of August 22 — after the former swings by New Orleans for a cameo in Haunted High, a just-announced Syfy original movie about teens trapped in a school by the ghost of a headmaster (played by Lost‘s M.C. Gainey). Pulp film icon Danny Trejo (Machete) costars as a possible hero, while Carpenter lords over the school’s library.

“I asked the director, ‘Can I be totally unrecognizable, using make-up effects, or do I have to be a ‘hot’ librarian?’ And he was like, ‘Hot. Librarian,'” she relates with a laugh. “For once, I want to be something different!”

Carpenter was just seen pulling “double” duty this past Monday on Lifetime’s Deadly Sibling Rivalry (encoring Saturday at 9/8c), while Marsters’ most recent TV credits include Hawaii Five-0, Smallville and Caprica.

1. Maria G says:

Good going with the casting there! Now to wait for Clare Kramer to be on the show too… *hopes*

• cil_domney says:

Great News about the coming appearance of James Marsters – I love this actor – can’t wait to see him on one of my favorites shows. I have been a Supernatural fan since it began.

Wonderful having Charisma Carpenter as a guest as well – These two should be outstanding together.

• spikesgrl says:

You took the words right out of my mouth!!! Love Supernatural. Love James Marsters. Mix the two of them and throw in Cordie and I am one happy girl!!

• wickedlittlelove says:

i can’t wait for James and Charisma to be on Supernatural, i am so looking forward to it now, ugh hurry up September 23rd lol

2. cassi says:

OMG! This can’t be true… THANK YOU! This is the best spoiler EVER!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you…

3. alyssia says:

*SQUEEEEE!!!!*

4. jen says:

Cordy and Spike together on the show.. wow. i might actually have to watch this show now that they will be on it.

5. Ellie says:

Wow, that’s awesome. Can’t wait for s7!

6. Linda says:

AWESOME! Now I want David and Christian to guest star. :D

7. mars says:

okay, time to brush up on supernatural so i can enjoy this awesome reunion! Also, james needs to go blond again! Just sayin’

8. Lana says:

LOVE!!!! But can we get James to bleach his hair and talk in a British accent?

9. ggny says:

would have been better if they both booked guest arc on The Ringer

10. I see what you did there says:

Love Marsters and Carpenter but I’ll stick with my Buffy and Angel DVDs.

But wow does this kind of stunt-casting reek of desperation.

Is Gamble finally cluing in to just how much she continues to alienate the show’s steadily-shrinking fanbase? Probably not since she continues to pimp Sam at the expense of other, more popular characters.

• Jesse says:

That’s why they fired Mischa Collins. They’re going back to Sam and Dean like they should have three seasons ago.

• Elena says:

You seriously have no idea how the TV industry works. Misha Collins was not fired – his story arc has been changed, so he is a recurring guest star.
        You don’t “fire” actors from projects. You end their story arcs completely – so, in essence, to “fire” him, as you put it, they’d have to remove him entirely from the show.
        And “like they should have?” You need new storylines to keep things fresh. I don’t mind them demoting Collins, but if it’s just Sam and Dean killing monsters, it’s boring.

• Kris says:

You Castiel fans are such silly doomsayers.

There was a mytharc before the stupid angels came along. There will be a mytharc now that they’re gone. It’s a fundamental part of the show.

• Clare says:

It’s Benson35/amijek/AmyJ/177crazy. She’s an insane Misha hater and best ignored. Most fans know she’s a lunatic. You should check out what her fellow Septic Tankers say about her on Twitter. ;)

• Jesse says:

“Fired.” “Demoted.” The guy is no longer a regular on the show, regardless of the terminology used. Please spare your patronizing tone for people who have the pleasure of dealing with your know-it-all bulls**t in person.

• I see what you did there says:

Yes I agree they fired MiSHa because he was more popular than Sam and so that Dean has nothing else but SAM, SAM, SAM. Just the way the Beckys in this fandom like it.

• Percysowner says:

Right, because shows always let go of their more popular actors in order to promote unpopular ones. If Misha were the big draw, they would have found a way to keep him as a regular. If you don’t believe me just look to James Marsters who was kept on because Spike was popular whereas Marcus Blucas who played the writers’ favorite character Riley got the boot because the fans didn’t cotton to him.

TV is about making money. TPTB have obviously decided that Misha isn’t necessary as a regular or even as a recurring player, so he isn’t. Jared was asked to sign as a regular for season seven, so he and Sam were considered valuable to the show.

• I see what you did there says:

Marsters wasn’t competing with the show’s top-billed character for popularity. Collins was. ‘Nuf said.

• Andrea says:

Oh percy. Oh *you*. Misha is way more popular than Jared, who’s acknowledged to be the weak link in the show and only there because of Gamble’s self-confessed crush on him. Nothing you ever say or do will ever increase Jared’s popularity, or Sam’s. Just accept, deal and move on, because you’re certainly old enough to know better.

• inazami says:

You make sense, percy. If Misha is so popular, why let him go? But there’s no arguing with deluded Cas fans.

• Rachel says:

Disagree with all of you. Sam is just as important then Castiel. Likewise with Dean. Though I’ll admit they have been using Jared’s character way to much as the main storyline. Im way to ticked off still of Misha’s downgrade though. He’s one of my favs, but I wouldn’t say Sam isn’t important. They’re all three equally important. Until I see how they’re going to handle the Castiel storyline situation I can’t totally bitch about it.

• spikesgrl says:

Yea!! No more Castiel!! I’m all for it.

• Kyle Andrews says:

Desperation? The show is doing awesome. Dean had a great arc last season, which apparently went over the heads of the big Dean fans (given the fact that most of the season was told from his POV, I have to wonder about people). And Supernatural has always had fun with casting. Linda Blair. Amber Benson. Mercedes McNab. They even had Amy Acker, though hers was less of a wink to fans than Amber or Mercedes were.

This is part of the show. Has been for a long time.

• I see what you did there says:

It’s stunt-casting because it is being pimped as a big Buffy reunion. It’s a gimmick designed to bring outside eyeballs to the show. Sure the show has done it in the past, but that doesn’t make it any less desperate, especially now that it’s core of viewers has shrunk from over 3 million to less than two.

• Kyle Andrews says:

The show plays with the genre all the time. It’s not an act of desperation, it’s a nod to the fans and to the shows that came before it. One of the things that makes the show great is its self-awareness. Part of that is understanding its roots and its fans. If the episode is low quality, I’ll be right there with you… but you’re criticizing something based on the headline of an online news report. Don’t you think that maybe, just maybe, you might be jumping the gun a little? Couldn’t we wait until after they film the episode to begin bashing it?

• I see what you did there says:

I’m not jumping the gun at all if the quality of the last season is anything to go by. So are you like the hall monitor or something?

• Kyle Andrews says:

I am the hall monitor. I ordered a sash just this morning and it should be here next week… it says “Hall Monitor” on it.

Fact remains, it’s not a sign of desperation when it has always been an aspect of the series. They use actors who are familiar to their fanbase or to the genre. It’s like when they reference a movie on the show. It would be desperate if they signed Misha for another full season even if they had no plot for him, just because he’s popular with the fans. Saying that using Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters on the show is a sign of desperation is like saying that having monsters on the show is a sign of desperation.

• I see what you did there says:

Fact is, that is just your opinion and not actually a fact.

Also there is plenty of story for Castiel already set up if the writers choose to go there. They made the guy friggin’ God. That is the start of a huge storyarc if they want it to be, but I doubt that Gamble has the imagination to see the potential since she clearly wrote this as a way to get rid of the character.

But it is interesting to see your true colors come out. Another Cas-hater. You know what’s truly desperate? How badly you Sam fans, the only ones who enjoyed last season by the way, want Misha off this show.

Your guy gets top billing, all the juicy plots, super-powers, super-emo suffering more than anyone ever (tm Gamble) and a sidekick who actually carries the show while leaving Sam and Jared to get all the glory, and yet you Sam fans are still so threatened by Misha’s and Castiel’s popularity.

It really is mind-boggling.

• Kyle Andrews says:

You’re a little weird, aren’t you? I’m not a Sam lover or a Cas hater. I actually like the Castiel character quite a lot. I like Misha a lot. I would love it if they kept Misha on as Jimmy, but I do think that Castiel’s story is playing itself out. You can’t do a season with “god” mad at the Winchesters. Because if he wants them dead, they’re dead. 22 episodes of him gritting his teeth and making angry faces makes him weak and pathetic, not powerful and scary.
            If Sam were to completely go away for five episodes, I’d be fine with that. I don’t care, as long as it’s part of a well told story.
            Not everyone is part of these strange “teams”. Honestly, I didn’t even know that this little Dean-Team/Sam-Team rivalry was going on until you popped up. Now I’m fascinated. Is there a Bobby-Team?

And yes it is a fact, not an opinion, that they have always used known genre actors on Supernatural in ways that wink at the fans. They’ve also used known genre actors in non-winking parts… it’s part of what the show is. If you don’t get that, maybe it’s time to jump ship and stick to the fanfic boards.

• Amy says:

Alright, some of these comments are examples of why I stay well away from most of the Supernatural fan community and just watch the show by myself. But I will add that if you’re going to talk about the decline in the ratings, you should always mentioned the fact that they moved the show to Friday last season, when ratings are always lower. Not just manipulate the facts to suit ones own crazy fangirl rantings.

• I see what you did there says:

So how do you explain the drop from the beginning of season 6 where the show was pushing 3 million to the sudden drop below 2 million after the big reveal about Sam’s soul? The show stayed under 2 million for several episodes and barely got over for the big, gimmicky samcentric finale. Also love the way you guys cannot support your arguments with facts so you just hurl insults and abuse. For someone who claims to stay away from the fandom, you sure have the SamTV method of “debate” down pat.

• ladyhelix says:

Stunt casting or not – I’ve never watched this before but I will tune in for Marsters. He has never failed to disappoint.

And as with his other guest spots (Torchwood, Hawaii 5-0, Angel) If I like what I see I’ll keep watching even after he’s gone.

• GreenWoman says:

@ Kyle, if there’s a Team Bobby, I’m on it!

Seriously, I’ve been watching since the beginning of the second season, and I like all the characters (Bobby best, I have to admit). Some of the fandom seems divisively over-invested in their invented rivalries and pretty toxic in their comments, not at all where I enjoy being. However, there is a big part of the fandom that *is* positive about the show, the writers, the characters; we just don’t show up in places like this very often. %-)

I never watched Buffy, and the assumption of “stunt casting” here is lost on me. But I’ve enjoyed the “name” casting they’ve done, and I expect I’ll like this episode too. I’m not seeing desperation or stunts … I’m seeing a show that’s progressively twisted, turned, revisited and reinvented itself, and I love that! Can’t wait for next season to begin!

• Tara says:

I agree with Kyle. Supernatural is not acting out in desperation. It’s really cool to see familiar faces. Now, if we could just get Sarah and David on the show, now that would be really cool.

They still need to bring in Bruce Campbell

• Kris says:

I see Misha’s howler monkeys have arrived.

• I see what you did there says:

Oh you wincesters. Always such class acts, what with your obsession with brothers screwing each other and screeching whenever they actually get converse with anyone else. Just why are you thrilled with this stunt-casting again?

• Scotty says:

LOL at you proving their point so completely.

Anyone who doesn’t adore Cas is a wincester?

• I see what you did there says:

Barring the odd exception, that has pretty much been my experience. After all, it is the Cas-haters who constantly bring up the epic love story of SAM and Dean as some kind of proof that the show must never allow the brothers to have any other significant relationships. Male or female is irrelevant judging by the hatred spewed at potential love interest and Castiel by you lot.

• Helen says:

Well since you Cashaters assume everyone who likes Cas is a D/C shipper it follows that it should apply in reverse doesn’t it? I’m sorry but you lot and your creepy insistence on how the show should be “just the boys” and their “intimate relationship” gives the game away every time. And your obsession with hating on Misha – who apparently is well-liked by both Js – does red-flag you as insane tinhatters too. Just sayin’! ;)

• Andrea says:

I see the Septic Tankers have too.

• AnneH says:

And of course the people who show up with monotonous regularity to complain about Misha Collins getting what amounts to five or ten minutes every three or four episodes aren’t howler monkeys at all, are they? o_O

Actually you seem to do that rather a lot.

• Brooke says:

I love it that you live in a world where Buffy alum count as “stunt casting.”

In any case, I’d give my left arm for any Supernatural discussion that doesn’t involve bickering between fans of Sam and fans of Dean about whose character is being treated better by, you know, the writers that CREATED them. It’s so teenybopper.

• Dom says:

Thank you Brooke! Supernatural has a history of casting Buffy alum in guest roles. It just so happened that this time it worked out to have Charisma and James on at the same time. I think this should be seen for exactly what it is, the Supernatural showrunners giving a nod to one of the shows that paved the way for this genre, especially on the CW, and the casting of some truly great actors as guest stars.
        I don’t know if I’d give my left arm for it but I’d definitely love if Supernatural fans could have a civilized conversation about a show we’re all clearly passionate about. Yes, we all have our favorite characters who we would love to see be the focus of the show but they aren’t our characters and it isn’t our show. If/when the writers, producers or studio think they’ve taken the show in the wrong direction, they will correct it or let it crash and burn. If you don’t like it, nobody is forcing you to continue watching.

• Jessa says:

Amen to that. Can’t people just like all of the characters? Why do there have to be different teams? I like Sam and Dean (and Castiel and Bobby) equally. They all add their own piece to the show puzzle.

I’m really excited to see more Buffy peeps on the show! They always bring the awesome and it just shows that the writers understand who watches the show and who might need a little push to get into it. And even if it is a network/writer’s room trick to get more viewers, who cares? We get an episode with two quality guest stars!

• L says:

It reeks of awesomeness.

• raelee514 says:

Oh please, this show has always gotten great actors, for the parts of witches, civilians they help ect. Helen Slater, Loretta Devine, Mitch Pileggi, other Whedon Alumni have been around too, Amy Acker, Julie Benz, Mercedes McNab, Amber Bensen. They’ve had Matt Fewer, Todd Stashwich Titus Welliver, Fred Lehne, Mark Pelligrino from Lost…. tons of great actors, character actors, known actors, genre actors. Probably lots I forgot about. Actors who see putting in amazing performances everywhere they go but never really know their names.

Charisma and James are just two more of those.

It’ll be awesome. They’ll fit right in with the boys, with Jim Beaver, and possibly Misha Collins (I’ll always have my finger crossed) and if we get really lucky Crowely might be around too Mark Sheppard.

And please, the show is about SAM and DEAN. She doesn’t pimp Sam more than Dean, or vice versa, the stories are told for them both every season, with added layers to the back up characters, which Sam and Dean deserve to have in there in their lives. I personally want them to have friends, and people they can count on, besides just each other. Just having each other is desolate, sad and lonely for them. They deserve more.

• moo says:

Well you’ve just proved that you don’t read or watch any Sera Gamble interviews. Or you’re just blatantly sycophantic.

• raelee514 says:

Where in that post am over flattering anyone. I’m just saying SPN has always rocked it with the casting, with strong amazing actors and genre folks. Playing with the nods to different genres and the sci-fi/fantasy crowd.

Whatever.

I enjoy the show, I just don’t need to be over negative, and this is the place where I allow myself to defend the show now and again to those who feel the need to come and hate on it for whatever reason.

• Nic says:

Desperation? Yeah, because no other show is recruiting good stunt actors, right?

11. Marie says:

This sounds almost too good to be true! Fantastic!

12. Kelleach says:

As a Supernatural fan who is still livid about the end of last season, I must admit that this is the *only* spoiler I’ve heard about s7 that actually makes me want to watch an episode. So that’s what I’ll be doing. I’ll watch for James & Charisma and then be done with it again.

13. Nicole says:

Just when I was out, they pull me back in.

Seriously, I’m looking forward to this. Charisma trading snarks with JA’s Dean is worth the ep alone.

• skepticalinquirer says:

I wouldn’t count on Sera letting charisma act against Jensen. After all that would possibly push Dean upfront and Sera can’t have that. It’s actually more likely that Sera will have Charisma’s character swoon over Sam and think he’s the bee’s knees.

• grace says:

Castiel, Zachariah, Lisa, Ben, Rufus, Ellen, Jo all acted against Jensen more than Jared. All these characters pushed Dean upfront. God forbid Sam actually gets to interact with a guest star.

• pria says:

You forgot Bobby and Cas. They both interact more with Dean and Dean’s their favorite. I don’t get where Dean fans got that Sera is a Sam fangirl but whatevs. As usual with this fandom the females get insulted. God forbid not everything being about Dean. *eye roll*

14. Laura says:

Whatever. I’d rather Gamble spend the budget on some decent writers and a regular contract for Misha Collins. Glitzy guest stars can’t hide the fact she has run out of ideas and is destroying the show.

• Jesse says:

Castiel and the f***ing angels destroyed the show. The firing of Mischa Collins was a good thing. It means the show is getting back to basics. End of story.

Oh hai thar sockpuppet who always mispells MiSHa’s name. *waves*

• pft says:

What destroyed the show was the never ending “there is something wrong with Sam” show. What is killing the show is Gamble, aka, Redundant.

• Andrea says:

Yawn, be off back to the Septic Tank, Benson. Your spite and appalling SPAG gives you away every time, so much so that I don’t know why you bother using fake names all the time.

• Paula says:

Yep, if they do get rid of Misha (which I doubt, so I wouldn’t hold your breath), it really will be the end of the story. Please step back. There is no way Gamble is going to throw away that many fans when the show is tanking.

• skepticalinquirer says:

What destroyed the show is Sera Gamble’s refusal and inability to properly treat all the characters on the show like they matter. I’m sure that both guest stars will end up gushing about how lucky Dean is to have as his life’s mission being an unworthy sidekick to such a wonderful brother like Sam who’s the bestest demigod in the world, second only to Jesus.

15. Jacko says:

You are assuming Dean will even be allowed to have any significant interaction with them. Just like everything else judging by the spoilers for this season, I expect they will somehow find a way to make these characters about Sam’s monumental manpain from Hell that no human being has ever experience before.

16. seriously says:

Sorry SPN, but even this isn’t going to be pulling me back into watching another season of Sam, his problems, and Dean who? Especially since I don’t feel that neither Cordelia nor James can take the place of Cas and the Cas and Dean relationship. I agree, this does reek of desperation. Talk about jumping the shark trying to seduce the fans back.

• Mel says:

LOL You people are so pathetic in your butthurt hate.

• seriously says:

So good to know that free speech and freedom of thought is alive and well on these boards. I wonder if anyone dares to criticize your views. Would they get to be called pathetic also? Probably, since there seems to be a concensus that only positive posts are allowed.

• Mel says:

XD You really don’t have much to move around with in there, do you?

But be my guest and keep up the bashing and whining, it’s excellent entertainment.

• deep breath says:

When it is in article like this, that doesn’t even mention Sam, Dean, or Castiel, all it does is come off as petty and wanky. You don’t actually have anything to say about the article, you just want to poke at fandom.

• Brooke says:

Do you know what freedom of speech does? It lets Mel call you pathetic. Really.

• I see what you did there says:

Yep and freedom of expression lets me call you sheeple. It’s kind of awesome that way.

• Brooke says:

And sheeples are the ones tired of Supernatural fangirl whining? Gotcha. I’m glad to be a sheeple in this case.

• I see what you did there says:

Nope! Sheeples are the brainless zombies who moan “trust kripke/gamble” whenever anyone is even remotely critical of the show.

• Brooke says:

I’m gonna say something that I am sure is going to shock you given your other posts on this page…I like ALL the characters on Supernatural! All of them! Equally! Even Bobby! (Poor Bobby doesn’t get his own contingent of “Bobby girls”?) And I don’t “trust” in anyone, and I don’t care if anyone else does either, I just watch a television show up until I don’t like it anymore, and then I stop. Sometimes I watch a TV show all the way until the series finale and never stop liking it. And I wish more people would give themselves the extra free time they would get from cutting loose a show they no longer enjoy.

• Jesse says:

So answer me this, before Castiel joined the show, why exactly were you watching? Were you like, “This show is pretty good, but I’m holding out for a hot angel in a trenchcoat who bonds with Dean when he’s not trying to kill him”? I’m honestly not trying to bash you. I’m genuinely curious. Everyone acts like Supernatural only got good when Castiel came along, four seasons in.

• Evyn says:

I don´t know about the OP, but you can watch a show without being a fan, I didn´t become one until season 4. Usually there are a lot more casual viewers than fans watching a show.

• what? says:

Before the show sent Dean to hell, I was ready to give it up. Sending Dean to hell and the premiere of season 4 was the reason I stayed. Then, unfortunately, I fell for Kripke’s carrot and stick trick, where he kept promising something great for Dean, but in the end, it really all was just a red herring to keep the fans watching. Season 6 was maybe going to be better, but then it started really getting boring. I maybe watched 5 out of the 22 episodes and out of maybe 2 repeats, I haven’t watched it again.
        Yes, I will be watching Fringe, because Peter is more fun to watch than Sam and what is happening with Peter is a lot more interesting than another version of what is wrong with Sam.
        Grimm is also sounding interesting, so for those who have the advice of don’t like, don’t watch? No problem, won’t watch and the only character I will miss is Dean Winchester. I can only hope Jensen doesn’t sign for more seasons and moves on. This show is only putting him in a rut where in the end, there is no advancement, just dreary days working with two divas.

• MsJackson says:

Hello Sara(I think I’m spelling it right) I was wondering when you’d be on spilling your mindless drivel. Go back to the TWOP sewer.

• I see what you did there says:

Oh man, it really does burn you sheeple that you can’t take over TWoP the way you have SamTV and the CW Lounge, doesn’t it. Come on, tell us we’re watching the show wrong if we don’t love everything about Sam and the show. See how that goes over when you don’t have the mods in your pockets.

17. JDHetherington says:

If only they made Supernatural a part of the Buffy family, so we could actually have Cordelia and Spike back on tv…. I miss them.

18. Ashley says:

This is officially the beat news ever! Buffy is my all time favorite show and Spike is my all time favorite character! To combine that with supernatural is epically amazing!!!!

19. Theresa says:

Could someone just give James Marsters his own series already. This cameo stuff is fine but he deserves much more.

• Dani says:

They gave him his own show and friggin “SyFy” decided to drop it before it even aired. They said they’ll be showing the pilot episode only, so hopefully SOMEONE will pick it up. This man does need his own regular show!

20. Mel says:

Sounds great!! Can’t wait for season 7 and to see Sam, Dean, Cordy and Spike together on my screen. *fangirls*

21. Melody says:

I think the two of them will make an interesting married couple. As a fan of the show, I’ll be watching.

22. claire harding says:

whooop whoooop…..cant wait for this episode!! loveeeeeee james masters :-D

23. Allie says:

I am watching Supernatural just fro this episode.

24. MiniZIm says:

This is awesome!!! Can’t everyone just relax and stop bitching about the season before it even friggin starts??!? To those that say this reeks of desperation, I don’t think so. They’ve had other buffy alum on the show before and I feel the general thinking behind this was, hey wouldn’t it be cool to have cordy and spike on the show together?? Stop trying to make it more than it is, the writers are mostly sci-fi geeks themselves so this wouldn’t suprise me.

25. katpala says:

seriously? steadily shrinking fanbase?lol guess you missed all the fan-driven awards for the show, and moving the show to the LARGE hall for comicon to accomodate for all the fans who showed up. maybe you’re unaware of the steady ratings the show has maintained in its friday night timeslot. from everything ive read, s7 is looking to be a very intriguing season. there’s a new big bad that the boys have never seen before, sammy dealing with a near psychotic break,the boys once again working as a fluent team,dean working thru his internal issues, the boys on the run from everyone and having to learn new skills,no more noir style of writing and back to the 2 hero outlaw style that made the show so great. : )

• nancy says:

I guess you missed the ratings falling below 2 million and Fringe beating the crap out of Supernatural in both DVR and live viewing. Yes, there is a shrinking fanbase, but that doesn’t mean that a lot of fans still don’t want to see their favorite stars live. Season 7 is sounding like the dud that season 6 was and only those who favor Sam as the only lead to the show are happy.

But time will tell. As for the two heroes, maybe somebody can remind Gamble that there are in fact two leads, not just one, as she seems to think.

No doubt these two character will focus on how awesome Sam is and Dean Who?

• Jesse says:

I’d actually say that for a while it was the other way around, with Dean getting the lead stories and Sam getting sidelined. There’s usually an equal balance over the seasons of stories which are centric to each lead. As long as Sam and Dean come back in focus, rather than the angels, I’m happy.

• notreally says:

No, see, Sam was always the one with the story, it was just that when Dean had other things to do besides wipe Sam’s butt then Dean shone and was more present. Sam tends to disappear whenever there’s a better character around. Which is why in season 6, nobody had any story or had anything to do but watch Sam do everything, so the focus would only be on Sam. When the show went back to normal, like in Frontierland and Mommie Dearest, Sam disappeared again because the other characters had something better to do and their screen presence showed, making the episodes better.

• Jesse says:

All the Castiel fans have decided that since they fired Mischa Collins, apparently NO ONE will ever watch the show again. LOL Poor, sad, delusional little twits. Good riddance. Let the show get back to basics, and let those who don’t give a crap about the angels be happy again.

Also, great news about Marsters and Carpenter. Although it’s funny that this is billed as a reunion because they barely had any scenes together on Buffy and Angel.

• I see what you did there says:

This seems rather obvious, but clearly you’re not that bright so I’ll spell it out for you. The Sam fans will keep watching because they are getting what they want which is MiSHa off the show so he doesn’t take away attention away from their pwecuss widdlw Sammy-wammy. The questions, is are there enough Sam fans to keep this show afloat. I actually think yes because The CW has such low standards so as long as the show can pull a half-mil viewers, that should be keep it going until at least season 10.

• Trina says:

You sound kind of bitter. You might want to give Fringe a try. It’s a good show and it’s on at the same time as SPN. That way you won’t be forced to watch a show that makes you so unhappy.

• skepticalinquirer says:

I hope that you’re not sad if a lot of people actually follow your advice. Because it’s actually good advice since there really is no hope for Dean fans given that even the actor has given up hope on getting anything on the show.

• Julie says:

Good advice! =)

• Jesse says:

Ahhhh, gotta love the trolls who display the worst of the Supernatural fandom. Go back under your bridge, bitch. I hear a goat coming.

• I see what you did there says:

Jesse, Jesse, Jesse. Such eloquent debate. Clearly you are member of the esteemed Septic Tank. But thanks for taking time away from trolling Misha Collins’ twitter to come to share your insightful comments with us. By the way, are you one of the people accusing him of being the Anti-Christ in all seriousness?

• Cody says:

You might want to keep in mind that a heck of a lot of Cas fans voted for the show in all its awards, and also show up to the various conferences. In fact Misha’s M&Gs and photo ops sell out faster than Jared’s. ;-) (sammy, lol. Let me guess: sammywsgirl/Kyellin/samislarger?)

26. Michelle says:

I love both James and Charisma to pieces, but this just feels wrong. :(

27. katpala says:

as for dean, i have a feeling that he will have his own very emotional storyline to counter sam’s. if youve noticed, we’ve gotten alot of informative spoilers regarding sam’s storyline but very generic spoilers for dean. last year, was the complete opposite. we got alot of info about dean but very little about sam. they were keeping sam’s storyline as secretive as possible. i think theyre doing the same for dean for this season. ; )

• muse says:

I would love to believe you but the past season and half has been terrible for Dean’s character development and all the things that I hated about the past season and a half seem to be amping up even more this year according to the spoilers. I have lost all faith in this writing team and I am literally dreading how Gamble is going to dismantle Dean’s character even more this year.

• whatchusay? says:

No. Last season the spoilers were all about Sam coming back wrong and Dean having some half-baked domestic storyline. The season played out exactly that way, with most of it being all about Sam coming back wrong and Dean getting nothing. Once again, the spoilers are about Sam and nothing about Dean. Season 7 will play just like season 6, with Dean being all about Sam, especially now that GAmble is getting rid of any competition by getting rid of Cas, and Sam being the center of attention, again. Bored already, I don’t care who they put on this show. It’s not going to make the show better, it’s just going to make Gamble more smug and egotistical, and she’s already egotistical enough.

28. melinda says:

This is AWESOME!!!! I would love to see the two of them play a couple. It’ll be very interesting. I miss BUFFY!!

29. Angel says:

Totally made my day finding this out!!!

30. Kat says:

Yet one more reason SPN is the best show on television! I can’t wait to see Spike and Cordy together but I’d like to see some Dean/Cordy action too!

31. Drew says:

Am I the only one who actually watched last season? Why are people complaining that Dean didn’t get any storylines? Most of the season was told from Dean’s POV as he tried to figure out what was going on. Sam (the real Sam) wasn’t even in the first half of the season and they didn’t exactly give Robo-Sam the bulk of the plot to carry. Dean had a great arc with Lisa and Ben (though the resolution was horribly out of character and wrong, so I hope they revisit that).

Last season was all about Dean! They didn’t even let Sam remember Hell and get all dramatic about it.

I’m starting to think that people base their opinions of the show on which actor they like most. A lot of the replies have been about how the show is over without Misha, yet we don’t even know what his role will be yet (Jim Beaver has never been a series regular), or how Dean doesn’t get enough storyline… which he does, but people don’t seem to notice. How about basing opinions on the show itself and not fanfic ideas that you have.

• Marie says:

“I’m starting to think that people base their opinions of the show on which actor they like most.”

That is precisely how it works. There’s never enough storyline/screentime/worship-from-other-characters for a stan’s favorite, even when there’s plenty of it.

• I see what you did there says:

Are you going to tut tut the Sam fans who are saying that Sam has nothing too or do you just reserve your lecturing for dean fans? Now, I wonder if that’s a sign of bias too?

• Drew says:

I’d say the same thing to either group. The show has done a fine job of telling stories for both of its leads. There are times when one has more to do than the other, but they usually balance out. And last season, Dean had a TON of stuff to do, so I don’t see what the complaints are all about.

I’m a grown, straight man. I don’t have Sam posters or Dean posters hanging on my walls. I like them both just fine, but I don’t obsess over them. This is a high quality show, with great writing and great acting. To pretend that it’s some teenie-bopper drool fest is an insult to the show. Maybe those people should hop on over to The Vampire Diaries or something.

• I see what you did there says:

Oh good. Then I expect to see you act like the mature MAN that you claim to be and take respond to the samgirls who are saying Sam had was invisible in seasons 4 & 5.

• Drew says:

Okay… Umm, hello? Sam fans? It’s me… I just wanted to let you know that it’s silly to say that Sam was invisible in seasons four and five. I mean, he was kinda the driving force behind the apocalypse and all, so I don’t see how that makes sense.

Anyway, I know you didn’t really provoke this response, but I just wanted to let you know how I felt. Okay?

Thanks a bunch. Love ya.

I feel closer to everyone now. Can we get a group hug thing going?

• I see what you did there says:

Cool. Thanks. I’ll cut and paste this in response to some of the comments above then, since you must have missed them in your big hurry to prove how fair and objective you are.

• mervin says:

I laugh too at the suggestion that Dean was invisible because he sure wasnt. Nobody has more screentime or speeches than Dean.

• what? says:

HOw was last season about Dean? What? The two frekin episodes he had about his domesticity, then for the next ten episodes he was all about Sam till he and Lisa broke up for the nth time, then back to Sam? Yeah, I’m sure that for some fans if Dean isn’t 24/7 about Sam then the show is about Dean but in all honesty, Gamble showed her true self in season 6 and she’s a complete Samfan who will only listen to Sam fans.
      Thus the end of Cas, because the Sam fans don’t want Cas, and thus another season of exploring Sam’s hell experience, because it has to be all about Sam, and thus the sidelining of Dean, because nothing can get in the way of the Sam Winchester Show.
      This move cries desperation in the most obvious way. The boards have been dead and the buzz for the show has been non-existant. Gamble, instead of doing something smart, is doing something desperate. Remember how excited everyone was over Mitch Paleggi coming to the show? Well, look what a sad case that turned out to be. Gamble doesn’t know how to run a show, so she’s depending on quick and easy jimmicks to excite the fans. She has nothing else.

• Drew says:

Have you ever watched a noir movie? The main character is the guy who is going from place to place, trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Last season, Dean was that guy. He was the one we were following through the mess that was created in his absence. He was our point of view. Sam didn’t even appear until midway through the season, unless you count robo-Sam, and he wasn’t exactly ruling the show when he was on. We didn’t even know what his deal was.
        Sorry, but to say that Dean didn’t get any plot last season is off base. It’s like saying that Veronica Mars never got any storylines because every episode was about the criminals and victims.

• skepticalinquirer says:

I watch noir movies. Whatever hash Sera was serving last season, it wasn’t noir. Also, Veronica Mars is always pushed as the smart, good one and would not dissed as stupid, rusty, unable to hunt and shady.

• Drew says:

Beg to differ. There are many noir films where the main POV character is outside of the mystery and their exploration of that mystery is the driving force of the story. Dean, by being absent for a year, was an outsider when he came back into the story. It was through him that we saw the story play out.

I don’t get what people want. Dean’s character is about the people around him. That’s who he is. So should they just create some completely out of the blue storyline for him, just so he can have more drama that surrounds him? I don’t get what you want. Maybe if you told me specifically which story they should have done more with I’ll understand this point of view more.

• I see what you did there says:

First of all, comparison between VM and Dean is off-base because Veronica herself was central to the mystery and it was as much about solving the crime committed against her as it was Lily’s murder. However, there was absolutely no mystery that involved Dean directly. The entire season was about what happened to Sam’s soul. Dean was just there to drive Sam’s plot like he always is. What happened to Sam, how to get his soul back and how Sam ended up topside without it. That was the last season’s main mystery with what Castiel was up to, happening largely off screen and then dovetailing into how Sam was dragged out of the hole. There were no real twists and turns, just a series of nonsensical red herrings that added nothing to the story. To compare the shoddy season 6 of SPN to a great noir series like VM is actually quite an insult in my opinion.

But Drew I’m disappointed to see that a mature MAN like you is adopting the usual samgirl whining about how Sam was absent for half the season. Are you going to claim next that he didn’t get any focus at all because his soul wasn’t present, despite Dean’s every waking thought being about Sam?

If so, you’re heading down a slippery slope my friend. Soon you will be claiming that Sam is neglected because we don’t get inside his head enough despite multiple episodes literally taking place inside his head. Or that you will never forgive the show until Sam gets his version of ITB where Jensen is absent except for a couple of minutes of screentime, even though ITB was completely about establishing how Sam became the center of the mytharc, while completely ignoring how little screentime Jensen/Dean had in episodes like AHBL1 or even last season’s finale?

I certainly hope not since you are STRAIGHT MALE ADULT and therefore, must be by definition, objective and not prone to this kind of blatant character bias.

• Drew says:

Good lord, get off it. I don’t care about Sam! He’s a swell guy and all, but I care far more about the stories being told than holding a stopwatch to each episode to make sure that each character gets equal time. I like them both. Really. Why do you have this strange idea that I have to be on Dean’s team or Sam’s team? Can we invent a Jo team and can I be on that one?
            I don’t care that Sam was gone for half of the season. Actually, I liked that twist. Awesome job, Sera!

What’s your obsession with the grown straight male line? It was to show that I’m not in love with these actors and honestly don’t care if they have a ton of screen time as long as the story is solid. Which it was.

• Lily says:

I agree with you Drew, for the most part. The story is about two brothers. Now I think what troubles fans is the continuous “what’s wrong with Sam” storyline. This only shows a lack of imagination on her part. We need to move on. I like Cas, and I think he is important to the overall myth arc that has not been resolved. The season 4 and 5 arc, which dealt with Dean has yet to be finished. Now, I do think Gamble is a weak showrunner because she is discounting the importance of the people which enrich the lives of the Winchester boys. Their world has become so small and filled with nothing but sadness that one has to wonder how these guys face each day. I agree with you about the handling of the Lisa storyline. How does erasing her memories keep her safe? Sera wrote this episode so it’s not well thought out idea on her part, and another let’s rip Dean’s heart out some more while we’re at it. UGH.
      I have not read any spoilers because I really don’t want to form an opinion on season 7 without seeing it for myself. I admit I am a Deangirl, but I don’t discount the importance of Sam. I love this show and I hope the people who surround Gamble will rein her in because she has given interviews in the past, which do make you wonder where her head is. Just read some of Mo Ryan’s interviews. I want to see this show succeed.
      Basically, everyone has a point on this board, but I wish people would express their opinion in a civil manner. As for the Buffy reunion, well, we have had many actors who have performed on Angel, and Buffy so this is not new, but I look forward to this episode.

• Drew says:

I can see that. But if they brought Sam back after spending a year in hell and he was perfectly normal, I would have been upset. Finding out what was wrong with Sam was a great mystery last season. Honestly, I was eager to see each new episode so I could get a hint at what was going on… And this is where I think the problem arose for some.
        With each of the other seasons, we went in with an idea of where the season was going. We knew the mission of each year. However, last season was more vague and it was about figuring out what was going on. I think a lot of people didn’t like that for whatever reason. I did.
        They couldn’t just repeat what they did with Dean in Hell. They couldn’t just make Sam normal. They couldn’t have it turn out that he didn’t go to Hell. What they did was a natural progression of the story and I enjoyed it. The show is about family and Sam does have a lot more issues than Dean, but that’s normal. Dean is the big brother who takes care of his family (whichever member of his family needs help at the time). I don’t want them just pulling some random drama out of a hat for Dean so that he can get more screen time. They’re progressed the story naturally and I respect that. I don’t think Sera dropped the ball, and I think it’s unfair to say that some of these developments show how horrible she is, because Eric Kripke has been there throughout the development of these stories. “Showrunner” doesn’t mean that it’s all her, all the time. It means that she’s in charge of running the day to day business of the show. They’ve been reducing the number of people who the guys can rely on… I think that’s part of the point. They know how important these people are, and they’re taking them away. So the question isn’t about how good a showrunner Sera is, it’s about what happens when the boys have nobody left to turn to… It’s a legit story.
        I did have an issue with Dean taking Lisa and Ben’s memories, because THAT seemed irrational to me, from a writing standpoint. It made no sense within the context of the show. It made no sense in the context of the character. It puts them in more danger than it spares… It felt like they wanted to get rid of characters that the fans didn’t like, so they just erased them. If that’s where it’s left, I’ll probably always think it’s sloppy. If it goes somewhere, it could be great. It’s like Adam… how could they not mention their brother who is in Hell? It drove me crazy! But if/when they pick up that thread again, maybe they’ll explain why the only time anyone seemed to remember Adam was when Dean was dead.
        I don’t think the show is incapable of messing up, but I actually liked last season and the different style and feel of it. I’m glad there was a line drawn between the apocalypse arc and the show that came after.

• Lily says:

I respect your opinion so we’ll agree to disagree about Sera. Now the issue with Sam shouldn’t be handled the way Dean’s hell was because that was a terrible way to handle Dean’s 40 years in hell.
          Poor Dean was ridiculed for having PTSD. Some people said he should man-up and stop whining, and the stinging words Sam lashed out at him; calling Dean weak and the “boohoo” remarks about his experience. I know people will blame the demon blood, but Sam did the same thing in Asylum so it was not the demon blood; it was Sam. So here lies the issue with “what’s wrong with Sam” storyline.
          Now do I want a contrived storyline for Dean? Absolutely not! I do want answers about what has happened to the part of Dean he left in the pit. Why is Dean such a magnet for the elements in the supernatural world like Death? Where is his journey of self discovery? What happened to Dean that has shaped him into such a damaged person that he thinks he is not worthy of happiness?
          Sam is 28 and Dean is 32 so Sam is way beyond the little brother syndrome. Yes, family is everything! But there has to be more for each brother. The most endearing words I have heard from Sam were in the season finale. “I won’t leave my brother alone out there.” And Sam was able to reach his brother with all his personalities now one.
          So do I have hope for the brothers to regain the bond of season 1 and 2? Absolutely! But I want a rich storyline for Dean too. We are now in season 7 so the opportunity is there.

32. katpala says:

fact remains that ‘supernatural’ is still perfoming well on friday nights, its holding its own and thats all that matters. do i wish it was back on thursday nights? yes. however, i and many others have followed the show to fridays. i think alot of the complaining as of late, have come from viewers who watch soley for castiel. while i do like cas, the show was not created around him. i do think cas will be ‘around’ throughout most of the season, but his time will eventually come to an end. i’ll be sad to see him go, but since i watch for the brothers and their bond, i will continue supporting the show. for those who watch soley for cas,why not try giving the first 2 seasons of the show a chance? maybe then you’ll better understand why the rest of us are so loyal to the entire show and its 2 main characters.

• muse says:

I watch for Dean and I am extremely unhappy with what I’m hearing about this season. The only people who are excited about this season and the hardcore Sam and Padalecki fans.

33. Joe says:

Calling it a Buffy reunion seems a bit of an exaggeration. Both were regulars on Buffy and Angel but never once during the same season. What, did their characters interact in something like two episodes over eight years?

• Jessi says:

Um. Sorry, but did you not watch Season 2 of Buffy?

• AJ says:

And season 1 and 5 of Angel.

• Joe says:

Uh, key words interact silly. They interact in two episodes of Angel (as said above). It’s been longer since I’ve seen Buffy season two but I can’t recall a single exchange between Cordelia and Spike during that season. Yes, they’re both in it (Spike as a recurring guest star) but almost never in the same scenes (Spike spent most of his time with Dru or Angel or fighting Buffy. In other words, just because they were appearing in the same episodes doesn’t mean they were actually working together closely. It’s silly to call this a reunion.

• L says:

Yeah, yeah, Cordy was annoying. But special in her own special way. LOL

• mjkbk says:

How much they interacted in the Buffyverse is hardly the issue. Are we going to start counting how many lines they actually addressed to each other as proof that it’s NOT a ‘reunion’? They both played major characters on “Buffy”. Ergo, it’s a ‘reunion’ of two major ACTORS from “Buffy”.

34. L says:

Frakkin’ awesome!

35. L says:

When is Syfy going to pickup “Three Inches” with James Marsters?

36. L says:

Best spoiler ever!

37. L says:

I love Supernatural.

38. Sivat says:

I love Charisma Carpenter and I love Supernatural. She needs to be on a show, any show, full time!

39. Jessi says:

Um. Sorry, but did you not watch Season 2 of Buffy?

40. Evyn says:

Still not good enough reason to watch but good try!

41. Jaime B. says:

Soooooooo excited. I am a hardcore Buffy & Supernatural fan. This sounds like a good match

42. raelee514 says:

EEEE dolphin noises!

43. Carrie says:

Oh, man! I am geeking out! “Buffy” & “Angel” are all-time favorites of mine and now I adore “Supernatural”. The idea of the Winchester brothers sharing scenes with Spike and Cordy makes me very happy!

44. Lisa says:

When is Syfy going to pickup “Three Inches” with James Marsters?

• mjkbk says:

Syfy already announced that “Three Inches” is dead as a potential series. If we’re lucky, we might–MIGHT–get to see the pilot episode someday on Syfy. But otherwise, nada.

45. Melanie says:

Very cool news!!! I’ve been wanting James Marsters on SPN ever since – well, ever. James and Charisma is awesome casting.
    Season 7 is sounding better and better!!!

46. Corinne says:

Love this! The Buffy nerd in me just had a mini heart attack!
    Can’t wait to see the episodes!

47. Donna says:

Good to know.
    I’ll go out of my way to see Marsters but Carpenter… not so much.

48. L says:

This spoiler made my day.

49. bhm1304 says:

In my personal opinion the my favorite guest stars on “Supernatural” have been Tricia Helfer in the episode “Roadkill” because she was in the entire episode and had a fantastic part and the legend Chad Everett in “The Curious Case of Dean Winchester” when he played the older version of Dean so well it was uncanny. These guest spots sound great who doesn’t love Charisma and James? This show has always been great why do so many folks come here to bi#ch and moan about good news?